Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saqsayhuaman - How They Did It | Polygonal Masonry

WVK

In this one, Dr. Miano gets two questions about ancient polygonal masonry, and the inevitable questions about the great Inca fortress of Sacsayhuaman. How was it built? An interview with architect Vincent Lee sheds some light on the issues. CONTENTS 00:00 Introduction 02:32 Ancient Greek polygonal masonry 05:31 Ancient Italian polygonal masonry 06:04 Intro to Sacsayhuaman 12:05 Vincent Lee on Inca stone quarrying 17:53 Vincent Lee on Inca stone transportation 24:35 Vincent Lee on stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 31:59 Vincent Lee's theory of stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 43:56 The worldwide polygonal masonry phenomenon

CONTENTS 00:00 Introduction 02:32 Ancient Greek polygonal masonry 05:31 Ancient Italian polygonal masonry 06:04 Intro to Sacsayhuaman 12:05 Vincent Lee on Inca stone quarrying 17:53 Vincent Lee on Inca stone transportation 24:35 Vincent Lee on stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 31:59 Vincent Lee's theory of stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 43:56 The worldwide polygonal masonry phenomenon

Edited by Saru
Fixed title, video embed
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Saqsayhuaman - How They Did It | Polygonal Masonry

Long ago I posted a link to a book written by a Spanish chronicler accompanying the Spanish conquistadores (or he was one of the conquistadores) whose written words showed that the Spaniards were witness of part of the construction of Saqsayhuaman.

As far as I know, nothing out of the ordinary was recorded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 11/2/2021 at 2:05 PM, Abramelin said:

Long ago I posted a link to a book written by a Spanish chronicler accompanying the Spanish conquistadores (or he was one of the conquistadores) whose written words showed that the Spaniards were witness of part of the construction of Saqsayhuaman.

As far as I know, nothing out of the ordinary was recorded.

That said, do you find the method described plausible?

36 minutes ago, WVK said:

Yes. However you probably didn't. What evidence do you find the most compelling in support of that contention?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Yes. However you probably didn't. What evidence do you find the most compelling in support of that contention?

Best so far as the molded, acid softened, focused light theory’s have bitten the dust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, WVK said:

I just finished watching the video, and yes, I found Lee's method plausible.

But... I'd like to see him and a team recreate just a part of a wall the size of Saqsayhuaman.

• Like 2

A relevant video from Ancient Architects:

I found this worth while.    47:14

Edited by Wistman
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, WVK said:

In this one, Dr. Miano gets two questions about ancient polygonal masonry, and the inevitable questions about the great Inca fortress of Sacsayhuaman. How was it built? An interview with architect Vincent Lee sheds some light on the issues. CONTENTS 00:00 Introduction 02:32 Ancient Greek polygonal masonry 05:31 Ancient Italian polygonal masonry 06:04 Intro to Sacsayhuaman 12:05 Vincent Lee on Inca stone quarrying 17:53 Vincent Lee on Inca stone transportation 24:35 Vincent Lee on stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 31:59 Vincent Lee's theory of stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 43:56 The worldwide polygonal masonry phenomenon

CONTENTS 00:00 Introduction 02:32 Ancient Greek polygonal masonry 05:31 Ancient Italian polygonal masonry 06:04 Intro to Sacsayhuaman 12:05 Vincent Lee on Inca stone quarrying 17:53 Vincent Lee on Inca stone transportation 24:35 Vincent Lee on stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 31:59 Vincent Lee's theory of stone placement at Sacsayhuaman 43:56 The worldwide polygonal masonry phenomenon

For those who didn't watch the video, this is the link to Vincent Lee's website:

http://vince-lee.com/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I just finished watching the video, and yes, I found Lee's method plausible.

But... I'd like to see him and a team recreate just a part of a wall the size of Saqsayhuaman.

The difficulty of lifting suspending lowering is not well explained. Apparently they had no problem sliding the stones to the site. If so maybe they fit the pieces in the horizontal  sliding them togeather chipping, away until  done. Them assemble the shaped stones vertically 

4 hours ago, WVK said:

The difficulty of lifting suspending lowering is not well explained. Apparently they had no problem sliding the stones to the site. If so maybe they fit the pieces in the horizontal  sliding them togeather chipping, away until  done. Them assemble the shaped stones vertically 

Pre shaped stones could lowered from the raised area behind the wall being built

https://www.rainforestcruises.com/guides/sacsayhuaman

On 11/11/2021 at 6:55 AM, WVK said:

So, any reason that wouldn’t work?

20 minutes ago, WVK said:

I understand that no examples of any flipped on it’s back being processed.have been found.

Do you mean an unfinished and abandoned stones? There are number of those or do you mean something else? How do you determine what a stone's 'back' is by the way?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Do you mean an unfinished and abandoned stones? There are number of those or do you mean something else? How do you determine what a stone's 'back' is by the way?

Yes an lack of unfinished stone that could have  to fit into the wall. The face of which would point up as it was worked.

1 hour ago, WVK said:

Yes an lack of unfinished stone that could have  to fit into the wall. The face of which would point up as it was worked.

I understand the first sentence but how would you determine the second?

A number of Inca site were left unfinished due to the Spanish invasion you'd have to check the imagery and papers about those sites.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hanslune said:

I understand the first sentence but how would you determine the second?

A number of Inca site were left unfinished due to the Spanish invasion you'd have to check the imagery and papers about those sites.

Ok. 
is there any evidence  that shaping the stone horizontally then stacking vertically wouldn’t work or  was not done?

15 minutes ago, WVK said:

Ok. 
is there any evidence  that shaping the stone horizontally then stacking vertically wouldn’t work or  was not done?

You didn't answer my question nor does it appear you read my second sentence.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

41 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I spoke too soon, i need study the matter. 

4 hours ago, WVK said:

Please and let us know what you determine. You also might try contacting the writer of that paper (is still alive of course) and the guy the who did the V and see if they click on anything,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Please and let us know what you determine. You also might try contacting the writer of that paper (is still alive of course) and the guy the who did the V and see if they click on anything,

I think most on this board could produce a reasonable detailed  MOP for the shape horizontally, stack vertically method.  I have yet to see such for the vertical figment theory. Isn’t that the reason the alternative theorys exist

21 hours ago, Trelane said:

Acid softened. What acid?

I believe it  is this: https://www.siftdesk.org/article-details/On-the-reddish-glittery-mud-the-Inca-used-for-perfecting-their-stone-masonry/264

FeS2 + 3O2 = FeSO4 + SO2   

• Thanks 2