Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quote function in status updates

Wistman

27 minutes ago, Saru said:

Anyone got an example of a status update with a direct quote that they can link me to ?

Perhaps there's a quote feature I'm not aware of - if we can find an example, we can ask the member who made the direct quote how they did it.

I'll take a screenshot next time I see it.

@acute - can you help enlighten us on how you add direct quotes in status updates ? (i.e. where the original poster's name etc. shows in the quote title)

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/profile/176708-zep73/?status=340464&type=status

Thank you. :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Saru said:

can you help enlighten us on how you add direct quotes in status updates ?

I've just tried on my laptop, and I don't seem to be able to do an ID'd quote anymore.

I used to highlight the text, then sometimes "Quote selection" would appear, and sometimes it wouldn't.

2 minutes ago, acute said:

I've just tried on my laptop, and I don't seem to be able to do an ID'd quote anymore.

I used to highlight the text, then sometimes "Quote selection" would appear, and sometimes it wouldn't.

Oh yeah, I can see that happening here in the thread, highlighting some text will bring up a small 'quote selection' option.

I can't make it work in the status updates, though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Saru said:

I can't make it work in the status updates, though.

It was unreliable, but now it appears to have gone altogether.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, acute said:

It was unreliable, but now it appears to have gone altogether.

I think if there was meant to be a direct quote button on the status updates, Invision would have included one.

For anyone looking to quote something in a status, therefore, it's best just to use the regular quote button in the editor toolbar for the time being.

• Like 1

Here's a screenshot of ouija ouija's reply that has a direct quote of acute in it, from Nov 16.

142024862_quotefeatureshot.jpg.82b5c37da356f00af72e33350a056f92.jpg

1 hour ago, Saru said:

@ouija ouija - can you recall how you added a direct quote in a status update ?

Thank you. :)

Hi Saru. I held 'left click' as I pulled the cursor along the part I wanted to copy(so that it turned blue) and when I released 'left click', a tiny box with 'quote' in it would appear, immediately below the last part of the blue area. I clicked on this and the quote would appear in the 'reply' window/box. BUT . . . I agree with acute that this was a bit random, it didn't always work.

edit to say: I've just tried to do it now but couldn't get it to work :hmm:

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Hi Saru. I held 'left click' as I pulled the cursor along the part I wanted to copy(so that it turned blue) and when I released 'left click', a tiny box with 'quote' in it would appear, immediately below the last part of the blue area. I clicked on this and the quote would appear in the 'reply' window/box. BUT . . . I agree with acute that this was a bit random, it didn't always work.

Ok, thanks, same method as Acute then - sounds like that feature is not very reliable in status updates (I can't get it to work at all).

This is likely to be a bug with the forum software that Invision will need to sort out in a future update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3