Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coronavirus Waivers Ended: Patients Hospitalized for COVID-19 Now Could Pay Thousands of Dollars

Grim Reaper 6

As insurance companies start charging members for hospital-related costs again, analysis of 2020 data shows what they might owe. Americans who get seriously ill from COVID-19 in 2021 might have to pay thousands of dollars in bills from their hospitals, doctors, and ambulance companies, a new study suggests. Most health insurance companies voluntarily waived co-pays, deductibles, and other cost-sharing for hospitalized COVID-19 patients in 2020, but many major insurers lifted those waivers in early 2021. Tens of thousands of Americans have gotten severely ill and received hospital or emergency care in the surge of cases that has happened since early 2021.

Based on data from actual patients hospitalized for COVID-19 last year, the study suggests the lack of waivers could mean bills of about $3,800 for people with job-related or self-purchased private insurance, and $1,500 for people with Medicare Advantage plans.

https://scitechdaily.com/coronavirus-waivers-ended-patients-hospitalized-for-covid-19-now-could-pay-thousands-of-dollars/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

B#$@ch please, every time you get in a hospital you get 1000s dollars of bills, regardless of your insurance. and you keep getting them for a year after, each doc bills you several times from different "departments"  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aztek said:

B#$@ch please, every time you get in a hospital you get 1000s dollars of bills, regardless of your insurance. and you keep getting them for a year after, each doc bills you several times from different "departments"  

You pay for being sick? That's odd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, odas said:

You pay for being sick? That's odd.

Not odd, we don't have government funded healthcare.   Some of us don't have healthcare at all, and because of congresses version of what is now called "Obamacare" those that can't afford health insurance and can't get it from the state funded medicaid program have to pay the IRS a fee.

So if you hear any of your neighbors complaining about the health care in your country tell them to suck it up, at least they have healthcare.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, aztek said:

Would you like some Cheese with that Wine!:no:

Join the dam military and your problem is solved!:lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not odd, we don't have government funded healthcare.   Some of us don't have healthcare at all, and because of congresses version of what is now called "Obamacare" those that can't afford health insurance and can't get it from the state funded medicaid program have to pay the IRS a fee.

So if you hear any of your neighbors complaining about the health care in your country tell them to suck it up, at least they have healthcare.

I know. In Canada we don't have government funded healthcare either, contrary to popular belief. We pay thru our taxes and depending on the company we either don't pay at all for vision and dental or a combination of co- pay thru the company or at the reception. Thar said, our contribution is minimal to the security we have regarding healthcare. We don't even notice it. And as for surgeries and hospital stay, no extra payments on our side.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Join the dam military and your problem is solved!:lol:

why would i want to waste my life???  i'd doing awsome as it is.

2 hours ago, odas said:

I know. In Canada we don't have government funded healthcare either, contrary to popular belief. We pay thru our taxes and depending on the company we either don't pay at all for vision and dental or a combination of co- pay thru the company or at the reception. Thar said, our contribution is minimal to the security we have regarding healthcare. We don't even notice it. And as for surgeries and hospital stay, no extra payments on our side.

oh, please, i've been to Canada, i have friends there, your free healthcare sucks balls big time, to get a good doctor fast you need to go outside the joke of a system you got, and it costs money.

btw, if it is funded by your taxes, it IS gvmnt funded healthcare, regardless of your beliefs 

Edited by aztek

47 minutes ago, aztek said:

oh, please, i've been to Canada, i have friends there, your free healthcare sucks balls big time, to get a good doctor fast you need to go outside the joke of a system you got, and it costs money.

btw, if it is funded by your taxes, it IS gvmnt funded healthcare, regardless of your beliefs 

If it sucks balls or not I will leave it up to you.

USA has the best cancer treatment, that is about it comparing it to our healthcare. Everything else is on par except the costs to the individual with which you cannot compete.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, odas said:

If it sucks balls or not I will leave it up to you.

USA has the best cancer treatment, that is about it comparing it to our healthcare. Everything else is on par except the costs to the individual with which you cannot compete.

The U.S. has terrible health care for illness of any kind, probably the best for trauma.   Cancer treatment in the U.S. is dependent on the area you live in and whether you can afford to go to a Mayo clinic or the Baylor medical system.  And that depends on what insurance coverage you have.   My mother only had medicare and blue cross blue shield.  When she signed up for medicare she had to choose which hospital system she would use, not knowing about them she chose Presbyterian, which has very sub-standard cancer treatment, then 5 years later she got cancer.   She did not get good care for any of it.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, aztek said:

why would i want to waste my life???  i'd doing awsome as it is.

How can somebody doing so awesome and spending their life to good purpose be such a perpetual whiner?

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The U.S. has terrible health care for illness of any kind, probably the best for trauma.   Cancer treatment in the U.S. is dependent on the area you live in and whether you can afford to go to a Mayo clinic or the Baylor medical system.  And that depends on what insurance coverage you have.   My mother only had medicare and blue cross blue shield.  When she signed up for medicare she had to choose which hospital system she would use, not knowing about them she chose Presbyterian, which has very sub-standard cancer treatment, then 5 years later she got cancer.   She did not get good care for any of it.

Sorry to hear that. It was yesterday 36 years since my mom passed away from leukemia. Still, she fought with it for 10 years thanks to the german doctors who were able to keep her alive as long as it was possible. She died at age 39. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odas said:

Sorry to hear that. It was yesterday 36 years since my mom passed away from leukemia. Still, she fought with it for 10 years thanks to the german doctors who were able to keep her alive as long as it was possible. She died at age 39. 

I am sorry to hear about your mother, she was so young.   My mother had colon cancer and she would have survived longer if the doctors had not put her off for almost 2 years.   Then she fought it for about 3 years once they diagnosed her.   But the go to pain drugs in the U.S. are opiates, and they don't alleviate the pain, they just mess up the mind.   Anyway, she is no longer in pain.  It has been 7 years and she was 78.   She had a very busy life except for the last 5 or so.

• Sad 2