Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Signs, Cures, & Witchery

rashore

Premiered Nov 1, 2020"Signs, Cures, & Witchery" provides a fascinating glimpse of some little-known Appalachian beliefs and practices among descendants of early German pioneers. This hour-long documentary traces Germanic belief systems from Europe to West Virginia, from the fifteenth century to present-day practitioners. "Signs, Cures, & Witchery" opens a window into our ancient past, revealing the courage and resourcefulness of people whose survival depended on their ability to "read signs," cure their own ills, and find explanations for life's mysteries. Local community practices in West Virginia such as witch doctoring, "belsnickling," "shanghai," and folk healing are connected to their medieval counterparts in woodcuts and other works of art. In tracing immigration to remote mountain communities, we learn how expressions of folk art and occult belief survive. This work specifically examines aspects of Appalachian oral tradition and folklore that draw from German culture. This informative, entertaining film is an invaluable aid to all who have interest in religion, psychology, folklore, metaphysical, regional, gender, and ethnic studies. An Augusta Heritage Recording Researched, produced, and edited by Gerald Milnes. Photography by Gerald Milnes, Jay Kelly, Jimmy Triplett, & Bob Campbell. Narrated by Judy Williams.

• Like 5

There are still a few people in Appalachia, I think of Scot-Irish descent who are purported to be capable of "talking the fire"  out of a burn.   Done with light touches and sometimes bible verses, it is said to relieve pain and reduce burn damage to skin.   The fire talkers don't tout their ability publically , but people they have treated swear by it.     @XenoFish The potency of belief.

• Like 1

Just now, Tatetopa said:

"talking the fire"  out of a burn. 

I got relatives (long dead) that supposedly had such abilities. According to my grandfather I'm supposed to be psychic or something. 

• Like 1

After this thou shalt entirely immerse thyself in the Water, and thou shalt dry thyself with a towel of clean white linen, and then thou shalt put upon thy flesh the garments of pure white linen whereof we shall speak hereafter.

Hereafter, for three days at least, thou shalt abstain from all idle, vain, and impure reasonings, and from every kind of impurity and sin, as will be shown in the Chapter of fast and of vigil. Each day shalt thou recite the following prayer, at least once in the morning, twice about noon, thrice in the afternoon, four times in the evening, and five times before lying down to sleep; this shalt thou do on the three ensuing days:--

THE PRAYER.

HERACHIO, ASAC, ASACRO, BEDRIMULAEL, TILATH, ARABONAS, IERAHLEM, IDEODOC, ARCHARZEL, ZOPHIEL, BLAUTEL, BARACATA, EDONIEL, ELOHIM, EMAGRO, ABRAGATEH, SAMOEL, GEBURAHEL, CADATO, ERA, ELOHI, ACHSAH, EBMISHA, IMACHEDEL, DANIEL, DAMA, ELAMOS, IZACHEL, BAEL, SEGON, GEMON, DEMAS.

O Lord God, Who art seated upon the Heavens, and Who regardest the Abysses beneath, grant unto me Thy Grace I beseech Thee, so that what I conceive in my mind I may accomplish in my work, through Thee, O God, the Sovereign Ruler of all, Who livest and reignest unto the Ages of the Ages. Amen.

These three days having passed, thou must have all things in readiness, as hath been said, and after this a day appointed and set apart. It will be necessary for thee to wait for the hour in which thou shouldest commence the Operation; but when once it shall be commenced at this hour, thou shalt be able to continue it unto the end, seeing that it deriveth its force and virtue from its beginning, which extendeth to and spreadeth over the succeeding hours, so that the Master of the Art will be enabled to complete his work so as to arrive at the desired result.

https://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/kos/kos38.htm

This is what was mentioned in the video.

Actually it's kind of like Napoleon Hill's philosophy.  Concentrate and focus on what it is you desire and the desire will eventually become all consuming so that nothing can keep you from it's attainment.

2 hours ago, joc said:

Actually it's kind of like Napoleon Hill's philosophy.  Concentrate and focus on what it is you desire and the desire will eventually become all consuming so that nothing can keep you from it's attainment.

Not really. There's more to it. Much of it has something to anchor itself to. Plus the sheer potency in the belief that someone has "power". It can influence a person's thought process. Creating a placebo/nocebo effect.