Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4-year-old girl vanishes from a tent in Western Australia

Eldorado

Good news indeed. Here's a news report:

Missing girl Cleo Smith, who disappeared while camping with her family on October 16, has been found 'alive and well' in Western Australia.

Police confirmed the four-year-old was "alive and well" and had been reunited with her family.

WA Police Deputy Commissioner Col Blanch said Cleo had been found early this morning inside a Carnarvon home, with a man taken into custody.

Deputy Commissioner Blanch said more updates would be available throughout the day.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/cleo-smith-missing-girl-found-western-australia/13344c4b-cbce-4ca9-957c-d467ed71b73f

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Apparently the 36 year old who had her had no connection to her family. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Wow, just WOW, so happy with this outcome. So Happy for little Cleo and her parents. Whoohoo :clap:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Breaking!

Cleo has benn found alive in a locked house in Carnarvon. A man is in custody.

So she's gone back to her neighbourhood with a stranger ???

Strange stuff that her parent didn't know the man... probably followed them or something ?  So convenient... i'm still not buying that..

Edited by Jon the frog

44 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Strange stuff that her parent didn't know the man... probably followed them or something ?  So convenient... i'm still not buying that..

Maybe it's worth knowing a bit more about the "neighbourhood".  It's reported that she was found seven minutes from the family home.  So what!  I imagine seven minutes is a long drive in Carnarvon. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Maybe it's worth knowing a bit more about the "neighbourhood".  It's reported that she was found seven minutes from the family home.  So what!  I imagine seven minutes is a long drive in Carnarvon. 

Maybe... Carnarvon have a population of less than 5000 and his 5km from side to side if i'm generous. I could give them the benefice of a doubt but no more than that for now.

Edited by Jon the frog

Homicide Detective Superintendent Rod Wilde confirmed the man who was arrested was "known to police".

"He is known but I have to be very careful around that," Det. Supt Wilde said when questioned by reporters this afternoon.

Police said he had only become a suspect in the case on Tuesday.

The man in custody sustained head injuries while in his holding cell and has been taken to hospital by police.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/cleo-smith-missing-girl-found-western-australia/13344c4b-cbce-4ca9-957c-d467ed71b73f

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The man in custody sustained head injuries while in his holding cell and has been taken to hospital by police.

Either he banged his own head or got a little jail house justice. Either way I'm good with it. :devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Either he banged his own head or got a little jail house justice. Either way I'm good with it. :devil:

After seeing the interviews of neighbours and hearing of the injuries I thought Muirhead Commission. 

Either way it really isn't a good thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Apparently the blowholes are a very popular camping ground with the locals. 

Police believe it was an opportunistic crime at this point. They know a great deal more than has been released but are keeping a great deal quiet until the court case is wrapped up. They don't want any interruption in the process if justice to make sure those bloke gets what he deserves. No legal loopholes. 

They had suspicions but didn't call the family until they recovered Chloe. They had to be certain and didn't want to offer false hopes to her parents. It's all unfolded quite quickly from what we do know. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

After seeing the interviews of neighbours and hearing of the injuries I thought Muirhead Commission. 

Either way it really isn't a good thing.

I see what your saying but as this involves a minor I'm not sure too many would go into bat for him even of that is the case. Supporting this bloke would be really bad for business. 

He was found a few blocks from the house. Could have been injured in an escape attempt. 

• Like 2

Cleo Smith: Australian man charged over four-year-old's abduction

Terence Darrell Kelly, 36, appeared in court in the town of Carnarvon charged with forcibly or fraudulently taking or enticing a child under 16.

Mr Kelly, who police say was taken to hospital with self-inflicted injuries before being charged, did not apply for bail and was not required to enter a plea at the Carnarvon Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

He has been remanded in custody until 6 December, according to local media reports.

Police allege he acted alone. They have previously said the kidnapping was unplanned and "opportunistic".

Mr Kelly's neighbours expressed shock that he might have been involved, telling the West Australian newspaper he was a "very quiet" man who "kept to himself" but was known to everyone on the street.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59162188

• Like 1

Terence Darrell Kelly, 36 - Facebook

Terence Darrell Kelly, the man charged with the kidnapping of a four-year-old Australian girl, had a doll room inside his house, according to reports.

The 36-year-old, who was arrested following a night raid on a home in the coastal town of Carnarvon, posted numerous photos of himself surrounded by the toys on social media.

“I love taking my dolls for drive arounds and doing their hair and taking selfies in public,” he posted to Facebook in April 2020, news outlet WA Today reported.

https://news.yahoo.com/cleo-smith-man-charged-kidnap-064140734.html

Edited by aztek
  • Confused 1

I wonder why the social media profile says he is in Sydney. A year ago sure. But he seems to travel a bit. Can't help but wonder what those travels would reveal.

Had a freak out at the media being at the trial didn't he.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I see what your saying but as this involves a minor I'm not sure too many would go into bat for him even of that is the case. Supporting this bloke would be really bad for business. 

He was found a few blocks from the house. Could have been injured in an escape attempt. 

It reminds somewhat of the Ben Batterham case in Newcastle.  That seemed to be a popular decision rather than the right one.  An indigenous man with self inflicted wounds while in custody raises the suspicions and cynicism that precipitated the Royal Commission.

As you kind of allude, this guy doesn't seem to be altogether there; but, I wonder if if there is malcontent and animosity percolating.

I'm curious to see what else comes out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

It reminds somewhat of the Ben Batterham case in Newcastle.  That seemed to be a popular decision rather than the right one.  An indigenous man with self inflicted wounds while in custody raises the suspicions and cynicism that precipitated the Royal Commission.

As you kind of allude, this guy doesn't seem to be altogether there; but, I wonder if if there is malcontent and animosity percolating.

I'm curious to see what else comes out.

It does, but WA police have been extremely cautious in this instance. I wouldn't be surprised if body cam footage exhonerate's the officers. 

• Like 2

I'm so glad I was wrong...

• Like 5

7 hours ago, joc said:

So say we all. 
I was sure she was down the blow hole.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:05 PM, joc said:

So true 

• Like 1