Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self Esteem and Religion

Sherapy

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Still not amused and someone brought politics into the thread, well, this was fun

Good luck. 

The thread started going downhill on Page 5, IMO. You know how this goes.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Still not amused and someone brought politics into the thread, well, this was fun

Good luck. 

Hahahaha Politics is my no no too. 

No politics please. 

Xeno stick around. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It is certainly possible to be an Atheist and be a Narcissist, what isn’t working is to over generalize into all Atheists have NPD.

What are the things about your friend that demonstrate NPD and how do you think his Atheism contributes or cause it?

Oh, that's simple... He's a professional and believes that he's always right. When he's flat-out wrong he changes the subject.

Just now, pallidin said:

Oh, that's simple... He's a professional and believes that he's always right. When he's flat-out wrong he changes the subject.

What is he always wrong about? 

28 minutes ago, pallidin said:

It was just an observation of his own standing. Jeez.

Don't be so rough on me.

But yes, atheists typically are narcissistic, IMHO.

You see, an atheist ONLY believes in themselves. Fits narcissism quite well.

Do you know many atheist?

Genuine question. If you're somewhere where being an atheist is uncommon he might come off as more defensive than otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What is he always wrong about? 

Sherapy when he's backed into a corner, exposing the lie, he changes the subject instead of admitting to a clear lie.

I've seen this in many people... I used to be an Area Manager in charge of hundreds of employees, so this general behavior was somewhat common.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eight bits said:

I wonder if what "disappears" are "persona(e)," "masks," an aspect of the self that is presented socially, often more-or-less necessary to fulfill a role (professional demeanor, judicial temperament, bedside manner ... are all occupation-related personae).

Language is not easy here, as you mention.

I think an iconic representation of these ideas is the character of Odo from Deep Space 9. He "couldn't hold his 'shape'" for more than several hours, that shape being his "social self (and occupation-related shapes)." Early in the series, he would simply liquify into a plain bucket in order to restore himself - he didn't go away, his shape did. As the series progressed, he became more ambitious in the shapes he explored privately (as opposed to those besides his "usual" shape which he assumed temporarily to further his job). That's a powerful image of an expanded self (something has disappeared, masks, but what's left is still self, now still conscious and less restricted than in ordinary situations).

Of course, eventually he rediscovers his native habitat, The Great Link, which offers its own version of a self expanded by being in another sense lost.

It's all still ineffable, but I really do think that the story arc of Odo is a vehicle to reason through some of the paradoxes of expanded and constrained selfhood. I wouldn't be surprised if some of DS9's writers were Jungians.

Yep, the best SF writers, including those who write for films/TV, , draw analogies with human issues by exploring the themes outside  of a human reference 

Spock and Kirk were originally written (in part) to explore the debate about whether humans should use logic or feelings to resolve issues.

The answer provided was, of course,  both, in balance.  

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Do you know many atheist?

Genuine question. If you're somewhere where being an atheist is uncommon he might come off as more defensive than otherwise. 

Spart, I don't  have an answer to that, but I suspect that confirmed atheists were somehow "damaged" emotionally very early on in their development.

I have no facts, just opinion.

Edited by pallidin
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Sherapy when he's backed into a corner, exposing the lie, he changes the subject instead of admitting to a clear lie.

I've seen this in many people... I used to be an Area Manager in charge of hundreds of employees, so this general behavior was somewhat common.

I am not challenging your conclusion or ability to make judgements. I am genuinely interested in what things he lies about. It is only a conversation. Maybe, I can shed some light, maybe not. I was once an Atheist.

The last few pages reads like a common denominator sitcom with all the standard archetypes... 

We find our flock or congregation where it be... 

[00.09:38]

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The last few pages reads like a common denominator sitcom with all the standard archetypes... 

We find our flock or congregation where it be... 

[00.09:38]

~

Leave it to 3rd to bring the humor:D Which cheers member am I? :P

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Spart, I don't have an answer to that, but I suspect that confirmed atheists were somehow "damaged" emotionally very early on in their development as if God was against them, thus there can be no God in their emotions.

Edited by pallidin

22 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

That makes sense for a large number of situations I'd think, it's odd in a way that there seems to sometimes be such suffering for people that derives, a lot of times I think unknowingly, from the maintenance of these masks.  As well as the lack of recognition that you're wearing a mask at all, and the confusion of thinking the mask is actually you.  Agreed for most people there is a certain amount of masking necessary just to have an occupation and obviously the need for income can be a legitimate source of stress, but since the masks are constructed by us they tend to be idealized, sometimes beyond anyone's ability to live up to.

My in-depth Trek knowledge stops abruptly at TNG currently, although DS9 is on the list to watch.  I think I am somewhat familiar with Odo though, it sounds similar to the character Mystique from the Xmen movies who can assume the shape and voice of any human I believe, although there wasn't any casual exploration by her of her shapes and she had a definite base shape/appearance unlike possibly Odo it sounds like.

Excellent points in your first paragraph 

However not everyone assumes a mask or persona Some (possibly as a result of their parenting)   just  have one persona and are comfortable with it in all situations 

(I am not talking here about adapting speech etc. to your audience, as you might for work, or with a child.  I mean that some people don't actually have different forms of identify which they pull out when the y feel one is needed  )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Leave it to 3rd to bring the humor:D Which cheers member am I? :P

Spin off or spun? 

:D

~

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Faith and Love, alone, and a couple of dollars will buy you a cup of coffee. They're nice feelings, but are materially and practically useless by themselves. They only function well in a loving partnership and in practical faith-based fellowship, with a strong impetus for communal material responsibility.

Not where I live :) 

However i take your last point 

But then that is what love is about 

If you, and those around, you  have love, you will have that sort of relationship and community 

Plus love, like any emotion, builds reciprocity  Give it and you get it back/   

Thus love brings many material rewards,  from sexual to financial  

I haven't had to buy a cup of coffee for many years 

I get free ones from  my local deli and bakery. 

Ps. In my case it doesn't really have anything to do with religious belief or faith.

People here are just kind, generous, and community minded, and we look after each other in many ways, whatever our beliefs or lack of them   Indeed I have no idea what belief most  of the people I know   here have, and they don't have any idea about mine. 

19 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Spart, I don't  have an answer to that, but I suspect that confirmed atheists were somehow "damaged" emotionally very early on in their development.

It's good you keep this as an opinion. Gross generalizations like 'all (insert group) are X.' Never workout. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

All acts are done out of self interest.

Not true. 

Humans are capable of absolute altruism ie doing something for another which brings no reward to them, and may indeed, cost them or hurt them.

Not all humans act like this, but many do, and all are capable of it .

Like many ethical and moral beliefs, I believe it goes back to the values a child was raised on. 

We are taught to be selfish, selfless, or something in between. 

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Because it is a vice and an addiction, something that controls a person. They become a slave to it. 

Everything in moderation We need some ego, some pleasure,   some self  love,  some self  respect  etc

But too much of any is as harmful as too little. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

You pick :P

Off spin the spun pun...

In other words... A little bit of the whole lot here and there... 

:yes:

~

• Haha 3

Just now, third_eye said:

Off spin the spun pun...

In other words... A little bit of the whole lot here and there... 

~

I can see that. I was thinking of you and a few could apply depending. 

My favorite character was Woody:D

• Like 3

I guess this all reminds me as to how beautifully diverse our species is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

I guess this all reminds me as to how beautifully diverse our species is. 

Indeed, and what a beautiful thing.:wub:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

My favorite character was Woody:D

Lilith... 

Or, whenever she shows up... Carla is the best... They make me make mental sweat... 

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1