Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Bear Climbs a Tree, Bites Hunter in Treestand

HandsomeGorilla

well, this is very unusual behavior for a black bear, about the only time black bears are defensive is if they're startled. they typically don't engage humans at all. it's really not clear if the bear was actually coming after him or if the bear was unaware of the hunter's presence. that had to be a predicament...you're up in a tree by yourself and a bear starts climbing up :lol:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/black-bear-bites-bowhunter/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

well, this is very unusual behavior for a black bear, about the only time black bears are defensive is if they're startled. they typically don't engage humans at all. it's really not clear if the bear was actually coming after him or if the bear was unaware of the hunter's presence. that had to be a predicament...you're up in a tree by yourself and a bear starts climbing up :lol:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/black-bear-bites-bowhunter/

Definitely an "Oh ****" moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

...you're up in a tree by yourself and a bear starts climbing up :lol:

Still better that than if a bigfoot starts to climb up. :w00t:

That'll teach him to go hunting without a sidearm.  I have an acquaintance that was attacked by a 400 lbs grizzly as he was cleaning a deer he had just shot.  He was wearing a .45 on his hip and successfully defended himself with it.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That'll teach him to go hunting without a sidearm.  I have an acquaintance that was attacked by a 400 lbs grizzly as he was cleaning a deer he had just shot.  He was wearing a .45 on his hip and successfully defended himself with it.

yep, never go hunting without a sidearm. folks that don't really do outdoors much would be surprised what you may run into. a friend of mine was charged by a huge coyote and his sidearm saved him. I saw it for myself, that was one big ass coyote. same guy also ran into a very aggressive bobcat. I've known a few who have run into wild boars in the wild, talk about a ruthless animal. friend of mine came across one whilst hunting; eviscerated his dog (painful to think about) and then came after him. first thing they try to do is knock you off your feet, and I'm pretty sure if they were successful, they may even try to eat you. and that's just here in SC, I'm not in grizzly, elk, moose, bison, mountain lion or grizzly territory. and don't carry anything less than a 357, I've always been warned. 9mm and 380 may be effective against humans, but not a bear... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I've always been warned. 9mm and 380 may be effective against humans, but not a bear... 

That depends.  If it hits their spine they'll go down but a flesh wound might just make them mad.

10 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

yep, never go hunting without a sidearm. folks that don't really do outdoors much would be surprised what you may run into. a friend of mine was charged by a huge coyote and his sidearm saved him. I saw it for myself, that was one big ass coyote. same guy also ran into a very aggressive bobcat. I've known a few who have run into wild boars in the wild, talk about a ruthless animal. friend of mine came across one whilst hunting; eviscerated his dog (painful to think about) and then came after him. first thing they try to do is knock you off your feet, and I'm pretty sure if they were successful, they may even try to eat you. and that's just here in SC, I'm not in grizzly, elk, moose, bison, mountain lion or grizzly territory. and don't carry anything less than a 357, I've always been warned. 9mm and 380 may be effective against humans, but not a bear... 

Some states don't allow the carrying of a sidearm while bow hunting.

10 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Some states don't allow the carrying of a sidearm while bow hunting.

that sucks... 

but if you're allowed, legally, DO carry while hunting!