Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of nature in your life

LightAngel

1 hour ago, LightAngel said:

I never feel I waste my time when I spend my time in nature, and natural nature will always win over technological nature, in my opinion.

Looking at nature documentaries isn't bad either, and there are some beautiful free documentaries. 

I just enjoyed this:

"Wild Journey - Chile: Country of Contrasts"

If you spend time in nature and feel safe, then it's the perfect antidote against stress, etc.

So, share your thoughts about how you feel about spending time in nature and what it does to you psychologically.

4jL0.gif

If you have some exciting/scary stories to tell, then please do (maybe you met a lion once) :w00t:

Or maybe you have a sweet story to share about how you saved an animal from starvation.

The point of this topic is to share the importance of nature in your life. :cat:

Cool thread but your video is dead, they will not allow it to be shown in Korea!

Thanks.:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LightAngel said:

the importance of nature in your life. :cat:

Thanks LightAngel I agree  its something that people in this hectic crazy world need to understand more. Humans have always faced stress in one form or another and the benfits from nature helping to alleviate the condition is proven.

https://time.com/5259602/japanese-forest-bathing/

This concept is a reminder that a simple walk through the woods can be a helpful guide in combating anxiety and stress. Humans are a part of nature yet detached. Reconnecting with it brings us back to our true selves and heals us in ways other methods can't 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, khol said:

Thanks LightAngel I agree  its something that people in this hectic crazy world need to understand more. Humans have always faced stress in one form or another and the benfits from nature helping to alleviate the condition is proven.

This concept is a reminder that a simple walk through the woods can be a helpful guide in combating anxiety and stress. Humans are a part of nature yet detached. Reconnecting with it brings us back to our true selves and heals us in ways other methods can't 

...that makes me think of City people.  I marvel when I see big cities ..with narrow canyon like streets going through towering cliffs of buildings.!    A man-made landscape with areas of little sunlight! . . I feel like I'm on an alien planet !   :P   I've always lived in the 'country'.     Now, I LOVE our winters camping in the desert.  Peace and Quiet .  :) and SUNLIGHT .   and our own shade (the van)  ..or a rare tree here and there.  It's very peaceful just watching the day go by ..doing whatever it feels like doing.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow!   Wistman,   Your place sounds absolutely Wonderfull .    (I can relate, we have 10 mostly wooded acres..and a small house.. We've seen bears.. Lot's of wildlife...but , sadly, the woods are much 'quieter..and emptier now, than they used to be)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It’s good to hear these stories of people’s acreages and their descriptions of the wildlife that visit. I’ve been on my acreage for 23 years now. It’s been fun learning how wild animals behave, and how to attract various types of birds. I’ve photographed four different types of woodpeckers, and pheasants, turkeys, a red-tailed hawk, orioles, vultures, skunks, groundhogs, and deer. I befriended a doe last summer, and she later introduced me to her fawn. I could sit on my back steps and talk to them as they cleaned up the leftover birdseed. In the summertime I sleep with the windows open, and I’m often awakened by the sounds of foxes, owls, howling coyotes, and fighting bobcats. It’s a wonderful life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, simplybill said:

It’s good to hear these stories of people’s acreages and their descriptions of the wildlife that visit. I’ve been on my acreage for 23 years now. It’s been fun learning how wild animals behave, and how to attract various types of birds. I’ve photographed four different types of woodpeckers, and pheasants, turkeys, a red-tailed hawk, orioles, vultures, skunks, groundhogs, and deer. I befriended a doe last summer, and she later introduced me to her fawn. I could sit on my back steps and talk to them as they cleaned up the leftover birdseed. In the summertime I sleep with the windows open, and I’m often awakened by the sounds of foxes, owls, howling coyotes, and fighting bobcats. It’s a wonderful life.

I love that many of the members here love nature and enjoy it without destroying its beauty and balance.

I think many of us would love to see your photos, but I understand if you want to keep them private.

I once had (the biggest raven I have ever seen) follow me around in a park. :lol:

I got a little creeped out because he was huge, and he looked me straight in the eyes, and when I stopped walking, he also stopped - it went on for over an hour. It was hilarious. 

Ravens are very intelligent creatures, but I love all animals, no matter how silly they are. :P

• Like 7

On 10/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, khol said:

Yes, it's about engaging the senses. :)

92cdfc9bdebc53a747331999b6933734.gif

• Like 7

4 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I love that many of the members here love nature and enjoy it without destroying its beauty and balance.

I think many of us would love to see your photos, but I understand if you want to keep them private.

I once had (the biggest raven I have ever seen) follow me around in a park. :lol:

I got a little creeped out because he was huge, and he looked me straight in the eyes, and when I stopped walking, he also stopped - it went on for over an hour. It was hilarious. 

Ravens are very intelligent creatures, but I love all animals, no matter how silly they are. :P

Ravens are probably my favorite bird. We don’t have them here in Iowa, but I’ve seen them in the Western states. I was in Arizona a few years ago and rented a car to go sightseeing with a coworker. We drove up Mt. Lemmon on a road that passes through seven unique biomes as it gains in elevation. There are different trees and other flora every few thousand feet as you drive up the mountainside. At the summit we stopped at a restaurant in a tiny village, and a huge raven flew in and perched on the wooden fence that borders the parking lot. I stood about two feet away as it waited for me to hand it some food, but alas, I didn’t have any snacks with me and it soon flew away. I was so taken by the moment that I didn’t even think about getting a photo. It would’ve been a great photo with the mountains and the pine trees in the background.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I’m not a professional photographer, but my Facebook friends (especially those that live in the city) seem to enjoy my wildlife photos and the landscape photos of the rolling hills and the farm fields in this part of Iowa. 
I’ll try to post some photos here, if I can figure out how to do that. :)

• Like 5

From a Facebook post three years ago:

The autumn weather is moving in. I awoke at 3:30 AM with a cold wind blowing through my open bedroom window. Had to pull my blanket up off the floor and get rearranged.

It's that time of year when the farm animals and the wildlife are separated from their babies. During the day the neighbor's cows were crying for their missing calves, but for most farm animals food is more interesting than family and I suppose the thick, green grass from the recent rains drew their attention away from the sudden disappearance of their offspring. They quieted down after a few hours. 

Fox families split up this time of year as the young kits get older and begin to fight amongst themselves. A young fox was crying out all night long, and woke me up a few times. They make a sound almost like a human infant crying for attention. When I first moved to my acreage and heard that lonesome sound, I grabbed a flashlight and ran out to the pasture thinking someone must have abandoned their baby.  

I was awakened again by the loud hooting of a barn owl. They sit on the roof of the corn crib, scanning the countryside for mice, rabbits, and feral cats. I've seen owls the size of children perched up there, silhouetted against the moonlight. It's kind of eerie. 

And then, not too far from my house, a lone coyote began howling. Coyotes often hunt alone, though in some areas they've begun interbreeding with domestic dogs and now hunt in packs. I always keep a wary eye open when I'm outside after dark.

I'm going to miss all the animal sounds when winter arrives and I have to close the windows. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 6:29 PM, simplybill said:

I’ll try to post some photos here, if I can figure out how to do that. :)

I guess you couldn't post them.

So, I will post this instead:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I guess you couldn't post them

I tried, but nothing happened. I think I may have it figured out though: my WiFi is very slow here, and the website probably has a ‘timed out’ limit. I’ll try again tomorrow when I’m in the city. 

Edited by simplybill

Shinrin-Yoku is the Japanese concept of 'Forest Bathing'.

Time spent walking in the woods (or any natural setting) bathes the spirit and mind.  It opens the senses, relieves stress and recharges and settles emotions.

I've been forest bathing since childhood... used to take regular solo camping trips as well.  Get off trail and not see another person for days and sometimes a week at a time, not speaking, abiding simply in raw presence.  Miraculous benefits. 

• Like 4

image.thumb.jpeg.199d67f1e9f7d8dd6cb164cdb67847f2.jpeg

Spoiler

One of my raccoon buddies in west central Iowa. 

@LightAngel It worked! I’ll post a few more photos later in the thread. 

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 7

image.jpeg.8680a4a4cf3197f514b084fecdc868c7.jpegThe photos look a little different when they’re resized.

These guys were raiding the sunflower seeds and corn that I put out for the birds. They used to live in a hollow tree in my yard. 

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 8

On 11/21/2021 at 11:35 PM, simplybill said:

image.thumb.jpeg.199d67f1e9f7d8dd6cb164cdb67847f2.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

One of my raccoon buddies in west central Iowa. 

@LightAngel It worked! I’ll post a few more photos later in the thread. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:53 PM, simplybill said:

image.jpeg.8680a4a4cf3197f514b084fecdc868c7.jpegThe photos look a little different when they’re resized.

These guys were raiding the sunflower seeds and corn that I put out for the birds. They used to live in a hollow tree in my yard. 

Gorgeous photos.  

Your photos are better than most professional photographers. :tu:

When a picture is good then it's good no matter who took it! Don't believe all the hype and snobbery - it's all nonsense. 

Your photos are heart touching, and that's the best photos we can ever experience in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, quiXilver said:

I've been forest bathing since childhood... used to take regular solo camping trips as well.  Get off trail and not see another person for days and sometimes a week at a time, not speaking, abiding simply in raw presence.  Miraculous benefits. 

In "silence" you will meet your true self - humor always help when that time comes. 

I have a lot of laugh attacks. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's amazing how much energy is expended in talking and how much energy gathers in extended silence.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, simplybill said:

image.jpeg.0e7bbd4cda065b852ac6c9050468e451.jpeg
A mama Bluebird with two of her fledglings. I watched during Spring, Summer and Fall as Mom and Dad raised two separate broods in this nesting box. 

Good Grief! Could they be any cuter?! :D

• Like 5

12 hours ago, simplybill said:

image.jpeg.0e7bbd4cda065b852ac6c9050468e451.jpeg
A mama Bluebird with two of her fledglings. I watched during Spring, Summer and Fall as Mom and Dad raised two separate broods in this nesting box. 

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Good Grief! Could they be any cuter?! :D

I second that! :wub:

• Like 4