Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd feelings of nostalgia

ZOXS

I think some of what I’m about to say is normal but I also think some of it is a bit weird.

Sometimes I can hear a song or see a movie which I had never seen or heard before and feel nostalgic. I understand, that nostalgia is something that reminds you of an early time usually childhood.

However, sometimes I know what it is going to happen in the next few seconds of a song or know some things that may happen in a movie. I guess that could be summed up to a predictable pattern of movies and music but it feels a bit odd that not only am I nostalgic of it but I also feel like I know what may happen in some rare cases.

Sometimes I also get a tip of my tongue feeling about some of these songs and movies that I can’t explain. It’s like I know something related to it but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

There is a few examples of this mostly older stuff and in some cases it’s just a matter of me forgetting I saw it when I was younger but occasionally I know I hadn’t heard it before and yet I feel some strong emotional connection with it even though I was under the impression nostalgia is when you have a pre-existing emotional connection with it because of past experience with it. I’ve asked a few people and they agree that nostalgia is when you have that connection already. They don’t feel nostalgic about something they haven’t seen or heard unless  it has some kind of connection to their past.

I guess maybe it’s just my bad memory or I’m getting confused. My question does anyone else have this kind of feeling like there is something more to this nostalgia?

I was thinking it was parallel universes but who knows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't experienced what you describe but I have a feeling that, over time, all will become clear for you :).

• Like 2

The topic reminds me of a theme that Woody Allen explores in his film Midnight in Paris. He uses the term "Golden Age Thinking" to describe this kind of nostalgia for a time period that you only know through literature, art & music. As defined in the film, "Golden Age Thinking" is:

"the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one one's living in."

But, I'm not sure that would count as real nostalgia. It sounds more like a desire to connect with the past, particularly a past that you never could have experienced.

• Like 2

I think the feeling comes familiarity. Most songs and movies are basically similar. I don't enjoy movies because they all feel the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

I haven't experienced what you describe but I have a feeling that, over time, all will become clear for you :).

Well hopefully

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

The topic reminds me of a theme that Woody Allen explores in his film Midnight in Paris. He uses the term "Golden Age Thinking" to describe this kind of nostalgia for a time period that you only know through literature, art & music. As defined in the film, "Golden Age Thinking" is:

"the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one one's living in."

But, I'm not sure that would count as real nostalgia. It sounds more like a desire to connect with the past, particularly a past that you never could have experienced.

There is definitely that aspect in my feelings. I feel like that time would have been better for me to live in but at the same time I feel like I have lived it, I just can’t figure more about my feelings about that. I couldn’t tell you what I might have been doing then, it’s basically nostalgia but without the “Oh I remember what I was doing when I first heard this song in ‘09” but with still a feeling of relatability.

I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I think the feeling comes familiarity. Most songs and movies are basically similar. I don't enjoy movies because they all feel the same. 

It depends where you look. A lot of Hollywood movies are cookie-cut. If you go into foreign films, mind-**** films etc then you will get a wide variety of perspectives and thought-provoking ideas.

Sure, most movies have common traits but Death becomes her is on a whole different field than Endgame. Endgame follows a formula of profit while Death Becomes her is art.

Both good in their own right but if you want more variety you want art not formulated movies made for profit.

• Like 1

Question for you ZOXS. Do you sometimes have memories, or what seems like memories, of things you could not possibly know of?

That could explain it. On the other hand, the simple explanation is that you're just having an emotional response to stimuli that are somehow familiar.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 10:57 AM, ZOXS said:

My question does anyone else have this kind of feeling like there is something more to this nostalgia?

I think I experience the exact same thing quite often.

It can happen when I am for instance brushing my teeth: suddenly I 'see' some street or some building in front of my mind's eye, while at the same time experiencing a very strong feeling of loss, or also a strong feeling of what you call nostalgia.

And after that I always rack my brains to locate the scene/building. Most often it appears to be a scene from many decades ago.

But I can't tell you if there's more to it then mere nostalgia.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:56 AM, nilknarf said:

Question for you ZOXS. Do you sometimes have memories, or what seems like memories, of things you could not possibly know of?

That could explain it. On the other hand, the simple explanation is that you're just having an emotional response to stimuli that are somehow familiar.

I’ve had a few examples of that happening to me before. When I was much younger, I had a dream of a friend coming back to  school. He had moved away the year before. I didn’t tell anyone about it but then a few days later he came back.

Sometimes I also get déjà-vu when certain things happen but I don’t think that’s particularly abnormal.

I don’t have the best memory, I forget lots of event-based things and the order they happened so maybe that has something to do with it.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:19 PM, jethrofloyd said:

Great movie.

The mind never truly forgets any experience from the past 

The problem is  caused by the fact that we can no longer consciously recall most of our experiences,  but they are all there under the  surface  

I suspect that many of the things described in this thread  are examples of peoples' memories briefly breaking through into our conscious minds. Without surrounding contextual memories you can't place them.  They are just tiny "bites" of memory. 

The other thing is that dreams are stored in an identical way to actual experiences.  Often you will have a memory snatched from  a long ago dream.

You will know you never had the experience in real life, but may not be able to recall the dream, or work out where the memory came from. This can give you a sense of deja vu or nostalgia, which seems unconnected to anything in your past, but is not 

• Like 1