Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'What do you know about 'The Urantia Papers'?'

c.s.lewis

6 hours ago, Essan said:

Not carpets.  Mattresses.  And they are all called Zem :tu:

These were only millimetres thick. They were non sentient,   apparently chlorophyll based, plant forms. 

But thanks for all the fish, anyway. :)  

Not sure if they had a name 

Their planet had a dense,  very cloudy,  atmosphere, and  I didn't see any beings on it sentient enough to give the plants a name. 

Ok so Methapysics ...

Edited by qxcontinuum

On 11/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, Luis Marco said:

...The Urantia Papers...

Aren't useful for anything.  In this age they should be called John Wayne papers.  It's rough, tough, and doesn't take **** of anybody.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Urantia Papers are just as valid a belief system as any other belief system.  If Urantia is a religion, then it is just as valid a religion as any other.  Who can say, this religion is better than that religion?  This belief is more accurate than that belief?  It's all the same street.  And...not a street I wish to walk down.  But that's just me...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

The Urantia Papers are just as valid a belief system as any other belief system.  If Urantia is a religion, then it is just as valid a religion as any other.  Who can say, this religion is better than that religion?  This belief is more accurate than that belief?  It's all the same street.  And...not a street I wish to walk down.  But that's just me...

To me, all religion is bullsh!t, just some turds are a different colour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

To me, all religion is bullsh!t, just some turds are a different colour.

Religion is belief.  Belief is what we don't really know but 'think' is the truth.  Our beliefs are a personal entanglement of thought process that reach a conclusion of 'truth'.  But in reality, that mental entanglement of thought happens because we don't really know.

There are things we know, and there are things we believe.  But because Beliefs are personal creations of our own mind...we tend to take them quite personally.  Because why would someone 'believe' something that wasn't true?  So...to the personal mind...beliefs are true.  It's what they call My Truth.  

The end result is that people believe what they believe is the truth.  When, they really don't know.  Truth is self evident.  Belief...not so much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Humans don't like not knowing.  So, when they don't know "Why are we here?"  " What happens when we die?"   "Why isn't granite soft and squishy and nice to eat with a fruit salad?"  we fill the gaps with religious belief.   It helps us sleep at night, knowing we have all the answers, even if most of them are complete hogswash.

• Like 3

The Urantia Book is just the same.   Although it fails compared with many religious beliefs in that it spends an inordinate amount of time telling us things that everyone knows are absolutely not true.  So when it does get to the bits we're not so sure about we can't help wondering if those are wrong as well ...... ;) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

So when it does get to the bits we're not so sure about we can't help wondering if those are wrong as well

Hi Essan

On the last page.

GIF books libros - animated GIF on GIFER

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, joc said:

Because it's a rehash of other religions I would say it's not as valid (as far  as validity and religion go.....) because it's just a poor facsimile of established religions. 

Less than I think. It's a rip off basically.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

@Luis Marco you say you’re not spamming or advertising, but that’s exactly what you did.

Sooooooo where do we go from here?

Shall I counter your FAQ with this one? 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Urantia_Book

Thats not actually a counter 

If anything, it is either neutral, or supportive of the Urantia story

eg from your source 

The Urantia Book has been enjoyed by some as a form of science fiction, historical fiction or fantasy. The Urantia Book is noted for its high level of internal consistency and an advanced writing style. Skeptic Martin Gardner, in a book otherwise highly critical of The Urantia Book, writes that it is "highly imaginative" and that the "cosmology outrivals in fantasy the cosmology of any science-fiction work known to me."[71] Gooch says that for nonbelievers, the book is a mixture of being "fascinating, inspiring, compelling, haunting, entertaining, annoying, incomprehensible, and always wordy."[97]

Parts I, II, and III are chiefly written in expository language. The papers are informational, matter-of-fact, and instructional. Part IV of the book is written as a biography of Jesus' life, and some feel it is a rich narrative with well-developed characters, high attention to detail, woven sub-plots, and realistic dialogue. Considered as literature, Part IV is favorably compared to retellings of Jesus' life, such as The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by José Saramago and Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock. Martin Gardner considers Part IV to be an especially "well-written, impressive work," and says, "Either it is accurate in its history, coming directly from higher beings in position to know, or it is a work of fertile imagination by someone who knew the New Testament by heart and who was also steeped in knowledge of the times when Jesus lived."[35] His assessment is that the narrative is consistent with human authorship.

Certainly it talks about the scientific errors but also s couple of true scientific predictions and it mentions a number of creative artists who carried it with them, and saw it as wisdom  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Because it's a rehash of other religions I would say it's not as valid (as far  as validity and religion go.....) because it's just a poor facsimile of established religions. 

Less than I think. It's a rip off basically.

but, but, but...aren't all religions basically rip offs of other religions?  i.e.  Christianity/Pagan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

If anything, it is either neutral, or supportive of the Urantia story

5 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Certainly it talks about the scientific errors

So in your view noting scientific errors is 'neutral, or supportive of the Urantia story'?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, joc said:

but, but, but...aren't all religions basically rip offs of other religions?  i.e.  Christianity/Pagan

They are, just not as blatant. It's like it challenges people to be stupid enough to use it as a religious guide. It's more a religious orientated paperback than a real religion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When even an antitheist notices a precipitous drop in quality, you can bet your pet cult is in serious jeopardy......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

So in your view noting scientific errors is 'neutral, or supportive of the Urantia story'?

I read the entire article.

90% of it was neutral in content.

The whole tone/language  was neutral  and unbiased.

It pointed out different views from  different  experts 

It did not suggest that the whole thing was a fake or  deliberate lie, but neither did it support the view that it came from  genuine contact with divine beings  

The general conclusion (with which I concur ) was tha t it was written by men in the 1950s  based on original material from  the 1930s 

There were very few revelations of scientific fact, and excuses for why there were not more  

so yes.

Noting scientific errors is neutral 

It detracts from  the suggested divine nature of the revelation, but not from  the message and power of the book  The bible is largely scientifically inaccurate yet it remains one of the most powerful and influential books in human history.  Neither the bible nor the Urantia papers are scientific text books  The y claim to be divine revelations and their power is in how they affect the hearts and minds of humans 

Did you note the bits  which said it was better written ( as a piece of literature)  than the bible :)  

• Like 1

I just joined this forum and have provided some background information in my profile. It can fairly be said that helping people study The Urantia Book with both depth and efficiency is my main purpose in life. No doubt, you will find that my website--UBannotated.com--provides deep and efficient Urantia Book study better than anything else out there. Don't mean to brag, but if you don't want to waste time and you have some interest in The Urantia Book, check it out. Then, let me now what you think, if you're so moved. Of particular note is the UBtheNEWS section, which features reports on how new discoveries and scientific advances increasingly support the account of history found in The Urantia Book. Folks in this forum might especially enjoy the Gobekli Tepe Report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Halbert said:

I just joined this forum and have provided some background information in my profile. It can fairly be said that helping people study The Urantia Book with both depth and efficiency is my main purpose in life. No doubt, you will find that my website--UBannotated.com--provides deep and efficient Urantia Book study better than anything else out there. Don't mean to brag, but if you don't want to waste time and you have some interest in The Urantia Book, check it out. Then, let me now what you think, if you're so moved. Of particular note is the UBtheNEWS section, which features reports on how new discoveries and scientific advances increasingly support the account of history found in The Urantia Book. Folks in this forum might especially enjoy the Gobekli Tepe Report.

I smell a bot. @Will Due what have you done?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

@Nuclear Wessel If you want to learn a little more about the relationship between the sense of smell and the sense of direction, check out the Magnetic Sensitivity Report in the UBtheNEWS section. It discusses The Urantia Book's statement about animals being given an innate sense of direction. Humans actually produce a magnetically sensitive mineral in our noses--magnetite.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Halbert said:

@Nuclear Wessel If you want to learn a little more about the relationship between the sense of smell and the sense of direction, check out the Magnetic Sensitivity Report in the UBtheNEWS section.

I prefer science, not woo. I'll consult a neurology textbook.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Nuclear Wessel I prefer real names and educational degrees related to the subject matter. But that type of transparency and merit isn't very popular these days, sadly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I smell a bot.

Casual investigation says not. Here's his bio from the site he linked earlier:

https://ubannotated.com/main-menu/animated/more-about-and-by-halbert-katzen/

Haphazard follow-up on selected entries checked out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked