Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self Esteem and Religion

Sherapy

5 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Hmm, you don't like pleasure?  I'm of the opinion we are all hedonists and that it is what fundamentally drives all the decisions we make normally.

I don't like self indulgent people. I have no love for those who will run over or ruin others for the pursuit of their own selfish desires. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't like self indulgent people. I have no love for those who will run over or ruin others for the pursuit of their own selfish desires. 

Those are technically two different sets of people in my view.  Being self-indulgent doesn't have to come at the expense of others.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Those are technically two different sets of people in my view.  Being self-indulgent doesn't have to come at the expense of others.  

One leads to another in my eye's. Like an addict chasing a greater and greater high. Till everyone around them is a stepping stone to be trampled under foot. Too Id driven. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Hmm, you don't like pleasure?  I'm of the opinion we are all hedonists and that it is what fundamentally drives all the decisions we make normally.

Fear keeps things moving, too :o

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Proverbs 16:26

26He that laboureth laboureth for himself; for his mouth craveth it of him.

Edited by The_Phantom_Stranger
Correction on verse number.

16 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Fear keeps things moving, too :o

True, because it's usually unpleasureable.  To which people usually respond hedonistically by doing what's necessary to increase their pleasure/remove the unpleasureable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Hmm, you don't like pleasure?

No. There is only discipline and weakness caused my depression. Without that weakness I wouldn't have to deal with such feelings. I see pleasure the same way and its pursuit the same. A sign of weakness. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No. There is only discipline and weakness caused my depression. Without that weakness I wouldn't have to deal with such feelings. I see pleasure the same way and its pursuit the same. A sign of weakness. 

Why is enjoying pleasure a sign of weakness? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Why is enjoying pleasure a sign of weakness? 

Because it is a vice and an addiction, something that controls a person. They become a slave to it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Because it is a vice and an addiction, something that controls a person. They become a slave to it. 

They can become a slave to it, which is pretty rare.  It's a partly sunny and mild day which will become rarer soon here in Michigan so I'm going to go for a quick walk to get some air and vitamin D. I'm definitely doing it for pleasure but it's not a vice, addiction, or controlling.

Logically just because the pursuit of pleasure caused you to be depressed and thus you consider it a weakness that doesn't mean you should look at others who pursue pleasure as weak; not everyone has the same experience as you and thus may not be depressed and thus aren't weakened.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

They can become a slave to it, which is pretty rare.  It's a partly sunny and mild day which will become rarer soon here in Michigan so I'm going to go for a quick walk to get some air and vitamin D. I'm definitely doing it for pleasure but it's not a vice, addiction, or controlling.

Logically just because the pursuit of pleasure caused you to be depressed and thus you consider it a weakness that doesn't mean you should look at others who pursue pleasure as weak; not everyone has the same experience as you and thus may not be depressed and thus aren't weakened.

I personally don't care if some hedonist end their life in a drug fueled orgy. One less person on earth.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I personally don't care if some hedonist end their life in a drug fueled orgy. One less person on earth.

Where did the idea of dying in a drug-fuelled orgy come from?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Where did the idea of dying in a drug-fueled orgy come from?

Probably from me, only I ran out of fuel....:(

• Haha 5

Drug-fueled orgy.

See the source image

LET'S GO BRANDON!:clap:

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Where did the idea of dying in a drug-fuelled orgy come from?

Plus he says it like it's a bad thing.  That sounds to me like about one of the the best ways to go, all things being equal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I agree, a person has to have space in their lives to do what they please and what makes them happy. It is called self care. I would say we need more of this not less of it. 

I just took a self care day, hung out with a dear friend and we had a blast. It just exactly what I needed. :wub:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Can you clarify this?

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sheri

We both know that I have a past and in that life there was corruption, manipulation and intimidation I am the only one that had to know who I was and spent a lot of time looking at how I could live that in that life without letting it become my life. I really don't want to go into it in any depth but I am the only one that needs to know who I am and have spent years working on me and will continue to do so.

Thanks Jay, now I get it. :wub:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Why? 

I don’t understand what you are saying. Do you hate your depression? 

Edited by Sherapy

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I don’t understand what you are saying. 

Self control. To rule oneself with an iron fist. One moment in my life I fail at that and end up miserable. 

• Sad 1

Self control. To rule oneself with an iron fist. One moment in my life I fail at that and end up miserable. 

Is this how you manage your depression?

So you don't allow yourself to experience pleasure?

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I admire your self discipline.    .  . but I hope you can forgive yourself ..nobody's perfect.