Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of nature in your life

LightAngel

1 minute ago, joc said:

I looked it up...wow!  Doesn't really take to many to have a riot huh? 

Absolutely not …u get the impression someone is falling over quite a lot over here …why else would they be laughing…:whistle:

• Haha 2

Nature is a loaded word.  As an avid outdoorsman I enjoy being close to "nature", but philosophically the term "nature" is problematic.  We humans forget we are animals, and try to draw an arbitrary line between the things we make and do, and the natural world.  Artificial on one side and natural on the other.  A "real" nature sees no such line. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Nature is a loaded word.  As an avid outdoorsman I enjoy being close to "nature", but philosophically the term "nature" is problematic.  We humans forget we are animals, and try to draw an arbitrary line between the things we make and do, and the natural world.  Artificial on one side and natural on the other.  A "real" nature sees no such line. 

That's why I would like for my death to be a pack of Hyena's ripping me into pieces in about 1.5 seconds.  Now that's nature!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

but this is also nature...

image.png.9c483b0baad289d462c352b81df244f8.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, simplybill said:

image.thumb.jpeg.038cbb09633a740ce325d35095c2ae82.jpeg

Marvelous, what a cutie pie. :D

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.1d3a6b833d8414aa4374511ed96eaa21.png

• Like 9

I've been perusing all the cool nature scenes folks have been posting and thought I'd share some of the ones I've been able to capture around our place.

This is one I took oh so many years ago of a dilapidated dock on the marsh side of the property. We rebuilt the dock somewhat since then but then over the course of several hurricanes, it is now in total dis-repair (to be shown later):

Dock.jpg

• Like 9

These pictures show the dock I previously showed, one when it was rebuilt into a T-shaped dock, and the other one is as it is today after a few hurricanes have come through:

IMG_0007.JPG

• Like 5

On 10/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, Sojo said:

I've been perusing all the cool nature scenes folks have been posting and thought I'd share some of the ones I've been able to capture around our place.

This is one I took oh so many years ago of a dilapidated dock on the marsh side of the property. We rebuilt the dock somewhat since then but then over the course of several hurricanes, it is now in total dis-repair (to be shown later):

Dock.jpg

Cool photo! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, simplybill said:

Cool photo! 

Thanks a lot. I've been looking at all the good photos that you and the others have shared, and you've inspired me to take more notice of all the nature that surrounds us right where we are sometimes.

Thanks for that.

Now, I just need to get the resizing thing down a little better. I couldn't get multiple pics in the same post.

Sojo

• Like 3

I'll see if this works.

We live on a tidal creek that comes off an intra-coastal river that runs behind a barrier island of the Atlantic Ocean. I wanted to post a couple photos that showed the drastic change between low and high tides. The photo with the lowest tide is not quite fully low tide yet. At low tide the water is only a trickle of water laying in the mud-bottom.

DSCN0469.JPG

Spring 2007 Mac birthday 022.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/8/2023 at 12:57 AM, Hammerclaw said:

image.png.1d3a6b833d8414aa4374511ed96eaa21.png

I watched morning glories take over whole corn and soybean fields and my wife has them on our mailboxes and signs.

• Like 6

Thought I'd try to do a video link to see how that works. (I'm new to the posting of pics and video stuff so thought I'd see how that works. I assumed videos need to be linked as opposed to any uploading.)

I don't know how many have bird feeders, but the one big problem we have is squirrels getting to the feeder and emptying it out post-haste. I tried hanging one by insulated wire from a tree branch but the squirrels figured out how to just slide down it. I found that this simple squirrel baffle works if you do it correctly. The feeder needs to be mounted on a single pole (I used an old aluminum one I had lying around), and the baffle needs to be mounted high enough on the pole so squirrels can't jump over top of it. It comes with a pole mount so it can hang loosely just under the feeder. This squirrel had already tried several time but thought he give it another try before giving up. They just can't get any grip on the baffle and can't get over it. It really does work. I generally fill the feeder and it will last about 3 days or so. I then leave it empty for a couple days before re-filling it. I figured it forces the critters to still look for food elsewhere for a while so they aren't too dependent on it (and bird seed ain't all that cheap anymore).

• Like 2

We live across the street from a graveyard. Recently while I was sitting on the porch, I noticed a bald eagle that had evidently captured some small critter was dealing with it in the graveyard. I tried to sneak close enough to get a few pictures. He noticed me and then flew to the back of the graveyard to get some more privacy.

IMG_20230927_095240184.jpg

IMG_20230927_095605991.jpg

IMG_20230927_095625391.jpg

IMG_20230927_095625683.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/12/2023 at 2:18 PM, Sojo said:

I don't know how many have bird feeders, but the one big problem we have is squirrels getting to the feeder and emptying it out post-haste. I tried hanging one by insulated wire from a tree branch but the squirrels figured out how to just slide down it. I found that this simple squirrel baffle works if you do it correctly. The feeder needs to be mounted on a single pole (I used an old aluminum one I had lying around), and the baffle needs to be mounted high enough on the pole so squirrels can't jump over top of it. It comes with a pole mount so it can hang loosely just under the feeder. This squirrel had already tried several time but thought he give it another try before giving up. They just can't get any grip on the baffle and can't get over it. It really does work. I generally fill the feeder and it will last about 3 days or so. I then leave it empty for a couple days before re-filling it. I figured it forces the critters to still look for food elsewhere for a while so they aren't too dependent on it (and bird seed ain't all that cheap anymore).

I agree that it is important not to overfeed wild animals because the animals should hunt for themselves most of the time.

However, here in our garden, we feed all animals equally because for us all life is worth the same. 🦁

Animals will eat all the food you give them because they never know when their next meal will come - so you have to create some kind of system so you can feed all the different animals in your garden (if that is your wish).

I often feed different animals at different times because I have noticed that they visit at different times. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I agree that it is important not to overfeed wild animals because the animals should hunt for themselves most of the time.

However, here in our garden, we feed all animals equally because for us all life is worth the same. 🦁

Animals will eat all the food you give them because they never know when their next meal will come - so you have to create some kind of system so you can feed all the different animals in your garden (if that is your wish).

I often feed different animals at different times because I have noticed that they visit at different times. :)

Hi LightAngel, not to worry for those squirrels though. They get  plenty. We use a songbird blend that has all kinds of seeds, nuts, and some fruit too. The blue-jays, and woodpeckers hit the feeder and use their beaks to scrape a lot of the seeds and stuff out to the ground trying to get to the peanuts and larger seed/nut items. The squirrels are here daily cleaning up around the feeder. But if I didn't use the baffle, they'd have the feeder cleaned out too quickly.

We can always go out on the porch and hear some birdsong (except when a hawk come around thinking he can hunt over a baited field so to speak.) I've had to chase a hawk away more than once.

I've also noticed how the animals will come at certain times of the day. Its amazing what one can learn simply by watching and being observant.

Regards,

Sojo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a pic of my "Walden Pond" area for just sitting and enjoying nature and doing some thinking/reading.

This structure has been on the property for over 50 years. It was originally built as a shed but hurricanes eventually destroyed the plywood outer walls. But that skeleton has got to be one of the strongest framed structures for a shed I've seen. It was so solid, I didn't have the heart to tear it down so I turned it into a sort of hut with a table and a couple chairs.

IMG_20230623_120837449_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sojo said:

Hi LightAngel, not to worry for those squirrels though. They get  plenty. We use a songbird blend that has all kinds of seeds, nuts, and some fruit too. The blue-jays, and woodpeckers hit the feeder and use their beaks to scrape a lot of the seeds and stuff out to the ground trying to get to the peanuts and larger seed/nut items. The squirrels are here daily cleaning up around the feeder. But if I didn't use the baffle, they'd have the feeder cleaned out too quickly.

We can always go out on the porch and hear some birdsong (except when a hawk come around thinking he can hunt over a baited field so to speak.) I've had to chase a hawk away more than once.

I've also noticed how the animals will come at certain times of the day. Its amazing what one can learn simply by watching and being observant.

Regards,

Sojo

I am glad to hear that the squirrels are fine. ;)

Yes, we learn so much about nature just by being observant.

We also learn a lot about ourselves in that process because nature can inspire us to reflect on the very essence of what life is about - the clarity nature can give us is a great gift.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LightAngel said:

We also learn a lot about ourselves in that process because nature can inspire us to reflect on the very essence of what life is about - the clarity nature can give us is a great gift.

Bingo!

So many miss out on this!

• Like 1