Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First U.S. passport with an "X" gender designation issued

Eldorado

The State Department announced today it has issued the first U.S. passport with an "X" gender designation, for people who say they are "non-binary, intersex, and gender non-conforming."

The goal is to "better serve all U.S. citizens, regardless of their gender identity."

Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced in June that the department would adopt an "X" marker in addition to "M" and "F."

"We look forward to offering this option to all routine passport applicants once we complete the required system and form updates in early 2022," spokesman Ned Price said in the news release.

https://cnsnews.com/blog/susan-jones/state-department-issues-first-passport-x-gender-marker-non-binary-intersex-and

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, Good Lord!

• Like 1

I am not an “x”, I am a “H” HOW DARE THE GOVERNMENT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ME IN THIS MANNER!!!

• Haha 2

Seems pretty stupid.   I guess on my next passport I will be an X.

• Like 1

I wonder if it will devalue American passports at foreign points of entry.  

if i was a customs agent, lets say in russia i'd check its other documents, and if i see gender other than x, i'd sent this meat suite for further interrogation\investigation.  there is no such gender as X for humans in nature, so the papers must be fake, no entry.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

if i was a custom agent, lets say in russia i'd check its other documents, and if i see gender other than x, i'd sent this meat suite for further interrogation\investigation.  there is no such gender as X for humans in nature, so the papers must be fake, no entry.

Passports with "X" gender can't be guaranteed as being accepted.  So as always has been the case it's up to the traveller to do their research before travelling.

Not sure why would red-line "gender other than x".

What's the purpose of a passport? Isn't it to make the person carrying it easy identifiable, with country of origin and physical traits?

I don't see how a personal perception of gender fit's into that?

If there is male/female confusion when looking at a person, then instead of "gender", wouldn't it be easier to write "born as"?

So instead of making a new option called X, they just change sex/gender to 'born as'.

• Thanks 1

Just now, zep73 said:

What's the purpose of a passport? Isn't it to make the person carrying it easy identifiable, with country of origin and physical traits?

I don't see how a personal perception of gender fit's into that?

If there is male/female confusion when looking at a person, then instead of "gender", wouldn't it be easier to write "born as"?

So instead of making a new option called X, they just change sex/gender to 'born as'.

Which nations issue passports that contain biometric information that is dependent on sex?

2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Which nations issue passports that contain biometric information that is dependent on sex?

All of them. My passport says "Sex: M"

7 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

What?  Don't you have a passport?  I thought all passports have gender on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

if i was a customs agent, lets say in russia i'd check its other documents, and if i see gender other than x, i'd sent this meat suite for further interrogation\investigation.  there is no such gender as X for humans in nature, so the papers must be fake, no entry.

I had that thought too.  But honestly I'm beyond caring about issues concerning trans people that don't effect others rights. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

That's not biometric information.

I'm apparently not the only one who's confused. Please elaborate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What?  Don't you have a passport?  I thought all passports have gender on them.

It's a letter.  It's not biometric like fingerprints, facial or iris recognition. That is being encoded on chips in passports these days.

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

It's a letter.  It's not biometric like fingerprints, facial or iris recognition. That is being encoded on chips in passports these days.

So why did you change the subject from gender to biometrics?

• Like 2

Just now, zep73 said:

I'm apparently not the only one who's confused. Please elaborate.

Biometrics are body measurements and calculations related to human characteristics. Biometric authentication is used in computer science as a form of identification and access control. It is also used to identify individuals in groups that are under surveillance. Wikipedia

Just now, Golden Duck said:

Biometrics are body measurements and calculations related to human characteristics. Biometric authentication is used in computer science as a form of identification and access control. It is also used to identify individuals in groups that are under surveillance. Wikipedia

Yes, but we're talking about basic passports in this thread. Letters on paper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

Yes, but we're talking about basic passports in this thread. Letters on paper.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about new passports issued in 2022.  Microchips in passports are more and more common in their usage today.  Biometric scanning is doing the heavy lifting for identity verification.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I'm pretty sure we're talking about new passports issued in 2022.  Microchips in passports are more and more common in their usage today.  Biometric scanning is doing the heavy lifting for identity verification.

The title of the thread is "First U.S. Passport with X gender designation issued".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The title of the thread is "First U.S. Passport with X gender designation issued".

And the OP says

"We look forward to offering this option to all routine passport applicants once we complete the required system and form updates in early 2022," 

A passport is a representation of a person's identity. Some of that data changes over time and you get a new passport.

A gender of X may, or may not, be accepted that's the traveller's issue.  Nations that don't accept X won't have issues down the red-line.

If anything X adds more information when Customs officers are more focused on behaviour and mood.

• Like 1

I went out today to a local place called Monster Pizza.   They play old monster movies to watch while you are there.   The Wolfman tonight.  I was happy to see the Mens' and Womans restrooms labled like this:

Creatures with male body parts

Creatures with female body parts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1