Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self Esteem and Religion

Sherapy

My initial reaction to that statement (before I have read the article) is that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.   But the reference may need explanation and I will read the article.   Just sayin' - religious people I know tend to have severe self esteem issues because of the denial of the reality that humans are fallable and because of ridiculous expectations and judgments. (like being gay is evil/a sin/ or just unnatural, or women are not supposed to speak up even when they know better than the men what is going on)   Now I am sure that comes from being raised in a judaic religion and suspect that non judaic religions are not so controlling but have no experience with that.

• Like 4

"We think you only pat yourself on the back for being religious if you live in a social system that values religiosity," 

Ok.  I have read it and that phrase "pat yourself on the back" had nothing to do with high self esteem, that in my opinion, is an indication of low self esteem.  Someone with high self esteem does not think about being special, they just feel good about themselves.

I realize that the U.S. was not included in the study but I would class the U.S. as a non-religious country, even though most christians will disagree with me, and so it makes sense that non-religious people usually have better self esteem than religious people in the U.S.    It is an interesting study.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I realize that the U.S. was not included in the study but I would class the U.S. as a non-religious country, even though most christians will disagree with me, and so it makes sense that non-religious people usually have better self esteem than religious people in the U.S.    It is an interesting study.

In my on personal experience, I've encountered a lot-not all-but a lot of atheists inordinately high on themselves because.....they're atheists!:lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

In my on personal experience, I've encountered a lot-not all-but a lot of atheists inordinately high on themselves because.....they're atheists!:lol:

I have a higher self esteem now that I have figured out that no one knows who or where god is nor what god wants or even if there is a god.   The bible even has a lot of indication that there are multiple gods, and none of them have ever talked to me about anything.   I don't need some "higher power" to scare me into being a good person and I also don't have to worry about burning in hell.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My initial reaction to that statement (before I have read the article) is that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.   But the reference may need explanation and I will read the article.   Just sayin' - religious people I know tend to have severe self esteem issues because of the denial of the reality that humans are fallable and because of ridiculous expectations and judgments. (like being gay is evil/a sin/ or just unnatural, or women are not supposed to speak up even when they know better than the men what is going on)   Now I am sure that comes from being raised in a judaic religion and suspect that non judaic religions are not so controlling but have no experience with that.

I agree, when I read the article I was stunned they even did a study on self esteem and religion. I would not have connected high self esteem as a benefit of religion. Great points.

I probably should define how as a caregiver I assess for behaviors that show low self esteem, which in my line of work can bring high levels of unhealthy stress, none the less, there seems to be very little social interactions or deep connections, one exhibits fewer coping strategies when faced with challenges, one tends to need help getting on a more positive track and small things often become huge issues.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

An interesting article, interested in posters thoughts. All voices are welcome.

“The researchers offered a possible explanation for their finding: Religious people feel better about themselves in religious countries not because they're religious, but simply because they fit in with the crowd.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/religion-happiness_n_1219295

I think it's just another BS way of bashing the religious, denigrating what they find meaningful in life. People are the same the world over, in my opinion, religious and non religious. Each find their own way of feeling they belong. Well, except perhaps those alienated from their their own kith and kin, of a contrary nature.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Hahahahaha I definitely have a robust self esteem ( as defined above/ not some nonsense) thanks to my days as an Atheist. :D

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Hahahahaha I definitely have a robust self esteem ( as defined above/ not some nonsense) thanks to my days as an Atheist. :D

You needed neither, you were born with robust self esteem, it just needed time to flower.:yes:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I think it's just another BS way of bashing the religious, denigrating what they find meaningful in life. People are the same the world over, in my opinion, religious and non religious. Each find their own way of feeling they belong. Well, except perhaps those alienated from their their own kith and kin, of contrary nature.

Nota bene: not the intent of this thread. :wub:

• Like 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

You needed neither, you were born with robust self esteem, it just needed time to flower.:yes:

Aww, thank you:wub:

• Like 1

Nota bene: not the intent of this thread. :wub:

Was referring to the article, not the thread.:nw:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

"We think you only pat yourself on the back for being religious if you live in a social system that values religiosity," 

Ok.  I have read it and that phrase "pat yourself on the back" had nothing to do with high self esteem, that in my opinion, is an indication of low self esteem.  Someone with high self esteem does not think about being special, they just feel good about themselves.

I also would conclude that one who is always patting themselves on the back is seeking validation a healthy self esteem can push thru and appreciate feedback good or bad and doesn’t place a higher value on only the positive. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Was referring to the article, not the thread.:nw:

It is a good point and I am glad you pointed it out, in case other posters would feel this way and not share their opinion. 

:wub:

Being in a religious country would be more of a social safety net so self esteem and self confidence in regards to one's religion is kind of a give-in. There's no real competition for beliefs. Though I suspect any collective of believers would have the same or similar effect. As hammer pointed out, even atheist can be high on themselves. 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

“The researchers offered a possible explanation for their finding: Religious people feel better about themselves in religious countries not because they're religious, but simply because they fit in with the crowd.”

there was a think off of which is more dangerous religion or science?  religion always wins, science is more dangerous.

The Great American Think-Off is a philosophy contest held annually in New York Mills, Minnesota. ... Debaters in the first round advocated that science was more dangerous than religion, 

Which Is More Dangerous: Science or Religion? | C-SPAN.org

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

It is a good point and I am glad you pointed it out, in case other posters would feel this way and not share their opinion. 

:wub:

It's that I sometimes tire of self-appointed non religious "experts" on the religious, who don't really seem to have a real clue. Indeed, like belonging to a guild, a club, engage in sports fandom, work for a major organization, political party, be in the military or uniformed civil service, many things can lend one a sense of belonging, of comradery, including Christian fellowship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Christian ideals should not be  abanned in the US or in any other  country  where the radicals  Islam  states are trying to take  over  :( and Iran will  try to take over in  a suicide bomber behind   a nuclear  bomb ":(

Edited by docyabut2

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Being in a religious country would be more of a social safety net so self esteem and self confidence in regards to one's religion is kind of a give-in. There's no real competition for beliefs. Though I suspect any collective of believers would have the same or similar effect. As hammer pointed out, even atheist can be high on themselves. 

I'm curious as to how they went about gathering data. Did they just flat out ask people if they had high or low self-esteem?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

there was a think off of which is more dangerous religion or science?  religion always wins, science is more dangerous.

The Great American Think-Off is a philosophy contest held annually in New York Mills, Minnesota. ... Debaters in the first round advocated that science was more dangerous than religion, 

Which Is More Dangerous: Science or Religion? | C-SPAN.org

Interesting Docy, I will read this. Thank you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

science is more dangerous :(

Science literally means knowledge. So, is knowing something more dangerous than believing something?

If you believe you can fly, or that god will catch you, and you step off a cliff, is belief not more dangerous than knowledge?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'm curious as to how they went about gathering data. Did they just flat out ask people if they had high or low self-esteem?

I figure it's more an opinion piece that anything. 

• Like 2

Self esteem (positive) can be directly related to self importance (negative). I'm an apatheist who sees himself as just a cog in the wheel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

If you know that your peers share the same basic truths as yourself, you speak and act more confident, because you do not fear ridicule or shame.

Confidence is basically just feeling safe.

• Like 5