Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oklahoma woman sentenced to 4 years for suffering a miscarriage

Eldorado

News of a woman in Oklahoma being sentenced to four years in prison after suffering a miscarriage has been met with widespread outrage and concern.

Brittney Poolaw, 21, was 17 weeks pregnant when she experienced the miscarriage, and afterwards admitted to medical staff that she had consumed methamphetamine and marijuana. She was 19 at the time of the miscarriage.

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/outcry-after-woman-sentenced-to-four-years-for-miscarriage-of-17-week-old-foetus-294518

• Sad 2

Sounds like something that happens in Zimbabwe or some other backwards nation. 
God Bless America!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The title is a bit misleading.   She got in trouble for doing meth.   Doing meth while pregnant possibly causing the miscarriage.    

I do agree that there wasn't solid enough evidence to prove it was the reason for the miscarriage.   

I don't really feel any pity for her though.  I think of it as 4 years for doing something as stupid as meth while you are pregnant.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Myles got it right. She isn’t the victim.

Along with the damaging and all-too-often deadly effects of meth on pregnant women, this is a drug that also severely damages the health and well-being of the fetus as well.

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/meth-addiction/meth-babies-on-the-rise/

Drugs and alcohol can have tragic life-long effects on developing fetuses. 

• Like 7

I agree that it was possible, even likely that the meth use caused the miscarriage, but the trail of evidence seems pretty scarce to convict her of manslaughter and sentence her to prison?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I agree that it was possible, even likely that the meth use caused the miscarriage, but the trail of evidence seems pretty scarce to convict her of manslaughter and sentence her to prison?

Yeah, I wonder how long a sentence she could have gotten for the possession and use of meth?  Quick Google search show that average for trafficking meth is 8 years (I don't think she was "trafficking").  Around 1 year in jail for possessing a very small quantity of meth.  Not sure what sentence she could get for putting her unborn child at risk.   Child neglect and child abuse maybe?  

Either way, I don't feel sorry for her at all.   Maybe a short 4 years in prison will allow her to get her life together.   I bet she is out in 2.

https://www.probstlawoffice.com/legal-resources/legal-articles/penalties-for-meth-possession/

• Like 2

Sounds like something that happens in Zimbabwe or some other backwards nation.

Disagree but apparently quite common in places south of Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala etc and other satanic regimes.

Femicide - Wikipedia

Convinced there's an element of this in this - persecution for simply being female.