Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of nature in your life

LightAngel

Went for a walk around Lake Anita very early this morning. The early morning light has a way of transforming the scenery we’ve grown accustomed to into works of art.

image.jpeg.0b54ea9c0b8514672cf95b0c9a5763e4.jpeg

image.jpeg.a4b6a2c9e36d89227020e48807055e46.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, simplybill said:

Went for a walk around Lake Anita very early this morning. The early morning light has a way of transforming the scenery we’ve grown accustomed to into works of art.

image.jpeg.0b54ea9c0b8514672cf95b0c9a5763e4.jpeg

image.jpeg.a4b6a2c9e36d89227020e48807055e46.jpeg

Beautiful, just like hearing the first bird starting its morning song. :wub:

• Like 3

Life in the country…

Well, I guess I can throw away my alarm clock. Another bat paid an early morning visit to my bedroom at 3:00 AM today. I don’t know why they choose my bedroom to fly figure-8s right above my head, but I’m thinking they’re similar to household pets that jump on your bed in the morning to get some attention. 

I got out of bed to begin my usual Emergency Bat Protocols, but it’s kinda funny because I no longer consider it an emergency. I’ve grown accustomed to them, and I’ve been trying to learn their habits. I think maybe they’re doing the same with me. 

The first thing I learned is that bats tire very easily - I had one that dropped to the floor three feet in front of me, spread out his wings, and appear to fall asleep! I felt honored that he trusted me enough to take a nap while I was right there beside him, so I let him rest for a few moments, and then we again resumed our dance.

There’s a small window in the upstairs hallway that completely opens up and gives me a target to aim for, after I close the bedroom doors and the door at the bottom of the stairs (older homes had doors that were closed in the wintertime to seal off the upper floor and save on the heating bill).

After making all the preparations, I’ll guide the bats toward the window with my pillow,  and they normally fly out and disappear into the night. But this particular bat flew out the window, and then made a U-turn and flew right back into the house!!

So we continued our dance until he was too tired to fly and he landed on one of stairs, buried his head in the corner, and fell asleep. I tried to gently nudge him awake, but he refused to budge.

So, I made coffee and headed out to Lake Anita for an early morning walk. It’s always so spectacular to arrive before the birds are awake. I heard the first songbirds at 5:43, followed by the mooing of the cows on the farm in the valley west of the lake at 5:45. At 6:00, a murder of crows began their raucous cawing to warn the other forest denizens that a strange man was in the neighborhood (I get that a lot).

After my walk, I drove to the YMCA for a very easy workout, as per doctor’s orders. On July 31st I dislocated two vertebrae in my lower back. The modern term is “Misaligned Vertebrae.” Well, these particular vertebrae just happened to align themselves on top of my Sciatic nerve, which led to a fascinating ten days of excruciating pain and sleep deprivation. 

Yesterday, the doctor gave me a couple of shots of lidocaine that thankfully relieved the pain. I asked about working out, and he said “With light weights only”. So, I did a few pull-ups and a couple of sets of arm curls on the arm curl machine and headed home to continue my dance with my new friend.

He had relocated to the curtain that I had removed from the window frame. This time I had the presence of mind to grab my iPhone for photos. I couldn’t dislodge the little guy from the curtain, so I just closed the window on the curtain rod and left it hanging outside. When I checked a few minutes later, he was gone.

Well, that’s been my day so far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, simplybill said:

He had relocated to the curtain that I had removed from the window frame. This time I had the presence of mind to grab my iPhone for photos. I couldn’t dislodge the little guy from the curtain, so I just closed the window on the curtain rod and left it hanging outside. When I checked a few minutes later, he was gone.

Well, that’s been my day so far.

image.jpeg

You know you are connected to nature and the animals and therefore you always treat them as you want to be treated.

You treat them with respect and love because you know we all are connected.

I love how gently you acted here - thank you.

You give me hope for humanity.

It is not always easy to help the creatures who enter our homes - but, I like humans who do their best to save them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:19 AM, LightAngel said:

Or maybe you have a sweet story to share about how you saved an animal from starvation.

Stopped a crow from killing a baby bunny once. They'll sometimes grab them from the nest and fly away. This one was trying to kill a bunny and you should have seen the poor little thing trying to crawl away, looking for a safe place. Took 'em up and brought him to a wildlife rescue center. Did throw off my schedule for a bit but was worth it....when I looked down and saw him trying to bury his cute little face into my hands (think he was looking for his mother's breasts). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Stopped a crow from killing a baby bunny once. They'll sometimes grab them from the nest and fly away. This one was trying to kill a bunny and you should have seen the poor little thing trying to crawl away, looking for a safe place. Took 'em up and brought him to a wildlife rescue center. Did throw off my schedule for a bit but was worth it....when I looked down and saw him trying to bury his cute little face into my hands (think he was looking for his mother's breasts). 

You didn't save a poor animal from starvation.  You probably took away a much needed meal for the Crow's offspring.  You don't really get life do you?

Let me explain it to you in simple terms.  Life kills to eat.  If life doesn't kill to eat, life dies...all of it.  

All  you did is save a rabbit from being a meal.  Why do you think the rabbits are there to begin with?  They are their as meals.  Plain and simple.  

So ask yourself this question...If you were all alone in the wilderness with your child...and you child was starving...would you catch a rabbit if you could and kill it and cook it and feed it to your child...or would you just let your child starve to death?

Edited by joc
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, joc said:

You didn't save a poor animal from starvation.  You probably took away a much needed meal for the Crow's offspring.  You don't really get life do you?

Let me explain it to you in simple terms.  Life kills to eat.  If life doesn't kill to eat, life dies...all of it.  

All  you did is save a rabbit from being a meal.  Why do you think the rabbits are there to begin with?  They are their as meals.  Plain and simple.  

So ask yourself this question...If you were all alone in the wilderness with your child...and you child was starving...would you catch a rabbit if you could and kill it and cook it and feed it to your child...or would you just let your child starve to death?

You just beat me to it, lol.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Stopped a crow from killing a baby bunny once.

Thanks mate, one more for us :tu:. Rabbits are introduced pests over here in Oz.

shady.JPG

Edited by openozy

9 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

I am sure you meant well, but please remember that animals have to eat to survive, so maybe the crow would starve that day because you took away its meal.

We have to be careful not to interfere too much with nature.

I understand where you are coming from because I always have to look away when I see animals hunt, but I also know that they have to do it to survive and therefore I accept it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I am sure you meant well, but please remember that animals have to eat to survive, so maybe the crow would starve that day because you took away its meal.

We have to be careful not to interfere too much with nature.

I understand where you are coming from because I always have to look away when I see animals hunt, but I also know that they have to do it to survive and therefore I accept it.

You are a beautiful angel full of light!  :wub:

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, joc said:

You are a beautiful angel full of light!  :wub:

You are not so bad yourself! :lol:

• Thanks 1

Regarding the Rabbit/Crow situation:

(This isn’t a rant directed toward any particular members. It’s just observations I’ve made over the years.)

The predator-prey link exists on a sliding emotional scale that’s very personal for most people. I had childhood friends that owned a pet rabbit that they played with in their backyard with as much affection as other people played with their pet dogs. In contrast, my family occasionally enjoyed a wonderful rabbit dinner after a day of hunting.

I would imagine that anyone who’s been around domesticated rabbits would feel as protective toward them as a dog owner would be if their pet dog was threatened by a bobcat while out on their twice-daily walk through the neighborhood.

Many of our relationships with animals are culture-based, also on a sliding scale. Western civilization treats dogs as a valuable part of society, whereas in some Eastern cultures dogs are treated as just another food animal. Here in the West, we react with shock and horror when we see photos from the annual Yulin “Lychee and Dog Meat” festival in China where over 10,000 dogs and cats are eaten during the 10-day event. In China, it’s no different than the BBQ tent at the County Fair.

On a personal level, people can become attached to all kinds of animals that are considered unworthy of respect by the general population. I’ve grown attached to bats, but my friends suggest that I use a book or a tennis racket to kill them when they find their way into my home. Jeesh…why on earth would I want to kill something that I find very entertaining?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

I’ve grown attached to bats, but my friends suggest that I use a book or a tennis racket to kill them when they find their way into my home. Jeesh…why on earth would I want to kill something that I find very entertaining?

Bats are one of the most commonly reported rabid animal in the United States. Bats are the leading cause of rabies deaths in people in the United States. If you find a bat in your home, try to capture it for testing. By testing the bat for rabies, you can find out if you need to be vaccinate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, joc said:

Bats are one of the most commonly reported rabid animal in the United States. Bats are the leading cause of rabies deaths in people in the United States. If you find a bat in your home, try to capture it for testing. By testing the bat for rabies, you can find out if you need to be vaccinate

Good advice. I hadn’t thought about capturing one. I have the local Emergency Room clinic’s phone number and address in my phone contacts in case I get bitten, but I’ll look into getting something like a butterfly net so maybe I can avoid needing rabies shots. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Good advice. I hadn’t thought about capturing one. I have the local Emergency Room clinic’s phone number and address in my phone contacts in case I get bitten, but I’ll look into getting something like a butterfly net so maybe I can avoid needing rabies shots. 

Once clinical signs of rabies appear, the disease is nearly always fatal, and treatment is typically supportive. Less than 20 cases of human survival from clinical rabies have been documented. Only a few survivors had no history of pre- or postexposure prophylaxis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A better plan might be to come up with a way to keep bats from getting into your house.  Like, hmmm, I don't know...not leaving unscreened windows open.

An ounce of prevention (you know) is worth a pound of cure.  :tu:

Edited by joc

thanks for the reminder @joc,     We often see bats at twilight in the desert..sometimes LOTS of them.. I guess we should be more careful.

I used to sometimes fish at night back home…and the bats would eat the mosquitos flying around me  :)    They never touched me…except maybe brush a hair or two.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lightly said:

thanks for the reminder @joc,     We often see bats at twilight in the desert..sometimes LOTS of them.. I guess we should be careful.

I used to sometimes fish at night back home…and the bats would eat the mosquitos flying around me  :)    They never touched me…except maybe brush a hair or two.

I just think it is important to weigh the realities of nature.  Some realities of nature are harsh.  

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 6:02 PM, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

I probably would have saved the baby bunny too.   The bunny was helpless…crows are smart, and most likely would have found another meal.  If not that day,,,the next?    

• Like 1

I almost didn’t go for a walk this morning after waking up at 2:30 AM, eating breakfast at 3:30 AM (tea and toast) and going back to bed and tossing and turning until 4:30 AM. 
But seriously, who can resist seeing all this beauty at the break of dawn?

image.jpeg.73b32f275c19770bd791231511ec87dd.jpeg

image.jpeg.badd087b1e606ca72e327f28919519ca.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.85a9d5c48c8c6eaaefa8b8f83eedc056.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fbc6cfa8d00e5a26bf26e7410d2c3e49.jpeg

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 12:10 AM, joc said:

That would depend on the time of year ?   Let me explain it to you in simple terms^_^..  they don’t have offspring to feed year round.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lightly said:

That would depend on the time of year ?   Let me explain it to you in simple terms^_^..  they don’t have offspring to feed year round.

Okay.  So she took away a much needed meal for the Crow itself.  The point is that life eats life.  Is it fair for someone else to take your food off your plate?  ...in the name of saving the life of your food??  Crows are not horrible creatures...they are incredibly smart and wise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

Okay.  So she took away a much needed meal for the Crow itself.  The point is that life eats life.  Is it fair for someone else to take your food off your plate?  ...in the name of saving the life of your food??  Crows are not horrible creatures...they are incredibly smart and wise.  

Yup, life eats life.   Nature isn’t fair, or unfair ..It’s just hungry.?   my food has stopped moving by the time it reaches my plate, so they might be too late to save it’s life?..  but,  point taken. :)     Maybe the crow should have pigged out on fresh road kill and let the baby bunny grow up and make dozens of other bunnies?   Crows are very smart…but a bit shortsighted at times I’d have to say.  :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lightly said:

Yup, life eats life.   Nature isn’t fair, or unfair ..It’s just hungry.?   my food has stopped moving by the time it reaches my plate, so they might be too late to save it’s life?..  but,  point taken. :)     Maybe the crow should have pigged out on fresh road kill and let the baby bunny grow up and make dozens of other bunnies?   Crows are very smart…but a bit shortsighted at times I’d have to say.  :P

Yeah, I know we already ordered steak and the waiter is about to bring it...but...what the hell...lets just go hit Mickey Ds down the road and get a Big Mac...:whistle:

There is even a company in Sweden that is training Crows to pick up cigarette butts...  

• Like 1