Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extreme” Drought Affecting Agricultural Lands in the Northern Great Plains

Grim Reaper 6

Man made or natural, the results may be the same.  Five hundred years ago, way before the Dust Bowl, the Anasazi and other southwest cultures were wiped out by drought.  They had to move and disperse.  They had a few hundred thousand people spread out across four states where we now have 18+ million. We are  a lot more technologically advanced, but we have used our  abilities to push things to the limit.  We are not much more robust than they were.  A goodly portion of US  and Canadian wheat  and livestock are raised in  the northern great plains. If nothing else, it will drive up prices.   There are probably some greedy bast**ds hoping to make money off pushing climate change.  I guarantee there are some greedy bast**ds denying it to maintain their income and lifestyle.

Texas of course is safe, any climate change in west Texas would be an improvement. I have fond memories of visiting my step brother in Lubbock at Texas Tech.. .

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
 General Philip Henry Sheridan

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Not to mention all the major Volcanic eruptions over the last 20 years alone. :yes:

Volcanos actually contribute to global cooling. About once every 20 years a volcano releases mass amounts of sulfur dioxide which contributes to global cooling. The rest of volcanic eruptions contribute 1% to carbon dioxide compared to human activity. Volcanos also throw out many minerals that plants need to grow.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/42/what-do-volcanoes-have-to-do-with-climate-change/

‐-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the verse from Revelation says God hates pollution.

Revelation 11

17 singing,

“We give you thanks, Lord God Almighty,
who are and who were,
for you have taken your great power
and begun to reign.
18The nations raged,
but your wrath has come,
and the time for judging the dead,
for rewarding your servants, the prophets
and saints and all who fear your name,
both small and great,
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

Volcanos actually contribute to global cooling. About once every 20 years a volcano releases mass amounts of sulfur dioxide which contributes to global cooling. The rest of volcanic eruptions contribute 1% to carbon dioxide compared to human activity. Volcanos also throw out many minerals that plants need to grow.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/42/what-do-volcanoes-have-to-do-with-climate-change/

Revelation 11

17 singing,

who are and who were,
and begun to reign.
18The nations raged,
but your wrath has come,
both small and great,

Thanks very much for your comments!:tu:

6 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

Your one of those right wing johneys who believe in the primacy of the markers until they tell you something inconvenient. A real man of principle.

Br Cornelius

sorry Br...you don't know me like that!  You don't have anything showing how the insurance companies have considered the effect of technology in figuring their charts of weather.  so, you do what your kind always does...personal attack.  But that's okay.  What you never learned at the university is how to construct your own thought process.  Does everything always boil down to politics with you people?

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Man made or natural, the results may be the same.  Five hundred years ago, way before the Dust Bowl, the Anasazi and other southwest cultures were wiped out by drought.  They had to move and disperse.  They had a few hundred thousand people spread out across four states where we now have 18+ million. We are  a lot more technologically advanced, but we have used our  abilities to push things to the limit.  We are not much more robust than they were.  A goodly portion of US  and Canadian wheat  and livestock are raised in  the northern great plains. If nothing else, it will drive up prices.   There are probably some greedy bast**ds hoping to make money off pushing climate change.  I guarantee there are some greedy bast**ds denying it to maintain their income and lifestyle.

Texas of course is safe, any climate change in west Texas would be an improvement. I have fond memories of visiting my step brother in Lubbock at Texas Tech.. .

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
 General Philip Henry Sheridan

I was born in Lubbock actually...lived the first 7 years of my life in Levelland.  Pretty accurate name it is.   

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

Joc I supplied you with industry supplied evidence because it fits better with your world view. I could provide much stronger evidence from the ipcc but I knew that would be a red rag to a bull. As I said originally literally no evidence could change your mind.

Br Cornelius

34 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Joc I supplied you with industry supplied evidence because it fits better with your world view. I could provide much stronger evidence from the ipcc but I knew that would be a red rag to a bull. As I said originally literally no evidence could change your mind.

Br Cornelius

IPCC? Heard of Climategate?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Get your Political rhetoric out this thread and stop trying to derail it with your political agenda, please stick to the topic in the OP or please move along!!:)

Just like some other people we know!:)

You should also have knocked Cornelius for bringing "right wing" and "conservative" into the conversation numerous times.

I totally buy into man made climate change.   Not sure anything can be done to change it though.   Too many people and too many countries polluting far worse than the USA.  

Guest Br Cornelius
2 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

IPCC? Heard of Climateg

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius
responded to wrong poster

Guest Br Cornelius

These numbers represent a sharp increase of the number
of recorded disaster events by comparison with the previous
twenty years. Between 1980 and 1999, EM-DAT recorded
4,212 disasters linked to natural hazards worldwide, which
claimed approximately 1.19 million lives and affected over
3 billion people (Figure 1). Economic losses totaled US$
1.63 trillion.

While better recording and reporting may partly explain
some of the increase in events, much of it is due to a

significant rise in the number of climate-related disasters.3
Between 2000 and 2019, there were 510,837 deaths
and 3.9 billion people affected by 6,681 climate-related
disasters. This compares with 3,656 climate-related events
which accounted for 995,330 deaths (47% due to drought/
famine) and 3.2 billion affected in the period 1980-1999. The
number of people affected by disasters, including injuries
and disruption of livelihoods, especially in agriculture, and
the associated economic damage are growing in contrast to
the decrease in mortality.

https://www.preventionweb.net/files/74124_humancostofdisasters20002019reportu.pdf

From the UN.

Br Cornelius

On 10/24/2021 at 10:42 PM, joc said:

I do not believe.  I am a Climate Change Denier! 

The Climate Changes...it's totally natural.  And if humans are causing it to change...that too is totally natural.   Elephants have always destroyed their environment and it is totally natural.

You contradict yourself here.

You deny climate is changing (Climate Change Denier).

And then you say that climate changes, and that it is natural.

But I agree with you: what we humans are doing is as natural as what your elephants are doing.

We are part of nature, as much as elephants are.

Of course, in our arrogance, we think we are above nature.

We are not.

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

Elephants are interesting examples of constructive disruption of an ecosystem. By knocking down trees the elephants clear spaces for grass grazing animals and a whole host of other plains dependent species. Without elephants a whole area of habitat, ie plains grassland, would be replaced by forest and overall the total habitat mix would be reduced and some species might disappear but at the very least become rare. The good thing about elephants is that their numbers are self limiting so they cannot destroy all the forest cover to the detriment to that habitat.

Man has no such constraints , he has managed to postpone all natural constraints and so can destroy his habitat with no limits. He can literally make a wasteland of the whole earth because he has a near unlimited source of labour in the form of fossil fuels. Man is outside nature in the sense that he can literally drive himself extinct like no other species. He is addicted to fossil fuels and the growth in his numbers and wants which it allows. Even if we reversed our population growth today we would still continue to grow our material needs as we improved the welfare of those people already here. Almost everyone in the world aspires to a middle class lifestyle - a lifestyle already unsustainable on the finite planet.

Its a bit like cholera, a species which can proliferate to the  point where it consumes its host, unless it can jump ship and infect another host it will kill itself. The problem for man is that there is no place for humans to jump ship to. If we cannot keep ourselves alive in the most hospitable place within a 100 light years we have no chance of colonizing our nearest sister planets when we destroy our mother earth.

The trajectory we are on means that our extinction is all but inevitable at this stage. Climate change is merely a symptom of our greater predicament and when we cannot even get half the population to acknowledge that we have a problem we are not capable of mobilizing a meaningful response in the time available.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

5 hours ago, Abramelin said:

You contradict yourself here.

You deny climate is changing (Climate Change Denier).

And then you say that climate changes, and that it is natural.

But I agree with you: what we humans are doing is as natural as what your elephants are doing.

We are part of nature, as much as elephants are.

Of course, in our arrogance, we think we are above nature.

We are not.

I see.  Climate Change = Man Made Climate Change.

To say that the climate doesn't go through natural changes would be to negate everything we know about the ice age and subsequent thawing.  So...Climate Change Denier is not denying that the climate is changing...rather that it is changing because of human activity.  I don't think we are changing the climate...and if I'm wrong and we are...so what...we will go extinct like the dinosaurs.  Eventually in another million years or so another species will evolve into a neo-cortex thinking animal and there we go all over again.  I doubt that humans will go extinct.  We are too adaptable. 

From my understanding it is mankind's duty to take care of the planet. We have to reap from the planet, but we don't have to completely destroy it. We discovered how to get gas from the planet, but we don't have to brutally FRAC it and pollute the water supply. We have a freewill, and should balance our destruction of the planet with the preservation of it.

God's initial purpose for mankind was to be the gardeners of Eden. We were fired from that job, but it still is the main purpose of mankind. God gave man dominion over the planet, he told Adam to subdue the Earth. He said to subdue, not brutally destroy it.

Genesis 1

28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. 

47 minutes ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

From my understanding it is mankind's duty to take care of the planet.

It is our duty to take care of the planet?  Are you insane?  The Planet is trying to kill us all!  The planet doesn't want life to exist on it.  It kills us every chance it gets.  Mother Earth, we must protect Mother Earth.  Hell no we don't have to  protect the damn planet...we just have to protect ourselves from being killed by our dear Mother!

Edited by joc

17 hours ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

Revelation 11

17 singing,

who are and who were,
and begun to reign.
18The nations raged,
but your wrath has come,
both small and great,

The only thing worse than bringing politics into every thread is bringing religion into every thread.  No one has a damn clue what Revelations means.  No one.  That means you too!

Guest Br Cornelius

There is literally no way to directly attribute the developing mega drought in America to climate change, thats not how these things work. What is certain though is that these events are measured in return times, and climate change makes the return times shorter. Thus the American mega drought would be described as an event with a 1000year return time. In the new dispensation the return time will be 500years or twice as frequently. This is how all climate change natural distasters are measured and all climate return times are shrinking.

Br Cornelius

17 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

The trajectory we are on means that our extinction is all but inevitable at this stage. 

I disagree.   I do think the population will suffer, but our species will survive.  Maybe a hundred million, maybe 1 million, but we will survive.  

I just don't see how we can stop it with the worlds population growing every day.  More people means more resources will be used.  

16 hours ago, joc said:

I see.  Climate Change = Man Made Climate Change.

To say that the climate doesn't go through natural changes would be to negate everything we know about the ice age and subsequent thawing.  So...Climate Change Denier is not denying that the climate is changing...rather that it is changing because of human activity.  I don't think we are changing the climate...and if I'm wrong and we are...so what...we will go extinct like the dinosaurs.  Eventually in another million years or so another species will evolve into a neo-cortex thinking animal and there we go all over again.  I doubt that humans will go extinct.  We are too adaptable. 

We are part of nature. We, as part of nature, have an influence on the climate. We change the climate. Just as much as algea in the oceans do, just like trees do.

But because there are 7 billion people on this rock, our influence on the weather is dominant to all other influences.

And yes, I also believe we are not forever the dominant species.

I assume you know what I think about what species will take over after we are gone/killed eachother off.

They already have something equivalent to our neo-cortex.

And they are vèry smart.

"Caw!"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

We are part of nature. We, as part of nature, have an influence on the climate. We change the climate. Just as much as algea in the oceans do, just like trees do.

But because there are 7 billion people on this rock, our influence on the weather is dominant to all other influences.

And yes, I also believe we are not forever the dominant species.

I assume you know what I think about what species will take over after we are gone/killed eachother off.

They already have something equivalent to our neo-cortex.

And they are vèry smart.

"Caw!"

sheep?B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

sheep?B)

If you say so my Brooother!:lol:

How do you guys in Texas handle the Sheep, do you grab them by the front or back legs or both?:lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Your sheep caw??

Your sheep don't?  

Oh wait...geeze, that's right, no, your right sheep don't caw...C r o w s ....caw!  Sheep go baaaa baaaa baaaa...

But wait...sheep have an awful lot of neo cortex just waiting to evolve into something else...while crows...uh...they just have bird brains...

… Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

… Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead
You better stay home
And do as you're told
Get out of the road if you want to grow old

On 10/29/2021 at 12:22 AM, joc said:

But wait...sheep have an awful lot of neo cortex just waiting to evolve into something else...while crows...uh...they just have bird brains...

Birds-Have-Primate-Like-Numbers-of-Neurons.jpg

so...what is your chart saying exactly?  Other than sheep have more neo-cortex.