Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aphantasia

janesix

I stumbled across something strange ...apparently there are some people who dont and cant form mental images in thier head. And it's common for a lot of people to only be able to form fuzzy images. It's rarer to form normal images in the head,and then there are those who can project, or form images outside of their head. 

It's strange to me there are such differences. 

How do you see images? In the head, outside the head, or not at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janesix said:

I stumbled across something strange ...apparently there are some people who dont and cant form mental images in thier head. And it's common for a lot of people to only be able to form fuzzy images. It's rarer to form normal images in the head,and then there are those who can project, or form images outside of their head. 

It depends upon what I am doing, if I am working on a mechanical object taking it apart or reassembling it I can visualize the object assembled or disassembled. If I am just recalling something I am able to clearly visualize what Inam recalling in my mind. 

Peace. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, janesix said:

I get only the vaguest kinds of pictures when reading.  I love to read but tend to love styles of authors who describe action rather than painting pictures.  

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

It depends upon what I am doing, if I am working on a mechanical object taking it apart or reassembling it I can visualize the object assembled or disassembled. If I am just recalling something I am able to clearly visualize what Inam recalling in my mind. 

Peace. 

Wow I wish I could do that, a wonderful talent!

• Like 1

As I have explained before on UM,  I have self  induced Aphantasia, and for almost 70 years couldn't see the simplest image in my mind.

I am slowly redeveloping a little bit of abilty.  

However, this is only the case while I am awake.

While asleep I have always had very life like dreams and been able to control and construct them at will Ie controlled lucid dreaming 

• 2 weeks later...