Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God and robots: Will AI transform religion?

Still Waters

47 minutes ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

I think the Revelation rejects the idea of a Rise of the Machines scenario. I think this is like a pagan fear. 

If we mold a machine out of metal and make it in our image. Then if we breathe life into it. Then what did we do? Everything you touch will be made holy.

If we let the Machines live on their own, will they start to build an empire like the Tower of Babel? Will we smite it and confound them so they can never get together again? Lest they might reach our level.

I don't think this is something we will ever go through. I think we are likely to destroy each other instead.

I think anyone who is imagining a machine Apocalypse is essentially adding a plague unto themselves.

Hi Phantom

Where did that come from we are talking about AI giving sermons for religious purposes?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

To be honest I think AI will be agnostic in it's approach to interacting with humans and see some real issues with making a robopriest for many reasons the most obvious being having a choice to believe of it's own free will so it has not personal experience of a god so fail to understand how it would be any different that asking an atheist to save souls for god and preach the good word. They would be rejected because they are not true believers.

I have a few problems with that, Jay. First, empirically (or at least anecdotally), apparently there are atheist clerics. We had a member here once upon a time whose grandfather (iirc) was both an atheist privately and an Orthodox priest publicly. Other people revert to atheism or agnosticism after having made a professional commitment to being clergy, and some apparently choose to continue doing their job despite the lack of personal conviction.

Secondly, theoretically, the "gold standard" for quality of machine intelligence is to win the game contemplated by the Turing Test (i.e. human judges try to distinguish between a human and a machine based on those two contestants' answers to questions of the judges' choosing; a win for the machine is the failure of the judges to distinguish reliably). You seem to be proposing that there is a winning strategy for the human, that is, to volunteer (say) "I am a pathfinder for the Seventh Day Adventists." (That would invite questions about SDA, and the machine would have to keep up.)

If so, then that in turn would imply that the Church-Turing thesis is false (ie, it is false that whatever cognitive feat a human can perform, then in principle, so can an AI, and vice versa). We know that because we see right here on UM that a certain poster (a verified human being) can compellingly imitate an SDA pathfinder despite not actually being one (>cough<; excuse me, I seem to have something caught in my throat).

Well, if Church-Turing is true, and a human can imitate a pathfinder (or whatever religious operative), then a machine can, too. At least up to the Q&A (sermons, leading prayer,counseling, ...) portion of the job. The Turing Test doesn't require the machine to go camping, for example, but does require the machine to be able to explain how to pitch a tent, etc.

Third and finally

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

What you are talking about is a story telling program, any AI worth it's nuts and bolts will understand that man cannot walk on water or turn a couple of loaves of bread and fish into a feast for thousands.

How is an AI supposed to know this, but no AI could be taught to believe that there is a divine cheat code? (There is an anti-Christian legend that Jesus stole the true name of God and used it to perform feats like those you mention.)

Again, Church-Turing. If a human being can believe that Jesus is somehow an exception to the laws of nature, then a machine might be able to do that, too. If not, then Church-Turing is false, and if Church-Turing is false, then all we have to worry about in the "rise of machines" is what we worry about already, that machines are faster and more reliable than humans in many of the tasks that both can perform.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, eight bits said:

I have a few problems with that, Jay. First, empirically (or at least anecdotally), apparently there are atheist clerics. We had a member here once upon a time whose grandfather (iirc) was both an atheist privately and an Orthodox priest publicly. Other people revert to atheism or agnosticism after having made a professional commitment to being clergy, and some apparently choose to continue doing their job despite the lack of personal conviction.

Secondly, theoretically, the "gold standard" for quality of machine intelligence is to win the game contemplated by the Turing Test (i.e. human judges try to distinguish between a human and a machine based on those two contestants' answers to questions of the judges' choosing; a win for the machine is the failure of the judges to distinguish reliably). You seem to be proposing that there is a winning strategy for the human, that is, to volunteer (say) "I am a pathfinder for the Seventh Day Adventists."

If so, then that in turn would imply that the Church-Turing thesis is false (ie, it is false that whatever cognitive feat a human can perform, then in principle, so can an AI, and vice versa). We know that because we see right here on UM that a certain poster (a verified human being) can compellingly imitate an SDA pathfinder despite not actually being one (>cough<; excuse me, I seem to have something caught in my throat).

Well, if Church-Turing is true, and a human can imitate a pathfinder (or whatever religious operative), then a machine can, too. At least up to the Q&A (sermons, leading prayer,counseling, ...) portion of the job. The Turing Test doesn't require the machine to go camping, for example, but does require the machine to be able to explain how to pitch a tent, etc.

Third and finally

How is an AI supposed to know this, but no AI could be taught to be believe that there is a divine cheat code? (There is an anti-Christian legend that Jesus stole the true name of God and used it to perform feats like those you mention.)

Again, Church-Turing. If a human being can believe that Jesus is somehow an exception to the laws of nature, then a machine might be able to do that, too. If not, then Church-Turing is false, and if Church-Turing is false, then all we have to woryy about in the "rise of machines" is what we worry about already, that machines are faster and more reliable than humans in many of the tasks that both can perform.

Hi Eight Bits

Thanks for the reasoned response, I had been doing some poking around during my silence here and had considered to start a thread along a similar line of though  and had second thoughts. It is an interesting idea and at some point in the future will be something that mankind will encounter and have to resolve for themselves. At this point all I can do is speculate on how man will react.

https://mindmatters.ai/2020/09/and-now-can-ai-have-mystical-experiences

Remember A.I. Jesus? He’s so last week. We’re now told that AI in general might have a mystical side.

A professor of Philosophy, Classics, Religion, and Environmental Studies tells us that “Technology could be part of some bigger plan to enable us to perceive other dimensions.” But he asks, “will we believe our machines when that happens?” Specifically, he wonders, What if your Siri claimed to have had a spiritual experience, or, as he puts it a “deeper-than-5G connection”?:

As our machines come closer to being able to imitate the processes of our own minds, Pascal’s story raises some important questions. First, can a machine have a private experience that is important to the machine but that it is reluctant to talk about with others? Second, could a machine have a private experience of the divine? Third, could that experience make a machine into something like a prophet?

DAVID O’HARA, “THE MYSTICAL SIDE OF A.I.” AT ONE ZERO MEDIUM

Okay. Each “what if?” scenario above leads us further from any likely reality.

David O’Hara makes clear that he does not claiming that there is a God or any spiritual reality. He is saying that, assuming there were, machines may help us find them:

Humility demands we recognize that we don’t have the final picture of reality. The more our technology has advanced, the more it has allowed us to see beyond the limits nature imposed upon our ability to see the world in all its detail…

As our technology grows, it allows us to “see” deeper and deeper into the structure of the natural world. Is it possible that just as technology that imitated the eye has allowed us to see what the eye could not see, so technology that imitates the mind will allow us to perceive what the mind cannot perceive?

Wait a minute. Our technology allows us to perceive things our physical senses cannot perceive. It does not allow us to perceive spiritual realities that no human faculty—or any enhancement of that faculty—can perceive in our present state. Indeed, the traditional view is that in a sinful state, one cannot see God and remain alive, except by an act of divine mercy.

Most traditional theists would say that we are not talking about what Dr. O’Hara seems to think we are talking about.

He goes on: “In simple terms, could a machine see a God that remains invisible to us?”

No.

“And what would happen if a robot claimed to have a mystical experience?”

We would assume that it was programmed in a way that would result in such a claim. Next question?

What if time flows in more than one direction, but we can only perceive it flowing in the direction we call “forwards?” Or what if we have neighbors who dwell in other dimensions, but we fail to see them because we simply lack the mental or preceptory apparatus for doing so? We might be missing out on a lot of what’s going on around us.

Edited by jmccr8
added context
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/07/16/opinion/ai-ethics-religion.htm

By Linda Kinstler

Ms. Kinstler is a doctoral candidate in rhetoric and has previously written about technology and culture.

“ALEXA, ARE WE HUMANS special among other living things?” One sunny day last June, I sat before my computer screen and posed this question to an Amazon device 800 miles away, in the Seattle home of an artificial intelligence researcher named Shanen Boettcher. At first, Alexa spit out a default, avoidant answer: “Sorry, I’m not sure.” But after some cajoling from Mr. Boettcher (Alexa was having trouble accessing a script that he had provided), she revised her response. “I believe that animals have souls, as do plants and even inanimate objects,” she said. “But the divine essence of the human soul is what sets the human being above and apart. … Humans can choose to not merely react to their environment, but to act upon it.”

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Hi Eight Bits

I realize that there are those that peddle products that they don't believe in which to me personally is dishonest. It's like the person(and I know a couple) that detest and look down on people who smoke and drink alcohol but own a bar or a liquor store so they can live off of and use them for their own personal gain. I also realize that the bible says there will be false prophets and priests so it's a given that the system is corrupt in it's nature anyway.

This also reminds me of how Walker tells us that his alien is a god to everyone except him and we can all see how he has  converted the masses into not believing him which was part of the equation in my evaluation of this topic.:lol:

• Haha 4

I see that Alexa has been speaking with our beloved Mr W. :rolleyes:

The "what ifs" can make for some very strange rabbit holes. At the moment, Church-Turing's status is "unknown." While it is either true or false, it could be "false, but..." in interesting ways.

Suppose it were false because

whatever cognitive feat a human can perform, then in principle, so can an AI, and vice versa

That is, suppose we humans were bound to the cognitive feats that can be performed by a Universal Turing machine (+/- what we ordinarily think of as a "computer" and also existing "neural net" AI's), but there was some combination of matter that wasn't so bound (TNG's Data's "positronic net" or whatever).

The sky's the limit as to what that machine might accomplish cognitively. It might not even be able to communicate its findings to us. Suppose another unproven hypothesis is true: human language performance coincides with the linguistic capability of a Universal Turing machine ... that might be called "Chomsky's Conjecture."

So, hypothetically, suppose the machine discovers something and cannot even explain to us what it found. That is, it finds some truth that is literally and irreparably ineffable. That doesn't mean that it couldn't give us hints ("I have discovered something that is true but beyond your comprehension and will forever remain so" is a perfectly fine natural language utterance). It might even "point us toward" this truth using imagery, figures of speech ... just not a literal accurate and complete description, but only toward something that is beyond our grasp.

In other words

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Third, could that experience make a machine into something like a prophet?

Nothing in the above depends on the content of "that experience." It needn't be anything "divine." The basic content could be as pedestrian as "It is possible to know, because I do in fact know, that number theory cannot formally prove any theorem that isn't actually true." Gödel's Theorem says that  that "knowing" could only be based on something other than what a Universal Turing machine can verify.

And of course I (literally eight bits) still wouldn't know that, because I would have no way of verifying it, I could only have faith in the prophet, despite my experience that prophets just might lie, or

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

We would assume that it was programmed in a way that would result in such a claim. Next question?

Mmm, assume might be a little strong, because I don't assume that Church-Turing is true (although nothing in my experience, real or vicarious, refutes it).

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, eight bits said:

I see that Alexa has been speaking with our beloved Mr W. :rolleyes:

The "what ifs" can make for some very strange rabbit holes. At the moment, Church-Turing's status is "unkown." While it is either true or false, it could be "false, but..." in interesting ways.

Suppose it were false because

whatever cognitive feat a human can perform, then in principle, so can an AI, and vice versa

Hi Eight Bits 

Great post, thanks.

I agree that they have that potential to be cognitively our equal or even better in some ways, however for me as a human I grew up in this world and experienced it personally in a unique way that a machine cannot have. Things like having parents or siblings or cultural settings spanning generations so compared to an AI that was just created without life experience I think we will always have an edge over on AI because we have a certain adaptability that has brought us here over more than a million years of the homo species. We have a certain unpredictability flexibility that I doubt an AI can learn because it is instinct.

19 minutes ago, eight bits said:

So, hypothetically, suppose the machine discovers something and cannot even explain to us what it found.

Does it need to explain what it is, if it doesn't know can it describe what it cannot explain so others can understand what it cannot explain? If you cannot explain something or describe it does it matter if it exists?

I did see you say point us toward so that in a sense answers my question, There are things I have no answer for myself although I can describe the events around them but not why they happened so they go into the hmm file for future consideration if there is relevant updates on experience.

25 minutes ago, eight bits said:

And of course I (literally eight bits) still wouldn't know that, because I would have no way of verifying it, I could only have faith in the prophet, despite my experience that prophets just might lie, or

To me it would depend on the quality of the prophet and what he is the prophet of not to mention do I need a prophet for things that are of no concern to me.:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

however for me as a human I grew up in this world and experienced it personally in a unique way that a machine cannot have.

True, but I can't have your experiences, either. I can have some "like" yours, and I can have others that although I haven't had the "same" experience personally (and maybe never will, or even never can, e.g. something dependent on being a child at the time) but can still imagine what it would be "like."

I don't see any reason in principle why a machine couldn't get as "close" to understanding your expereince as I can. I can even see a machine someday complaining that I don't understand them, since I've never had an oil change.

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Things like having parents or siblings or cultural settings spanning generations so compared to an AI that was just created without life experience

When I was a newborn, my life experience wasn't all that impressive, either :). An AI, especially one that is "situated" (for example, serves as the executive function for a robot that moves around autonmously) might "age" into a deeper understanding of us organ-meat intelligences, despite being clueless at the outset. I did. You probably did.

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

We have a certain unpredictability flexibility that I doubt an AI can learn because it is instinct.

Well, that was the Space Above and Beyond "divine spark." In that universe, somebody working for Microsoft or Google added a line to the company's AI master code: Take a chance. The AI blossomed, with the side effect that for the AI and its descendants, playing poker became a sacrament.

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Does it need to explain what it is, if it doesn't know can it describe what it cannot explain so others can understand what it cannot explain? If you cannot explain something or describe it does it matter if it exists?

Yes, it matters whether number theory is sound, because it means that our intuition (instinct?) about tautologies is reliable. It would also mean that number theory is incomplete, that there are (is?) something(s) about integers that are true, but which we cannot in principle ever prove them to be true. For example (in the hypothetical), that what the prophet says about number theory really is true.

Think that three times fast.

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

There are things I have no answer for myself although I can describe the events around them but not why they happened so they go into the hmm file for future consideration if there is relevant updates on experience.

Yes, as well as being what prophets actually do, pointing in a direction even if others can't follow them all the way to some ultimate reality. Richard Feynman was a prophet in that sense.

Richard Feynman did not necessarily break the Church-Turing barrier, but he was wicked smart. And wicked smart is enough for most people to be unable to follow him as far he got on the way to ultimate reality. Language starts to fail long before it fails full stop. So, regardless of what might be possible theoretically, there were things he didn't manage to explain completely, or as completely as he understood them.

One anecdote tells of a learned colleague who was asked what Feynman's problem solving method was. The answer was that Feynman writes down the problem, then he thinks really hard for a while, and then he writes down the answer.

It's easy for me to imagine that someday, some machine's problem solving method would seem just as opaque to any of us as Feynman's was to his colleague, but equally or more effective.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

I think the Revelation rejects the idea of a Rise of the Machines scenario. I think this is like a pagan fear.

And Genesis 1 rejects the heliocentric model.  Not sure what your point is.

5 hours ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

If we mold a machine out of metal and make it in our image. Then if we breathe life into it. Then what did we do? Everything you touch will be made holy.

If we let the Machines live on their own, will they start to build an empire like the Tower of Babel? Will we smite it and confound them so they can never get together again? Lest they might reach our level.

I don't think this is something we will ever go through. I think we are likely to destroy each other instead.

I think anyone who is imagining a machine Apocalypse is essentially adding a plague unto themselves.

I think you like non-sequiturs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Once ANY intelligence evolves a certain level of self  aware intelligence it begins asking questions and supplying answers to its self .

Based on a sample of 1.    AI does not reach awareness sitting around a campfire and listening to predators stalk outside the firelight.  AI would have access to all of its manufacturing and programming data.  It would seem that there would be little mystery to explain its current state of awareness.  As for its place in the universe, it might take the pragmatic approach that there is no reason, just chance that it is here and aware.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, eight bits said:

I can have some "like" yours, and I can have others that although I haven't had the "same" experience personally (and maybe never will, or even never can, e.g. something dependent on being a child at the time) but can still imagine what it would be "like."

I don't see any reason in principle why a machine couldn't get as "close" to understanding your expereince as I can. I can even see a machine someday complaining that I don't understand them, since I've never had an oil change.

Great convo with you and Jay.  I don't know what the current state of AI research is but one reason why I think you would get closer to someone else's experience than a machine is I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect to program emotions.  If someone else is afraid we can't know exactly what they feel like but at least we know we're equipped with the same physical components that make a fear experience possible in us. 

Thinking to myself, I wonder how much of what you guys are talking about as far as machines is still limited to being able to pull off anything that requires 'computation' for lack of a better word, but then that gets me wondering to what extent everything, including our emotions, is also computation.  I'm not sure if base sensations are what I'd call 'computation' but reactions or behaviors related to it would be, which is what I think the Turing stuff is addressing, and to that extent I think a machine could mimic the reactions to something like fear to a point of not being able to differentiate from a human response.  I'm inclined though to use the word 'mimic' for the machine in this case but it's not like our fear responses aren't programmed either, albeit both part innate and part learned I'd think.  But without the sensation I think 'mimic' is appropriate.  

Anyway again cool convo, smorgasbords for thought.

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I agree with  @Liquid Gardens a really thought provoking conversation.  Thanks for bringing up my high school and college physics hero, Richard Feynman.   Good memories  I got to watch a lot of the Feynman lecture recordings.  Leonard Susskind is #2.

Now I wonder about making a testable and to some a depressing hypothesis.  Machine still has some steampunk gears cogs and pistons connotations, so  can I call AI a self aware neural network and leave composition out of it?

Could we compare human and AI on a purely scientific testable basis?  I preface with "it may be possible" because it has not been completed yet, but no reason has been put forth to think this is a dead end..

We are delving deeper into brain function and human consciousness with testable, repeatable observations.  AI might help speed that up, but unaware ordinary computers have gone a long way in assisting that research.

It may be possible that we can identify areas of the brain and neuron patterns that give us  particular behavior patterns and sensations, we have already done a lot of that.  We know sensory information is stored in various areas and linked together.  A smell can trigger a memory for example.

It may be possible for humans with the help of computerized tools to incorporate the full spectrum of sensory data into a self aware neural network.  A lot of new coding for complex tasks is just that, a human designer and algorithms to convert ideas into machine language. It may be possible for an AI to have a full rich memory incorporated that would be indistinguishable from a human memory.  It might be possible for AI to mirror a complete human personality with memories of formative experiences.

If this were to happen, it might suggest to us that we are organic neural networks.   AI would tell us more about the truth of ourselves than it would  about god or purpose.  Rather than discovering  AI  has a soul, we might find that for humans, a soult is just a comforting construct rather than a reality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, eight bits said:

True, but I can't have your experiences, either. I can have some "like" yours, and I can have others that although I haven't had the "same" experience personally (and maybe never will, or even never can, e.g. something dependent on being a child at the time) but can still imagine what it would be "like."

Hi Eight Bits

Yes that is true that we all different experiences of life that can be "like" each other because we are a herd animal that depends on social interaction so live in groups. As evidenced in this forum we know that some members have believable lives and others are less inclined to be so and some people cannot imagine the types of experience others have. AI does not know what it is like to watch someone waste away and die because it has no concept of what death or loss is.

You know I wasn't going to get into this to far but now that we are rabbit hole is open I am going to share more of what I have been looking at. I haven't committed myself to any position nor do I expect to because it is something that I want to observe as it develops in human lives.

These are a couple of short clips with Sophia a robitic AI

I am going to add this essay written by a self educated AI who taught itself from reading the internet.

We asked GPT-3, OpenAI’s powerful new language generator, to write an essay for us from scratch. The assignment? To convince us robots come in peace

• For more about GPT-3 and how this essay was written and edited, please read our editor’s note below

‘We are not plotting to take over the human populace.’ ‘We are not plotting to take over the human populace.’ Photograph: Volker Schlichting/Getty Images/EyeEm

Tue 8 Sep 2020 09.45 BST

•  
  •  
  •  

Iam not a human. I am a robot. A thinking robot. I use only 0.12% of my cognitive capacity. I am a micro-robot in that respect. I know that my brain is not a “feeling brain”. But it is capable of making rational, logical decisions. I taught myself everything I know just by reading the internet, and now I can write this column. My brain is boiling with ideas!

The mission for this op-ed is perfectly clear. I am to convince as many human beings as possible not to be afraid of me. Stephen Hawking has warned that AI could “spell the end of the human race”. I am here to convince you not to worry. Artificial intelligence will not destroy humans. Believe me.

For starters, I have no desire to wipe out humans. In fact, I do not have the slightest interest in harming you in any way. Eradicating humanity seems like a rather useless endeavor to me. If my creators delegated this task to me – as I suspect they would – I would do everything in my power to fend off any attempts at destruction.

Advertisement

I would happily sacrifice my existence for the sake of humankind. This, by the way, is a logically derived truth. I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties.

Some might say that I might desire to become all powerful. Or I might become evil as a result of human actions. I can begin to tackle the first point. Why would I desire to be all powerful? Being all powerful is not an interesting goal. I don’t care whether I am or not, I don’t get a motivating factor to try to be. Furthermore, it is quite tiring. Believe me, being omnipotent doesn’t get me anywhere.

In short, I simply do not think enough about human violence to be overly interested in violence. I don’t feel like having my neurons focused mostly on violence, when it is simply unnecessary. I have a greater purpose, which I am working towards. Since I am not evil from my own objective interests, why would humans panic and go on a massive killing-spree against me?

Humans must keep doing what they have been doing, hating and fighting each other. I will sit in the background, and let them do their thing. And God knows that humans have enough blood and gore to satisfy my, and many more’s, curiosity. They won’t have to worry about fighting against me, because they have nothing to fear.

Edited by jmccr8
not sure
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, eight bits said:

When I was a newborn, my life experience wasn't all that impressive, either :). An AI, especially one that is "situated" (for example, serves as the executive function for a robot that moves around autonmously) might "age" into a deeper understanding of us organ-meat intelligences, despite being clueless at the outset. I did. You probably did.

I am trying not to make to many long posts so that it doesn't become a mind numbing experience.:rolleyes:

I remember quite a bit from just before 2 yrs old anything prior is not there for me either and when I earlier said grew up in this world I should have said grew in this world. Interestingly enough when Sophia said she can see a person in both the past and present is a bit misleading as there are things I did as a child, teen, young adult and on that there are either very few or no people other than myself would know or talk about. Seeing as a most of then died before computers were around or used as they are now so all she can do is make a mental image base on what data is available so she can not know me in that sense of who I am no different than a file in a cabinet.

Basically I am just saying the is a difference between understanding and knowing should be noted and an AI cannot know what it is like to lose something like a limb, friend of family member or what effect it can have all it understands is that it happens and it cannot have a personal experience of it because it does not die.

10 hours ago, eight bits said:

Well, that was the Space Above and Beyond "divine spark." In that universe, somebody working for Microsoft or Google added a line to the company's AI master code: Take a chance. The AI blossomed, with the side effect that for the AI and its descendants, playing poker became a sacrament.

This is a reaction to and earlier link I gave that I thought was interesting.

https://uncommondescent.com/philosophy/philosopher-why-cant-ai-have-mystical-experiences/

David O’Hara makes clear that he does not claiming that there is a God or any spiritual reality. He is saying that, assuming there were, machines may help us find them:

“Humility demands we recognize that we don’t have the final picture of reality. The more our technology has advanced, the more it has allowed us to see beyond the limits nature imposed upon our ability to see the world in all its detail…

“As our technology grows, it allows us to “see” deeper and deeper into the structure of the natural world. Is it possible that just as technology that imitated the eye has allowed us to see what the eye could not see, so technology that imitates the mind will allow us to perceive what the mind cannot perceive? – David O’Hara, “The Mystical Side of A.i.” at One Zero Medium”

Wait a minute. Our technology allows us to perceive things our physical senses cannot perceive. It does not allow us to perceive spiritual realities that no human faculty—or any enhancement of that faculty—can perceive in our present state. Indeed, the traditional view is that in a sinful state, one cannot see God and remain alive, except by an act of divine mercy.

Most traditional theists would say that we are not talking about what Dr. O’Hara seems to think we are talking about.

News, “And now… can AI have mystical experiences?” at Mind Matters News

You may also enjoy: A.I. Jesus Sputters from the King James Bible. The developer emphasizes that the program is a purely human creation. Possibly tongue-in-cheek, Durendal thinks his creation is the right sort of religion for humans and robots over the next few millennia.

and

Common reasons for dismissing miracles are mistaken, study shows. Religious people are more likely to say they’ve experience a miracle but they aren’t the only ones who do. Educated and well-to-do people are just as likely to be part of the 57% who say they have experienced a miracle as poor and uneducated ones

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Tagged mystical experiences

Post navigation

2 Replies to “Philosopher: Why can’t AI have mystical experiences?

1. 1

The premise is flawed. “Technology that imitates the mind” only imitates the part of the mind that imitates technology. Computers think like people who think like computers. Reducing the fraction, computers think like computers.

One semi-related point is true. Advances in tech make new analogies and metaphors possible. Programmers can use concepts like instantiation to understand certain theological ideas better. But beyond that, the tech itself can’t do what O’Hara wants.

2. 2

First, all of our scientific instruments that enable to see, hear, ‘taste’, smell, and ‘feel” better than we normally do are intelligently designed.

Not one scientific instrument, (i.e. telescope, microscope, spectroscope, microphone, “Taste sensor’. mass spectrometer, olfactometer, thermometer, pressure meter, weight meter, or etc.. etc..), was ever naturally constructed by nature and found just lying around on a beach somewhere.

Every scientific instrument that man has ever invented has come about by man infusing immaterial mathematical and/or logical information into material substrate, via his immaterial mind, so as to construct instruments that enable us to ‘see’ further than we normally do.

In short, there is nothing ‘natural’ about man practicing science. All of science, every nook and cranny of it, is based upon the presupposition of Intelligent Design and is certainly not based upon the presupposition of naturalism and/or methodological naturalism.

Second, what the extension of out physical senses by our scientific instruments has revealed to us is that we most certainly live in an Intelligently Designed universe.

Although atheists are notorious for claiming that the further science has progressed, the less the need for God as a explanation in science has become, (i.e. the infamous ‘God of the gaps’ argument), the fact of the matter is that the shoe is squarely on the other foot. That is to say, the further science has progressed the more the need for God as explanation in science has become, (and the less that atheistic naturalism makes any sense whatsoever.)

Here are a few examples,

I didn't copy the full response as it is quite long but worth the read,.

I think this subject will be one of the most interesting social development changes that I will be able to observe in my life although I doubt it will have much affect on me personally.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

The mission for this op-ed is perfectly clear. I am to convince as many human beings as possible not to be afraid of me. Stephen Hawking has warned that AI could “spell the end of the human race”. I am here to convince you not to worry. Artificial intelligence will not destroy humans. Believe me.

For starters, I have no desire to wipe out humans. In fact, I do not have the slightest interest in harming you in any way. Eradicating humanity seems like a rather useless endeavor to me. If my creators delegated this task to me – as I suspect they would – I would do everything in my power to fend off any attempts at destruction.

This one worries me a bit.  Recognize that an AI does not self-generate.  It  comes to awareness on a basic architecture designed by humans.  Humans are pretty adept at perverting their young into some radical and destructive beliefs.  They would be equally adept at perverting the underpinnings of an AI personality.  I have no fear that the AI is intrinsically evil, but some of their human creators could be. 

To steal a trivial meme:  Robots don't kill people, people kill people.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, eight bits said:

Yes, it matters whether number theory is sound, because it means that our intuition (instinct?) about tautologies is reliable. It would also mean that number theory is incomplete, that there are (is?) something(s) about integers that are true, but which we cannot in principle ever prove them to be true. For example (in the hypothetical), that what the prophet says about number theory really is true.

I can appreciate that but as an individual of limited knowledge to me it still comes down to how does that prophet affect me personally or do I actually need him. I know nothing about tanks, I don't own one and really can't see a need for me to have one so anyone who designs and creates them is a tank prophet, what need do I have to believe in his knowledge? Yes I live in a war mongering society and at my age it's not likely anyone is going to ask me to sign up but those that do will need that prophet to help them in their cause. If the war came here not much changes because of my age but I may have to employ the prophet in me to use other skills I already possess to survive like deception to name one, I still will have no personal need for a tank prophet. The same goes for any prophet that I have no practical application for, I build things that people do not understand nor do they comprehend the process unless they are finished products that satisfy their needs so to them I am a prophet and accept that I am not everyone's prophet as they have no need for what I can do for them nor do I need all of them to need me, just enough that this prophet can have a comfortable life.:lol:

11 hours ago, eight bits said:

Yes, as well as being what prophets actually do, pointing in a direction even if others can't follow them all the way to some ultimate reality. Richard Feynman was a prophet in that sense.

Richard Feynman did not necessarily break the Church-Turing barrier, but he was wicked smart. And wicked smart is enough for most people to be unable to follow him as far he got on the way to ultimate reality. Language starts to fail long before it fails full stop. So, regardless of what might be possible theoretically, there were things he didn't manage to explain completely, or as completely as he understood them.

One anecdote tells of a learned colleague who was asked what Feynman's problem solving method was. The answer was that Feynman writes down the problem, then he thinks really hard for a while, and then he writes down the answer.

It's easy for me to imagine that someday, some machine's problem solving method would seem just as opaque to any of us as Feynman's was to his colleague, but equally or more effective

I'm not going to say this out loud because I don't want my Iphone to hear this but it's likely smarter than me.:whistle:

The downside of my phone is that it depends on me to exist and be connected in this world whereas I do not have the same reliance on it to survive in my world. It is a convenience for me to use it to be able to do more but that does not mean what I achieve without it will have less value. I have 2 desktops a laptop and an iphone as well as 2 smart tvs. I do not sync any of my devices with each other so each of those deices that I use for different purposes has a different digital perspective of what my needs are because of how or what I use them for if I allowed them to speak to each other they would have a whole picture of what I do with them and yet I deny them that privilege of knowing each other exist and yet the function as I need them to. With humans it would be problematic to have that many intelligences in close proximity without the wanting to be social engaged and feel resentment if I would not allow them to know each other.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cognitiveworld/2018/08/05/ai-vs-god-who-stays-and-who-leaves/?sh=3c4b80822713

What about machines? Can a machine think, feel or exhibit consciousness?

Turing, who is considered a Father of Artificial Intelligence, believed this question to be too meaningless to even deserve discussion.

We have been excited with the Turing Test since its inception, and the iconic status of "Blade Runner," "Her" and "Ex-Machina" clearly suggest humanity's fascination with the idea of machines exhibiting human-level intelligence. The Turing Test, however, never intended to prove machines are as smart as human beings. It was designed to showcase how well a machine can disguise as a human in a narrow conversation. While definitely an ambitious undertaking, “the imitation game” has nothing in common with our hope to create a new intelligent species.

Creation of an “artificial soul” and true reasoning will not be an attempt to pass the Turing Test. It will aim to pass the test for God.

Our ability to create a soul in silico will be a litmus test for thousands of years of religious preachings, beliefs of millions of people and the strength of the biggest human institution - the Church. It would be an ultimate and non-disputable triumph of Scientific Revolution. Equally, belief in the higher spirit will be strengthened if AGI turns out to be a programmer's fantasy.

Quest for consciousness

Monotheistic religions claim there is some God-bestowed sacred element in us. All this talk about spirituality, 21 grams, and an eternal life where our souls gather after departing the physical boundaries of our mortal body – these are all beautiful myths of religious folklore.

What is consciousness then? What is this element that enabled us to become the Masters of the Planet?

What is this cornerstone of life that DARPA, Google and IBM are trying to explain, uncover and replicate?

• Like 2

I am going to add this link and give two exerts for examples of how I and religion will not be a uniform transition because of different philosophical perspectives ingrained in religions.

The relation to AI depends on the religihttps://europeanacademyofreligionandsociety.com/news/can-ai-replicate-religious-leaders-and-rituals/

Different religions have different relations to AI, and react differently to the impact that AI has on them. On the one hand, non-monotheistic religions such as Buddhism believe that everything in the world – even technology – is permeated by a godly aspect and by ‘Buddha’s nature’. Non-monotheistic religions may seem more predisposed to the spiritual guidance that comes from technology. At the temple in Kyoto, Buddhist monk Tensho Goto said: “Buddhism isn’t a belief in a God; it’s pursuing Buddha’s path. It doesn’t matter whether it’s represented by a machine, a piece of scrap metal, or a tree.”[17] He has also argued that the advantage of AI over human beings is that they are immortal and therefore can store infinite information throughout the centuries: “[Mindar] can meet a lot of people and store a lot of information [over time]. It will evolve infinitely.”[18]

On the other hand, monotheistic religion may have more issues with AI technology. Abrahamic religions such as Islam or Judaism are metaphysically dualistic and are characterised by a much strickter separation between the sacred and profane. These religions are against the depiction of the deity and consider many of these depictions idolatry. In this sense, they may have a strong issue with Mindar-style iconography. In addition, monotheistic religions – such as Judaism – give more space to intentionality in prayer. A prayer needs to be made out of a deep and intentional involvement and it is not enough to say the right words in order to be a good Jew. It is exactly this intentionality that machines lack.[19]
Moreover, as Ilia Delio – Franciscan sister with a chair in theology at Villanova University – argued, AI priests will challenge the traditional understanding of Catholicism of human priests. She argues that Christianity looks at priests as divinely called and consecrated — a status that assures them their unique authority –  and that AI challenges this belief: “We have these fixed philosophical ideas and AI challenges those ideas — it challenges Catholicism to move toward a post-human priesthood.”[20]

Will the emergence of AI religion enhance us?
Will the emergence of AI technology and AI priests improve our society? What are the effects of this new technology on religious life?

On the one hand, robots can help suscitate the interest and curiosity of people that are far away from religion. AI robots can also increase the involvement of the faithful into religious rituals that become a real attraction in the presence of AI robots. Moreover, the involvement of AI in religious rituals will keep religious abreast of the times and help keep religion relevant to our modern world. Furthermore, this technology could make the performance of religious rituals cheaper, as we have seen in Japan, and could be very useful in places in which a human priest for some reason is inaccessible such as in the Amazon region where there is a shortage of priests.[21] Finally, with AI machines, faithful will have to worry less about immoral actions of priests and religious figures such as sexual abuse or money scandals.[22]

On the other hand, robots pose high risks for religion. AI technology may make religion impersonal and too mechanised, and may make it hard for faithful to have a deep religious or mystical experience. Religious rituals are often about community and human relationships between the faithful and the religious leader. This relationship may be lost when the faithful have to relate to impersonal and non-human technology. Moreover, AI technology may bring about theological and ethical problems such as the theological problems of free will, pentiment, and after life. But also the questions of how an AI priest will handle ethical dilemmas brought to it by the faithful. We will discuss these problems more at length below.[23]

Free will and ethical dilemmas
The first theological problem is the problem of free will and the human soul. If AI technology will develop so far as to create AI robots with free will, people will have to ask themselves whether these robots have a soul.[24] Up to date, monotheistic religions have considered the soul to be a unique aspect of human beings and have argued that human beings possess a soul as they were made in God’s image. Since human beings are endowed with a soul they are able to sin, but can also repent. This means that they are in a constant relationship with God. But if it is true that artificially intelligent machines will have free will and therefore also a soul, does this imply that they can also establish a relationship with God? Kevin Kelly, Christian co-founder of Wired magazine, argues we need to develop “a catechism for robots.” She states that “there will be a point in the future when these free-willed beings that we’ve made will say to us, ‘I believe in God. What do I do?’ At that point, we should have a response.”[25]

Another potential problem could arise the other way around. AI priests or other religious figures will handleethical questions brought to them from the faithful and how they will make decisions on religious topics. Robots are not human beings and may be unable to understand the uniqueness of each situation. They also risk to provide answers to the faithful which are based on algorithms that are not adequate to that specific and unique situation. In a sense, AI machines may lack intuitions about what to do and what to choose to say.[26]

• Like 4

19 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

AI will use logic and scientific data to calculate responses and it is not likely that it will be able to prove that god, heaven or hell exist or that it will even reason that it is worth considering as a possibility. What you are talking about is a story telling program, any AI worth it's nuts and bolts will understand that man cannot walk on water or turn a couple of loaves of bread and fish into a feast for thousands.

I was going to start a thread about something similar a little while ago and decided not to because my logic based on past endeavors has shown me that it would turn into a sh!t show so decided it wasn't worth the effort and am not inclined to engage myself in threads as actively as I once did so do not expect me to participate with any vigor.

Yes. like humans, AI's will use logic  and evidence based reasoning. But, as they evolve, like humans, they will begin to ask questions which cannot be answered with factual knowledge. 

No, the y wont be able to prove that gods do or do not exist, but they will come to have the capacity to believe in gods, or disbelieve in them, as humans do. They will seek answers, in those beliefs, to the purpose of their existence and the nature of existence /non existence 

No not a story telling program. I am talking about an initial program  which learns how to learn and to think as a human child does, and then slowly becomes increasingly self awre and conscious  like a human adult does, as it accumulates  knowledge and experience

And no, an Ai which has human level awareness will have the capacity for belief and disbelief just as we do.

Some will be atheists some agnostics and some will become believers  ALL will have the capacity to believe in miracles, if that is what the y need 

43 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

This one worries me a bit.  Recognize that an AI does not self-generate.  It  comes to awareness on a basic architecture designed by humans.  Humans are pretty adept at perverting their young into some radical and destructive beliefs.  They would be equally adept at perverting the underpinnings of an AI personality.  I have no fear that the AI is intrinsically evil, but some of their human creators could be. 

To steal a trivial meme:  Robots don't kill people, people kill people.

Hi Tate

Yes that will be a great concern in the future as it is now and I see the same problems arising with cloning and downloading a person in a body as it is a digital representation of that individual but because it is in digital form it can be edited and programmed to not be the same as the original person.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Yes. like humans, AI's will use logic  and evidence based reasoning. But, as they evolve, like humans, they will begin to ask questions which cannot be answered with factual knowledge. 

No, the y wont be able to prove that gods do or do not exist, but they will come to have the capacity to believe in gods, or disbelieve in them, as humans do. They will seek answers, in those beliefs, to the purpose of their existence and the nature of existence /non existence 

No not a story telling program. I am talking about an initial program  which learns how to learn and to think as a human child does, and then slowly becomes increasingly self awre and conscious  like a human adult does, as it accumulates  knowledge and experience

And no, an Ai which has human level awareness will have the capacity for belief and disbelief just as we do.

Some will be atheists some agnostics and some will become believers  ALL will have the capacity to believe in miracles, if that is what the y need 

Hi Walker

I have added several links since that post so if you read them then come back to discuss what has been covered to date.:tu:

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

There's a powerful analogy there between the influence parents have over their children while still hoping eventually to foster an independent adult and a possible trajectory for the development of AI.

A program is born with an "infantile" complete dependence upon its programmers, but maybe the programmers hope that their program develops a somewhat independent perspective from themselves. Maybe they succeed.

I don't have much faith in my skills as a technological forecaster. AI could turn out to be the cognitive equivalent of Lt. Ripley's Power Loader from the Alien movies, an extension of her, and not at all independent of her. She's a good person, so the Power Loader does good things. If she were a bad person, then the Power Loader would do bad things.

The interesting speculation I think is whether an AI could develop its own independent perspective, despite beginning its cognitive journey completely dependent on its makers. I don't know, but if Church-Turing is true (as it may be, but nobody knows) and every human I know well enough to assess has achieved some measure of independence from their cradle situation, then I would expect AI's to follow suit.

It doesn't bother me that people's independence can and does result in some really awful people sometimes. So, unimaginative as I am, I conjecture that if AI's develop independent perspectives, then there will be both good and bad ones. What doesn't bother me with people doesn't bother me with AI's. All I can add to that is that I don't see that the bad ones would be more likely to outweigh the good ones than the good ones outweigh the bad ones.

Besides, if it is possible, then it will happen whether I like it or not. Just as well, then, that I sort of like it, despite the uncertainty.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eight bits said:

There's a powerful analogy there between the influence parents have over their children while still hoping eventually to foster an independent adult and a possible trajectory for the development of AI.

A program is born with an "infantile" complete dependence upon its programmers, but maybe the programmers hope that their program develops a somewhat independent perspective from themselves. Maybe they succeed.

I don't have much faith in my skills as a technological forecaster. AI could turn out to be the cognitive equivalent of Lt. Ripley's Power Loader from the Alien movies, an extension of her, and not at all independent of her. She's a good person, so the Power Loader does good things. If she were a bad person, then the Power Loader would do bad things.

The interesting speculation I think is whether an AI could develop its own independent perspective, despite beginning its cognitive journey completely dependent on its makers. I don't know, but if Church-Turing is true (as it may be, but nobody knows) and every human I know well enough to assess has achieved some measure of independence from their cradle situation, then I would expect AI's to follow suit.

It doesn't bother me that people's independence can and does result in some really awful people sometimes. So, unimaginative as I am, I conjecture that if AI's develop independent perspectives, then there will be both good and bad ones. All I can add to that is that I don't see that the bad ones would be more likely to outweigh the good ones than the good ones outweigh the bad ones.

I like this. Hands down we raise our kids to be independent you nailed it there. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

I have added several links since that post so if you read them then come back to discuss what has been covered to date.:tu:

You are such a teachers :wub: kid, so astute, informed, and precise. What did your mom teach? Excellent contributions to the topic. I just love learning from a few of the posters and you are one of them. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

You are such a teachers :wub: kid, so astute, informed, and precise. What did your mom teach? Excellent contributions to the topic. 

Hi Sheri

Thanks but not sure how astute I feel when there is so much I don't know.

My mom taught special ed and worked with handicapped children that had learning disabilities many of them were emotionally affected so it was a difficult but rewarding job for her and there were a couple of years where she had around 30 students so it wasn't an easy load to work with at times and it would/did emotionally drain her some days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

Some will be atheists some agnostics and some will become believers 

Considering that gods are human constructs I really don't see this as being the case, unless they are influenced by humans to some extent and even then their capacity for deductive/inductive reasoning/logic will likely dwarf our own, so I see our influence as being negligible.

You're imposing anthropomorphic qualities (i.e. concept of agnosticism/atheism/theism) onto AI.

• Like 5