Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quote function in status updates

Wistman

I've lost the ability to use the 'quote' function in my status updates.  This is not recent, goes back well over a year.  I was hoping it would get fixed with the new configuration, but alas.  Is there a method to it I'm unaware of?   Other members seem to easily do it.  Please help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Wistman said:

I've lost the ability to use the 'quote' function in my status updates.  This is not recent, goes back well over a year.  I was hoping it would get fixed with the new configuration, but alas.  Is there a method to it I'm unaware of?   Other members seem to easily do it.  Please help. 

Talk me through what happens when you try to post a quote, is the quote button itself missing from the editor toolbar or does it not work when you click it ?

1 minute ago, Saru said:

Talk me through what happens when you try to post a quote, is the quote button itself missing from the editor toolbar or does it not work when you click it ?

I have the same problem. No quote button. It doesn't help to highlight text either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Saru.  There's no quote button at all.    There used to be one quite a while ago, then it disappeared altogether.

Edited by Wistman

@zep73 @Wistman - what method are you using to post a status, the +create button, the sidebar widget, or directly from your profile ?

Are the other editor toolbar buttons there with just the quote button missing, or are they all missing ?

Also, if you try using +Create to post a status, does the issue happen there as well ?

This is very odd, the quote button comes up for me in the editor in both cases on Chrome (desktop).

Here's what I see when I use the status updates sidebar widget to start writing a post:

status.thumb.png.6feedeabdf5cf9bf476e07c228b202ad.png

1 hour ago, Wistman said:

Formatting buttons at top only.  No editor buttons, either place.

So on your screen it's just the first three icons and nothing after that ?

2 minutes ago, Saru said:

This is very odd, the quote button comes up for me in the editor in both cases on Chrome (desktop).

Here's what I see when I use the status updates sidebar widget to start writing a post:

status.thumb.png.6feedeabdf5cf9bf476e07c228b202ad.png

So on your screen it's just the first three icons and nothing after that ?

No, all those icons, but no quote button.

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce this at all and unless I can see it happening on my browser, there's not much I can do to fix it.

The only thing I can think of is that you have some plugin/extension installed on your browser that is interfering with the editor.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Saru said:

It's the quote button under replies that is missing.

51 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Chrome, laptop.

Same here ,same problem.i can't quote in other peoples updates either.

It's fine the rest of the time..just updates.

3 minutes ago, zep73 said:

It's the quote button under replies that is missing.

That's a different thing, there is no quote button underneath status update comments/replies.

So you can see the quote button in the editor toolbar as seen in my screenshot above ?

I get the impression that everyone is talking about different things here.

By "quote button", I'm talking about the button in the editor with two inverted commas.

I think some of you are talking about a button with the word "quote" like the one that appears beneath regular forum posts.

If so, there isn't one on the status updates.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Saru said:

So you can see the quote button in the editor toolbar as seen in my screenshot above ?

Yes, but never had any use for that.

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

Yes, but never had any use for that.

Ok, so no issue on your end then, there is no quote button underneath status updates/replies.

Status updates aren't meant to be conversations with long nested quotes etc.

If you want to quote someone, use the quote button in the editor and enclose the text with quote tags manually.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saru said:

Ok, so no issue on your end then, there is no quote button underneath status updates/replies.

Status updates aren't meant to be conversations with long nested quotes etc.

If you want to quote someone, use the quote button in the editor and enclose the text with quote tags manually.

Gotcha!

(Though I have seen others make quotes with name in status updates!)

Same issue for me, using firefox on a tower.

I see direct quotes and get directly quoted in status replies, yet there is no direct quote option I've ever found.

I figured it was a firefox issue, and work around it by using the @name command and then the indirect quote feature Saru mentioned, or not quoting at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zep73 said:

I have seen others make quotes with name in status updates!

2 hours ago, quiXilver said:

I see direct quotes and get directly quoted in status replies, yet there is no direct quote option I've ever found.

Anyone got an example of a status update with a direct quote that they can link me to ?

Perhaps there's a quote feature I'm not aware of - if we can find an example, we can ask the member who made the direct quote how they did it.

8 minutes ago, Saru said:

Anyone got an example of a status update with a direct quote that they can link me to ?

Acute made four comments in this status update of mine:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/profile/176708-zep73/?status=340464&type=status

The third comment was with a direct quote.