Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'What do you know about 'The Urantia Papers'?'

c.s.lewis

10 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Thanks. it wont help  others believe my claims but you are of course correct.

How about that test? 

Also, got time for that IQ test that @Manwon Lender posted? I'd be interested in seeing your results. A big-brain like you shouldn't take any more than about 10 minutes. I still had time left on mine, so if your IQ is 180 like you've claimed (lmao) I'd imagine it would be child's play for you. 

Mensa IQ Challenge | Mensa International

So far we have:

• An offer for you to take an IQ test, which you haven't accepted.
  • An offer to administer a speed reading test to you that you've refused for the reasons given:
    1.) "I could cheat"
    2.) "It's personal, therefore bad"
  • Several offers to prove your psychic abilities, all turned down.

:innocent:

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Speed "reading" is just skimming.

To answer you and nuclear wessel No tha t is not the case, These are two different skills 

Fast Speed reading includes the abilty to see/read  a page in a second  or so.

If you  can then remember that whole page, you can also recall it 

Skimming is normal reading   but not reading every word.  Just getting the gist of the article. It is useful for study but does not   mean you   have  read or understood all of the article.  It is useful at school and is often taught there . It involves techniques based on  common academic   construction of texts, where the introduction   and conclusion give a lot of detail and the first and last sentences in a paragraph also do 

Think of true  speed reading like   this .

A child puts a finger on a single  letter and learns it. Later they put their finger on a word and recognise / read it without having to take the time to read each letter.  By high school they might be able to see a whole sentence in one glance, just as the child saw a letter or a word ie the y dont have to read/ spell out, every letter, or every word, in the mind;, they see/ recognise and read a sentence in one glance  .By college/ university a good reader may be able to read /see a longer paragraph in one glance.  They don't read letter by letter, word byword, or even sentence by sentence, but a paragraph at a time  

I takes some training and time, but you can learn to look at, and see/read, every word on a page in the time it took the child to read one word  

But then you have to put it into your temporary memory store, for later transfer to long term memory 

Unless you  do that, you will know the material for a short time then forget it,  Training your memory is a separate skill from  reading 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Mr Walker said:

To answer you and nuclear wessel No tha t is not the case, These are two different skills 

Fast Speed reading includes the abilty to see/read  a page in a second  or so.

If you  can then remember that whole page, you can also recall it 

Skimming is normal reading   but not reading every word.  Just getting the gist of the article. It is useful for study but does not   mean you   have  read or understood all of the article.  It is useful at school and is often taught there . It involves techniques based on  common academic   construction of texts, where the introduction   and conclusion give a lot of detail and the first and last sentences in a paragraph also do 

Think of true  speed reading like   this .

A child puts a finger on a single  letter and learns it. Later they put their finger on a word and recognise / read it without having to take the time to read each letter.  By high school they might be able to see a whole sentence in one glance, just as the child saw a letter or a word ie the y dont have to read/ spell out, every letter, or every word, in the mind;, they see/ recognise and read a sentence in one glance  .By college/ university a good reader may be able to read /see a longer paragraph in one glance.  They don't read letter by letter, word byword, or even sentence by sentence, but a paragraph at a time  

I takes some training and time, but you can learn to look at, and see/read, every word on a page in the time it took the child to read one word  

But then you have to put it into your temporary memory store, for later transfer to long term memory 

Unless you  do that, you will know the material for a short time then forget it,  Training your memory is a separate skill from  reading 

The offer is still on the table...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

How about that test? 

Also, got time for that IQ test that @Manwon Lender posted? I'd be interested in seeing your results. A big-brain like you shouldn't take any more than about 10 minutes. I still had time left on mine, so if your IQ is 180 like you've claimed (lmao) I'd imagine it would be child's play for you. 

So far we have:

• An offer to administer a speed reading test to you that you've refused for the reasons given:
    1.) "I could cheat"

Well, I took the test. I'm officially an idiot.:(

Edited by XenoFish
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

How about that test? 

So far we have:

1.) "I could cheat"

I feel no need to . I have done that particular online mensa test 3 times. Not only do i know my results, it wouldn't really be fair ( on you)  to use it as a test  Iq is trainable and you  can improve your Iq with practice (or a t least improve the test results which are  the basis for your IQ )

If you did the test in15 minutes then my assumption  is that either you are a genius or you guessed a lot of answers, and didn't do particularly well.

Some of the logic based questions require a bit of time to think through That particular test was  interesting and challenging for me, because ( from memory )i t uses a lot of spatial pattern recognition and logic Given i cant see images in my mind I have to work out  possibilities using logic rathe than visually. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

If you did the test in15 minutes then my assumption  is that either you are a genius or you guessed a lot of answers, and didn't do particularly well.

ROFLMFAO. I'm not a genius, I didn't guess on any of them, and I received results that I have shared with only one other person.

And yes, I completed the test in 15 minutes.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

How about that test? 

So far we have:

1.) "I could cheat"

Really shouldn't continue this bit since it's so off-topic, but...

The IQ test isn't reading comprehension.  It uses a lot of different skills including pattern matching recognition and logic AND some reading skills.  A high IQ does not necessarily correlate to reading skills.

So...anyway, where were we with this Urantia thing before we got off on this?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

As i said you have preconceived idea of the limitation Bucke put on the cosmic consciousness

What preconception? I read what he had to say about it.

Since the progress of the thread has fairly well established by now that the Urantia Book came to be in a different way than what Bucke and James were writing about, I think you and I can save the rest of the cosmic consciousness discussion for another thread someday.

On the other hand, speed reading would be very handy for any reader of the UB who aspires to get through the whole thing. Maybe one of your superpowers is on-topic after all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Really shouldn't continue this bit since it's so off-topic, but...

The IQ test isn't reading comprehension.  It uses a lot of different skills including pattern matching recognition and logic AND some reading skills.  A high IQ does not necessarily correlate to reading skills.

So...anyway, where were we with this Urantia thing before we got off on this?

Threads in this section always go to Walkerville.

He's afraid to take the test. I did and apparently I need to be locked in a room with crayons and coloring books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

It was never said that an IQ test equated to reading comprehension. That was an additional request made by Manwon to go along with the general theme of what was being discussed, i.e. Walker's nonsensical claims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked