Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The rise of the occult on social media has eerie parallels with the 16th century

Eldorado

Some interesting posts here but it makes me wonder why people need/use these "aids."   like sigils, mirrors, or Ouija boards. 

The human mind can do any of the things described in some of these posts, without any aid or item.

It is is just about training and using the mind, and then believing, (having confidence /certainty)   and practising until you become skilled enough to make a  measurable  difference.  

Open up your mind (and in my  experience listen to the universal consciousness)  and you can basically do any of the things described in preceding posts without any need for an aid.

Some of this is done while asleep, and "dreaming," because its easier then, but it is also possible while wide awake, once you learn to shut out distractions. open up your inner (subconscious)  mind, and expand your consciousness. (These are not woo words, they are actual, physical/psychological/cognitive,   skills  which one can learn)   

16 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Some interesting posts here but it makes me wonder why people need/use these "aids."   like sigils, mirrors, or Ouija boards. 

The human mind can do any of the things described in some of these posts, without any aid or item.

It is is just about training and using the mind, and then believing, (having confidence /certainty)   and practising until you become skilled enough to make a  measurable  difference.  

Open up your mind (and in my  experience listen to the universal consciousness)  and you can basically do any of the things described in preceding posts without any need for an aid.

Some of this is done while asleep, and "dreaming," because its easier then, but it is also possible while wide awake, once you learn to shut out distractions. open up your inner (subconscious)  mind, and expand your consciousness. (These are not woo words, they are actual, physical/psychological/cognitive,   skills  which one can learn)   

It's a placebo of magical thinking and i.m.o. most people form them.  Reality isn't heaven like.

4 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

It's a placebo of magical thinking and i.m.o. most people form them.  Reality isn't heaven like.

It is true that all human minds evolved forms of thinking to protect their sanity and to promote survival.

Logic is one. Faith is another.

There are a number of psychological ploys  which the mind has evolved, to help us cope with the knowledge we possess. 

it is not a placebo as the word is often used.  It is an evolved genetic survival trait; like language and logical thinking.   It is certainly not "magical thinking" It is understanding and utilising  psychology and the human mind to best effect 

It is natural and real, not magical or mystical. 

Modern psychology  and  neuroscience helps us understand how it works, and why it is so powerful.. 

Reality, for a human being, is however they  perceive and shape their physical environment to be, within their own mind. Thus two people, living in the same place at the same time, in identical conditions,  can be living in different places, within their minds. One might have shaped heaven in their mind, while the other might believe they are living in hell.

Apart from the effects of getting older and the knowledge that I will die one day, I have lived in heaven for almost all of my life. Ie, for me, the world I live in (thanks to how I see it and how   live it and relate to others ) is like heaven is described as being. 

Purposeful, joyful, connected to others, in a state of wonder,  exploration, growth and   challenge.

Free from fear, greed, envy, hate,  anger, etc.   

The only theoretical difference is that, in the biblical heaven, ALL would  be as happy as I am with their  own lives. I wouldn't need to feel sorrow for them, or to do all I could to help them,   as I do feel a duty to do  in this world. 

Edited by Mr Walker

18 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

It is true that all human minds evolved forms of thinking to protect their sanity and to promote survival.

Logic is one. Faith is another.

There are a number of psychological ploys  which the mind has evolved, to help us cope with the knowledge we possess. 

it is not a placebo as the word is often used.  It is an evolved genetic survival trait; like language and logical thinking.   It is certainly not "magical thinking" It is understanding and utilising  psychology and the human mind to best effect 

It is natural and real, not magical or mystical. 

Modern psychology  and  neuroscience helps us understand how it works, and why it is so powerful.. 

Reality, for a human being, is however they  perceive and shape their physical environment to be, within their own mind. Thus two people, living in the same place at the same time, in identical conditions,  can be living in different places, within their minds. One might have shaped heaven in their mind, while the other might believe they are living in hell.

Apart from the effects of getting older and the knowledge that I will die one day, I have lived in heaven for almost all of my life. Ie, for me, the world I live in (thanks to how I see it and how   live it and relate to others ) is like heaven is described as being. 

Purposeful, joyful, connected to others, in a state of wonder,  exploration, growth and   challenge.

Free from fear, greed, envy, hate,  anger, etc.   

The only theoretical difference is that, in the biblical heaven, ALL would  be as happy as I am with their  own lives. I wouldn't need to feel sorrow for them, or to do all I could to help them,   as I do feel a duty to do  in this world. 

You do realize I'm talking about more than Christianity right?  You're not seeing the forest because of one tree.  Placebos of magical thinking extend past religion also, political parties and even nations do it.  Criminal gangs like the Bloods, the Aryan Brotherhood and MS-13 do it.  I also consider it a part of evolution (or de-evolution because most resemble something like a poorly written software program or combination Trojan horse/ransomware/malware program ).

3 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

You do realize I'm talking about more than Christianity right?  You're not seeing the forest because of one tree.  Placebos of magical thinking extend past religion also, political parties and even nations do it.  Criminal gangs like the Bloods, the Aryan Brotherhood and MS-13 do it.  I also consider it a part of evolution (or de-evolution because most resemble something like a poorly written software program or combination Trojan horse/ransomware/malware program ).

All  religions are basically the same.  They  are formalised and ritualised expressions of a basic human psychological adaptation.

The y all offer the same benefits and dangers, although some are more constructive than others when you live by their beliefs  Eg caring for  the environment is a belter belief than pillaging it 

The first Cromagnon shaman was accessing the same spiritual centre and beliefs as  a member of the latest religious group. They just organise their particular expression  of practice around the knowledge and social norms of their time

and yes, "magical thinking "which is not really magical but psychology,  is an evolved part of all humans They can use it in religion or in any other form of social expression.

Finally; while faith, belief, and spirituality are individual human traits, religions come from  humanity's  need  for social connection and from the power of the group to do more than the individual .

It provides for  another important human psychological need.

I use the analogy of football, where people join like minded tribes  to follow an activity which also brings them individual pleasure and satisfaction.  

In  many African American communities (and possibly Latino, although i haven't read any literature on that group)  gangs often take the place of families for young men,  where family structure, especially the authority of biological fathers, has broken down, or is non existent.  

• Confused 1