Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

Police are on the hunt for a pair of smash-and-grab robbers they say stole items from a jewelry store in California Friday night. 

The incident was reported just before 7 p.m. at a Kay Jewelers in the Brea Mall, about 25 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, police said. 

The male suspects used hammers to break display cases at the jewelry store before they stole merchandise and fled the scene, the Brea Police Department tweeted.

Police posted a photo of the suspects on Twitter, who they described as two Black males in their late teens or early 20s, weighing 170 to 180 pounds. Police said they are between 5 feet 9 inches tall to 6 feet tall.

The city of Los Angeles has seen an increase in robberies and burglaries, which follows statewide trends of increasing crime since the COVID-19 pandemic. Last year saw a brash of organized criminal gangs targeting high-end retail stores in smash-and-grab robberies up and down the Golden State.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-police-searching-smash-grab-robbers-broke-display-cases-hammers-kay-jewelers

On 3/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, Gromdor said:

Read farther in the article where it talks about rates in Republican held cities.

You'll never get through to them. They get off on the boot on their necks.

11 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

You'll never get through to them. They get off on the boot on their necks.

I don't think it's just them.  No one seems to read past the title of the link these days.  It's why twitter is so popular- a complex political/scientific/social statement in 80 words or less....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Police Department is searching for a group of suspects who were part of a grab-and-go theft at a Brooklyn vape shop last week. 

The thieves entered the store around 6:40 p.m. on April 20 and could be seen stuffing various items in their pockets. Some of them also took money out of the cash register, according to the NYPD. 

Grand larceny is up 54% so far this year compared to 2021, while burglaries are up 32.4% and robberies are up 46.7%, according to NYPD statistics. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nypd-searching-suspects-brooklyn-vape-shop-grab-and-go-scheme

• Like 1

Video captured by a witness appears to show at least three masked thieves allegedly grabbing items off a shelf at a San Francisco-area Walgreens before running out of the store.

The 41-second clip has gone viral online. It has been viewed more than 1.6 million times on various social media platforms. The video begins with a woman in a pink jacket grabbing items off a shelf and putting them in a bag. Another woman near her also appears to be grabbing items off the shelf. The two women then go to other parts of the store to allegedly grab more items.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-francisco-thieves-caught-on-camera-walgreens

• 2 weeks later...

Police in New York City are searching for a robbery suspect after video captured him pistol-whipping another man during a broad daylight mugging on Friday.

The incident happened around 9:30 a.m. in front of 217-17 89th Avenue in Queens, police said.

The unidentified suspect approached the victim from behind around 9:30 a.m. on Friday on 89th Avenue in Queens, authorities said.

The victim, a 24-year-old male, was walking home when an unknown man approached him from behind, according to authorities. During a physical struggle, police said the suspect pulled out a firearm. 

Video footage shows the struggle between the two men. The suspect is seen striking the victim in the head multiple times with the firearm. The suspect knocks the victim to the ground and continues to hit the victim over the head with the gun.

As of March 8, robberies citywide have risen 44.5% year-to-date, with 5,453 reported so far this year compared to 3,773 reports during the same period in 2021, according to public NYPD data.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-man-pistol-whipped-mugging-video

On 5/3/2022 at 6:52 AM, Myles said:

Video captured by a witness appears to show at least three masked thieves allegedly grabbing items off a shelf at a San Francisco-area Walgreens before running out of the store.

The 41-second clip has gone viral online. It has been viewed more than 1.6 million times on various social media platforms. The video begins with a woman in a pink jacket grabbing items off a shelf and putting them in a bag. Another woman near her also appears to be grabbing items off the shelf. The two women then go to other parts of the store to allegedly grab more items.

Walgreens closes five more San Francisco locations, citing ‘organized retail crime’  Link

The retailer had previously shuttered 17 stores in San Francisco during the past five years, Fox News reported.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Walgreens closes five more San Francisco locations, citing ‘organized retail crime’  Link

The retailer had previously shuttered 17 stores in San Francisco during the past five years, Fox News reported.

I cannot blame them for closing the stores.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Seattle, where they cut the police budget significantly, they are not taking many new sexual assault cases.    Oh how the left hates women.

The worsening staffing crisis at the Seattle Police Department has forced the defunded force to no longer take on new adult sexual assault cases this year, according to a newly revealed internal memo. 

The Seattle Times first reported Tuesday about the four-page memo, which the sergeant in charge of the Sexual Assault/Child Abuse Unit sent internally to interim police Chief Adrian Diaz on April 11. 

In the memo, titled "Staffing Issues," Sgt. Pamela St. John said she currently is not able to assign new adult sexual assault cases "because of other statutory requirements." 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-police-stopped-investigating-new-adult-sexual-assaults

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/16/2022 at 9:07 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

And the race baiters will cry that there isn't any economic activity or development in the poor neighborhoods because of systemic white racism.

Just wait this song and dance will play-out eventually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

And the race baiters will cry that there isn't any economic activity or development in the poor neighborhoods because of systemic white racism.

Just wait this song and dance will play-out eventually.

Yep.  I totally agree.  

• Thanks 1

I was very happy with something I saw last night at the grocery store.  First, lets go back a week or two when I witnessed a shoplifter being confronted on their way out the door.  Several security people were verbally encouraging the guy to put down the items he had before leaving.  The guy answered this is mine and simply left.  No consequences, and from what I've seen typical around the nation.  Well last night as I was walking around I saw a guy obviously shoplifting and while I was checking out he was confronted on his way out of the store.  Two security guards grabbed and held him in place while a third guard emptied his pockets and took items out of his hands.  They then threw him out the door with sufficient force that he fell on the sidewalk fairly hard as they told him never to return.  Why they haven't been treating thieves this way the entire time is just beyond me.  

Stealing has gotten so bad that some items are locked up and you have to get an employee to assist you to get them.   One of these items is ice cream.  The first time I had to have an employee open the freezer for me so I could get some the lady informed me that they had incurred over $30,000 in ice cream losses at that branch in a single year.  I hope we see more intolerance toward crime.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Oh how the left hates women.

You should see their destruction of women sports. Well, what used to be chick sports.

• Like 3

If you support the police and strictly enforcing the law... You're a racist, because specific minorities are unequally being targeted. 

If you support the badly thought out policies enacted after "defunding" the police... You're a racist, because minorities are suffering from more crime.

What is the common denominator here that could be the ACTUAL problem? Hint... Its not the police.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 3:00 PM, Gromdor said:

So was listening to the local new this morning while driving to work and they were talking about the seasonal uptick of another form of robbery- porch pirates.  Apparently they just grab stuff and sell them online.  

My friend had a bag of garbage stolen from her front porch back in the 80's.  I still think it is funny.  Why would you leave anything valuable on yhour front porch?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Why would you leave anything valuable on yhour front porch?

People follow the UPS and Amazon trucks around stealing whatever they leave. Besides that, you are not always home when they drop the packages off. And why would you expect your tables, chairs, plants and other decorations stay on your porch for that matter?

22 minutes ago, Michelle said:

People follow the UPS and Amazon trucks around stealing whatever they leave. Besides that, you are not always home when they drop the packages off. And why would you expect your tables, chairs, plants and other decorations stay on your porch for that matter?

I guess I am thinking that people who live in urban areas don't have very big porches.  The packages is a good point.  Amazon now has the option to pick your package up in Whole Foods.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:52 AM, Myles said:

If memory serves me, I think 17 Walgreens in San Francisco have been shuttered in recent years. All because of these thefts. that sucks,. All those workers laid off,
all the people with prescription meds have to find a new place to go. Gad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

there's another lovely community, Filthadelphia. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago is suffering from businesses moving out because of the high crime rates. 

Gary Rabine, founder of the Rabine Group and owner of 13 businesses, told Fox News Digital this week that surging crime in Chicago was a driving factor in his decision to pull his road paving company out of the city after his crews were repeatedly robbed, sometimes in broad daylight, even after adding security to the jobs.

"We would do thousands of jobs a year in the city, but as we got robbed more, my people operating rollers and pavers we got robbed, our equipment would get stolen in broad daylight and there would usually be a gun involved, and it got expensive and it got dangerous," Rabine told Fox News Digital.

Last week, billionaire Ken Griffin announced he is moving his hedge-fund firm Citadel out of Chicago after citing crime as a major concern over the past few months. 

Along with Rabine and Griffin, other companies have made the decision to pull out of Chicago amid the skyrocketing crime in the city. 

Construction and mining equipment giant Caterpillar announced this month it is moving its headquarters from Deerfield, Illinois, a north shore suburb of Chicago, to Irving, Texas just outside of Dallas.

Global aerospace company Boeing also announced in May it is moving its headquarters out of the Chicago area to Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C

https://www.foxnews.com/us/skyrocketing-chicago-crime-small-businesses-corporations-pack-their-bags

Good. Vote with your feet and dollars, i say.

Once all employment providers leave, maybe the idiots running things will wise up. Unlikely... But I can hope.

Also maybe the populous will rise up and vote the idiots out of office. But again unlikely since the populous has bought into the coolaid the idiots are giving them.

Sad.

And the populous has bought into THEIR inability to move, and so they'll claim to be trapped. Which is just more victim mentality, IMHO. 

Usually being trapped encourages heroic action, as an effort to protect oneself. But not in this case. The trapped claim they can't do anything to improve things and then proceed to make that non-action be reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Good. Vote with your feet and dollars, i say.

Once all employment providers leave, maybe the idiots running things will wise up. Unlikely... But I can hope.

Also maybe the populous will rise up and vote the idiots out of office. But again unlikely since the populous has bought into the coolaid the idiots are giving them.

Sad.

And the populous has bought into THEIR inability to move, and so they'll claim to be trapped. Which is just more victim mentality, IMHO. 

Usually being trapped encourages heroic action, as an effort to protect oneself. But not in this case. The trapped claim they can't do anything to improve things and then proceed to make that non-action be reality.

It will start to spiral down soon in Chicago.  While it is still a large city with lots of tourism, even that will start to fade.   My wife and I used to go to Chicago every couple years.  Stay at a hotel and visit the museums, explore, go to the Navy Pier and other things.   We've decided not to do it anymore.  There are other places we can spend our money.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1