Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self Esteem and Religion

Sherapy

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I never took meds for depression. The only meds I have taken is anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers for my back. 

Oh, I thought you said you were on antidepressants, no worries I misunderstood. 

I can't understand the desire to live one's life chasing every whim. I don't understand why people choose to do this. To spend all their time drunk or high, gluttonous. Whatever "feels good". While at the same time ruining their health and the lives of those around them. Like the alcholic father or drug addicted mother. All for that feel good sensation. Then it escalates, pushing the hedonic curve higher and higher, till they're strung out in a ditch or dead from an OD. Sure maybe they feel good off that alcholic high, but their kid is hiding because daddy/mommy is on a bender. Plus such things never lead to lasting happiness. No amount of drug, sex, booze, whatever. None of it does. And no matter how much you wish to justify it. Maybe others have less of a conscious than I have. Because I can't imagine ruining the lives of others all because I want to "be happy". So I can't help but think that deep down, the hedonist are really miserable people that self medicate with their indulgences. Of course I know that someone will say I'm wrong, that's fine. 

In my eyes the hedonist embodies the purely selfish egotist. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I can't understand the desire to live one's life chasing every whim. I don't understand why people choose to do this. To spend all their time drunk or high, gluttonous. Whatever "feels good". While at the same time ruining their health and the lives of those around them. Like the alcholic father or drug addicted mother. All for that feel good sensation. Then it escalates, pushing the hedonic curve higher and higher, till they're strung out in a ditch or dead from an OD. Sure maybe they feel good off that alcholic high, but their kid is hiding because daddy/mommy is on a bender. Plus such things never lead to lasting happiness. No amount of drug, sex, booze, whatever. None of it does. And no matter how much you wish to justify it. Maybe others have less of a conscious than I have. Because I can't imagine ruining the lives of others all because I want to "be happy". So I can't help but think that deep down, the hedonist are really miserable people that self medicate with their indulgences. Of course I know that someone will say I'm wrong, that's fine. 

I think there is a difference between an addiction or addict and one who has a glass of wine. 

I grew up with this type of childhood and have spent a lot of time and money in therapy dealing with the trauma over my life. It is a coping style albeit a horrible one when it is at the level I dealt with and you describe. You are asking the same things I did once. I think the addict has a lot of shame and guilt too.

I had a lot of trauma around alcohol just in general, but as I worked thru the trauma’s I have a healthier perspective on alcohol. I don’t drink much still, but I am not terrified of it anymore. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

One can enjoy pleasures without going to such extremes as you describe, here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What, exactly, is this thread about... Or devolved into?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

We were just biding our time until you came back.  Still wondering about your thinking behind no religion = narcissist you suggested, that's a lot closer to the topic too.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Xenos overdue therapy session :lol: haha

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

We were just biding our time until you came back.  Still wondering about your thinking behind no religion = narcissist you suggested, that's a lot closer to the topic too.

Well ok. I have a close friend who is an outspoken atheist and narcissist. Maybe that combination is not for everyone, but that's where I got it from.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Well ok. I have a close friend who is an outspoken atheist and narcissist. Maybe that combination is not for everyone, but that's where I got it from.

So because of your friend being a narcissistic atheist you decided to paint all of the non-religious with a brush of "unbridled narcissists"? That's some interesting inductive reasoning.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pallidin said:

well, basing it on one person is not a good way to make a generalization.  Maybe you need to get out more, meet more people that have different beliefs than you do.  If you only know one atheist you live a very sheltered life.   

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, pallidin said:

On my thread, it is okay to let the conversation go where it wants organically. :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Does your friend annoy you or challenge you, or? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

well, basing it on one person is not a good way to make a generalization.  Maybe you need to get out more, meet more people that have different beliefs than you do.  If you only know one atheist you live a very sheltered life.   

Desert, you listened to my music posts. I am FAR from sheltered 

28 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think ones self esteem might be part and parcel of an addict too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

So because of your friend being a narcissistic atheist you decided to paint all of the non-religious with a brush of "unbridled narcissists"? That's some interesting inductive reasoning.

It was just an observation of his own standing. Jeez.

Don't be so rough on me.

But yes, atheists typically are narcissistic, IMHO.

You see, an atheist ONLY believes in themselves. Fits narcissism quite well.

Just now, pallidin said:

But you said you're basing it on your friend, who was a narcissistic atheist. What atheists have you met that are narcissistic, beyond your friend?

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

That's solipsism, not atheism.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

Don't be so rough on me.

No, atheists don't believe only in themselves.  They are more likely to believe in others more than religious people who think they can only trust in some deity.   I think you are making incorrect assumptions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

But you said you're basing it on your friend, who was a narcissistic atheist. What atheists have you met that are narcissistic, beyond your friend?

That's solipsism, not atheism.

Ok. But I must ask you this: have you EVER related with a self-proclaimed atheist who is not overtly narcissistic?

Not me.

Edited by pallidin
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Don't be so rough on me.

In the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), [1] NPD is defined as comprising a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), a constant need for admiration, and a lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by the presence of at least 5 of the following 9 criteria. 

https://www.medscape.com/answers/1519417-101764/what-are-the-dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria-for-narcissistic-personality-disorder-npd

There is nothing odd about believing in oneself it is ones self worth and is indicative of self reliance integral to independence/interdependence. It sounds like you are uncomfortable with your friends Atheism due to not understanding it.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not amused.

I think it is a joke. Let it go. Let’s enjoy the various conversations while they last. :tsu:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

In the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), [1] NPD is defined as comprising a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), a constant need for admiration, and a lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by the presence of at least 5 of the following 9 criteria. 

https://www.medscape.com/answers/1519417-101764/what-are-the-dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria-for-narcissistic-personality-disorder-npd

There is nothing odd about believing in oneself it is ones self worth and is indicative of self reliance integral to independence/interdependence. It sounds like you are uncomfortable with your friends Atheism due to not understanding it.

That would be Trump, no????

Believing in oneself as opposed to openly, publicly worshipping oneself are 2 entirely distinct mindsets.

Wouldn't you agree?

Edited by pallidin
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I think it is a joke. Let it go. Let’s enjoy the various conversations while they last. :tsu:

Still not amused and someone brought politics into the thread, well, this was fun

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pallidin said:

That would be Trump, no????

Believing in oneself as opposed to openly, publicly worshipping oneself are 2 entirely distinct mindsets.

Wouldn't you agree?

It is certainly possible to be an Atheist and be a Narcissist, what isn’t working is to over generalize into all Atheists have NPD.

What are the things about your friend that demonstrate NPD and how do you think his Atheism contributes or causes it?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2