Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extreme” Drought Affecting Agricultural Lands in the Northern Great Plains

Grim Reaper 6

Decades of drought across the U.S. Southwest has led some scientists to classify the intense, prolonged dryness as a “megadrought.” But drought in North America took a different shape in 2021, affecting areas that do not face long-term or intense drought as often. The northern Great Plains has been coping with drought for months.

According to the U.S. and Canadian drought monitors, “extreme” drought first took hold in North Dakota and Manitoba in mid-March 2021. By summer, extreme and “exceptional” drought (the worst classification) had spread to parts of Montana, Minnesota, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Recent autumn rainfall has lessened the impact in some areas, but for the most part soils remain parched.

https://scitechdaily.com/extreme-drought-affecting-agricultural-lands-in-the-northern-great-plains/

10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Decades of drought across the U.S. Southwest has led some scientists to classify the intense, prolonged dryness as a “megadrought.” But drought in North America took a different shape in 2021, affecting areas that do not face long-term or intense drought as often. The northern Great Plains has been coping with drought for months.

According to the U.S. and Canadian drought monitors, “extreme” drought first took hold in North Dakota and Manitoba in mid-March 2021. By summer, extreme and “exceptional” drought (the worst classification) had spread to parts of Montana, Minnesota, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Recent autumn rainfall has lessened the impact in some areas, but for the most part soils remain parched.

https://scitechdaily.com/extreme-drought-affecting-agricultural-lands-in-the-northern-great-plains/

I'm sure they are blaming Man Made Climate Change for it.

So, why do I live in Texas you ask?  Because my great grandparents moved to Texas when Oklahoma became  The Dust Bowl.  My grandfather told me they came in a wagon.  He wasn't kidding.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

I'm sure they are blaming Man Made Climate Change for it.

So, why do I live in Texas you ask?  Because my great grandparents moved to Texas when Oklahoma became  The Dust Bowl.  My grandfather told me they came in a wagon.  He wasn't kidding.

You don't believe that man made climate change is real?

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius
10 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Joc is a classic conservative so that would be a no.

Br Cornelius

9 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I do not believe.  I am a Climate Change Denier! 

The Climate Changes...it's totally natural.  And if humans are causing it to change...that too is totally natural.   Elephants have always destroyed their environment and it is totally natural.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Br Cornelius said:

Br Cornelius

Aw Br Cornelius...how marvelous to see you again.   What is a Classic conservative?  Is that a Political Ideology? 

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius
3 minutes ago, joc said:

Aw Br Cornelius...how marvelous to see you again.   What is a Classic conservative?  Is that a Political Ideology? 

Its a personality type Joc and you tick all the boxes. Climate change denial comes as part of the package, along with a love of guns.

Br Cornelius

2 minutes ago, joc said:

The Climate Changes...it's totally natural.  And if humans are causing it to change...that too is totally natural.   Elephants have always destroyed their environment and it is totally natural.

:lol: That's cool and I love your comparison with Elephants I suppose somehow that it explains everything. But, it's obviously a subject we will have to agree to disagree on my Friend.

Enjoy the Climate change, hope it keeps you warm this winter!:D 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Br Cornelius

That's ok, I don't agree with him but we are friends. I will say that I don't believe his comments are solely based on his political view, but to each his own.

I do believe man has a major hand in this climate change event that is currently occurring. Throughout the Earths history every Climate Change event that has occurred has been driven by one of two things. Very very Large amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere or in the case of the major ice ages a tilt in the Earths rotation around the Sun. Well, Scientificly at this time we have such a huge amount of CO2 in our Atmosphere that it is causing the Earth to warm. It has never occurred this quickly in the Earths history before, I am 62 years old and I have seen the changes occur in my own lifetime.

In reality this is causing devastating effects worldwide, and we are reaching a point where mankind is going to have to find a way to deal with these results or become part of the planets history. I am happy about one thing I will not be here to see it.

Oh and by the way, humans have always loved to own Ocean front property. Well it appears those who currently own it made a bad investment!:yes:

Maybe George Strait had it right, there may end up being Ocean Front Property in Arizona!:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender

38 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Its a personality type Joc and you tick all the boxes. Climate change denial comes as part of the package, along with a love of guns.

Br Cornelius

Well, I don't really know what all the boxes are.  I wouldn't say I 'love' guns.  I respect weapons.  A gun is a weapon.  Weapons have a purpose.  I'm not an avid gun collector.  I own 3 pistols (357 and two 22s) and a 20guage double barrel shot gun. All of which are kept in a safe.  In Texas the gun laws recently changed.  Anyone (except felons, etc.) can legally carry a gun in their vehicle without a license of any kind and into any building that doesn't display a legal No Guns Allowed sign.

But, I keep my weapons in the safe.  I don't take them out at all unless I am going to shoot a snake or some other critter.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

:lol: That's cool and I love your comparison with Elephants I suppose somehow that it explains everything. But, it's obviously a subject we will have to agree to disagree on my Friend.

Enjoy the Climate change, hope it keeps you warm this winter!:D 

Me too!  That Global Warming thing was pretty tough in February at 5 below.  I guess mostly it's a matter of belief.  We know certain things and we believe certain things.  I don't believe anything much.  I either know something or I don't.  Not believing is not the same thing as believing.  

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

It is my experience that conservative personality types prefer the idea of things over their observed reality. In this way they are capable of ignoring overwhelming evidence if it contradicts their idea of that thing. Their driving theme is bodily purity which extends from the personal body to the national body and drives their tendency towards vaccine denial to their rejection of the other (ie people unlike themselves), a belief in mans destiny usually founded on religious ideas which makes it difficult for them to believe that man could create a problem as large as climate change on his own, and finally an overwhelming nostalgia for their ideas of the past.

Framed by these three ideas just about every quirk of the conservative personality type is easily understandable.

Br Cornelius

2 hours ago, joc said:

If humans are causing it to change..we call it man made climate change.  

I think maybe it is the increased heat caused by our  atmospheric pollution which is causing weather patterns to be Larger and more Powerful.    More powerful atmospheric pressures (Highs/Lows) = more 'active' weather.  Hot and Cold 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lightly said:

I think maybe it is the increased heat caused by our  atmospheric pollution which is causing weather patterns to be Larger and more Powerful.    More powerful atmospheric pressures (Highs/Lows) = more 'active' weather.  Hot and Cold 

I don't think the weather is anymore active than it has ever been.  

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius
8 hours ago, joc said:

I don't think the weather is anymore active than it has ever been.  

The evidence is firmly against you, the insurance industry tracks this very closely and it shows a significant increase in extreme weather events over the last 50 years

image.png.3e235d104b3a0e623484f3b7d227da65.png

image.png.ad7cba9d83a05d74c392b2a18e4aac26.png

https://www.global-greenhouse-warming.com/climate-insurance.html

But as I pointed out no amount of evidence will change your mind on this since you are of a conservative personality type.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

I think the Conservation of Matter and Energy denies it. All the fossil fuels taken out of the underworld and put into the air is not just disappearing. Also something to consider is everything that gives off heat is heating up the planet. During the summer millions if not billions of people are using air conditioners that give off just as much heat outside as they give off to make the inside cold. People used to just make heat in the winter, now it is summer and winter.  

Also we have basically run out of helium.

Edited by The_Phantom_Stranger
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

The evidence is firmly against you, the insurance industry tracks this very closely and it shows a significant increase in extreme weather events over the last 50 years

image.png.3e235d104b3a0e623484f3b7d227da65.png

image.png.ad7cba9d83a05d74c392b2a18e4aac26.png

https://www.global-greenhouse-warming.com/climate-insurance.html

But as I pointed out no amount of evidence will change your mind on this since you are of a conservative personality type.

Br Cornelius

ah, well there you go.  Charts!  Isn't there an intrinsic story behind the reality of the charts though other than just the numbers?  Why was there suddenly an uptick in the 50's and a much larger uptick in the 70s and why does it just keep going up and up and up until it is through the roof in our current time period?  Conservative or Liberal minded...the facts are the same.  The problem with the Liberal Mind is it shows the facts without consideration of the intrinsic story behind the facts.  The truth is that technology has paralleled these numbers.  The ability to gather weather information from all over the globe has paralleled these numbers.  In the 40s we simply didn't have the ability to gather all of the weather information that we did in the 50s...and with the computer age hitting largely in the 70s computation of data took a significant turn.  With every decade, technology has increased our ability to track storms all over the world.  

The chart is interesting, but it just doesn't on it's own tell much of a story.  Without the background of the increase in the ability to observe and calculate data due to technology... it reads one way.  But when you take into consideration other factors, not so much.

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius
2 hours ago, joc said:

ah, well there you go.  Charts!  Isn't there an intrinsic story behind the reality of the charts though other than just the numbers?  Why was there suddenly an uptick in the 50's and a much larger uptick in the 70s and why does it just keep going up and up and up until it is through the roof in our current time period?  Conservative or Liberal minded...the facts are the same.  The problem with the Liberal Mind is it shows the facts without consideration of the intrinsic story behind the facts.  The truth is that technology has paralleled these numbers.  The ability to gather weather information from all over the globe has paralleled these numbers.  In the 40s we simply didn't have the ability to gather all of the weather information that we did in the 50s...and with the computer age hitting largely in the 70s computation of data took a significant turn.  With every decade, technology has increased our ability to track storms all over the world.  

The chart is interesting, but it just doesn't on it's own tell much of a story.  Without the background of the increase in the ability to observe and calculate data due to technology... it reads one way.  But when you take into consideration other factors, not so much.

The insurance industry wants actually useful information on which they can base their business decisions. They take into account your points Joc because if they didn't they would go broke. These are real trends about real events and just because they don't fit your world view doesn't make them untrue.

Br Cornelius

7 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

These are real trends about real events and just because they don't fit your world view doesn't make them untrue.

I don't understand the science well enough to argue this one way or another but I DO understand the politicization of the issue and the fact that it's being pushed for economic reasons.  If it weren't then all the major polluting nations would be equally judged.  As it is, the U.S. seems to be expected to take on the lion's share of costs even though China and India pollute FAR MORE.  I also refuse to acknowledge the moral standing of people who become so animated over this issue yet still enjoy a massive "carbon footprint".  P'raps if the movement self-policed their vocal hypocrites more effectively, they'd be taken more seriously.  That isn't a personal slight, I'm speaking of people like Gore and the child intoning "HOW DARE YOU".  

10 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

The insurance industry wants actually useful information on which they can base their business decisions. They take into account your points Joc because if they didn't they would go broke. These are real trends about real events and just because they don't fit your world view doesn't make them untrue.

Br Cornelius

Are you a point man for an insurance company?  I would be interested in seeing the information where they take into account my points.

• Haha 1

Guest Br Cornelius
5 hours ago, joc said:

Are you a point man for an insurance company?  I would be interested in seeing the information where they take into account my points.

Your one of those right wing johneys who believe in the primacy of the markers until they tell you something inconvenient. A real man of principle.

Br Cornelius

7 hours ago, and then said:

I don't understand the science well enough to argue this one way or another but I DO understand the politicization of the issue and the fact that it's being pushed for economic reasons.  If it weren't then all the major polluting nations would be equally judged.  As it is, the U.S. seems to be expected to take on the lion's share of costs even though China and India pollute FAR MORE.  I also refuse to acknowledge the moral standing of people who become so animated over this issue yet still enjoy a massive "carbon footprint".  P'raps if the movement self-policed their vocal hypocrites more effectively, they'd be taken more seriously.  That isn't a personal slight, I'm speaking of people like Gore and the child intoning "HOW DARE YOU".  

Get your Political rhetoric out this thread and stop trying to derail it with your political agenda, please stick to the topic in the OP or please move along!!:)

Just like some other people we know!:)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

I think the Conservation of Matter and Energy denies it. All the fossil fuels taken out of the underworld and put into the air is not just disappearing. Also something to consider is everything that gives off heat is heating up the planet. During the summer millions if not billions of people are using air conditioners that give off just as much heat outside as they give off to make the inside cold. People used to just make heat in the winter, now it is summer and winter.  

Also we have basically run out of helium.

Not to mention all the major Volcanic eruptions over the last 20 years alone. :yes:

On 10/25/2021 at 7:51 AM, lightly said:

Then go ahead tell it like it is, it's Man Made Climate Change!!:)

• Like 1