Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Megaspider’ can penetrate human fingernails with 1-inch fangs

Eldorado

A zoo in Somersby, Australia was left flabbergasted after receiving an anonymous donation of a giant funnel web spider — armed with powerful fangs that can pierce a human fingernail. A Facebook clip of the creepy crawly is currently blowing up online.

“Having a megaspider handed into the venom program is so amazing,” Michael Tate, education officer of New South Wales’ Australian Reptile Park, told Storyful of the mammoth female arachnid. It was deposited by an unknown samaritan at one of the zoo’s many drop boxes as part of their spider venom antidote program.

Measuring over 3 inches long (twice the length of a normal spider) with nearly 1-inch fangs, the specimen was the biggest Tate had seen in his “30-plus years at the park.”

https://nypost.com/2021/11/16/megaspider-can-pierce-human-fingernails-with-1-inch-fangs/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• The title was changed to ‘Megaspider’ can penetrate human fingernails with 1-inch fangs

In Australia spiders are so big they have health bars. 

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

:no:   nope.  nope.  just nope.

IOW... AW HELL NAW!  :w00t:

• Haha 3

heh its just a funnel web.. ok a big one. .but still just a funnel web :D

• Haha 3

In Britain, spiders are cute, cuddly little things that eat flies and midges for us.   In Australia they hunt elephants.

• Haha 4

On 11/16/2021 at 8:19 PM, Tatetopa said:

How do 1"' fangs compare with a snakes?   What prey does a spider hunt with 1" fangs?

Birds.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I want one.

I recommend it. 

They're delicious.

• Haha 4

How many of us were left both relieved and disappointed by that video?  We were promised a spider biting into a human hand, which I wouldn't want to see but was eagerly anticipating it anyway.  'All' I saw was a massive spider that seemed more afraid than aggressive.  I actually think she looked very lonely by the end.

As Andy says - 

On 11/17/2021 at 7:08 AM, Essan said:

In Britain, spiders are cute, cuddly little things that eat flies and midges for us.   In Australia they hunt elephants.

- British spiders can appear scary but aren't.  House spiders can grow big - up to four inches in span - and they move fast.  But most of the ones we meet are dead and desiccated long before the vacuum gets 'em.  Garden spiders' webs are occasionally a nuisance.  Apart from that, our spiders are our friends.

Unlike the b***** we saw in Malaysia - the Cameron Highlands - which dropped from the ceiling in front of us.  We heard a solid thump as it landed.  It then raised its front two legs and ran straight at us like something from Wes Craven's nightmares, breathing fire and cackling like a deranged clown.1  (I'll admit, I screamed and ran.2  Fast.  But please - don't tell anyone.)

w.r.t. another thread about false memories - I'll concede that parts of this story may have grown in the retelling.

But this bit is 100% true - as the wife delights in reminding me every time I try to appear nonchalant when trapping a British spider.  "Do you remember that spider in..." "YES I DO COS YOU'VE SAID THE SAME BLOODY THING EVERY BLOODY WEEK FOR TEN BLOODY YEARS."

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I recommend it. 

They're delicious.

You have a recipe?

• Haha 2

think that's bad? lol honestly she's not terribly oversized, they get pretty large? 

but in terms of the pure terror factor, I'll introduce you to one of my favorites...the Japanese Giant Funnel Web, aka Macrothele gigas. They're also astonishingly fast whereas Sydney Funnel Webs may be a bit slower. they can also commonly have red fang sheaths and glowing eyes. no comprehensive toxicity studies have been done, to my knowledge, but they're potentially lethal and the only advice is, "don't get bitten" 

ohhhh and they grow 5-6", twice the size of this one 

https://youtu.be/rJ_5kv1twkU

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, Tatetopa said:

How do 1"' fangs compare with a snakes?   What prey does a spider hunt with 1" fangs?

whatever it can safely subdue, although researchers were surprised to find out that the venom is only highly toxic to humans and other primates. a poodle or kitty could get bitten and they'd be fine outside of maybe a gruesome mechanical wound from the very powerful fangs. those are basically what the do the prey in, the venom is just a backup. there are trapdoor spiders from Malaysia that have such powerful mandibles that they are caught in between evolution; they have venom glands, but there's now no duct leading it to the fangs, therefore the spider has no way to inject it https://www.flickr.com/photos/65586506@N04/44415425782 a living dinosaur of a spider, the earliest we know. amazing captives, they have 'trip wires' that extend outside their trap door 

Australia is such a strange place, even the tarantulas there are fairly toxic compared to others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

'The goliath bird-eater' spider - is the world's biggest spider. Compared to him, this australian spider is a dwarf.

05bf886c1a29423660fbdc46ca88cb19.jpg?ssl

and have very weak venom :D

everyone references the Goliath while it has a contender, the Pink Foot Goliath (theraphosa stirmi) which I've HEARD can attain a 13" (33cm)legspan

there's also the Giant Huntsman, Heteropoda maxima, that reaches a 13" legspan but they're very leggy without much body mass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sovreign citizen said:

The most vile creature ever on the continent till the two leggers came.

What.... Eudibamus cursoris?

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 9:34 PM, DingoLingo said:

heh its just a funnel web.. ok a big one. .but still just a funnel web :D

"just"?  I'd be trying to buy a flamethrower if I lived around critters like that.