Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

On 11/27/2021 at 11:33 PM, Raptor Witness said:

I'm starting to fantasize about grab and run ....  why I have no idea.

Maybe it’s because you are doing while sleep robbing, it’s the latest in shoplifting crimes!

12 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Not to mention that due to jail/bail reform, even if they are caught they are released that same day. Not even an overnight for such people.

This man agrees:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-car-dealership-smash-and-grab-robbery

The owner of a luxury car dealership in Chicago blasted city leaders during a Monday appearance on ‘The Story’ after smash-and-grab thieves struck his business in a brazen daytime robbery.

"There were kids in here," Joe Perillo, co-owner of Gold Coast Exotic Motor Cars, told host Martha MacCallum. "I am appalled and upset that they would come in on a Saturday at noon or any time in broad daylight and be so brazen that they could do this."

wo men reportedly entered the dealership, known for its showroom of Lamborghinis and Bentleys, around noon on Saturday. One man was armed with a gun and stood by the entrance of the dealership while the other man used a hammer to smash display cases. The men made off with seven luxury watches, with a total value estimated at $2 million.

Perillo said that while he "loves" Chicago, he is considering moving his dealership out of the city, warning that the Democrats' soft-on-crime approach and radical bail reform policies will drive more businesses like his away. 

Mayor Lori Lightfoot suggested last week that retail stores are to blame for the crimes, saying she’s "disappointed" that stores "are not doing more to take safety and make it a priority."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

This man agrees:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-car-dealership-smash-and-grab-robbery

The owner of a luxury car dealership in Chicago blasted city leaders during a Monday appearance on ‘The Story’ after smash-and-grab thieves struck his business in a brazen daytime robbery.

"There were kids in here," Joe Perillo, co-owner of Gold Coast Exotic Motor Cars, told host Martha MacCallum. "I am appalled and upset that they would come in on a Saturday at noon or any time in broad daylight and be so brazen that they could do this."

wo men reportedly entered the dealership, known for its showroom of Lamborghinis and Bentleys, around noon on Saturday. One man was armed with a gun and stood by the entrance of the dealership while the other man used a hammer to smash display cases. The men made off with seven luxury watches, with a total value estimated at $2 million.

Perillo said that while he "loves" Chicago, he is considering moving his dealership out of the city, warning that the Democrats' soft-on-crime approach and radical bail reform policies will drive more businesses like his away. 

Mayor Lori Lightfoot suggested last week that retail stores are to blame for the crimes, saying she’s "disappointed" that stores "are not doing more to take safety and make it a priority."

I would say that wasn't a regular "smash and grab" but rather a plain old fashioned armed robbery.  Seven watches worth two million isn't something random thugs would steal on a spur of the moment.  And why didn't this guy have security with stuff like that around?  I'm raising my eyebrows a bit on this one especially considering jewelry like that is usually insured...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I'm raising my eyebrows a bit on this one especially considering jewelry like that is usually insured...

Does it make a difference if the merchandise is insured or not? I mean, it makes a difference to the person whose shop it is, but as far as prosecuting a crime, should it make a difference? 

• Like 5

Defound the police!!!

Some would say the capitalistic pigs deserve every bit if penny loss. I would have started with bankers though.

And now even more serious. Is police still arriving in like 5 10 min to a crime scene? 

Watches worth millions? That's a fraud in itself already. 

7 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Does it make a difference if the merchandise is insured or not? I mean, it makes a difference to the person whose shop it is, but as far as prosecuting a crime, should it make a difference? 

No guards, the theft of insured property, and the crime based on what the public is currently in an uproar over?

Maybe I watch too much TV but it seems to me to be an inside job- perhaps by the owner himself.  This is just speculation mind you.  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:26 PM, Gromdor said:

I would say that wasn't a regular "smash and grab" but rather a plain old fashioned armed robbery.  Seven watches worth two million isn't something random thugs would steal on a spur of the moment.  And why didn't this guy have security with stuff like that around?  I'm raising my eyebrows a bit on this one especially considering jewelry like that is usually insured...

Sorry but that smells like victim blaming to me.

"She got raped because of the short cut red dress and she was flirty".... NOT an excuse. This fellow likely never needed security before, but now, because he didnt... its his own fault...:rolleyes:

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 5:13 PM, Myles said:

Lori Lightfoot is an idiot. She means well, but she lives in a fantasy world. Many hard liberals do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If this store had a shotgun and blew the brains out of the perp and got into a gun fight with the guy guarding the perp she'd have been talking about how this was just a disenfranchised victim who didn't deserve to die over millionaire's watches. She doesn't mean well. Lori Lootfoot. 

• Like 3

On 12/15/2021 at 12:09 AM, DieChecker said:

Sorry but that smells like victim blaming to me.

"She got raped because of the short cut red dress and she was flirty".... NOT an excuse. This fellow likely never needed security before, but now, because he didnt... its his own fault...:rolleyes:

It is exactly victim blaming.  There is a line where stupidity perfectly explains why the crime happens and I think this guy is on the other side of it if not complicit in it.

But that doesn't mean it wasn't a crime.  In rape it is implied that the woman was "wanting" it because she was scantily dressed and it is a crime that involves consent thus victim blaming involves implying the criminal is innocent because of that implied consent.  That is not true in other crimes.

We can do an experiment regarding this- Put a table at the end of your driveway and put $100 on it with a rock on top.  Tomorrow come and tell eveyone who's fault it is that the 100$ isn't there if it disappears and see what they say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

It is exactly victim blaming.  There is a line where stupidity perfectly explains why the crime happens and I think this guy is on the other side of it if not complicit in it.

But that doesn't mean it wasn't a crime.  In rape it is implied that the woman was "wanting" it because she was scantily dressed and it is a crime that involves consent thus victim blaming involves implying the criminal is innocent because of that implied consent.  That is not true in other crimes.

We can do an experiment regarding this- Put a table at the end of your driveway and put $100 on it with a rock on top.  Tomorrow come and tell eveyone who's fault it is that the 100$ isn't there if it disappears and see what they say.

I think a better experient would be to put the $100 bill in the house's front window. Since the watches were not sitting out by the street, but where secured in cases inside the building.

If someone, other then my kids, steals the bill in the next week, you'll have a fair point.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Sticking with the "rape" analogy, If an attractive woman dressed in a short skirt, revealing top and walked down the street in a known crime ridden part of the city, people would put some of the blame on her for being dumb.  However it is the rapist who is 100% at fault.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Umm…. Still the fault of the thief. Something wouldn’t have been stolen if someone didn’t steal it. 100% the fault of the thief. I know you’re making a “it wouldn’t have been stolen if you didn’t make it easy” argument, but it still takes a thief for theft. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Umm…. Still the fault of the thief. Something wouldn’t have been stolen if someone didn’t steal it. 100% the fault of the thief. I know you’re making a “it wouldn’t have been stolen if you didn’t make it easy” argument, but it still takes a thief for theft. 

I don't get where you think it wouldn't be a crime from what I said.  Especially the bolded part.

10 hours ago, Gromdor said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

I don't get where you think it wouldn't be a crime from what I said.  Especially the bolded part.

And you also don’t get that it’s ONLY a crime because of the theft the situation leading up to it has nothing to do with the crime.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And you also don’t get that it’s ONLY a crime because of the theft the situation leading up to it has nothing to do with the crime.

You must have missed my other post which started the line of thought which included the bolded...

On 12/14/2021 at 5:28 AM, Gromdor said:

No guards, the theft of insured property, and the crime based on what the public is currently in an uproar over?

Maybe I watch too much TV but it seems to me to be an inside job- perhaps by the owner himself.  This is just speculation mind you.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Two Congress members robbed and carjacked in separate incidents 

You reap what you sow

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, Gromdor said:

Heh, I'm a bit late replying to this, but I guess I don't really have much to say except thanks for clarifying your position. Usually when I see someone say "it was insured what's the big deal" it's an attempt to minimise the crime - as in, there's no "victim" so don't bother investigating. Must admit I wasn't expecting an inside job theory, though. 

On 12/14/2021 at 5:06 AM, qxcontinuum said:

Defound the police!!!

Some would say the capitalistic pigs deserve every bit if penny loss. I would have started with bankers though.

And now even more serious. Is police still arriving in like 5 10 min to a crime scene? 

Watches worth millions? That's a fraud in itself already. 

Possibly the one of the dumbest responses so far.  Just pray gun toting thugs don't enter your house and Rob you, although with people like you egging them on perhaps they'll get around to you soon. 

• Like 2

Only a matter of time till stores start having armed guards inside.  Once that happens only a matter of time till an incident occurs with the guards firing on someone or some group and stuff going bad very quickly.

Could be used for marketing too, big box stores advertising the security they have and how it's safe inside while small mom and pop stores wouldnt be able to hire professional armed security.  Assuming it gets to that point.

Arm the security with the bean bag shotguns. Hurt like hell, but probably won't kill the robbers.

88079.jpg.f0dd19f8de8b055e9ff960345127b899.jpg

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Arm the security with the bean bag shotguns. Hurt like hell, but probably won't kill the robbers.

88079.jpg.f0dd19f8de8b055e9ff960345127b899.jpg

I think part of the problem is that a years wages for what a single guard costs exceeds the cost of losses and damages these smash and grab incidents accrue.  General shop lifting takes far more than this annually.  It's a money thing and businesses would rather the public and the police departments shoulder the cost.  Like I said before there was/is almost a 0% prosecution rate for retail theft (smash and grab and shoplifting) so turning this into a public outrage very well might change that.