Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self Esteem and Religion

Sherapy

24 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So I feel bad for letting myself be depressed. 

You might benefit from reading "Free Will" by Sam Harris. He discusses why we have less control over ourselves than what we think we do.

In your case... there is a very real neurophysiological reason for why you feel/felt the way you do/did, but (collectively) we don't necessarily have the inherent ability to decide how/when these feelings arise: at best we can create a framework (potentially with the aid of medication) to help reduce these feelings, but you have no more control over when/how these feelings arise than you know what your next thought is going to be.

You let yourself be depressed no more than you allowed yourself to have an inherent preference for one item compared to another (i.e. coffee instead of tea, coke instead of sprite, craving pizza instead of a TV dinner, etc).

Try to be kinder to yourself, and keep working on those positive frameworks.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Oh, boy. Best public bathrooms in Australia. What an achievement. :wacko:

....we have Buckey's....ahem....nuff said...Welcome in!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, joc said:

....we have Buckey's....ahem....nuff said...Welcome in!

Bukey's are the best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Neurophysiology disagrees with this statement.

Ding ding ding, you are correct!

Peace!:tu:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, joc said:

Not to nit pic...;)  But....the subconscious does not control our actions.  It plays a part ... a really big part...but it is our conscious mind that determines what actions we take and it is our conscious mind that is completely responsible for our actions.  

Our conscious mind knows what is truth and what is a lie.  Our subconscious has no knowledge of truth or lie.  It's focus is to support the conscious thought process, regardless of whether it is good or bad or truthful or deceitful.  The subconscious is a 'filing support system' for the conscious mind.  When we think a thought...the subconscious goes to work immediately finding and submitting memory files that will support the conscious thought.  Which is why it is very important to filter what goes into our subconscious memory and it is the key to understanding positive/negative thought process.   

Hey I hope all is well, but you idea of how the subconscious minds works isn't based upon neuroscience. Here is a quote from a good source that explains the process far better than I am able to. 

How does the subconscious work?

""Our subconscious functions as a kind of emitter of messages or stimuli that we process at a conscious level and that activate certain patterns of behavior without our being aware of it. That is to say, the decisions we make every day, even if it seems that we make them consciously, are really highly influenced by our own subconscious.""

https://neurotray.com/is-the-subconscious-mind-scientifically-proven/

Peace 

5 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Neurophysiology disagrees with this statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Religion with self respect ? I do believe in Jesus Christ `s healings . Had a stroke, lost my mind for  two weeks . had  a hiatal hernia   that went over my heart, can`t have a surgery Fractured  my back seven times in screaming pain, had four surgeries, only one the nerve was killed. hey killed the nerves :) I m` ok now  I believe in Jesus `s healings:)  its like what the little boy said to Jesus when Jesus healed him, Jesus said  I did n`t heal  you  but your belief in me:) 

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey I hope all is well, but you idea of how the subconscious minds works isn't based upon neuroscience. Here is a quote from a good source that explains the process far better than I am able to. 

How does the subconscious work?

""Our subconscious functions as a kind of emitter of messages or stimuli that we process at a conscious level and that activate certain patterns of behavior without our being aware of it. That is to say, the decisions we make every day, even if it seems that we make them consciously, are really highly influenced by our own subconscious.""

https://neurotray.com/is-the-subconscious-mind-scientifically-proven/

Peace 

I think I have an example of this.   My mother was a very smart woman but she was also damaged emotionally.   I never knew what caused some of the triggers she had, but one had to do with her dyslexia and growing up with a bunch of  intellectual adults who read a lot and never understood why she didn't.  Anyway, one day when we were having lunch, my parents, their friend and me, the friend said, "I never did find any compatriots until I got to high school. There I found people who I understood and who understood me."   My mother went off on a rant about how all kids need access to the same education, not just gifted kids, but all kids.    It was so off topic that we all just sat and stared at her.    It was an unconscious trigger related to education and high school for her.   I know i have done something similar when triggered as well, we all do to some extent or other.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Bukey's are the best.

Now if I could just learn to check my spelling before I click submit.   :P

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think I have an example of this.   My mother was a very smart woman but she was also damaged emotionally.   I never knew what caused some of the triggers she had, but one had to do with her dyslexia and growing up with a bunch of  intellectual adults who read a lot and never understood why she didn't.  Anyway, one day when we were having lunch, my parents, their friend and me, the friend said, "I never did find any compatriots until I got to high school. There I found people who I understood and who understood me."   My mother went off on a rant about how all kids need access to the same education, not just gifted kids, but all kids.    It was so off topic that we all just sat and stared at her.    It was an unconscious trigger related to education and high school for her.   I know i have done something similar when triggered as well, we all do to some extent or other.   

It is in our religious beliefs :) and in our subconscious

Edited by docyabut2

4 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

It is in our religious beliefs :) and in our subconscious

I suppose.   I don't think it has anything to do with our religious beliefs, unless those beliefs were beaten in to us.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That makes sense, and it explains where your mothers thoughts came from. . While we all at times do things of say things at times we did want to, this is because our subconscious mind actually has more control over our actions than most will admit. In fact the person we truly are is based upon our actions and our actions shape who we truly are, not what we want others to think we are. The real person in each of us is projected from the Subconscious part of mind, and this is why those who project something they are not sooner of later will be tripped up by the subconscious part of mind. Like I said in previous post our actions define who we really are, not our words, and our actions are controlled by the Subconscious mind.

Sorry to hear about your mother, my mother had some problems also. I know how hard that can be children growing up and having to deal with it. 

take Care my friend hope you are yours are well.:tu:

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Religion with self respect ? I do believe in Jesus Christ `s healings . Had a stroke, lost my mind for  two weeks . had  a hiatal hernia   that went over my heart, can`t have a surgery Fractured  my back seven times in screaming pain, had four surgeries, only one the nerve was killed. hey killed the nerves :) I m` ok now  I believe in Jesus `s healings:)  its like what the little boy said to Jesus when Jesus healed him, Jesus said  I did n`t heal  you  but your belief in me:) 

Wow Docy you have had a very rough and terrible time. My issues pale in comparison I am glad your spirituality gives you the strength to endure all of that, and I believe our spirituality beliefs are located in our subconscious minds, so maybe that's where Jesus lives in everyone!:)

Peace Docy, I am glad you have found what you need to be happy!:tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

You might benefit from reading "Free Will" by Sam Harris. He discusses why we have less control over ourselves than what we think we do.

In your case... there is a very real neurophysiological reason for why you feel/felt the way you do/did, but (collectively) we don't necessarily have the inherent ability to decide how/when these feelings arise: at best we can create a framework (potentially with the aid of medication) to help reduce these feelings, but you have no more control over when/how these feelings arise than you know what your next thought is going to be.

You let yourself be depressed no more than you allowed yourself to have an inherent preference for one item compared to another (i.e. coffee instead of tea, coke instead of sprite, craving pizza instead of a TV dinner, etc).

Try to be kinder to yourself, and keep working on those positive frameworks.

Wow that is really very well said, but let me add to your comments. We each create our own hell, in most cases this is caused by not breaking our connection to terrible events that happened in our past whether we created them or whether they were beyond our control. Until each of us can break the connection to those events we will continue to relive them, which doesn't allow us to move into the present unhindered. You simply can't live life in the past, because as long as we do, its impossible to change and find what happiness exists in life. People who become depressed or in my case suffer from PTSD must break that link and stop the repeated reliving of those situations it's not easy to do, but it's essential to forgive ourselves and break that link.

Take Care my friend. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Wow Docy you have had a very rough and terrible time. My issues pale in comparison I am glad your spirituality gives you the strength to endure all of that, and I believe our spirituality beliefs are located in our subconscious minds, so maybe that's where Jesus lives in everyone!:)

Peace Docy, I am glad you have found what you need to be happy!:tu:

sorry lender I just  do have my question about a creator that made this horrible place with out love, and Jesus is one of the ones  teaching love and forgiveness, 

Edited by docyabut2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, docyabut2 said:

sorry lender I just  do have my question about a creator that made this horrible place with love, and Jesus is one of the ones  teaching love and forgiveness, 

I am glad you have found your Spiritual beliefs, everyone needs something to give us strength and you seem to have found your strength. I also have my own personal spiritual beliefs and they certainly also give me comfort when things get bad. 

I am sincerely happy for you, and I wish you the best. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Well all we don`nt know whats going to hit us in death  :(

Docy according to your beliefs, you know what to expect. It may be different for many of us, but to me death is just part of the human experience that we can't control when it's our turn, so I just don't worry about it. 

• Like 2

My mom died jan 6 and her son was born  jan 26 my dad died  may 30 by birthday the 27  i`m wondering if i `m going to die around my dad `s oct  26 birthday :(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

My mom died jan 6 and her son was born  jan 26 my dad died  may 30 by birthday the 27  i`m wondering if i `m going to die around my dad `s oct  26 birthday :(

Docy, I wouldn't worry about it, when it's our time it happens and according to your belief in Jesus all your loved ones will waiting for you. 

Peace Docy. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Docy, I wouldn't worry about it, when it's our time it happens and according to your belief in Jesus all your loved ones will waiting for you. 

Peace Docy. :)

just wonder if heaven does exist:( 

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Docy, don't fret about it, we all have some "date" out there, it'll come around for all of us.....so live life as best you can and take care of yourself. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

just wonder if heaven does exist:( 

You know I am Buddhist Docy, according to my spirituality there is no Heaven or Hell. Our existence is part of wheel known as the Dharma Wheel. We are born we live our lives and we die then we are born again in a repeating cycle. The purpose of this rebirth ( Reincarnation ) is so that we can grow and improve ourselves until someday we are worthy of the next journey ( Enlightenment or Nirvana ). Once we reach Nirvana our rebirth ends and we are beings of pure energy. 

Now, I am not an experienced Buddhist and there are many parts of the Buddhist Philosophy I still do not understand. Just like you and your question above, does Heaven Exist. Well the only thing that matters is that you believe that it and Jesus both exist. Your spirituality gives you strength when you need it, and there is nothing more valuable than that or more important than. Don't ever give up your beliefs no matter what anyone else says, your spirituality is yours and no one or nothing can take that away from you.

People as you know ridicule people for being spiritual and that must just be over looked, because people always redicule what they can't understand. You cant let anyone effect your beliefs, because those who try have nothing to turn too when they are in need and find comfort in trying to make others unhappy like them.  The answer to your question about there being a heaven or in my case reincarnation we will just have to wait and see. But until it's our time to go our faith in our spirituality will continue to give us strength and if there is nothing at the end we will never know it, so there is no reason to lose faith in your beliefs. 

Docy, it sounds like your having a sad time. Maybe go to Church, or contact family from all the posts you make on this forum I believe your a good person with a good heart. All I can say is your Spirituality has given you the strength to come this far, it has comforted you when nothing else did there is no reason to doubt it now!:tu:

Peace Docy and take Care you know the answer, you have obviously always known. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Phantom309 said:

Docy, don't fret about it, we all have some "date" out there, it'll come around for all of us.....so live life as best you can and take care of yourself. 

Well said!:tu:

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

You know I am Buddhist Docy, according to my spirituality there is no Heaven or Hell. Our existence is part of wheel known as the Dharma Wheel. We are born we live our lives and we die then we are born again in a repeating cycle. The purpose of this rebirth ( Reincarnation ) is so that we can grow and improve ourselves until someday we are worthy of the next journey ( Enlightenment or Nirvana ). Once we reach Nirvana our rebirth ends and we are beings of pure energy. 

Now, I am not an experienced Buddhist and there are many parts of the Buddhist Philosophy I still do not understand. Just like you and your question above, does Heaven Exist. Well the only thing that matters is that you believe that it and Jesus both exist. Your spirituality gives you strength when you need it, and there is nothing more valuable than that or more important than. Don't ever give up your beliefs no matter what anyone else says, your spirituality is yours and no one or nothing can take that away from you.

People as you know ridicule people for being spiritual and that must just be over looked, because people always redicule what they can't understand. You cant let anyone effect your beliefs, because those who try have nothing to turn too when they are in need and find comfort in trying to make others unhappy like them.  The answer to your question about there being a heaven or in my case reincarnation we will just have to wait and see. But until it's our time to go our faith in our spirituality will continue to give us strength and if there is nothing at the end we will never know it, so there is no reason to lose faith in your beliefs. 

Docy, it sounds like your having a sad time. Maybe go to Church, or contact family from all the posts you make on this forum I believe your a good person with a good heart. All I can say is your Spirituality has given you the strength to come this far, it has comforted you when nothing else did there is no reason to doubt it now!:tu:

Peace Docy and take Care you know the answer, you have obviously always known. 

sorry lendar I  just  dont believe in Reincarnation, the birth of billions to suffered life  to survive .:(  

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

sorry lendar I  just  dont believe in Reincarnation, the birth of billions to suffered life  to survive .:(  

That's find Docy, just don't loss faith in your beliefs ever that's all that's important!:tu: Docy, the only reason I brought up my spirituality beliefs was to tell you that I also question my spirituality beliefs. I just hope you don't give up on yours my friend, don't ever give up on your beliefs.

@docyabut2

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1