Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of nature in your life


LightAngel

Recommended Posts

Spring will be here soon. :wub:

The animals become extra active, and it is very entertaining to observe. :P

 

 

"The Secret Garden - Springtime's Micro-Ecosystems - Full Nature Documentary"

 

 

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Another snowfall last night. I’m looking forward to Spring, but I’m going to miss the Winter Wonderland after a fresh snowfall. 

The old shed has survived a tornado and a derecho. Over the years it’s been slowly sinking into the ground, but I think that makes it more interesting.

Derecho:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

image.jpeg.193a9b951580d5395417358e97474cd0.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2023 at 7:08 PM, simplybill said:

Another snowfall last night. I’m looking forward to Spring, but I’m going to miss the Winter Wonderland after a fresh snowfall. 

The old shed has survived a tornado and a derecho. Over the years it’s been slowly sinking into the ground, but I think that makes it more interesting.

Derecho:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

image.jpeg.193a9b951580d5395417358e97474cd0.jpeg

 

Yup, every season has its own charm.

We got lots of snow this week, and we had some of these very beautiful days with fresh snow and blue skies.

It was so freaking beautiful. :P

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are not many tigers left in Thailand (only about 170).

So videos like these are few and far between, but they give me some hope. ;)

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It was a beautiful Spring day here on the Great Plains of the Midwest, so I headed out to the lake for a 5-mile hike (8-kilometers).

The weather was perfect: sunny, with a light breeze, and 54 degrees (12.2 degrees Celsius).

I came across a small herd of deer hiding in the trees, about 30 feet from me (about 9 meters). They politely posed for photographs. 
 

image.jpeg.f59ddb0a9da40f13b3770fcd26d9ec39.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.b6fcaa134af87826e10ec144366a637b.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.915ef7ebaf735b70975e31049c6ace0d.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2023 at 4:16 AM, LightAngel said:

There are not many tigers left in Thailand (only about 170).

So videos like these are few and far between, but they give me some hope. ;)

 

 

 

 

That’s awesome. The birdsongs and the sound of rushing water makes you feel like you’re right there in the jungle with the tigers. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, simplybill said:

That’s awesome. The birdsongs and the sound of rushing water makes you feel like you’re right there in the jungle with the tigers. 

 

Indeed, nature sounds are extremely calming.

It would also be wonderful to be invisible for a few days in the jungle. :D

Just to study all the creatures there without stressing them at all! :P

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The Red-Winged Blackbirds have migrated back to Iowa. Four of them were sitting in the mulberry trees alongside the pond in my hayfield. They don’t get too nervous about me standing there taking photos, maybe because they recognize me as the nice man who feeds them sunflower seeds every morning. :Dimage.thumb.jpeg.9c3488ea7b498466efbc9dc9fa9e4dac.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, simplybill said:

The Red-Winged Blackbirds have migrated back to Iowa. Four of them were sitting in the mulberry trees alongside the pond in my hayfield. They don’t get too nervous about me standing there taking photos, maybe because they recognize me as the nice man who feeds them sunflower seeds every morning. :Dimage.thumb.jpeg.9c3488ea7b498466efbc9dc9fa9e4dac.jpeg

 

Thank you for sharing this beautiful picture.

Birds always recognize people who are good to them. ;)

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went back to Lake Anita today, and this time I remembered to bring my good camera.

It’s a good thing I did, because the Tree Swallows are back. It was amazing to watch them spinning around in the air!

 

image.jpeg.8beb913b3f882e4250b936eef2d2190d.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.1ddf2928365d62ad95df716e59e27b13.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.38ea269516d8554e1519777444000833.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.c372740e8a0d8bca50f51f0231bdd429.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2023 at 3:21 AM, simplybill said:

I went back to Lake Anita today, and this time I remembered to bring my good camera.

It’s a good thing I did, because the Tree Swallows are back. It was amazing to watch them spinning around in the air!

 

image.jpeg.8beb913b3f882e4250b936eef2d2190d.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.1ddf2928365d62ad95df716e59e27b13.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.38ea269516d8554e1519777444000833.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.c372740e8a0d8bca50f51f0231bdd429.jpeg

 

 

These beauties should remind us all to spread our wings...

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great article about exercising outdoors.
I’ve learned also that walking outdoors while listening to the sounds of nature is much better than listening to music with headphones or ear buds. The sound of the wind blowing through the leaves in the trees is like listening to a natural orchestra, as the leaves of each type of tree make a different sound. Cottonwoods and aspens are my favorites. They bring back memories of my childhood, and as an adult going on afternoon hikes in the mountains that were as restful and calming as a weeklong vacation.

”The effects can extend beyond brief improvements in concentration, other research shows, to upping motivation and making exercise feel less daunting. In a study published last year from China; young, inactive people with obesity who started walking in a park or gym on alternate days reported feeling considerably less stress and enjoying exercise more when they walked outside.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/why-an-outdoor-workout-is-better-for-you-than-indoors/ar-AA19L9lV

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2023 at 4:47 PM, simplybill said:


I’ve learned also that walking outdoors while listening to the sounds of nature is much better than listening to music with headphones or ear buds. The sound of the wind blowing through the leaves in the trees is like listening to a natural orchestra, as the leaves of each type of tree make a different sound. Cottonwoods and aspens are my favorites. They bring back memories of my childhood, and as an adult going on afternoon hikes in the mountains that were as restful and calming as a weeklong vacation.

 

 

 

I understand what you mean, and I love how you described it. :)

I am grateful that I had a childhood without phones, etc.

Almost every day I was out playing and using my imagination. It was not only healthy for our bodies, but also for our minds - I believe my body is strong because of all the outdoor playing I did as a child - I think it gave my body a good start so to speak. Even if it has nothing to do with it and it's all down to healthy genes, then it was lots of fun to play outside.

And because of all that exercise then we could also eat candy every day if we wanted to. :D

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A pair of geese monitoring the hayfield. They may have a clutch of eggs hidden somewhere nearby. 
Last night they were on the roof right above my bedroom. They’re heavy birds, and they make a lot of noise when they’re stomping around up there!

 

image.jpeg.efa61f41daa6d5def37c284cee701a3a.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Springtide

No photo description available.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

005.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

y4ms4FR_oR69Yr7H3o45ehbbeUgb_W36cIZStZ5AVnfR9Swew04Baqy94KcSeJU2cWh2KQT3Es2bmWUPLFEV5aXRU__WVfDil5owfIGFEhAmf97w9Rxb8sP3wzcJ9zX7FDmnxzUTWxRGPexP3HyWJ3j2YVljt_52nPax7oneyduvisv5vAyYI4Qh5xuoaaXRO1rZ_JUhNvon-RkOjHFZu5GXDDdKJSFbO-_ijGBJzSk2lU?encodeFailures=1&width=1330&height=998

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

It was a beautiful day to be outdoors on the Iowa prairie. I trimmed some trees, pulled some weeds, and mowed a part of the hayfield. The sunset was a perfect end to the day.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.b760d7d0b4f7dfbb80e9fd0fcd8d751c.jpeg

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I trimmed my Wild Plum tree two days ago. I saved one sprig to put in a cup of water in hopes of it growing roots. Maybe 10 years from now I’ll have an entire orchard of plum trees :). Overnight, the blossoms opened up. It gives a nice cheery look to my kitchen window.


image.thumb.jpeg.faf68fcd374318ac9f0cf7194b6773dd.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2023 at 7:07 PM, simplybill said:

I trimmed my Wild Plum tree two days ago. I saved one sprig to put in a cup of water in hopes of it growing roots. Maybe 10 years from now I’ll have an entire orchard of plum trees :). Overnight, the blossoms opened up. It gives a nice cheery look to my kitchen window.


image.thumb.jpeg.faf68fcd374318ac9f0cf7194b6773dd.jpeg

 

Our garden is starting to blossom so I feel high. 

High on life. :D

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just saw Chimp Empire, and it was amazing.

My husband said it was one of the best documentaries he had ever seen.

I tend to agree - though I have to admit that I always prefer documentaries about cats! :lol:

The beauty of this is how they capture the souls of these creatures - you see them in peaceful moments thinking and feeling.

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Baltimore Orioles and the Eastern Goldfinches are back in Iowa for the summer. Their bright colors look like flying flowers sailing around in the air.

image.thumb.jpeg.065027f9cce31cd5c42e32e98bbb1a34.jpeg

 

The female Goldfinches aren’t quite as bright as the males, but this one knows how to pose for a photo!

 

image.thumb.jpeg.708f1b42af6f62ce90278ff300a80c92.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2023 at 5:39 PM, simplybill said:

The Baltimore Orioles and the Eastern Goldfinches are back in Iowa for the summer. Their bright colors look like flying flowers sailing around in the air.

image.thumb.jpeg.065027f9cce31cd5c42e32e98bbb1a34.jpeg

 

The female Goldfinches aren’t quite as bright as the males, but this one knows how to pose for a photo!

 

image.thumb.jpeg.708f1b42af6f62ce90278ff300a80c92.jpeg

 

 

Looking at these sweetie pies makes me ponder about the state of our planet. 

Imagine this was the last spring we would ever experience on this planet - it is so heartbreaking to think about (I don't think this will be our last spring, I am just making a point here).

I don't know anybody who supports the war and I know people from all over the world - the Russians I know don't want it - the Ukrainians I know don't want it - nobody wants this stupid war except the psychopaths!

They only have power because they have succeeded in putting people up against each other!

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a fantastic talk, and I highly recommend listening to it.

I love how he explains things in a very simple way - and it is only 10 minutes long.

 

"Dr. Strayer acknowledges that much of the technology that has been created to promote convenience can actually have an adverse effect and overload our brain mechanisms, resulting in distractions. As a human factors psychologist, Dr. Strayer observes what he sees in the real world, links it to theory, develops hypotheses and then tests those hypotheses in his lab. What he has found has helped save lives."

Restore your brain with nature:

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2023 at 7:35 AM, LightAngel said:

This is a fantastic talk, and I highly recommend listening to it.

I love how he explains things in a very simple way - and it is only 10 minutes long.

 

"Dr. Strayer acknowledges that much of the technology that has been created to promote convenience can actually have an adverse effect and overload our brain mechanisms, resulting in distractions. As a human factors psychologist, Dr. Strayer observes what he sees in the real world, links it to theory, develops hypotheses and then tests those hypotheses in his lab. What he has found has helped save lives."

Restore your brain with nature:

 

 

I agree, this is where I work. I am on 5 acres, in a Mediterranean castle with a panoramic ocean/city view of beauty that never gets old and is conducive to well being. A picture really doesn’t do this place justice, one has to experience it. 

51869208-7F05-4933-B60E-E3B7BFCEDB27.jpeg

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.