Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Government should tell obese to eat less

itsnotoutthere

A Conservative ex-minister has urged the government to "tell people they must not eat so much" in an effort to stop them getting "grossly overweight".

Lord Robathan said the current anti-obesity strategy for England was not working and there had to be more emphasis on personal responsibility.

It should not be "socially acceptable" to be very overweight, he added.

But the government said it was important not to create more anxiety for people with eating disorders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58996499

And in other news...'water is wet' say scientists.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 2

Good Luck with that, Lord Robathan :hmm:. You're just showing your ignorance of the problem. There are more causes of obesity than over-eating and not taking enough exercise. Thyroid imbalances are now prevalent and are difficult to treat. The mental health component in obesity is also difficult to treat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

Good Luck with that, Lord Robathan :hmm:. You're just showing your ignorance of the problem. There are more causes of obesity than over-eating and not taking enough exercise. Thyroid imbalances are now prevalent and are difficult to treat. The mental health component in obesity is also difficult to treat.

But the other 95%......:hmm:

• Like 1

Just now, itsnotoutthere said:

But the other 95%......:hmm:

You're way behind with your information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

fast-food-logos.jpg.8a0f80412fa85fe504b9c29b9e791e2d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too right. The dangers of being overweight need to be discussed.

The number of people who claim some metabolic disorder is a joke and the cost to the nations of the world is high.

Fat people should be taxed more.

4 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Too right. The dangers of being overweight need to be discussed.

The number of people who claim some metabolic disorder is a joke and the cost to the nations of the world is high.

Fat people should be taxed more.

Harsh, I wouldn't quite put it like that, but a bit of personal responsibilty wouldn't go amiss.

6 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Harsh, I wouldn't quite put it like that, but a bit of personal responsibilty wouldn't go amiss.

I don't think it is harsh. 

They consume more.

More food, more CO2, more health services, more fuel to transport them, more wear and tear on surroundings, more clothing, more resources generally.

And it is simple to control.in the vast majority of cases.

Tax weight and watch how quickly things change.

2 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I don't think it is harsh. 

They consume more.

More food, more CO2, more health services, more fuel to transport them, more wear and tear on surroundings, more clothing, more resources generally.

And it is simple to control.in the vast majority of cases.

Tax weight and watch how quickly things change.

Unlikely they're consuming much CO2 at all...

But thanks for showing the true level of your expertise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

And causing some doctors to miss them when they are really there. I complained for four years to my doctor about gaining weight while eating almost nothing but fruit and an once or two of cheese a day. He shrugged it off like "yeah, right" even though I was in my fifties and had never been fat in my life. I went to another doctor who checked my thyroid and put me in the hospital. I was prescribed medication and have lost 25 pounds of fluid in five weeks.

I don't judge...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

We should put all the Fatties on a remote Scottish island, with no food available, and see who is the last one eating.

(I've started packing already! :tu:)

• Haha 2

Just now, Michelle said:

And causing some doctors to miss them when they are really there. I complained for four years to my doctor about gaining weight while eating almost nothing but fruit and an once or two of cheese a day. He shrugged it off like "yeah, right" even though I was in my fifties and had never been fat in my life. I went to another doctor who checked my thyroid and put me in the hospital. I was prescribed medication and have lost 25 pounds of fluid in five weeks.

I don't judge...

I don't judge.

The fact remains.

The vast majority of people who are overweight is because of their life choices and it affects everyone else regardless.

I'd rather tax people to health and the impact it plays than for other reasons like inheritance tax.

I am glad you got to the root cause of your own health.

Poor doctors need to be retrained or removed.

And as a side note, nutrition needs to be a huge part in their training as it has almost been removed in the UK and oftentimes has been taken out of the syllabus all together.

• Like 1

Just now, acute said:

We should put all the Fatties on a remote Scottish island, with no food available, and see who is the last one eating.

(I've started packing already! :tu:)

Televise it and call it Hunger Games.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Televise it and call it Hunger Games.

I think that's been done.

;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

A Conservative ex-minister has urged the government to "tell people they must not eat so much" in an effort to stop them getting "grossly overweight".

Lord Robathan said the current anti-obesity strategy for England was not working and there had to be more emphasis on personal responsibility.

It should not be "socially acceptable" to be very overweight, he added.

But the government said it was important not to create more anxiety for people with eating disorders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58996499

And in other news...'water is wet' say scientists.

I DO have a thyroid disorder and I'm not monstrously fat, I'm barrelchested and have been compared to a bear before, but I'm not scooting around in a rascal to go get pop tarts at Walmart. So I think anybody THAT girthy has a problem beyond a thyroid issue.

2 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I am glad you got to the root cause of your own health.

Poor doctors need to be retrained or removed.

And as a side note, nutrition needs to be a huge part in their training as it has almost been removed in the UK and oftentimes has been taken out of the syllabus all together.

Thank you. I'm still recovering so it is fresh in my mind. They had a nutritionist come in and give me a diet and it feels like all I do is eat all day. It's about five times what I was eating. And that is while I'm losing weight. :lol: I was so malnourished they have me taking all kinds of vitamins too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Thank you. I'm still recovering so it is fresh in my mind. They had a nutritionist come in and give me a diet and it feels like all I do is eat all day. It's about five times what I was eating. And that is while I'm losing weight. :lol: I was so malnourished they have me taking all kinds of vitamins too.

Glad you are on the mend. It can be tricky to sort diet out. I had to try a few things out but high protein along side dense nutrition foods (little fruit, tons of veg for me) does the trick for me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I don't judge...

My mother's family has a history of thyroid disease.   I kept getting mine checked when I started gaining weight.  My levels were all over, but, because they were within range, they said I was fine.  I asked the doctor to do another test, he said the next test was too expensive.  I said so, I have to he having a heart attack before they will do it?  He basically.  5 years ago I drove myself to the hospital because my heart was out of control.  I got there is time, but, the health issues I suffered for years could have been avoided if they would have tested me.  Preventative measures, not treating after the patient  AFTER the fact.

Yes, a lot is diet.  Cutting out all processed food has greatly helped. Fir low income families, quite often those foods are cheaper and to feed their kids, that's what they buy.  And, humans are lazy, it's easier and takes less time to prepare.  And, too much $$ in it for the producers and the governments in taxes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I too have had hypothyroidism diagnosed and Levothyroxine was prescribed. I don't take it any more because it did absolutely nothing, I was as tired as I'd always been and certainly didn't lose any weight.

Thyroid problems are widespread these days and can be caused by: viral infections; various medications including those used for depression, bi-polar, arrythmia, cancer and hepatitis C( many, many people are on these drugs today); pituitary gland problems; lack of iodine in diet; thyroid being attacked by the immune system; type 1 diabetes can provoke hypothyroidism; treatment for an over-active thyroid can produce an under-active thyroid.

The problem of an under-active thyroid is exacerbated by the fact that there is no effective cure for it. Levothyroxine is the most widely used drug for hypothyroidism and denounced by the majority of it's users.

Extremely overweight people often have childhood trauma in their past, so there is obviously a mental health problem too. Mental health services in the UK are renowned for being underfunded and inadequate.

From the NHS site: " There's no way of preventing an underactive thyroid. Most cases are caused either by the immune system attacking the thyroid gland and damaging it, or by damage to the thyroid that occurs during some treatments for an overactive thyroid or thyroid cancer.". How many obese people are as yet undiagnosed with underactive thyroids?

So for the posters here who are so keen to slag off and punish the obese, think twice . . . .  and be thankful that your thyroid isn't one of those that has, quite randomly, all but given up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Most of it is food manufacturers using sucrose and fructose in their food products because they are the cheapest sugars available.

Sucrose and half of fructose (its a sucrose molecule) cannot be directly burned as fuel by our cells. Instead if gets taken up by our fat cells, and the can be burned when lipids are being released by them. Most people dont realise that all sucrose consumed goes directly on their gut and creates the classic pot belly effect.

Even worse is the healthy eating advice tells being to eat 5 portions of fruit and veg per day. Take an apple as an example, it has almost as much sugar in it as a can of Coca Cola and is primarily sucrose. Even worse than that, most healthy eating microwave meals use sucrose if people read the ingredients. And Slim Fast, have a look at how much sugar that contains and its all sucrose.

Sucrose is fruit sugar. We have evolved to fatten ourselves up on it after winter when fruit is available in the spring. It works by altering our brains to turn off feeling full, and to make us have a low mood state when we stop eating it. We have also evolved to turn it all into fat. Its natures way to force us to fatten ourselves up when fruit becomes available. 

Even worse is the poor dietary advice about eating fat. For those who dont know, fat cells do not absorb fat. They absorb sugar. A couple of fat molecules which are at low levels in our diets can be converted into sugar and then absorbed by fat cells but you cannot get fat from eating the vast majority of fats. We eat it, it gets digested and absorbed into our blood stream, once they it gets used as a building block for cells or energy, and what we dont use we breath out.

Potato, rice, cereals, pasta, are all pretty bad too for weight gain.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

fast-food-logos.jpg.8a0f80412fa85fe504b9c29b9e791e2d.jpg

That crap should be taxed to the hilt. It worked for smoking. No amount of talking or educating people will make any difference. It didn't stop people smoking until it got too expensive.

• Like 1

Conservatives tell people that over there?

When someone tried to say it here, they handed out cookies.

• Like 1

55484.jpg.c0cc825f71f8ef2239699e7f022a57b6.jpg

• Haha 2