Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum update (November 2021)

Saru

19 minutes ago, acute said:

On my status updates, the cog gives me Hide, Report.

On my replies to status updates, 'Options' gives me Hide.

Like on the forum, there's only a limited window for editing status updates/comments.

Are you trying to edit something you've only just posted or something that's been up for a while ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Saru said:

Like on the forum, there's only a limited window for editing status updates/comments.

I think it used to be greyed out after the time limit.

In that case..... mystery solved!

:tsu:

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, Saru said:

The update has been installed, however work is still ongoing to install the new theme, plugins etc.

Do you envisage it improving the quality of the content?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Inn Spectre said:

It's a forum software update, it doesn't change the site's content.

• Like 1

Update:

• The achievements/ranks system has been delayed for a little longer for more tweaking.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Inn Spectre said:

It already HAS! :tu:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Saru

This is a trivial gripe. Feel free to ignore it. :D

On replies to status updates, there used to be a gap (with a faint line) between the user content and the options & stuff below.

It just looks a bit cluttered now.

It looks like “quotes” often have to be manually expanded, which is annoying.

I guess this saves space or bandwidth?

Edited by Raptor Witness

12 hours ago, acute said:

@Saru

On replies to status updates, there used to be a gap (with a faint line) between the user content and the options & stuff below.

I'll make a note of it and see if I can do something to add a space in there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

It looks like “quotes” often have to be manually expanded, which is annoying.

I guess this saves space or bandwidth?

I think it's likely to reduce the amount of scrolling that's necessary on mobile when browsing threads.

It can be annoying to have to scroll through large, redundant quotes just to get to the reply underneath, so I can see why Invision has added this feature.

• Thanks 1

Update:

• Ranks/achievements have now been activated - you can view your rank/badges in your profile.

I'll be posting up a thread with a full explanation of how this system works, but in summary, there are 15 ranks with various 'point' thresholds. You earn 1 point for a post/comment and 5 points for posting a piece of content ( starting a new thread, posting a blog or posting a status update ).

'Badges' are essentially like achievements in video games - badges are automatically awarded for things like making 1,000 posts etc.

More of these will be added over time.

These two systems essentially replace the old 'Alien Embryo' etc. titles that were based purely on post count.

• Like 2

Now... about "cookies"

Will there finally, be cakes ?

~

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, acute said:

@Saru

This has now been fixed.

• Thanks 1

Looks great!  Absolutely tiny note, I always kinda like people's avatar pictures but the new rank emblem kinda obscures part of it. It's partially covering up your cute cat wizard pic, and noticed it with PA that 'we have cookies' in his avatar pic is now just 'ave cookies'.   Again, utterly minor, and I do like those new emblems. (although I don't understand how you can only be a Celestial but ShaYap is Eternal).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Absolutely tiny note, I always kinda like people's avatar pictures but the new rank emblem kinda obscures part of it.

Actually just noticed it only does this in the forums and not elsewhere, again no big deal, nevermind.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Looks great!  Absolutely tiny note, I always kinda like people's avatar pictures but the new rank emblem kinda obscures part of it. It's partially covering up your cute cat wizard pic, and noticed it with PA that 'we have cookies' in his avatar pic is now just 'ave cookies'.   Again, utterly minor, and I do like those new emblems. 

Yeah it's perhaps not ideal, but it's what Invision has gone with and I think everyone will get used to it after a while.

37 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

(although I don't understand how you can only be a Celestial but ShaYap is Eternal).

He has a higher post count than me and likely a higher ratio of topics and/or status updates.

I'm not far off the highest rank though. ;)

• Haha 3

I really like all of the changes in the board.  It just seems to flow better all the way around. It has a nice feel to it.

Great job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

(although I don't understand how you can only be a Celestial but ShaYap is Eternal).

The top one percent no less, but I ain't rubbing shoulders or elbows with Bezos, Zuckerberg, Gates and the lot...

But I'm putting my phone on "do not disturb" just in case...

~

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 4:13 AM, Saru said:

Are you trying to edit something you've only just posted or something that's been up for a while ?

I would like to add, either I have become smarter ( which I doubt ) or the search function is finally working much better. Has it been upgraded? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joc said:

I really like all of the changes in the board.  It just seems to flow better all the way around. It has a nice feel to it.

Great job!

Chesser Chesser!:D

5 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I would like to add, either I have become smarter ( which I doubt ) or the search function is finally working much better. Has it been upgraded? 

All parts of the forum have been updated, so the search system has received a few improvements as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saru said:

All parts of the forum have been updated, so the search system has received a few improvements as well.

Well it's working great, like never before. This will stop the multiple thread problem that has occurred frequently in the past.

Thanks

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

I love how any subsequent posting of a video is now cut short, pretty much just showing the title. :tsu:

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, Saru said:

I think it's likely to reduce the amount of scrolling that's necessary on mobile when browsing threads.

It can be annoying to have to scroll through large, redundant quotes just to get to the reply underneath, so I can see why Invision has added this feature.

It reduces the visibility of people’s work to the abbreviated, like on Twitter.