Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of nature in your life

LightAngel

Sometimes, dolphins even make it all the way from the ocean, traverse the river, and then come all the way up into the creeks to get some of the fish that are more or less trapped in the furthest parts. (You can see a dolphin fin in the upper right part of the creek just before it goes around the bend.)

IMG_20231009_083810650.jpg

IMG_20231009_083836755.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sojo said:

Bingo!

So many miss out on this!

If you love nature then you will naturally treat it well.

So finding love for nature is a gift for all of us. ;)

• Like 3

I occasionally take a video survey of our property since we're subject to hurricanes and high winds (to include tornadoes) sometimes. This is a mini stroll I take a couple times a day weather permitting, and today was such a nice day, I decided to update the video. I thought I'd share it in case anyone just wanted to take a virtual stroll around a marsh-front area. Be forewarned, it runs nearly 12 minutes and I stop at a few different spots and take some wide sweeps. So, try not to get dizzy.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sojo said:

I occasionally take a video survey of our property since we're subject to hurricanes and high winds (to include tornadoes) sometimes. This is a mini stroll I take a couple times a day weather permitting, and today was such a nice day, I decided to update the video. I thought I'd share it in case anyone just wanted to take a virtual stroll around a marsh-front area. Be forewarned, it runs nearly 12 minutes and I stop at a few different spots and take some wide sweeps. So, try not to get dizzy.

@Sojo - I love your property!! It looks so peaceful, and the marsh view is beautiful. Thanks for the tour!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, simplybill said:

@Sojo - I love your property!! It looks so peaceful, and the marsh view is beautiful. Thanks for the tour!

Thanks a lot. Believe me, I realize just how blessed I am to have made it through life's maze with my wife to be able to retire in this place.

Sojo

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sojo said:

We had a tortoise come visiting the other day. I headed him off into a safer direction from the roadway and sent him on his way.

IMG_20231025_141122479.jpg

My dad used to stop on the highway and pick up tortoises and bring them home.  Before that he used to bring snakes home but my mother put a stop to that.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 9:14 AM, Alchopwn said:

Nature is a loaded word.  As an avid outdoorsman I enjoy being close to "nature", but philosophically the term "nature" is problematic.  We humans forget we are animals, and try to draw an arbitrary line between the things we make and do, and the natural world.  Artificial on one side and natural on the other.  A "real" nature sees no such line. 

I agree. Whatever we humans create, it's still part of nature. Even concrete or plutonium, nukes, plastic or whatever.

Once, billions of years ago, there was a poison coming in earth's atmosphere that must have killed off all microbiological life.

It was oxygen:

https://asm.org/articles/2022/february/the-great-oxidation-event-how-cyanobacteria-change

Ok, this section is meant for photos, so I'll shut up.

Edited by Abramelin

Evening walk around the quarry lakes in Schildberg Recreation Area in west-central Iowa. The autumn colors have passed their peak, and in a few days the path will be carpeted with fallen leaves. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f8edfc1f20fb77881ff153509baa123d.jpeg

• Like 8

One of my favorites:

Three years ago at Lake Anita State Park, a deer photobombed my Autumn photo. 

image.jpeg.a38bd840d8c40b00d17bcad7b03d1eb7.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The bottle brush tree threw out a stray one the other day. A traveling butterfly found it and took advantage of the late bloom.

Also, looks like the laurel oaks (at least I think that's what it is) will have a bumper crop of acorns this year.

Bottlebrush.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/27/2023 at 2:14 PM, Sojo said:

We had a tortoise come visiting the other day. I headed him off into a safer direction from the roadway and sent him on his way.

IMG_20231025_141122479.jpg

The way we treat creatures that can do nothing for us shows a lot about our personality. 

I love how you cared about that little creature! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This osprey is a regular. He has certain perches he uses to keep an eye out for fishing opportunities. He's part of a pair that seem to be together. I think the wife sends him out to fetch dinner before he can go hang out with the other guys.

IMG_20230922_100043589.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 4:24 PM, Sojo said:

Here's the easiest way to track a racoon in Florida.

I'm confused! In this video we get to see your shadow on the ground. Your shadow ears appear to be normal size . . . what's going on?! :unsure2:

These fall high tides regularly come up into the yard. That's why hurricane storm surge is so concerning to the marsh-bordering residents. But I had our home built  5-concrete-blocks up from the foundation, so hopefully no worries.

High Tide1.jpg

High Tide2.jpg

• Like 4

Rainy days seem to make the lichen on the trees show up even more.

I thought about cleaning off my mailbox post once, but then decided to just let it go and see how much would grow on it.

Tree Lichen.jpg

Post Lichen.jpg

• Like 4