Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Paranoid Android

14 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Come on Toast don't tell him that, let him think he can speak another language, and maybe that's true it just isn't German!:D

Pass auf dich auf, mein Kamerad:tu:

I wouldn't insult the German language by presuming to speak it. The school boy pastiche I remember bits and pieces of was a syntax and grammatical parody, at best.:D

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I wouldn't insult the German language by presuming to speak it. The school boy pastiche I remember bits and pieces of was a syntax and grammatical parody, at best.:D

Well at least your honest, because to someone who grew up speaking it like I did your comments were comical thanks for the laugh!:D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well at least your honest, because to someone who grew up speaking it like I did your comments were comical thanks for the laugh!:D

No problem! I get a kick out of this channel on YouTube.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No problem! I get a kick out of this channel on YouTube.

That's pretty funny also, but I grew learning German and English at the same time, German from mom and dad and English from TV, and other children. By 5 years old I could speak both languages, it's truly amazing how young children are able to learn additional languages. But after about 12 years old if you have never learned a second language you will never truly be a fluent speaker, what I mean by fluent is being able to properly pronounce the syllables. 

But when you have learned multiple languages when you a young child, you can easily learn additional languages later in life. 

Again thanks the laugh and the humorous little video, that was cheeky!:lol:

Thread cleaned

Let's keep it civil folks, don't make things personal.

Thank you.

• Like 3

I wonder if CNN's legal department is getting a little concerned?

This reporter tells more truth in 2 minutes than the network has since the night of the shootings.  Go figure, eh?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

He was perfectly justified in what he did. That's why a jury of his peers exonerated him, completely. The fact that some people elevate their squeamishness at the thought to the status of righteousness in non sequitur.

It's odd how many people claim he should not have been there, but do not feel the same about the criminals who were starting fires and attacked Rittenhouse.  

I think Rittenhouse should have stayed home, but he was trying to help the business owners who were left on their own.  

• Like 4

The left keeps making idiots of themselves.

Even without an facts to support Rittenhouse being a "white supremacist" and the criminals killed being all white, they still must spew their racism. 

Liberal MSNBC host Tiffany Cross blasted Republican members of Congress as "White supremacists" on Saturday, one day after a Wisconsin jury acquitted Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's pretty funny also, but I grew learning German and English at the same time, German from mom and dad and English from TV, and other children. By 5 years old I could speak both languages, it's truly amazing how young children are able to learn additional languages. But after about 12 years old if you have never learned a second language you will never truly be a fluent speaker, what I mean by fluent is being able to properly pronounce the syllables. 

But when you have learned multiple languages when you a young child, you can easily learn additional languages later in life. 

She's quite remarkable. I encourage you to watch more of her videos. The only way older people truly master another language is to be totally immersed in it. For the young it is easy. It's tragic how many immigrants don't pass their native language  on to their children. It's too easy to get by as monolinguists, here. When I was young, I was engaged to a girl whose mother was Flemish and spoke five different languages, fluently. During the war, she acted as a translator for the Maquis in France. She didn't pass a single one of those languages on to her daughters.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to learn another language its easy at any age.

Just find a news site in the country, copy an article, get your translation dictionary out, and go through it translating it word by word. Then translate the actual document into English using Google and investigate then tidy up where you went wrong.

Repeat once everyday with a new article. You will quickly find you pick up what words mean what. After a month of doing it once a day you are ready to watch videos in that language. Anything you dont get, jump back, put on English subtitles, and learn.

It can also help to choose another language first as an in between step. Such as going from English to Danish to German. I say that because half of Danish words you can kind of understand when you find out what they mean. Once you`ve mastered Danish and jump to German you can see that the same applies with Danish and German.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Overthe last year my number has gotten around the Nepali community here so I've been doing a lot of work in their homes and I'm always amazed at the little ones language abilities. 4 and 5 year olds speak English and Nepali fluently. The parents usually speak fairly good English and none of the grandparents ever speak anything but Nepali. All their homes are multi generational. It looks to me like after a couple generations their descendents will lose their native language. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

If the situation was identical, I would expect an identical result. However, this is impossible to really answer, as there is no analogous example where a black teen was attending a lawless riot with the intent of protecting the town with a gun and was then attacked by rioters. We can't look at what happened to Rittenhouse, and then compare it to..... Ma'khia Bryant, for example, and say "look, police turned up and shot a knife-wielding black teen dead in 8 seconds, but let a white teen gunman go home after shooting 3 people in Kenosha - see, must be racism" (I've literally seen this comparison on some left-wing pages I visit, so don't think I'm just trying to be hyperbolic with this comparison). The two situations are not analogous. 

Definitely the right call, in my opinion :tu: 

It doesn’t have to be identical. Has a person of color ever been cleared of murder because it was found in court that it was a case of self defense? Of course it has happened. This race baiting victimhood crap is just getting ridiculous. I’ll go as far as to say if KR had been black there wouldn’t have even been charges brought from the office of the prosecutor due to the clear evidence of self defense.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

For the young it is easy.

This truth reminds me of a story I read in a Reader's Digest.  It was about a little 6-year-old girl who was growing up in a multi-lingual family and when she got to school she came home confused and told her mom, "everybody speaks the same language" :)   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well, I have to ask, where were the cops?  We see the pictures of them acknowledging him as he walks by.  They let him walk into danger alone?  How is that a good decision from professionally trained LEO's?

That'd be the responsibility of the mayor of that town and he should be beggared in lawsuits for telling the LEOs to stand down.  That crap has to STOP.  I don't care how angry people get, they need to understand that they cannot behave like lawless animals and just destroy everything in sight.  IF they try it they need to know they are going to risk prison and, potentially, death.  Lawlessness is a cancer and it grows wildly out of control.

• Like 5

On 11/21/2021 at 2:46 AM, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

Well, we'll see how the Arbery trial goes concerning vigilantiism. I believe Arbery rests in Hell, but still what was done was done during the day.  Exodus 22:2 says not to kill a thief during the day. That trial should happen next week concerning the whole situation. Lawlessness for lawlessness is what we are looking at I think.

So? All that matters is what the code for Glynn County says.

You know, "Give to Caesar, what belongs to Caesar."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, F3SS said:

Overthe last year my number has gotten around the Nepali community here so I've been doing a lot of work in their homes and I'm always amazed at the little ones language abilities. 4 and 5 year olds speak English and Nepali fluently. The parents usually speak fairly good English and none of the grandparents ever speak anything but Nepali. All their homes are multi generational. It looks to me like after a couple generations their descendents will lose their native language. 

That's the situation I grew up in, my mother and father immigrated from Germany and I was the first child born in the United States in 1959. So as a young child I learned German before English, by approximately 5 years old I could speak both languages. Even after I started school my mother was very insistent that I learned the German Vocabulary, and that I could read and write German. Then I married a Korean exchange student in 1986 when I was stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia who I am still married to today. I took Korean 1,2 and 3 and with my wife's help learn to speak Korean, and passably read and write.

Then after I retired from the military and began working as a Government Contractor I was required to take a 2 month course in Arabic. I learned to enough to communicate and it served me well since my assignment was in the Middle East. While working there I was assigned a Kurdish interpreter who remained my interpreter for the 10 years I worked in the Middle East. He taught me Kurdish, and I helped him improve his English, by the time my I retired from Contractor work I was around 70+% fluent in Kurdish. 

But what you said about how the young children were able to speak multiple languages fluently makes perfect sense to me. After we are born our brains are a blank slate and open to opening up new pathways based upon the stimulation we are exposed to, and languages are among the first things we begin to acquire skills for. It never to soon to start teaching a child a second language and this will open up pathways that will stay with them their entire lives. It will give them the ability to more easily learn different languages later in life. 

As far as losing their Native language that depends upon the parents. Like in my case my mother was more than insistent that I was fluent in German, don't know if all German immigrants are like my mother or not. But her insistence served me very well throughout my life. I joined the US Military in 1978, and my first military assignment was in Karlsruhe, Germany in early 1980. Now I hadn't really used my German language skills a lot during my teenage years. But, after a month in Germany I was fluent again, and still able to read and write, this opened up an entirely different world for me. 

I could go to clubs where other soldiers were not welcome, because of my language skill. It was like I was in the US, I could go anywhere and fit in without any problem. Plus once I made friends and I explained my back ground and that I was a US Soldier and a American Citizen it just surprised people. I also was able to meet and stay with extended family on both my mothers and fathers side and it like being home for me. It was a great experience and I would have stayed longer but the Military had others plans for me. 

Take care. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

If you want to learn another language its easy at any age.

Just find a news site in the country, copy an article, get your translation dictionary out, and go through it translating it word by word. Then translate the actual document into English using Google and investigate then tidy up where you went wrong.

Repeat once everyday with a new article. You will quickly find you pick up what words mean what. After a month of doing it once a day you are ready to watch videos in that language. Anything you dont get, jump back, put on English subtitles, and learn.

It can also help to choose another language first as an in between step. Such as going from English to Danish to German. I say that because half of Danish words you can kind of understand when you find out what they mean. Once you`ve mastered Danish and jump to German you can see that the same applies with Danish and German.

What was the root dialect that the English language emerged from?

Google that!:D

11 hours ago, and then said:

This reporter tells more truth in 2 minutes than the network has since the night of the shootings.  

Thanks for posting that video, @and then. It’s encouraging to see an unbiased and non-political field reporter on CNN. It’s even more encouraging that the reporter is African-American. Maybe her calm demeanor will help quell the fears of those people who are on the fence about whether or not Justice was served in the Rittenhouse trial.

3 hours ago, and then said:

That'd be the responsibility of the mayor of that town and he should be beggared in lawsuits for telling the LEOs to stand down.  That crap has to STOP.  I don't care how angry people get, they need to understand that they cannot behave like lawless animals and just destroy everything in sight.  IF they try it they need to know they are going to risk prison and, potentially, death.  Lawlessness is a cancer and it grows wildly out of control.

Can't argue with that.  I am fine with protests and cries for justice, and the feeling that we ought to at least look at what people are protesting.  But, when it becomes destructive it needs to be opposed.  I am a liberal, but I am old and have seen a lifetime of this stuff.   I believe in equality and justice, but I also like law and order. 

We have a challenge in this nation that most non-European countries do not.  We have laws and most of us still believe in rule of law, but we also have rights that are guaranteed.  A lot of nations could just flip the authoritarian switch and beat heads until people shut up.  China for example does not have these kind of problems, and when the tentacles are firmly grasping Hong Kong, they will not have riots and protests there either.  

It will be interesting to see how we handle the next couple of years.  It would be nice to have law and order and rights at the same time. 

• Like 6