Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Smoking kills’ could be printed on every cigarette under new UK proposals

Still Waters

Individual cigarettes could have “smoking kills” printed on them under a raft of tough measures proposed by MPs to encourage more people to quit the deadly habit.

MPs have submitted an amendment to the health and care bill going through parliament which would allow the health secretary to make graphic health warnings mandatory.

“We know that cigarettes are cancer sticks and kill half the people who use them. So I hope that health warnings on cigarettes would deter people from being tempted to smoke in the first place, especially young people,” said Mary Kelly Foy, the Labour MP behind the move.

Cancer Research UK and the Royal College of Physicians, which represents hospital doctors, are backing the plan. Foy says only “bold action” will help the government achieve its ambition of England being smoke-free – where only 5% of people light up – by 2030.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/20/smoking-kills-could-be-printed-on-every-cigarette-under-new-proposals

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

"Individual cigarettes could have “smoking kills” printed on them under a raft of tough measures proposed by MPs"   .........sorry but :lol:

My Polish friend who smokes (i never have), his cigarette packets have colorful pictures of cancer ridden lungs on them......that's enough to put me off. Not sure printing 'smoking kills' on each cigarette would be enough. Perhaps if say 0ne in every five had a small explosive in it, that might do the trick.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 5

As if everyone that smokes doesn't know that already or will care one bit more.  Do-gooders :rolleyes:

Can you imagine?  A person takes a cigarette out of the pack, is about to light up when they stop out of curiosity.  What is this writing?  Oh my, what am I doing?  And they toss it in the bin never to be tempted again. :innocent:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Still think the anti smoking band wagon has gone OTT with regards to its "anti" smoking fascism. I have to take the stance of civil liberties on this one over the needs of Government.

As a recent convert to Vaping (which I find preferable to smoking) I again struggle to understand the 'anti' side of the fence.

People can mock actions like this but the fact of the matter is that they work. Smoking has went way down since the warnings were added to packets, and I'm sure having Smoking Kills on each cigarette would further reduce smokers.

23 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

They should put signs on bullets. :innocent::ph34r:

“This end towards fascists” for example.

I’d make the ink flare in different colours as they smoke, maybe add a different colour to the smoke itself. 

15 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

People can mock actions like this but the fact of the matter is that they work. Smoking has went way down since the warnings were added to packets, and I'm sure having Smoking Kills on each cigarette would further reduce smokers.

Warnings on cigarette packets had no effect on reducing smoking.most people quit because they were too expensive or switched to vaping because they are much cheaper.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, diddyman68 said:

Warnings on cigarette packets had no effect on reducing smoking.most people quit because they were too expensive or switched to vaping because they are much cheaper.

Results

We identified 32 studies conducted in 20 countries with 812,363 participants. Studies commonly examined changes from text to pictorial warnings (64%); the remainder examined strengthened text or strengthened pictorial warnings. Knowledge increased in all 12 studies that assessed it. Studies of beliefs/attitudes and intentions showed mixed results. Quitline calls increased in four of six studies, while foregoing of cigarettes did not increase. Cigarette consumption decreased in three of eight studies; quit attempts increased in four of seven studies; and short-term cessation increased in two of three studies. Smoking prevalence decreased in six of nine studies.

Conclusions

Strengthening warnings was associated with longitudinal increases in knowledge, quitline calls and reductions in smoking behavior. Strengthening warning policies should be a priority for tobacco control globally.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953616302921

absolutely not enough, every shred of tobacco needs to be stamped, Every filter fiber needs a stamp too. every pack needs to be registered, and every purchase reported to nhs, there needs to b a limit how many one can buy a week, and every smoker needs to be licensed, and license renewed every year. must have clean driving, and criminal record, outstanding debt of more than 1000 pounds, will raise the price by 5%, and additional 3% for every 1000 pounds, over 5000 pounds. It will also be reported to your car/house insurance companies, so they can adjust their rate accordingly,

Edited by aztek

On 10/23/2021 at 2:57 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

Smoking rates may have gone down, but it had NOTHING to do with the stupid warnings on the pack. As an ex-smoker who has lived around other smokers for years, I can say that with certainty. Some of them have quit, but guess how many quit because of the insipid warning labels? Take a wild guess.

Stamping each one is pointless overkill. It has nothing to do with "savings lives" and everything to do with holier than thou types shaming those they consider lesser.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, itsnotoutthere said:

Perhaps if say 0ne in every five had a small explosive in it, that might do the trick.

Even if it didn't, it'd damned sure liven up the smoker's life :w00t:    I wonder when they'll begin placing photos of cast members of "My 600lb Life" on candy wrappers?

Pffft waste of time. For blokes anyway.

Just buy the smoking is bad for pregnancy instead of the cancer ones. Blokes can't get pregnant!!!

Problem solved.

Chicks are stuffed though. 

• Haha 1

Issue i see is if the print is on the cigarrette itself , then that adds to the amount of chemicals one is smoking . As now you are smoking ink too.

• Thanks 1