Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US must have only one religion

Eldorado

Disgraced former Donald Trump aide Michael Flynn has sparked outrage by saying that the US must have only one religion.

Mr Flynn, who twice pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI, called for a single religion on stage at the “Reawaken America” conference in San Antonio, Texas, on Saturday night – an event featuring a flurry of Trump loyalists and anti-vaxx doctors.

“If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion," he said.

"One nation under God, and one religion under God.”

MSN

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Disgraced former Donald Trump aide Michael Flynn has sparked outrage by saying that the US must have only one religion.

Mr Flynn, who twice pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI, called for a single religion on stage at the “Reawaken America” conference in San Antonio, Texas, on Saturday night – an event featuring a flurry of Trump loyalists and anti-vaxx doctors.

“If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion," he said.

MSN

are both parties trying to outdo the crazy of the other? both seem to be doubling down on stupid. oh, I forgot, that's the way they've ALWAYS been...

and what happens if you don't get your wish of a Medieval Christian circle jerk? 

**** off, Michael, you crabs in a bucket ass mother****er. A most upstanding man of Gawd, ain't ya? I'm no Democrat, at least not one of its current incarnations, but the Republicans are looking at a long, cold, lasting line of defeat if they keep letting religion dictate legislation 

**** yall. **** all yall. politicians, that is; left and right 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Left or right, you can't fix stupid :(

yet you see it on here every single day...both sides defending heinous actions and legislature. but it's OK, because it went through with votes and we 'stuck it to' our opposing party 

American politics is an absolute ****ing sham, all of it. any medial voices are immediately cast aside when voting time comes around, we revert right back to our bipartisanship and the split between us and them

I dunno what to say anymore, but I won't stop trying 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

yet you see it on here every single day...both sides defending heinous actions and legislature. but it's OK, because it went through with votes and we 'stuck it to' our opposing party 

American politics is an absolute ****ing sham, all of it. any medial voices are immediately cast aside when voting time comes around, we revert right back to our bipartisanship and the split between us and them

I dunno what to say anymore, but I won't stop trying 

I hear you man. It's not about morality and respectability anymore. It's not about honesty and integrity anymore, it's not about kindness and concern for others anymore, It's not about what's good for all the people and the country as a whole anymore. No, it's all about 2 parties trying to make the other's party's life as miserable as possible in spite of the consequences and negative effects it will have on the country as a whole and it's people. And it's all happening while the rest of the world is watching one of the strongest and richest nations in the world collapse and become one of the weakest it's ever been. It's a damn shame brother. 

Edited by thedutchiedutch
  • Like 4

Just now, thedutchiedutch said:

I hear you man. It's not about morality and respectability anymore. It's not about honesty and integrity anymore, it's not about kindness and concern for others anymore,
It's not about what's good for all the people and the country as a whole anymore. No, it's all about 2 parties trying to make the other's party's life as miserable as possible in spite of the consequences and negative effects it will have on the country as a whole and it's people. And it's all happening while the rest of the world is watching one of the strongest and richest nations in the world collapse and become one of the weakest it's ever been. It's a shame brother. 

I absolutely hate to agree with you, but I do. I've always been an outlier and watched the two sides battle it out, but it's becoming hurtful to our very state of being, now. We (implying all parties) willingly sabotage their efforts, when, in the end, they realize the twos' efforts were the same, all along 

such is the state of American politics. an absolute **** show from every angle. I don't know to say anymore, maybe I'll just be one of the folks who just sits back and watches Rome burn? 

• Like 6

Question - what is "ReAwaken America"? I get it's a conference of some kind, is it a partisan gathering to promote the values of conservative Americans, or is it a political activist group attempting to change congress, or is it a Republican gathering organised by the republican party? My guess - it's a faith-based gathering. Based on articles I have found, it seems the ReAwaken America conference was "presented by americanfaith.com", and tickets to these events can be purchased from timetofreeamerica.com! 

Having a Christian group run a conference declaring America should stick with Christian values is not exactly a shocking piece of news! In fact it is exactly what one would expect from a gathering organised by a religious organisation. 

Honestly, if it wasn't Michael Flynn, would this even be news?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

MSN

Who really cares what he says...it's just another way to try to link Trump to someone who is on the fringe.  

We will only see more of this as 2024 approaches

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Left or right, you can't fix stupid :(

Not Left or Right...Left And Right...one and the same....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Did he specify which religion? 

It must be islam, afterall one of the five pillars says:

"There is no god but Allah" 

:innocent:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Having a Christian group run a conference declaring America should stick with Christian values is not exactly a shocking piece of news! In fact it is exactly what one would expect from a gathering organised by a religious organisation.

Whatever happened to separation of church and state? A pulpit is not a soap box.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Whatever happened to separation of church and state? A pulpit is not a soap box.

This isn't about that. This would come under freedom of expression, I would assume. Separation of church and state doesn't apply to a religious group making a statement about what deity they want in control of their country. Separation of church and state would become an issue if americanfaith.com began to donate money to the Republican Party AND expected that donation to essentially "buy" a motion in congress to make America a one-deity nation. Otherwise it's just a public gathering expressing well-known conservative values! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

A church is an organization or denomination. The Church of England is a State Church which the founding fathers abhorred and did not want the United States as a whole to have. A Religion, in general, such as Christianity, is a different beast and isn't exactly prohibited.

in god we trust on currency - Bing images

in god we trust on goverment buildings - Bing images

Edited by Hammerclaw

And what one God or Christianity would that be?  Catholic, Southern Baptist, Evangelical, Mormon, Jehovah's Witnesses, 7th Day Adventist, Quakers?  Every time the Southern Baptists, Lutherans, or Presbyterians have a big convention, they factionalize.   Christians have had some pretty nasty wars among each other.

A church is a political organization that gives a hierarchy power.   It is not really about God or Jesus, just money and power. It is hard to imagine the heads of the different denominations agreeing to share power. without a struggle because they all believe they are the only true believers.

Spirituality is about personal relationships with a deity  States don't like that because they need to be the  gatekeepers to heaven.  You have to do what they say to get there.

It is news because of Flynn.  It surprises me only a little.  Service members take an oath to uphold the Constitution which in spirit allows multiple religions.  Even the 13 colonies  were not united in a single denomination,   Ever read up on the founding of Rhode Island?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It must be islam, afterall one of the five pillars says:

"There is no god but Allah" 

:innocent:

The Abrahamic religions have as the 1st or 2nd Commandment (The Talmud lists it a 2nd) as "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" .

• Like 1

I think Flynn was just inaccurate.  I don't think he was specifying it as any one particular religion (Catholic, Protestant, Mormon).  The 5 main religions Christianity, Judaism, Islamic, Hinduism, and Buddhism are very close to each other.  The Founding Fathers were of different secs of Christianity.  I think he was referring to Christianity but not necessarily exclusively so.  The Founding Fathers did not want to establish a state religion like much of Europe was.  They understood the stigma that the Reformation brought.  That's not to say that this is a Christian nation, which it is, because its people are by and large.  But it is the government that is without religion.  It is guided by those of faith.  John Adams stated that "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other".  I think that is the more important question.  This nation is a melting pot of faiths, the majority are of moral standing.  It is not that this should be a Christian nation, but a moral one.  Which we have slipped away from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Theocratic States of America

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Did he specify which religion? 

Money?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

The Abrahamic religions have as the 1st or 2nd Commandment (The Talmud lists it a 2nd) as "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" .

I guess you missed that I was being sarcastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I guess you missed that I was being sarcastic.

It doesn’t really matter because it raised a good question.  Even though this nation is Christian dominated (and there is nothing wrong with that), this is still the most tolerant of religion in the world.  I think Flynn was referring to morals rather than a particular religion.  And hence, implying that this nation needs to be moral and not immoral.  As long as we remain a moral people, the full promise of the Constitution will be realized.  But once we travel down the immoral path, decay and destruction follows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1