Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman raped on train as bystanders did nothing

el midgetron

1 hour ago, susieice said:

You don't have to get physically involved. If you are afraid to start a confrontation, and there's always a chance someone is armed, just move away and use your phone to call 911. 

Probably they where filming it to share it on tiktok...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Probably they where filming it to share it on tiktok...

Sad but this happens a lot.

• Sad 3

why are we surprised? For few decades we teach that in schools, you can't fight back, you can't get involved, you get in troubles for standing up to a bully, or defending someone,  it's discouraged , and frown upon. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Too bad nobody had a gun.

Even if they did,  i do not expect anyone to use it.  the laws are not on a side of those civilians who defend themselves or others, especially in liberals states and cities.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, aztek said:

Even if they did,  i do not expect anyone to use it.  the laws are not on a side of those civilians who defend themselves or others, especially in liberals states and cities.

I would have smacked him in the face with it personally.  then again I'm sure I would have knocked that guy out on the spot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I would have smacked him in the face with it personally.  then again I'm sure I would have knocked that guy out on the spot. 

Sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Sure. 

I've been in crisis situations before and know how I respond.  If he's on top of someone else nothing will stop me from popping him a good fist in the ear.  He'd wake up in the hospital and never know how he got there.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

On 10/17/2021 at 12:27 PM, Jon the frog said:

Well you can intervene and after that getting screwed... For example, my brother and pals had taken a man out of a party with the security staff because he was sexually harassing and touching womens without their approval. The guy made a complaint to the university that they where racist and in his country doing that was normal. He won... security staff involved got dismissed. 

Right now, you can get screwed when you help people out. They could have acted fast and the guy would call the cops and say they are racist or they have assaulted him... they could have waitt and stop him in mid rape without knowing if the guy was armed killing one of them or the victim. In anycase, wating would have made the woman a victim anyway. Acting fast could have screwed them. It's hard to pull it right ans it's why people don't act.

Too bad for your brother and pals but at least they did the right thing and that's what count. 

Now in this case of this poor woman, she was harassed/assaulted by this idiot for about 40 minutes and the rape took about 8 minutes and nobody did a thing ? 
Not even a 911 call ? From the surveillance video officers concluded that there were people witnessing the act with phones in their hands.
People were holding their phone up in the direction of this woman being attacked, possibly recording. How effed up. 

What if this women was your mom or your sister ? Would you still just let it be ?
What the hell is wrong with some people today. If you see a person in need you are supposed to help them in my opinion.
I have helped people out in the past and I will do it again if needed and afterwards I realized that I risked getting a beating or being stabbed
but it never stopped me or neither of my friends or family members.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:23 PM, papageorge1 said:

Woman raped on train as bystanders did nothing

I've learned to turn a suspicious eye to dramatic headlines on the internet.

And yet, if the headline was WOMAN RAPED BY GHOST ON TRAIN AS BYSTANDERS DID NOTHING, you would believe it.

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2021 at 3:23 PM, susieice said:

You don't have to get physically involved. If you are afraid to start a confrontation, and there's always a chance someone is armed, just move away and use your phone to call 911. 

Don't commuter trains have security alarms? In the city I live in, all public transportation vehicles have security alarms that passengers can press in the event of an emergency or crisis. Help can arrive faster than a 911 call.

Anyway, whilst I believe there's something to the bystander effect, I also believe that with some people schadenfreude also plays a role. Might explain why in many cases of public rape, some bystanders laugh and revel in a victim's suffering.

• Like 2

Charges ‘unlikely’ for bystanders who failed to report rape say prosecutors

Bystanders who stood by and failed to help a woman raped on a Philadelphia commuter train last week are unlikely to face criminal charges, local prosecutors say.

CCTV cameras show that bystanders on the train "did nothing" as the assault took place, transport officials said.

Police had suggested earlier that commuters who may have filmed the incident could be prosecuted.

It is unclear how many other passengers were in the train car when the incident took place.

A final decision on potential criminal charges, he said, will rest with the Delaware County district attorney's office once it completes an investigation.

While Mr Bernhardt did not specify what charges witnesses could face, he said it would be "very difficult to bring charges against those" who saw the attack but did not help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58949611

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Charges ‘unlikely’ for bystanders who failed to report rape say prosecutors

Bystanders who stood by and failed to help a woman raped on a Philadelphia commuter train last week are unlikely to face criminal charges, local prosecutors say.

CCTV cameras show that bystanders on the train "did nothing" as the assault took place, transport officials said.

Police had suggested earlier that commuters who may have filmed the incident could be prosecuted.

It is unclear how many other passengers were in the train car when the incident took place.

A final decision on potential criminal charges, he said, will rest with the Delaware County district attorney's office once it completes an investigation.

While Mr Bernhardt did not specify what charges witnesses could face, he said it would be "very difficult to bring charges against those" who saw the attack but did not help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58949611

Not helping was wrong but I really don't that should be a crime.

That leads to too many devil in the detail situations 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Don't commuter trains have security alarms? In the city I live in, all public transportation vehicles have security alarms that passengers can press in the event of an emergency or crisis. Help can arrive faster than a 911 call.

Anyway, whilst I believe there's something to the bystander effect, I also believe that with some people schadenfreude also plays a role. Might explain why in many cases of public rape, some bystanders laugh and revel in a victim's suffering.

Apparently, the trains do have emergency call buttons you can press to speak with the operator of the train to report something that's going on. I think it notifies the engineer and the conductor. No one pushed it.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Not helping was wrong but I really don't that should be a crime.

That leads to too many devil in the detail situations 

I think I agree.   They should just have their identities released and have to take all the shaming of them that would follow.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 8:11 PM, thedutchiedutch said:

Ridiculous that no one did anything, not even a 911 call. Sometimes you want this to be a crime itself.
I hope this guy rots in jail and meanwhile gets it himself in the shower a few times. 
I hope the lady recovers from this.

She won't, believe me...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, okispider said:

She won't, believe me...

So sorry to hear this Oki :(

On 10/18/2021 at 12:10 PM, OverSword said:

Too bad nobody had a gun.

Flying bullets in a closed metal space? Not a great idea ….

Is your body made of metal?

1 minute ago, Raptor Witness said:

Flying bullets in a closed metal space? Not a great idea ….

Is your body made of metal?

You skipped:

On 10/18/2021 at 10:40 AM, OverSword said:

• Thanks 1