Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New research suggests cat and dog ‘moms’ and ‘dads’ really are parenting their pets

Still Waters

Have you noticed more cats riding in strollers lately? Or bumper stickers that read, “I love my granddogs”? You’re not imagining it. More people are investing serious time, money and attention in their pets.

It looks an awful lot like parenting, but of pets, not people.

Can this kind of caregiving toward animals really be considered parenting? Or is something else going on here?

The current moment is unique in human history. Many societies, including the U.S., are experiencing major changes in how people live, work and socialize. Fertility rates are low, and people have more flexibility in how they choose to live their lives. These factors can lead people to further their education and value defining oneself as an individual over family obligations. With basics taken care of, people can focus on higher order psychological needs like feelings of achievement and a sense of purpose.

The scene is set for people to actively choose to focus on pets instead of children.

https://theconversation.com/new-research-suggests-cat-and-dog-moms-and-dads-really-are-parenting-their-pets-heres-the-evolutionary-explanation-why-169600

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

It is animal abuse, no if or but...

~

• Thanks 3

My cat is my baby but I don't put clothes on him or walk him around in a stroller. He does get Christmas presents. Does that make me a weirdo?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

I suppose dressing up your favorite feline or canine is quite a bit better than eating them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I suppose dressing up your favorite feline or canine is quite a bit better than eating them.

I adopted an 11 year old standard poodle who loved to wear clothes.  I didn't know it until the neighbors invited him (and me) to a halloween party where they all dressed up their pets.  We all brought food and donated money to an animal rescue group.   I had put a kid's t-shirt on him with a rasta hat and a gold necklace. He was so proud.  For the next 5 years I think that halloween party was his favorite day.  One winter we had a severe snow storm and I had just shaved his hair off so I tried to find a doggie coat for him but couldn't find one that fit so I got him a size 10 boys hoodie.  It fit and he was happy to wear it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

Not sure why you equate alloparenting with abuse. Whilst I don't agree with dressing animals up (unless it's to protect them against the elements), taking especially good care of them is nowhere near abusive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I see no real problem with dressing a pet up, plus they make special clothes for colder weather. My chihuahua's have some so they can go outside in the winter to use the bathroom. 

• Like 6

I'm as guilty as any. My Betty has a full wardrobe and when I have meals like roast or chicken mignon, she gets her own serving complete with potatoes and gravy. She gets her own quarter roast chicken when I eat out.

She's people but. My soul mate even.

IMG_20210420_064724_compress48.thumb.jpg.5fc483d8d7c6b44223faf488a341b39e.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I see no real problem with dressing a pet up, plus they make special clothes for colder weather. My chihuahua's have some so they can go outside in the winter to use the bathroom. 

There's no real problem with dressing a pet up if they tolerate it, but not everyone's careful about it. Pets can overheat or become tangled in clothing. They could also choke. Clothing can also cause anxiety, especially in dogs. Clothing for protection is obviously essential, but great care should be taken when getting a pet adjusted to it. Some pets obviously can handle being clothed better than others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

I'm as guilty as any. My Betty has a full wardrobe and when I have meals like roast or chicken mignon, she gets her own serving complete with potatoes and gravy. She gets her own quarter roast chicken when I eat out.

She's people but. My soul mate even.

IMG_20210420_064724_compress48.thumb.jpg.5fc483d8d7c6b44223faf488a341b39e.jpg

I want Betty. She's adorable. You must get her more diamonds.

My Emma Jane loves lobster, and I mean LOVES it. The minute she catches a whiff of it, she goes into a maniacal frenzy. I haven't bought outfits for her, but she has her own playroom especially designed for her. She's a spoiled, standoffish brat, and living proof that kittens are jerks, but I love her regardless.

• Like 4

My guy has his furniture in every room of the apartment. He has a 4 tier cat tree in the living room and a raised tube in the bedroom, but he usually sleeps with me. He has his own kitchen cabinet that's full of cases of his wet food and bags of dry food. There's also his treats and catnip and other assorted things. I have 10 ft high windows and my windowsills are really wide. He has his blanket in his favorite corner behind the fig tree where he lays and watches out the window or sleeps in the sun. He's strictly indoor and doesn't ever try to go out the door. He also shies away from other people. He's well established in his home. He sadly won't eat human food, but that's ok. I still offer it but he refuses.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I want Betty. She's adorable. You must get her more diamonds.

Sorry, you can't have her, she's my soulmate :)

She's about 13 these days but holds her age well. The eternal puppy. Her personality matches her looks. Just beautiful. 

She usually gets a bit of bling and a new collar for Christmas. Some say I spoil her. I tell them yes, but not enough :lol:

My Emma Jane loves lobster, and I mean LOVES it. The minute she catches a whiff of it, she goes into a maniacal frenzy. I haven't bought outfits for her, but she has her own playroom especially designed for her. She's a spoiled, standoffish brat, and living proof that kittens are jerks, but I love her regardless.

Cool name :)

They only have one to two decades with us. Spoiling is required I reckon. 

McDonald's is not bad too. I go through the drive through and get a coffee, and she gets a cheeseburger patty. They sell them without the bun :tu: Betty isn't great with seafood, doesn't seem to agree with her. The odd prawn is about it. 

LOL Betty is very affectionate. I look forward to seeing her after work.

• Like 3

When I had my cat I never once thought about addressing her she hated collars so there was no way she would have accepted clothes.  I do find it rather strange that people are now treating animals like humans.  I get dressing pets to protect against the elements but not just for the sake of dressing them.  I got my cat because I wanted a cat not a child.  But each to their own.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

When I had my cat I never once thought about addressing her she hated collars so there was no way she would have accepted clothes.  I do find it rather strange that people are now treating animals like humans.  I get dressing pets to protect against the elements but not just for the sake of dressing them.  I got my cat because I wanted a cat not a child.  But each to their own.

Actually most of Betty's clothes are fit for purpose. She has jackets for winters, parka for cold outdoors wet days and tee shirts to keep the sun at bay in summer. 

This is her, (and my) favourite jacket.

Roast beef and mashed potatoes night :)

IMG_20210805_212716_compress65.thumb.jpg.158a07e30ffe9a492d95765425af1d10.jpg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Actually most of Betty's clothes are fit for purpose. She has jackets for winters, parka for cold outdoors wet days and tee shirts to keep the sun at bay in summer. 

That's cool, I am curious though how does she indicate that is her favourite?  Does she bring it to you?  Get excited when she sees it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

That's cool, I am curious though how does she indicate that is her favourite?  Does she bring it to you?  Get excited when she sees it?

She gets excited, and if I'm not home and she gets chilly, she will pick it out and lie on it. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Betty is adorable and I have to say, I love your floor. That's a beautiful design.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, susieice said:

Betty is adorable and I have to say, I love your floor. That's a beautiful design.

I've got to show this post to my flatmate, it's his place, I rent a room from him. He hates them lol. An Italian family built the house a very long time ago and they are the original tiles.

I like them too :) I agree with you. Great for Betty. Easier to clean than carpet for whoopsies :lol:

• Like 1