Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We Asked a NASA Scientist: Do Aliens Exist? [

Manwon Lender

Do aliens exist? Extraterrestrial life has never been discovered, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. At NASA, astrobiologists like Lindsay Hays are trying to answer one of the most profound questions ever: Is there life beyond Earth? 

Our definition of habitable environments continues to expand. Off the Earth we’ve only begun to look. NASA has sent five rovers and four landers to the surface of Mars. Additionally, orbiters have been outfitted with some amazing cameras to take pictures of the whole surface of the Red Planet. But we’ve only explored a tiny fraction of Mars. And that’s only one of the promising bodies to look for life in our solar system.

https://scitechdaily.com/we-asked-a-nasa-scientist-do-aliens-exist-video/

• Like 1

If aliens are just 200 years more advanced than us I suspect they may already know of all life in our galaxy, and all civilizations. I say this because baring in mind how advanced our own telescopes are I couldn`t imagine it taking very long before we can see the inhabitants on other planets.

So the question is why haven`t they made contact with us?

Either they are hiding, waiting to see before making contact, think we are insignificant, or there is also the possibility that they have made contact and we are mistaking it for religion.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

If aliens are just 200 years more advanced than us I suspect they may already know of all life in our galaxy, and all civilizations. I say this because baring in mind how advanced our own telescopes are I couldn`t imagine it taking very long before we can see the inhabitants on other planets.

So the question is why haven`t they made contact with us?

Either they are hiding, waiting to see before making contact, think we are insignificant, or there is also the possibility that they have made contact and we are mistaking it for religion.

I mostly agree with you except with your estimate how advanced they may be. Recently a Galaxy was discovered that is 12.3 Billion years old, when you consider that the Universe is approximately only 13.5 Billion years old and our Solar System is only approximately 4.5 Billion Years old our planet is actually very young in the grand scheme of things. In reality with all this considered there could be Alien Species 1 Billion years or even more older than us. 

Mankind really needs to get off this kick that we are special in the Universe because when you consider the vastness of our Universe anyone who believes we are the most intelligent race needs to stop basing their thoughts on biblical teaching. Life is our there, just because we not meet those life forms yet doesn't mean anything. Maybe they don't even consider us intelligent enough to contact yet, there are to many possibilities to consider, but Allen life in many forms exists and I seriously doubt we are near the top of that list.

Thanks for your thoughts!:tu:

• Like 5

Incidentally... NASA stands for Never A Straight Answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Geez, that sounds like a conservative assessment to one like myself who thinks aliens advanced humans genetically a couple hundred thousand years ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Incidentally... NASA stands for Never A Straight Answer.

Honestly very very few Astrophysicists or Astrobiologists have an doubt that Alien Life exists in our Universe. I honestly believe that they never go into detail about it because the largest percentage of humanity could not handle the truth about the subject. Maybe its just me but if the world knew there was a intelligent species that is beyond our level of technology and intelligence, it would be a disaster. Religions would collapse, our entire system of faith for many many people would disappear over night. 

I hope one of two things happens, we are never contacted or when we are contacted we will be able to defend ourselves if it became necessary and right now if Aliens showed up, just by getting to Earth their technology would have to be far beyond our current wildest dreams.:yes:

Peace my friend:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not so sure I’d put much weight in a nasa scientist answer in this.

I mean::::: is that really their job? No it isn’t 

Edited by Nobu
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Geez, that sounds like a conservative assessment to one like myself who thinks aliens advanced humans genetically a couple hundred thousand years ago.

Sorry your not interested, I though it was a good read, but what do I know anyway!

Take care

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nobu said:

Whose job is it ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nobu said:

What do you think astrobiology is?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I think he is processing as--tro---bio---logy:wacko:

• Haha 1

Yes the alien life might exist, but unfortunately it's buried under too much ice on Enceladus and Europa.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I mostly agree with you except with your estimate how advanced they may be. Recently a Galaxy was discovered that is 12.3 Billion years old, when you consider that the Universe is approximately only 13.5 Billion years old and our Solar System is only approximately 4.5 Billion Years old our planet is actually very young in the grand scheme of things. In reality with all this considered there could be Alien Species 1 Billion years or even more older than us. 

Mankind really needs to get off this kick that we are special in the Universe because when you consider the vastness of our Universe anyone who believes we are the most intelligent race needs to stop basing their thoughts on biblical teaching. Life is our there, just because we not meet those life forms yet doesn't mean anything. Maybe they don't even consider us intelligent enough to contact yet, there are to many possibilities to consider, but Allen life in many forms exists and I seriously doubt we are near the top of that list.

Thanks for your thoughts!:tu:

Yes, 200 years was a number plucked from the sky about how much more advanced an alien species would need to be to know about all life in the galaxy. I dont think we will find aliens a billion years more advanced though.

While they may have been around a long, long, time, once a species master the fundamental building blocks of matter there is nothing further to learn. I`d say maybe there is only another 1000 years left of scientific development before we are developed as far as is possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yes, 200 years was a number plucked from the sky about how much more advanced an alien species would need to be to know about all life in the galaxy. I dont think we will find aliens a billion years more advanced though.

While they may have been around a long, long, time, once a species master the fundamental building blocks of matter there is nothing further to learn. I`d say maybe there is only another 1000 years left of scientific development before we are developed as far as is possible.

Why can't a species be a Billion years older than us? 

Do you really think the building blocks of matter is as far as knowledge can go, I think that's only the beginning a scratch on the surface. Your comments really and honestly make me see clearly how primitive we really are!:D

Edited by Manwon Lender

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

Why can't a species be a Billion years older than us? 

They can be, but that doesn`t mean there is a billion years of scientific and technological development left for us to go through.

I have said I think give it 1000 years and we will be as scientifically and technologically developed as is possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

They can be, but that doesn`t mean there is a billion years of scientific and technological development left for us to go through.

I have said I think give it 1000 years and we will be as scientifically and technologically developed as is possible.

Why? 

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Allen life in many forms exists and I seriously doubt we are near the top of that list.

apart from the extreme religious maybe; I don't think most people feel we are at the top of that list.

Anyway if this is the case; in what way is it wrong/ in what way would it hold us back/ how would this perception be a disadvantage?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

apart from the extreme religious maybe; I don't think most people feel we are at the top of that list.

Anyway if this is the case; in what way is it wrong/ in what way would it hold us back/ how would this perception be a disadvantage?

In my view their are very few who have not been contaminated by some form of religious programming. It may not be front and Center in our minds, and we may not even except that it is there but deep the real part of our mind ( what we refer to as the subconscious mind ) that truly controls our actions that seed was planted most likely when we were children. This didn't happen everyone some people can see beyond this programming. 

In reality we are a very young species living in a young Solar System on a young planet. Our level of knowledge ( Science, Physics, Biology, and the all rest ) is truly infantile compared to where we can go as a species if we survive. All the advances we have made occurred in a very small amount of time something like 1000 years with the greatest advances occurring in the last 300 years. We live in a Universe that is approximately 13.8 Billion Years old. That has Galaxies within it that were formed approximately 13.1 Billion Years ago, and that's the oldest discover to date. https://scitechdaily.com/astronomers-locate-the-oldest-and-most-distant-galaxy-in-the-universe-defines-the-very-boundary-of-the-observable-universe/

Most people can not or will not except the fact that we as a species are so young, I mean life on Earth occurred approximately 3.7 Billion years ago, on a planet that is only approximately 4.5 Billion years old itself. So basically approximately 800 Million Years from the very formation of our planet life began and evolved to where we are today. 

Like I said in my first post in this thread unfortunately for most they do not have the ability to dream and even theoretically look beyond our concept of time, knowledge and evolution. Everything is fixed and tied to what has occurred on this small rock, like this is somehow special and unique which in the grand scheme of things it is really not that significant at all except to our species. 

JIMO

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yes, 200 years was a number plucked from the sky about how much more advanced an alien species would need to be to know about all life in the galaxy. I don't think we will find aliens a billion years more advanced though.

I agree in principle, even if the timescales are unknowable. 

Already we can react chemicals together to create new ones.  Nanotechnology is on its way - we will soon be able to manipulate matter atom by atom.  It sounds awesome but it's really just copying nature.

The next step will be to design and manufacture useful elements using the assorted fundamental particles of nature.  (Yes, this requires large amounts of energy, but we can chuck up a few more wind turbines or maybe a Dyson Sphere or two.)  But why stop there?  In time we'll be able to manipulate quarks, and then whatever-quarks-are-made-of to build new matter with new properties.  And then - ?  Will there come a point where we can't explore any further?  I suspect so.

Meanwhile nanobots inside us will cure all ailments and injuries.  Later, implants will connect us to the Internet of Brains with access to the combined knowledge and ideas of everyone online.  We will replace most of our mortal bodies with durable parts.  But as AI offers identical (and better?) experiences to reality there will be less reason to spend time in material bodies.  We will retreat into a huge computer of code personalities, spending our entire existence in cyberspace and gradually forget about the real world.

The reason that alien species haven't found us is that they went through this evolution XX million years ago and they are now living happy, virtual lives in alien superservers.  They have forgotten about reality or they've decided that it sucks.  Either way, they're not looking for us.

5 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Yes the alien life might exist, but unfortunately it's buried under too much ice on Enceladus and Europa.

Not really accurate both those moons have molten cores, and do to gravitational pull from the planet the ice frequently cracks and liquid water does come to the surface. It addition Volcanic activity has also been spotted casing cracks in the ice and venting gases into the moons atmosphere. 

But, that is most likely microbial life or maybe some form of equatic life similar to the very similar to those discovered not to long ago living in the deep ocean where no light ever reaches, and consuming toxic chemicals that are being dispelled by Volcanic vents and surviving in temperatures no other known life forms on Earth could live in on the Ocean Floor. 

Below are creatures found living around deep sea Volcanic vents.

B0DC0CB7-9827-4F0A-AA7F-784BD795F73F-20934-000010DB33B3F7DD.jpg

88C2043F-7A30-4F14-B685-5EF734F0901F-20934-000010D9F3EB95F2.jpg

F73311DA-A997-42C9-96D4-A69796A986A1-20934-000010D703A8DB7F.jpg

5FD62A52-09DB-4C03-87BA-14696638ABCC-20934-000010D5DEBECC7A.jpg

E8329AB3-4044-42E2-BAD5-C7B822CF3EC2-20934-000010D542A57F0D.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

My Houston home isn’t too far from nasa. I rub elbows with their engineers and scientists at times. I don’t think they spend their days contemplating “do aliens exist Der der”

but you guys do you.

Edited by Nobu

4 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

I agree in principle, even if the timescales are unknowable. 

Already we can react chemicals together to create new ones.  Nanotechnology is on its way - we will soon be able to manipulate matter atom by atom.  It sounds awesome but it's really just copying nature.

The next step will be to design and manufacture useful elements using the assorted fundamental particles of nature.  (Yes, this requires large amounts of energy, but we can chuck up a few more wind turbines or maybe a Dyson Sphere or two.)  But why stop there?  In time we'll be able to manipulate quarks, and then whatever-quarks-are-made-of to build new matter with new properties.  And then - ?  Will there come a point where we can't explore any further?  I suspect so.

Meanwhile nanobots inside us will cure all ailments and injuries.  Later, implants will connect us to the Internet of Brains with access to the combined knowledge and ideas of everyone online.  We will replace most of our mortal bodies with durable parts.  But as AI offers identical (and better?) experiences to reality there will be less reason to spend time in material bodies.  We will retreat into a huge computer of code personalities, spending our entire existence in cyberspace and gradually forget about the real world.

The reason that alien species haven't found us is that they went through this evolution XX million years ago and they are now living happy, virtual lives in alien superservers.  They have forgotten about reality or they've decided that it sucks.  Either way, they're not looking for us.

Designer matter we haven`t gotten to yet but I really dont see it taking a million or billion years before we are constructing large objects designed down to its sub atomic particles. When we have computers doing the research later this century it might all come a lot faster than people expect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Maybe its just me but if the world knew there was a intelligent species that is beyond our level of technology and intelligence, it would be a disaster. Religions would collapse, our entire system of faith for many many people would disappear over night.

I think its you. The thing you are worried about has happened many times on Earth already. As humans discovered new lands, new people and new religions - wars and conquests happened not collapse. The Native Americans resisted European colonization for four hundred years - and they are STILL with us. In UFO mythology that fear is given as the reasons 'they' wouldn't tell us and other memes. Papageoarge fully believes in aliens and he seems to be fine. hundreds of Millions of people believe aliens exist and they too seem to be doing okay. I do , I don't think they are buzzing around in the atmosphere. I believe that alien most probably exist and if they do many would be fair in advance of us in technology.  I can assure you I haven't collapsed either.

• Like 2