Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could our universe be an alien science experiment ?

UM-Bot

Reminds of the cosmologists' mantra "Give us one miracle and we'll explain the rest."  Works for biologists too.

Edited by tortugabob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm always finding it interesting in simulation theories that scientists try to explain how the simulation is done in terms of the physics that applies to our universe. I think that is not valid. We know nothing about the physics that applies to the universe where the simulation is run. That physics might very well be very different from the physics that is valid here in the simulation.

• Like 3

The argument for the possibility of us being a simulation relies a great deal on a statistical supposition. A civilization that we can comprehend, say us +100 years or +1000 years might have time and energy to devote to some very complex simulations, and they might create a thousand or a million over time..   You could use that argument to posit that it is a million times more likely that we are in a simulation than in the real universe.

Alien scientists might have created a suite of simulations exploring minute differences in how the value of fundamental constants like the charge on the electron affect the evolution and shape of the  universe.   We live in one with a particular electron charge, it does not preclude that they may live in another.  

• Like 3

Looking for inconstancies in this universe could indicate we are in a simulation.

At some scale the need for complete adherence to universal rules might be unnecessary.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So we're nothing more than some bacteria in a cosmic petri dish. Sounds about right. 

If we are created by chance or some God or an intelligence for an experiment, if we are unaware, does it make a practical difference to us? 

Everything we have ever personally experienced would still be the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

If we are created by chance or some God or an intelligence for an experiment, if we are unaware, does it make a practical difference to us? 

Everything we have ever personally experienced would still be the same.

And if we are nothing more than an experiment, then our lives are just a test. Some messed up experiment to see what would happen. Which means either nothing matters because there isn't a creator, or our lives are all lies because there is one. With our ultimate fate of having the simulation turned off and scrapped.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The correct answer to the title question is "Yes."  Our Universe could be an alien science experiment.  Or it could be something else.  We don't know yet.

If you haven't read the linked article, don't bother - there's nothing new, nothing especially high-brow or even interesting.  Then again - if you know anything about the author Avi Loeb you know better than to get your hopes up.

7 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

I'm always finding it interesting in simulation theories that scientists try to explain how the simulation is done in terms of the physics that applies to our universe. I think that is not valid. We know nothing about the physics that applies to the universe where the simulation is run. That physics might very well be very different from the physics that is valid here in the simulation.

That's deep, man, really deep!  And probably far, far beyond theory or speculation.  I guess we just have to start somewhere?

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Alien scientists might have created a suite of simulations exploring minute differences in how the value of fundamental constants like the charge on the electron affect the evolution and shape of the  universe.   We live in one with a particular electron charge, it does not preclude that they may live in another.  

It might yet turn out that universes have universal rules which direct how things behave and interact.  We might find that the various fundamental constants are inherently determined by the existence of spacetime, in which case only certain similar types of universe are possible.  Or not; time might tell.

5 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The argument for the possibility of us being a simulation relies a great deal on a statistical supposition. A civilization that we can comprehend, say us +100 years or +1000 years might have time and energy to devote to some very complex simulations, and they might create a thousand or a million over time.  You could use that argument to posit that it is a million times more likely that we are in a simulation than in the real universe.

And why stop at a million?  Why not a million million?  Or 10insert any number bigger than 12 here?  If your logic is sound then it becomes infinitely more likely we are in a simulation.  Inevitable, really.  But by extension the aliens who set up our simulation must be Sims themselves, in an even-bigger simulation, etc. ad infinitum.  But at some point there must be an original, physical universe where aliens built the first computers, and that might as well be us?

4 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Looking for inconstancies in this universe could indicate we are in a simulation.  At some scale the need for complete adherence to universal rules might be unnecessary.  

Rules like don't contradict yourself every other post?  There's quite a few readers of this site who fall into that category.  Not naming names, but surely people like D*cy, Cl*ddy or P*p*G prove this is a real universe?  Nobody designing a simulation could be so cruel and twisted as to come up with them?

Just now, XenoFish said:

And if we are nothing more than an experiment, then our lives are just a test. Some messed up experiment to see what would happen. Which means either nothing matters because there isn't a creator, or our lives are all lies because there is one. With our ultimate fate of having the simulation turned off and scrapped.

I like it!  I've definitely wasted this life so after I die I'll be rebooted...  Hope I'm female next time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom1200 said:

I've definitely wasted this life so after I die I'll be rebooted.

Which just feeds in to the belief in reincarnation. They can just delete my character for all I care. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

My oh my we do have a high opinion of ourselves don't we?  The test may  have to do with the formation of black holes or filaments of dark matter.  We may be of no interest and never even noticed or  observed before the black hole simulation is turned off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

My oh my we do have a high opinion of ourselves don't we?  The test may  have to do with the formation of black holes or filaments of dark matter.  We may be of no interest and never even noticed or  observed before the black hole simulation is turned off.

That's your speculation. This whole experiment might just be them running simulation in the birth, life, and death of a universe while observing oddities. It would even be about testing out various life forms. I don't see how you get me having a high and mighty opinion of myself unless you're speaking in general. For all I know our universe might be somethings car battery and they have no idea we exist. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

I like it!  I've definitely wasted this life so after I die I'll be rebooted...  Hope I'm female next time.

Your personality could be rebooted, there would be no need to invent a world full of individuals, just enough randomness to make the simulation work. Although your personality would already be in circulation, copied numerous times. So a type of immortality. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you don't now its a test does it matter so long as the decisions you make are the same as in a real universe? Which they would have to be if the simulation was going to produce a meaningful result. 

Our feelings about this all hang on knowledge of the situation. In a/the real universe things are not exactly wonderful, people are lied to and lie to themselves.

We eventually die, quite often without achieving much in the great scheme of things. In practice is real life that much better. ;)   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's your speculation. This whole experiment might just be them running simulation in the birth, life, and death of a universe while observing oddities. It would even be about testing out various life forms. I don't see how you get me having a high and mighty opinion of myself unless you're speaking in general. For all I know our universe might be somethings car battery and they have no idea we exist. 

Only in general as a human.  It is my speculation that life may not be the topic of all simulations.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Scientists have speculated over the possibility that our entire universe may have been created in a laboratory.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/352166/could-our-universe-be-an-alien-science-experiment

Um nope, :lol: while anything is possible these kind of ideas are ridiculous and while I can't prove it, to me such talk is generated by Conspiracy Theorists and those trying to pull people's chains.:no:

Oh and by the way Avi Loeb, is a brilliant theoretical Astrophysicist, however lately he is making some redicules claims, I wonder what happened to him!:unsure:

JIMO

Edited by Manwon Lender

The idea of space being endless never made any sense to me. Everything has a beginning and a ending. We could be nothing more than a speck on some leaf.

19 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Scientists have speculated over the possibility that our entire universe may have been created in a laboratory.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/352166/could-our-universe-be-an-alien-science-experiment

Well, I dont think so. Aliens would not be able to build the Great Pyramids for exemple, let alone the whole universe. The Aliens are overrated. :)

• Haha 1

I quite like this idea because its an elegant solution, it seems to make sense on some basic level.

But if it came to a vote I would still preferer a real universe, whatever that is.  

On 11/2/2021 at 10:24 PM, Freez1 said:

The idea of space being endless never made any sense to me. Everything has a beginning and a ending. We could be nothing more than a speck on some leaf.

Because the idea of infinity is impossible for the human mind to truly appreciate. We simply lack the capability for it.

It might help if you reframe your idea of what "space" is, though. Space is not a thing, not a force, it is literally the absence of anything. Space is the area where no matter or energy currently exists. It is absence. Where the reaches of matter and energy end, there is absence, and therefore space. In much the same way that cold is not truly a force but a description for the absence of heat, so too is space a description for the absence of particles.

Edited by Xetan

I like to learn magic, because if the universe is a simulation/computer game then magic are cheat codes or trainers. Ghost and demons are banned gamers who try to hack themselves back and Angels are admins. Sounds plausible.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, Tatetopa said:

The argument for the possibility of us being a simulation relies a great deal on a statistical supposition. A civilization that we can comprehend, say us +100 years or +1000 years might have time and energy to devote to some very complex simulations, and they might create a thousand or a million over time..   You could use that argument to posit that it is a million times more likely that we are in a simulation than in the real universe.

simulations or alternative realities?