Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of nature in your life

LightAngel

No photo description available.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

No photo description available.

Hey, you can't come in my back yard and take pictures without permission!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2023 at 3:45 AM, simplybill said:

Many of our relationships with animals are culture-based, also on a sliding scale. Western civilization treats dogs as a valuable part of society, whereas in some Eastern cultures dogs are treated as just another food animal. Here in the West, we react with shock and horror when we see photos from the annual Yulin “Lychee and Dog Meat” festival in China where over 10,000 dogs and cats are eaten during the 10-day event. In China, it’s no different than the BBQ tent at the County Fair.

There is more to it than that. Dogs, as you know have been our allies for tens of thousands of years and helped us develop societies, apart from being our best mates, they are not pets such as rabbits. These people have no love or respect for any other living creatures at all or even their humane treatment at slaughter. To me they are human garbage.

When it comes to loyalty and devotion dogs are hard to beat…:D

Edited by Shadowsfall
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, openozy said:

There is more to it than that.

Yes, there is a lot more to it than that, and I personally would like to discuss that further, but maybe in a different forum such as ‘Philosophy and Psychology’ or ‘Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs’. There are vast cultural differences that determine a society’s humane/inhumane treatment of animals, and no society can claim to be perfect in their treatment of animals. 

A friend who’s an avid equestrian posted this on her Facebook page this morning, and I think it relates well to some of the comments here about cultural  differences.. (By the way, if you want to learn more about Temple Grandin, I highly recommend the book ‘An Anthropologist on Mars’ by neurologist Oliver Sacks, or the movie ‘Temple Grandin’.)

A comment from my Facebook friend:

”Horse slaughter wasn't stopped when it was outlawed in the U.S., it just made the whole process more barbaric as they now must endure a horrific trip to another country to be killed and processed. The allegations made in the article are common knowledge among horse people, it's not new information. Unfortunately it's a harsh reality of life that people will always get rid of horses by sending them to slaughter, in my opinion it would be a huge improvement to make it legal in the U.S. again so it can be regulated and done by U.S. standards~and get Temple Grandin to design humane slaughter houses as she did for the cattle industry.”

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2023/02/10/report-horses-sold-at-iowa-auction-house-for-food-industry-mistreated/69876989007/

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2023 at 11:10 PM, joc said:

You didn't save a poor animal from starvation.  You probably took away a much needed meal for the Crow's offspring.  You don't really get life do you?

Let me explain it to you in simple terms.  Life kills to eat.  If life doesn't kill to eat, life dies...all of it.  

All  you did is save a rabbit from being a meal.  Why do you think the rabbits are there to begin with?  They are their as meals.  Plain and simple.  

So ask yourself this question...If you were all alone in the wilderness with your child...and you child was starving...would you catch a rabbit if you could and kill it and cook it and feed it to your child...or would you just let your child starve to death?

Not everyone thinks the way you do joc. There is no need for such carnage. Crows pick at things already dead, normally. Not bludgeon a baby to death with a sharp beak and rip him to shreds while crying. Poor thing!! I'm vegetarian. Rabits are not here for food. That wasn't the purpose of their creation. 

Edited by ReadTheGreatControversyEGW
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 3:08 AM, LightAngel said:

I am sure you meant well, but please remember that animals have to eat to survive, so maybe the crow would starve that day because you took away its meal.

We have to be careful not to interfere too much with nature.

I understand where you are coming from because I always have to look away when I see animals hunt, but I also know that they have to do it to survive and therefore I accept it.

Thanks for replying. I honestly rather the crow starve lol less gruesome 

1 hour ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Not everyone thinks the way you do joc. There is no need for such carnage. Crows pick at things already dead, normally. Not bludgeon a baby to death with a sharp beak and rip him to shreds while crying. Poor thing!! I'm vegetarian. Rabits are not here for food. That wasn't the purpose of their creation. 

Well they should.  It would be a hell of alot better world if more people thought the way I do.  Who made you God over what crows eat?  Who gave  you the law of what to eat and not eat?  I watched a hawk eat one of my chickens last Thanksgiving morning.  I didn't get all bent out of shape.  I wished the hawk Happy Thanksgiving.  I also saved a chicken from certain death from a coyote.  

This is exactly what is wrong with you goody two shoes, better than thou, spiritual elitists...you think  you know what's best for everyone and everything and you don't have a clue about anything.  Go mind your own business.  Get off of my case.

But no, here you go injecting your control freak ideas onto this thread.  Just don't! 

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

Well they should.  It would be a hell of alot better world if more people thought the way I do. 

That's the dog-eat-dog world we have today and you love it! Enjoy. 

1 hour ago, joc said:

This is exactly what is wrong with you goody two shoes, better than thou, spiritual elitists...you think  you know what's best for everyone and everything and you don't have a clue about anything.  Go mind your own business.  Get off of my case.

But no, here you go injecting your control freak ideas onto this thread.  Just don't! 

Spiritual elitists? You have problems. I shared my story about rescuing a baby bunny and you jumped in with all your crazy shenanigans. 

5 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Almost all carnivores eat rabbits and lucky they do or there would be no vegetation left in rabbit areas and all the other herbivores would starve. I like rabbits, they are great survivalists but the predators keep the numbers down and prey on the weak, improving the health of the rabbits colonies. You don't mind killing plants to feed yourself, they are just as alive as you, but more aware of the reality of life on earth.

• Like 3

Thanks for replying. I honestly rather the crow starve lol less gruesome 

Even less gruesome would be you starving. I'd honestly prefer that.

Crows pick at things already dead, normally.

Crows eat practically anything and they do a good job of disposing of carrion as well. They also keep down insects which destroy the vegetables you are so happy to murder, lol. 

• Like 2

My little piece of nature

1459362281_thekoipond1.jpg.aa1b5007bb9cb329616c8e13e83dfe1b.jpg

• Like 6

I’m really looking forward to ice fishing season this Winter. I’ll get to show off my new action figure.

image.thumb.jpeg.70dbadd0c5bb6146448688f7b65cecca.jpeg

• Haha 6

On 8/23/2023 at 6:24 AM, joc said:

My little piece of nature

1459362281_thekoipond1.jpg.aa1b5007bb9cb329616c8e13e83dfe1b.jpg

Your little piece of paradise. :P

• Like 3

So, I just hooked up this water feature my wife bought me for my birthday!  The birds love it!  Inside my office window and it's 106 degrees outside.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, joc said:

So, I just hooked up this water feature my wife bought me for my birthday!  The birds love it!  Inside my office window and it's 106 degrees outside.

That is so cool.   Once I have my yards landscaped I think I might add something like that in the front yard.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went for an evening walk at the lake, and on my way home I passed some grain bins. I’ve never seen so many turkey vultures in one place!

Interesting tidbit: a group of roosting vultures is called a ‘Committee’. Vultures in flight are called a ‘Kettle’. Vultures feasting on carrion are called a ‘Wake’.

image.thumb.jpeg.25f54c24a2f7f4caadb693f4e23061a2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca1b205246dd2c766d2b89faa0b77dd8.jpeg

image.jpeg.7a98acfe2f3697462b515a0219910652.jpeg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I went for an evening walk at the lake, and on my way home I passed some grain bins. I’ve never seen so many turkey vultures in one place!

Interesting tidbit: a group of roosting vultures is called a ‘Committee’. Vultures in flight are called a ‘Kettle’. Vultures feasting on carrion are called a ‘Wake’.

Awesome!  Vultures rule! This is several miles from my house on Pig Farm Road.  The tree is gone now...last year it just blew over.

1442456704_vulturetree.thumb.jpg.a9da250a5a52fd2768e6047c3091ede9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Vultures rule! This is several miles from my house on Pig Farm Road. 

Pig Farm Road! Love it! Perfect name for a country road.

• Like 1

Or a riot of kookaburras here in oz ….and when u hear them that sounds about right…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shadowsfall said:

Or a riot of kookaburras here in oz ….and when u hear them that sounds about right…

I looked it up...wow!  Doesn't really take to many to have a riot huh? 

• Like 2