Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of nature in your life

LightAngel

I’m currently on a road trip through the American states of South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. I’m taking the back roads as much as possible, and so far it’s been amazing.

I stopped to see Devils Tower in Wyoming, and just had to get a few photos of the prairie dog colony. They’re fun to watch!

image.thumb.jpeg.e1b5a999c46d5d1aada8e597dacfe670.jpeg

image.jpeg.f6b1712d7dfcc780e2897f987dc78700.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c9177f69d5b1f013be18648196b9828f.jpeg

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, simplybill said:

I’m currently on a road trip through the American states of South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. I’m taking the back roads as much as possible, and so far it’s been amazing.

I stopped to see Devils Tower in Wyoming, and just had to get a few photos of the prairie dog colony. They’re fun to watch!

image.thumb.jpeg.e1b5a999c46d5d1aada8e597dacfe670.jpeg

image.jpeg.f6b1712d7dfcc780e2897f987dc78700.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c9177f69d5b1f013be18648196b9828f.jpeg

What stunning pictures - it is wonderful to visit this topic because it always fills me with hope and positivity. 

By the way, I wonder about something - can't it be dangerous sometimes when you are on these road trips?

You need to have a lot of knowledge for an enjoyable and safe trip. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 9:57 PM, LightAngel said:

By the way, I wonder about something - can't it be dangerous sometimes when you are on these road trips?

@LightAngel - Looking back, I remember only a couple of times that I’ve had trouble while on a road trip, and that was way back in 1973, when a friend and I hitchhiked from Iowa to California. We had no problems getting rides until we arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah, where we stood for hours on a highway entrance ramp until a police officer threatened us with jail and we reluctantly went to the Greyhound Bus station and bought bus tickets to Los Angeles. 

Somewhere in California a young man boarded the bus and struck up a conversation with us. He said he knew of a secluded beach by the ocean where we could spend the night without fear of being harassed by the police. After arriving in Los Angeles, the three of us walked to the beach, unrolled our sleeping bags, and went to sleep.

The next morning I woke up just after sunrise. Our new friend had disappeared overnight, along with my backpack! Fortunately, I had slept in my tee-shirt and blue jeans, but everything else was gone.

After visiting with friends in California, we hitchhiked to Colorado to visit a couple of friends who lived in a small log cabin high up in the Rocky Mountains. We spent a glorious three days camping and hiking in the mountains. I think I could have stayed there forever, but I had to get back to my job in Iowa, so we hit the road again. A semi-truck driver gave us a ride all the way through Kansas and dropped us off on a two-lane highway in the middle of Missouri. 

It was late at night, and there was very little traffic, but finally around 10:00 PM a guy driving a beautiful jacked-up GTO pulled over and we hopped in. We knew we were in for an adventure when he told us he had just gotten out of prison and he got his car out of storage and was out on the road enjoying his freedom. So, with one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand holding a bottle of beer, he drove 120-mph on that dark, winding, two-lane blacktop in the middle of nowhere. What a ride that was! And 50 years later, my hitchhiking buddy and I still talk about it.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 4

My two favorite photos from Wyoming.

I’m often guilty of thinking of the people around me as just being a part of the everyday background of my ongoing life, but when I take the time to listen quietly to the stories of their lives, I’m surprised at just how unique and interesting one person can be. And every time, that leads me to seeing the landscape of life in a different way.

image.thumb.jpeg.55f16c0193d92b2b7efb2d2ee7b1b787.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.92a6214dc925302ee35b870d56ce20c6.jpeg

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 11:54 PM, simplybill said:

My two favorite photos from Wyoming.

I’m often guilty of thinking of the people around me as just being a part of the everyday background of my ongoing life, but when I take the time to listen quietly to the stories of their lives, I’m surprised at just how unique and interesting one person can be. And every time, that leads me to seeing the landscape of life in a different way.

image.thumb.jpeg.55f16c0193d92b2b7efb2d2ee7b1b787.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.92a6214dc925302ee35b870d56ce20c6.jpeg

Yup, everything is connected.

The more we listen to nature and each other - the more we learn. If you want to know people and have an authentic connection with them, then listening to them is always a good start. It's the same with nature, you learn so much just by listening and observing nature. :)

• Like 4

The Turkey Vultures are keeping an eye on me.

(Cloudy skies and a zoom lens cause the white background.)

image.jpeg.cde3ac232d2440be6934b6068482e6d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.df3d571f4619538fbbd1b556d2f23d97.jpeg

• Like 5

On 7/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, simplybill said:

The Turkey Vultures are keeping an eye on me.

(Cloudy skies and a zoom lens cause the white background.)

image.jpeg.cde3ac232d2440be6934b6068482e6d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.df3d571f4619538fbbd1b556d2f23d97.jpeg

Watch out! 

Or the cleanup crew might get you. :lol:

Vultures are very useful animals because they help remove toxins in the environment - that's why they call them nature's cleanup crew.

They can prevent the spread of infectious diseases when they consume carcasses - the acid in their stomachs is extremely strong.

They are vital for our environment and the ecosystem - and I also find them charming. 

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is interesting, super interesting! :w00t:

However, it also raises a lot of questions.

Did scientists just discover how to talk to animals?

• Like 1

100_0183.jpg.6e0a2c9ea56f55a51d768b51b60cbac7.jpg

• Like 8

I understand why most humans fear AI because AI is an extension of ourselves (our good and bad sides).

If AI is used to create more wars and hate then of course we need to destroy it (we should have destroyed that side of ourselves a long time ago).

If AI is used to create a better world for us and the other animals/nature then I support AI - however, it will never replace my own thoughts!

I look at AI the same way I look at my coffee machine - it is useful, but it is just a tool.

Anyway, I want to share these videos about Val and Sirga because it shows how much humanity can communicate with animals when we love and respect them. ❤️

Saving Sirga: Journey into the heart of a lion 1/6 

27 minutes ago, lightly said:

@simplybill    Thanks for this thread ..it’s a beautiful place. :)      

Hi @lightly -

It was actually @LightAngel that started the thread. I agree with you, it’s a beautiful place! 

• Thanks 2

On 7/23/2023 at 7:24 AM, LightAngel said:

This is interesting, super interesting! :w00t:

However, it also raises a lot of questions.

Did scientists just discover how to talk to animals?

Yes, that is interesting. The fruit bats are very talkative. 15,000 different vocalizations! 
I have a sister who participated in the sign language studies with primates. If I remember correctly, she got to meet Koko. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, simplybill said:

Yes, that is interesting. The fruit bats are very talkative. 15,000 different vocalizations! 
I have a sister who participated in the sign language studies with primates. If I remember correctly, she got to meet Koko. 

It must have been quite an experience for your sister to meet her. ;)

Koko loved her kitten, but she could be naughty because once she lied to her trainers and blamed her kitten for tearing a sink out of the wall. :D

This is such an adorable picture of them:

mqdefault.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

It must have been quite an experience for your sister to meet her. 

I texted my sister to double-check, and she told me it wasn’t her that worked with Koko, but it may have been a mutual friend of ours. I’ll text him tomorrow. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Koko loved her kitten, but she could be naughty because once she lied to her trainers and blamed her kitten for tearing a sink out of the wall. :D

That’s hilarious! :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, simplybill said:

That’s hilarious! :)

Indeed! :)

Koko had a wonderful sense of humor. Here she is laughing and it is truly heartwarming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s been very hot and humid here in Iowa, so I went to Lake Anita just after sunrise this morning for a walk in the cooler air. 
I had the trail all to myself. It was so peaceful, even the Canada Geese were peaceful! They let me get very close to them, which rarely happens. 
The wildflowers are in full bloom now. This one is called Prairie Coneflower.

image.thumb.jpeg.10199384afa8df9fa56df027680a24b4.jpeg

image.jpeg.24c49bf82f4aefba93b95bd1f32414dc.jpeg

image.jpeg.946232ba2e9240102037b2b1c0e35b94.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, simplybill said:

It’s been very hot and humid here in Iowa, so I went to Lake Anita just after sunrise this morning for a walk in the cooler air. 
I had the trail all to myself. It was so peaceful, even the Canada Geese were peaceful! They let me get very close to them, which rarely happens. 
The wildflowers are in full bloom now. This one is called Prairie Coneflower.

image.jpeg.24c49bf82f4aefba93b95bd1f32414dc.jpeg

image.jpeg.946232ba2e9240102037b2b1c0e35b94.jpeg

Great photos Bill, you're a luck guy to have such a beautiful nearby!!!!!

Hope you and your family are well!!!!:tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Great photos Bill, you're a luck guy to have such a beautiful nearby!!!!!

Hope you and your family are well!!!!:tu:

Good to have you back, @Grim Reaper 6!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

Good to have you back, @Grim Reaper 6!

Thanks, my friend!!!!!:tu:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, simplybill said:

It looks like a beautiful UFO - the aliens are extra creative right now. :D

They are watching you, you better show them your best dance. *giggles*

On a serious note, this is really a wonderful picture! 

• Thanks 1

Maybe they need to build a swimming pool for the animals! :D :wub:

Bear cools off in Southern California pool

• Like 2