Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TikTok abuse 'is pushing teachers over the edge'

Eldorado

A teacher who has been the target of abuse on TikTok says others in the profession are being "pushed over the edge" by online harassment.

Tom Rogers is one of dozens of teachers who have reported harassment on social media in recent weeks, some of whom have signed off sick.

The posts often feature footage from learning resources used by teachers during lockdowns.

TikTok says it is taking extra measures to remove videos targeting teachers.

And the government plans to introduce laws to make social-media companies more accountable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-59264238

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

A teacher who has been the target of abuse on TikTok says others in the profession are being "pushed over the edge" by online harassment.

Tom Rogers is one of dozens of teachers who have reported harassment on social media in recent weeks, some of whom have signed off sick.

The posts often feature footage from learning resources used by teachers during lockdowns.

TikTok says it is taking extra measures to remove videos targeting teachers.

And the government plans to introduce laws to make social-media companies more accountable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-59264238

Maybe I am simple but, do the teachers have to log on to tik tok?   Why not just cancel their account and forget about it.  Like facebook and the others, once you give it up it just takes a week to quit thinking about it.   How are teachers being harassed?  What did the guy post that would cause kids to laugh at him?  

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe I am simple but, do the teachers have to log on to tik tok?   Why not just cancel their account and forget about it.  Like facebook and the others, once you give it up it just takes a week to quit thinking about it.   How are teachers being harassed?  What did the guy post that would cause kids to laugh at him?  

It is not that simple. It is not about the teachers logging into TikTok.

13 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

It is not that simple. It is not about the teachers logging into TikTok.

Well, can you explain why it is not that simple?

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, can you explain why it is not that simple?

The Jon Ronson book here looks at some aspects, this Wikipedia entry is quite interesting: So You've Been Publicly Shamed - Wikipedia

There are cases where corporations have had their share prices slashed and small businesses have gone bust completely because of social media campaigns, on media they have no connection with.

As a personal example in our town, a woman was photographed being stopped by security as she left a supermarket- she hadn't done anything wrong, a security tag had not been removed and the guard was checking her shopping, as was obliged to. The photographer, who had a personal grudge against her over some row about their children bullying each other, gleefully posted it on Facebook with a comment something like: "would you trust this thief to look after your kids?" The innocent shopper knew nothing about it until a friend told her. It caused a lot of grief.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:24 PM, The Silver Shroud said:

The Jon Ronson book here looks at some aspects, this Wikipedia entry is quite interesting: So You've Been Publicly Shamed - Wikipedia

There are cases where corporations have had their share prices slashed and small businesses have gone bust completely because of social media campaigns, on media they have no connection with.

As a personal example in our town, a woman was photographed being stopped by security as she left a supermarket- she hadn't done anything wrong, a security tag had not been removed and the guard was checking her shopping, as was obliged to. The photographer, who had a personal grudge against her over some row about their children bullying each other, gleefully posted it on Facebook with a comment something like: "would you trust this thief to look after your kids?" The innocent shopper knew nothing about it until a friend told her. It caused a lot of grief.

Well, maybe laws need to be added or changed to allow people mistreated that way some recourse.   What the poster of the photo did was reprehensible and she should be shamed in a similar manner just so she knows what she did.   That is the thing, everyone is so busy online they have no clue what is going on in real life for anyone else.   I have a friend who lost a job (before Facebook) because of something he posted on line.  It was not that bad, but one person took offense, spent the time tracking who he was and where he worked.  Called his boss and lied about the post online and the boss did not check it out or talk to him about it, just fired him.  Maybe we have too many stupid bosses and too many vindictive people who have no life.   I know my cousin had to go to court a few times over a facebook feud she had with an ex-friend.   Each time the friend proved to be lying and the 3rd time the judge told her, if I see you hear again I will have you arrested for harassment.  My cousin was no angel, but her friend was way out of line. Absolutely insane in my opinion.   I read Joh Ronson's book.   I guess I get what you are saying, but the first line of defense is not posting on social media the way people do on Facebook and instagram.   The second, I suppose is to take people to civil court when this kind of thing happens.  Get media attention that proves the perpetrator was being vindictive and out of line.   

I think the update has some bugs.  Where is the edit button?

I was also going to mention that this crap that goes on online is not new to society.  My parents had a neighbor who harassed them from the time we moved next door to him until a judge told him and my parents that he would put everyone in jail if any of them showed up in his court again.  My parents did not react properly to the harassment, which was actually going on between a lot of people in our neighborhood.   The neighbor's harassment culminated in him calling the police on my dad, who wasn't even home at the time, saying that he had banged his car after he parked it in our driveway.   My dad got home and the guy came over with his wife to get my dad to fight.   My dad insisted they go out in the street to fight, with my mom behind my dad yelling obscenities and the guy's wife behind him yelling obscenities.  They were in our yard univited, but the police had already been called.  I was about ten and thought instead of yelling back they should have called the police to remove the car.   But everyone was in an angry state and no one was thinking clearly.   So a law suit was filed, a counter suit was filed and the  judge had to listen to the bickering but put a stop to it.   Neither party felt vindicated, but shortly after that the neighbor was jailed for assault on someone in a bar so we didn't have any more problems.  

The harassment with other neighbors was just as idiotic.   One woman called the health department claiming another woman had a pig that was stinking up the neighborhood.  There was no pig, but the inspector was an idiot and accused the woman of hiding the pig.  She called the police on him because he would not leave.   The police took her side, but the one calling and complaining had nothing better to do and called the city complaining about every neighbor on the block for various health hazards that did not exist.   My mother got everyone she was harassing to go with her to a city council meeting with a petition to make it against policy to take anonymous complaints.  Apparently it was happening all over the city and city resources were being wasted on vindictive harassment of neighbors so the city council passed an ordinance and now 55 years later you still cannot complain about your neighbors anonymously.

There is just something wrong with some people and we need to figure out what and get them some help.