Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Controversy surrounds claim that a second Sphinx has been found

UM-Bot

It's odd that such a claim comes from a guy who should know about this. Certainly there is some faint resemblance from a 3/4 rear view, but it's not a sphinx, and even on his own admission it's not even fully cut out of the surrounding rock. It sits right by the monument of Khentkawes, which was partially cut from bedrock, and it looks reasonably clear that the "sphinx" formation has been formed when rock was cut away to form the Khentkawes monument.

For a sphinx this rock formation is just not right in it's location or in which way Halim says it is facing, and that is West. He argues that it is because it represents Ra-Horakhty, and with the Great Sphinx, is providing protection for the necropolis from the East and West. This is utter nonsense and he must know better. Ra-Horakhty has no such duality or function The closest to a back to back sphinx is the double lion Aker or Ruty, and they are always literally back to back, haunches to haunches, and have a sun disk in a horizon between and above them.

Edited by Wepwawet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

For a sphinx this rock formation is just not right in it's location or in which way Halim says it is facing, and that is West. He argues that it is because it represents Ra-Horakhty, and with the Great Sphinx, is providing protection for the necropolis from the East and West. This is utter nonsense and he must know better. 

Wot about my brilliant theory that the Sphinx is actually double-headed, but it's always edited in photos?  It's the only way of telling apart people who pretend to have seen it from those of us who actually have been there.1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And no photograph :mellow:

s-thinks.jpg.e8f6c6a7882c05f5a800330daf04bfab.jpg

I was there in a previous life and actually I helped build it.  We used geysers.  No ramps required.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Wepwawet said:

"No photograph" Fixed.

Hermione posted this link on HoM https://wisdomofnations.com/egypt/giza/second-sphinx-at-giza-plateau/

This is one of the images, and it can be seen that there is a superficial resemblance. The monument for Khentkawes is to the left

02-Second-Sphinx.jpg

Second-sphinx.jpg

• Like 3

would have been a wonderful discovery

• Like 1

Looks like a " Yardang " , which i believe the Sphinx was originally carved from. Could be why Dr Anthony West found geological signs that it is much older than has been said.

Edited by razman
  • Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 10:35 PM, razman said:

Looks like a " Yardang " , which i believe the Sphinx was originally carved from. Could be why Dr Anthony West found geological signs that it is much older than has been said.

The Riddle of the Yardang A yardang, in addition to being a great word to have on hand for scrabble games and crossword puzzles, is a geomorphologic rock feature sculpted by wind erosion. Wind itself does not erode rocks, but wind armed with dust and... This Yardang is in Argentina.

https://the-earth-story.com/post/162392558360/the-riddle-of-the-yardang-a-yardang-in-addition

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Thats what i mean , some of them take that natural look, i would say it's a possibility that it at least inspired their idea if not actually carved and worked from an actual yardang. When anthony west looked at it and said it was much older, then it's possible that some parts could be from an original yardang , although i am not sure if the whole Sphinx is covered with stone or not. Is the Sphinx said to be there before the Pyramids and other structures or after?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...