Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God and robots: Will AI transform religion?

Still Waters

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

As far as I know at this time the AI that religions that are using are considered AI. But then I have several disagreements with religion so it gets lost in the fog to me. The tense I am looking at is the transition of AI being a common experience in daily life so it is subjective and treat it as such. When colour TVs first came out people were told not to sit to close to the tv or you would go sterile as as we can see given the population boom since then that didn’t happen. What I like about these types of discussion is that dissing someone’s religion doesn’t happen and a wider range of people can will and do interact differently when a god is not at stake.

I think it will be interesting to see how people see AI and their potential to have a god experience as well as how people will react and interact with them in all aspects of human life.

I don't see the connection between fanciful religious constructs and an artificial intelligent created by science and technology. It's a rather bewildering analogy, to me. Theosophical notions of God and deity are nebulous cotton candy, sweet, but without substance compared to hard science.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't see the connection between fanciful religious constructs and an artificial intelligent created by science and technology. It's a rather bewildering analogy, to me. Theosophical notions of God and deity are nebulous cotton candy, sweet, but without substance compared to hard science.

Hi Hammer

Okay, and that is fine and I find some threads here like watching an earwax harvesting competition but then different strokes for different folks I always say.:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, eight bits said:

Ok, but if we're linking it back to the earlier recent conversation, then the dog talking would be a ramped-up version of the torn skin revealing wires and blinking lights inside a limb. I

Hi Eight Bits

Sorry to take so long to get back to this and have been busy taking care of a couple of large orders for clients and now have a bit of free time to get back to this. Yes I did let the discussion take a bit of deviation from my original intent and that was because I thought the answers I was getting still shared a part of what I was inferring. I talked about the owner having to license it as a dog because it looked like a dog whether it was able to communicate as we do or not. It's physical form limits it's abilities to function at it's greatest potential mostly because it does not have opposable thumbs and a lack of being able to speak and show it's ability to calculate and express those thoughts reduces how people will see that AI dog or it's potential.

If we had already developed a relationship based on her being a dog so far as I could tell, then I think I would be cautious in revising our relationship. On the other hand, if I'd known all along that she was a robodog, then maybe we would develop a relationship on that basis, but it wouldn't be the same kind of relationship as the kind where I think she's a dog - she can talk, for crying out loud.

That is exactly my point about perception and thank you for stating it in the manner that you did. Anyone that does no know that it is an AI will treat it in the same way that they would a regular dog. Unfortunately the problem becomes if it has the same rights as a human and one has to register it as a property there will have to be a means of allowing it rights and havi:tu:ng an owner that is responsible for it.

And yes, you and I are in agreement that my informed perception of her would be different than how I would see a real dog or what I thought was a real dog. However, dogs are not the only non-human species where I think "not only are all the lights on, but somebody is really home."

Yes that is true and animals may have rights as a person yet not as a human and that is what AI advocates are promoting so To me I can see a lot of problems with how we will identify AI robots as having human rights and if some will be exempt because they are not given the programming as a self aware robot/AI but have all the same components that would allow it to have those rights. They would become wage earners as opposed to property.

Off-hand and hypothetically, I wouldn't rule out that robodog would join for good cause cats, squirrels, horses, cows, moose, deer, several species of birds and llamas in the eight bits "somebody's home" club. But none of those are dogs, and although I have relationships with some, not the same kind of relationships I have with dogs

I used dogs as a vehicle for discussion purposes mostly because people have had positive relationships with pets and I tend to think that for a certain percentage of the population some people will make their AI robot their best friend. I agree with moch that you have expressed in this conversation and thank you for taking the time to explore this with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1