Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The mystery of why our ancestors left Africa

Eldorado

What exactly pushed—or pulled—H. erectus out of Africa is a matter of fierce debate.

Was it some innate adaptability, such as social learning, curiosity, a taste for meat, or technological acuity? Did the expansion of grasslands or rapid changes in climate send them on their journey? Or was it some combination of these factors?

At stake are deep questions of resilience and innovation. As the paleoanthropologist Miriam Belmaker, of the University of Tulsa, in Oklahoma, says, we need “to change the question from the ‘where, what, and when’ of the dispersal, to why was it successful.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/10/mystery-why-our-ancestors-left-africa/620426/

• Like 4

in Africa, you're not at the top of the food chain lol. if everything around me was trying to eat me, I'd want to move, too 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

why our ancestors left Africa

homo sapians learned how to cross water.

Hi Docyabut

Homo Erectus used watercraft a million years ago and were the first of the homo species to leave Africa

• Like 1

They left for the same reason Forrest Gump left everything. And ran a three years of a relentless cross-country marathon. Run Forrest, run! :D