Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4-year-old girl vanishes from a tent in Western Australia

Eldorado

WA Police forensics officers gathering evidence of possible scoping at Cleo Smith's family home in Carnarvon

A forensic squad has been dusting the fence and windows of the Carnarvon home on Saturday morning.

Officers have also been taking photos of sections of the fence.

A police source has told the ABC that officers were only gathering evidence on the outside of the property at this stage. 

It's understood police are investigating the possibility someone had been scoping the house in the days and weeks prior to Cleo’s disappearance.

The ABC is not suggesting that Cleo's family were in any way involved in her disappearance.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-23/forensics-officers-gather-evidence-at-cleo-smith-home/100544340

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 6:21 PM, joc said:

14164948_cloetent(2).jpg.2e4ac5161de98a058bfb6430893d3d37.jpg

Looks like an unconventional tent...more like a tarp of sorts...still...in the dead of night...in the dark...I am quite not getting how an abduction could take place.

And the  police said that she could not have unzipped the tent herself.

To be abducted...someone would have to go into the tent...how does that happen at 1:30am without waking Mama and Papa bear?  

Plus the sleeping bag was gone.  V e r y   suspicious and I don't care what the parents say.

Yea , thats what i was thinking , I mean are they saying someone came into the tent and took her , and nobody wakes up , not even her sister that is sleeping next to her?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, razman said:

Yea , thats what i was thinking , I mean are they saying someone came into the tent and took her , and nobody wakes up , not even her sister that is sleeping next to her?

The family recently purchased a brand-new tent — one big enough for their family of four — with internal dividers to create a parents' room and a children's room.

Ms Smith spent much of her childhood on camping trips with family.

The Smith's destination of choice was just under an hour's drive north of town at the Blowholes.

"Probably about 100 metres from where our tent was [when Cleo disappeared] is where we stayed at the same age," Ms Smith said. 

The couple had been excited to continue traditions and take their daughters to the Blowholes.

"I turned around to Jake and just said, 'Cleo is gone'," she said.

The couple checked around the tent, around the campsite — anywhere she might have wandered — but there was no sign of her.

"Then we got in the car driving around everywhere we could," Ms Smith said.

"We grew up camping here at literally the same age.

"We just looked everywhere we went as kids, and we couldn't find her.

"Then we realised, we have to call the cops — she is not here."

The Blowholes are 10 hours away from where they live.  I also find it strange that parents would take such young children on such a long adventure.  I understand 'traditions' but the mother said they grew up camping there at literally the same age.  How much of the area would she actually remember from her childhood?  Just wondering.  They looked everywhere they went as kids?  Strange thing to say.  What is even stranger is that they looked for her at all.  If you woke up, the tent was wide open and your child and sleeping bag were gone...would you 'drive around looking for her'?  She also said that Cleo didn't like to wander.  Seriously, your child is gone, and her sleeping bag and the tent door is unzipped wide open.  Wouldn't the first thing a rational parent would do is call the police?  I think they went to the blowholes so far away, not to continue a tradition, but to get far, far away...so they could abuse Cleo without any suspicions of people who knew them.  Then, when things went bad...they dumped her body in a blowhole.  Pure speculation, but based on an even more bizarre story from a couple of years ago in Dallas....I think that is a likely scenario.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

The Blowholes are 10 hours away from where they live.  I also find it strange that parents would take such young children on such a long adventure.  I understand 'traditions' but the mother said they grew up camping there at literally the same age.  How much of the area would she actually remember from her childhood?  Just wondering.  They looked everywhere they went as kids?  Strange thing to say.  What is even stranger is that they looked for her at all.  If you woke up, the tent was wide open and your child and sleeping bag were gone...would you 'drive around looking for her'?  She also said that Cleo didn't like to wander.  Seriously, your child is gone, and her sleeping bag and the tent door is unzipped wide open.  Wouldn't the first thing a rational parent would do is call the police?  I think they went to the blowholes so far away, not to continue a tradition, but to get far, far away...so they could abuse Cleo without any suspicions of people who knew them.  Then, when things went bad...they dumped her body in a blowhole.  Pure speculation, but based on an even more bizarre story from a couple of years ago in Dallas....I think that is a likely scenario.  

Plenty of people drive 10 hours one way for a vacation.

However, Quobba Blowholes is an hour away from Carnarvon.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Plenty of people drive 10 hours one way for a vacation.

However, Quobba Blowholes is an hour away from Carnarvon.

Ya...I was confusing places ...

Cleo Smith and her family are from the WA coastal town of Carnarvon, about 900 kilometres north of Perth — or about a 10-hour drive — situated where the Gascoyne River meets the Indian Ocean.

Yeah...plenty of people go 10 hours on vacation...but not with a 7 month old and not camping...but it doesn't matter...it wasn't 10 hours as you point out.  However;  the question still begs to be asked...why take a 7 month old camping to begin with.  Obviously because 'they' wanted to go camping and the kids are just part of the trip.   Which begs another question...actually the same question ...why take a 7 month old camping?  The fact that the answer is because 'they' wanted to go camping already on it's own kind of suggests that they put their own wants before the kids needs.  Not to mention that they are Catholic...oh wait I just did.  Not to mention that the father has his eye-brow pierced, oh wait I just did.  But when you put all that together with the fact that the tent was wide open in the middle of the night and the toddler is gone...plus the fact that they didn't call the police right away...they went 'searching' for her on their own to places they remembered as kids....I just think the whole thing is very suspicious and I think that sooner or later it's going to start pointing back directly at the parents.

Edited by joc
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, joc said:

Ya...I was confusing places ...

Yeah...plenty of people go 10 hours on vacation...but not with a 7 month old and not camping...but it doesn't matter...it wasn't 10 hours as you point out.  However;  the question still begs to be asked...why take a 7 month old camping to begin with.  Obviously because 'they' wanted to go camping and the kids are just part of the trip.   Which begs another question...actually the same question ...why take a 7 month old camping?  The fact that the answer is because 'they' wanted to go camping already on it's own kind of suggests that they put their own wants before the kids needs.  Not to mention that they are Catholic...oh wait I just did.  Not to mention that the father has his eye-brow pierced, oh wait I just did.  But when you put all that together with the fact that the tent was wide open in the middle of the night and the toddler is gone...plus the fact that they didn't call the police right away...they went 'searching' for her on their own to places they remembered as kids....I just think the whole thing is very suspicious and I think that sooner or later it's going to start pointing back directly at the parents.

Not the biological father but step father.  I don't know what the stats are on that.

Anyway, CCTV shows Cleo Smith was at the campsite.  The sleeping bag hasn't turned up.

Where did it say the family is Catholic?  The 4yo went to a Catholic school.  But, what has that got to do with anything? 

Edited by Golden Duck

21 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Not the biological father but step father.  I don't know what the stats are on that.

Anyway, CCTV shows Cleo Smith was at the campsite.  The sleeping bag hasn't turned up.

Where did it say the family is Catholic?  The 4yo went to a Catholic school.  But, what has that got to do with anything? 

I just figured they were Catholic since her daughter went to a 'Catholic' school.  What it has to do with is the very well known fact that the Catholic Church has a long history of priests abusing children.  And those children who were abused are much more likely to become abusers themselves when they grow up.  On it's face it means nothing, but in the light of the current situation, to an 'investigator' I think little things mean much more.  Like the piercing in the step-father's eyebrow.  On it's face that also means nothing, but again, there is a stereotype of drug users and piercings.  Somebody somewhere is going to have to explain exactly how the 4 year old, who doesn't like to wander, disappeared in the middle of the night, without her parents knowledge.  

• Like 1

WA Police seek car spotted leaving campsite shortly after Cleo Smith abducted

A car was spotted leaving the remote campsite where four-year-old Cleo Smith was snatched from her family’s tent, a short time after she was last seen.

https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/one-week-on-cleo-smith-remains-missing-and-police-are-convinced-someone-knows-something/news-story/3b0b798a059b1c0e726fbba2b454d354

• Like 4

The man watching the house as probably bio-dad. I wonder upon what terms that bio-mum and bio-dad separated. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The man watching the house as probably bio-dad. I wonder upon what terms that bio-mum and bio-dad separated. 

Which house?  I read bio-dad is in Mandurah.

@joc, Mandurah is an hour south of Perth.

• Like 2

“Someone does know something about this,” WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson told reporters on Sunday.

“Cleo just can’t simply disappear from that tent without a third party, another person or persons knowing.

Typically, in the states anyway, biodads who kidnap their own children do it in an environment close to the normal routine of the child.  

I still maintain...the parents.  How does anyone pull off something like that...as dark as dark can be?  They don't.  Without a third party, hmmm that only leaves ...uh...the parents.

• Like 3

11 days now since she went missing. I heard that the Police seized CCTV footage showing a car speeding off from campground where Cleo Smith vanished at 3am.

Let's hope they can identify and find out if there is a connection.

Link to Source and Full article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10130399/Cleo-Smith-Police-seize-CCTV-showing-car-driving-away-campsite-middle-night.html

Link to Source : https://7news.com.au/news/missing-person/cleo-smith-search-continues-as-police-find-cctv-believed-to-show-sedan-driving-away-from-blowholes-c-4332569

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 11:42 AM, razman said:

Hate to say this , but is it possible she wandered and fell into one of the rock crevices ( blowholes) ?

Or “fell”, which I’m really worried is what happened.

Yea maybe she was fascinated by the blow holes during the day , so she wandered over there to see how they looked .You know how kids are , curious Georges.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:46 AM, joc said:

.  Seriously, your child is gone, and her sleeping bag and the tent door is unzipped wide open.  Wouldn't the first thing a rational parent would do is call the police?  I think they went to the blowholes so far away, not to continue a tradition, but to get far, far away...so they could abuse Cleo without any suspicions of people who knew them.  Then, when things went bad...they dumped her body in a blowhole.  Pure speculation, but based on an even more bizarre story from a couple of years ago in Dallas....I think that is a likely scenario.  

now i'm thinking, if you wanted to abduct her it would be easier to take her with the bag, and use it to muff her? wouldn't she wake up and make sounds? a divider in a tent is nothing but a thin nylon sheet, same as walls. Then  a kidnapper would have to carry her, she'd be awake and almost definitely make noise. None of it would happen if she was taken by someone she knew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

now i'm thinking, if you wanted to abduct her it would be easier to take her with the bag, and use it to muff her? wouldn't she wake up and make sounds? a divider in a tent is nothing but a thin nylon sheet, same as walls. Then  a kidnapper would have to carry her, she'd be awake and almost definitely make noise. None of it would happen if she was taken by someone she knew

There are only two people who could take her without half the camp ground knowing about it.  Her parents.  

In the first place...it's dark...very dark.  In the second place, no one can walk up to a strange tent in the total darkness and unzip the tent, then go inside and take a 4 year old in the total darkness.  It just didn't happen.  I don't believe it is  possible.  I've been camping too many times.  I cannot even find the zipper on my tent without a flash light.  So, the only scenario for abduction would be if her parents were drunk and passed out.  But if that were the case they wouldn't be of the mind to wake up at 1:30 and give their daughter water.  

Which is another thing...4 year olds are just always waking up in the middle of the night wanting a drink of water aren't they?  My experience is no.  But it is a convenient excuse right?  A familiar excuse if you ask me!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/10/10/a-special-needs-toddler-was-sent-outside-at-3-a-m-as-punishment-then-she-disappeared/

This is the bizarre story of a three year old girl who went missing in a posh neighborhood.  

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

Twist in timeline of Cleo's disappearance as police confirm new detail

On Friday morning local time (2pm AEST), Detective Superintendent Rob Wilde revealed Ellie, Cleo's mum, first called 000 at 6.23am - despite initial reports she searched the campground for hours before police arrived.

'Police arrived at 7.10am and by 7.26am set up a protected site,' he revealed. 

Inspector Jon Munday initially told the public police arrived 'about mid-morning' at the scene, but this was proven incorrect on Friday.

By 11am, homicide detectives had been sent to the area and police were already searching cars in and out of the campsite.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/twist-in-timeline-of-cleo-s-disappearance-as-police-confirm-new-detail/ar-AAQ4Rz7?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Twist in timeline of Cleo's disappearance as police confirm new detail

On Friday morning local time (2pm AEST), Detective Superintendent Rob Wilde revealed Ellie, Cleo's mum, first called 000 at 6.23am - despite initial reports she searched the campground for hours before police arrived.

'Police arrived at 7.10am and by 7.26am set up a protected site,' he revealed. 

Inspector Jon Munday initially told the public police arrived 'about mid-morning' at the scene, but this was proven incorrect on Friday.

By 11am, homicide detectives had been sent to the area and police were already searching cars in and out of the campsite.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/twist-in-timeline-of-cleo-s-disappearance-as-police-confirm-new-detail/ar-AAQ4Rz7?

It was a car what the puck does that mean? No color, model or production year ranges. okay it had four wheels and windshield wipers what is the point of saying anything without a description of the car? Other people may remember the car and give a description(some aliens and angels excluded) of the person or people driving the car of interest.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:42 PM, razman said:

Hate to say this , but is it possible she wandered and fell into one of the rock crevices ( blowholes) ?

Well, according to police, the zipper on the tent was up so high there was no way she could have opened it by herself.
Also, her sleeping bag is missing. So taking this in consideration it seems that she was taken by someone instead of wandering off I guess.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:53 PM, aztek said:

Agreed. That's what I have been thinking all along. If she's been taken, it must have been someone she knew. 

Cleo Smith’s potential abductor could have travelled out of the Blowholes camp site and into Carnarvon without being captured by a single security camera, it’s been revealed.

After three weeks of mapping out the area through CCTV, detectives have now established multiple escape routes that avoid detection between where the four-year-old disappeared and the small country town - 70km away.

The West Australian can also reveal campers and those who volunteered to help in the search for Cleo on the morning of her disappearance had their belongings, including clothes and phones, forensically tested.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cleo-smith/cleo-smith-search-police-reveal-cctv-black-spots-in-routes-from-blowholes-to-carnarvon-c-4393028

• Like 1

I was just reading some latest news about this tragedy and something that really surprised me is that police revealed that police dogs had not been deployed at the site, but they could be used at a future date. Are you kidding me ? Are you serious ? She has been missing for like 17 days now and no police dogs that are specialized in locating people or items have been used yet ? 

Link to Source & Full Article : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-02/police-say-cleo-smith-missing-girl-taken-by-opportunistic-abduct/100587102

• Like 1

Breaking!

Cleo has benn found alive in a locked house in Carnarvon. A man is in custody.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1