Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

This is who Democrats want to disarm, 

We want to disarm crazy people, not you.  More specifically we want crazy people to go through a background check and waiting period before they buy a new firearm and not sell firearms to crazy odd 18 year old planning to shoot up a school.   Not much to stop them if they already have the weapon though.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Myles said:

It will start to spiral down soon in Chicago.  While it is still a large city with lots of tourism, even that will start to fade.   My wife and I used to go to Chicago every couple years.  Stay at a hotel and visit the museums, explore, go to the Navy Pier and other things.   We've decided not to do it anymore.  There are other places we can spend our money.  

My wife's uncle is very liberal and used to go to Seattle to soak in the liberal atmosphere. Lately after their car got robbed and they were accosted by drug dealers and homeless at an art event, they've decided to try Boise, or Spokane, for their "big city" retreats. They went to Portland a couple times, but the art district downtown is almost as bad as Seattle apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DieChecker said:

My wife's uncle is very liberal and used to go to Seattle to soak in the liberal atmosphere. Lately after their car got robbed and they were accosted by drug dealers and homeless at an art event, they've decided to try Boise, or Spokane, for their "big city" retreats. They went to Portland a couple times, but the art district downtown is almost as bad as Seattle apparently.

Heh, kinda funny... in bad ways... but, still, funny))))

Don't judge me in wrong ways, I'm just picturing your wife's uncle...

What should we expect in a society in which the concept of morality is fading away?  Many kids don’t seem to learn much about morality and common decency from parents who don’t even recognize the concepts themselves.   We learned about Manners.  Remember those? 
   People are turning into mannerless ,noisy, and oh so ‘clever’ imitations of what they see on ‘tv’!   People are even forgetting how to talk properly, using diction and enunciation .  Many speak in barely intelligible short slurs with blurred consonants.     …Pardon me!?? <_<

• Like 6

On 7/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, lightly said:

What should we expect in a society in which the concept of morality is fading away?  Many kids don’t seem to learn much about morality and common decency from parents who don’t even recognize the concepts themselves.   We learned about Manners.  Remember those? 
   People are turning into mannerless ,noisy, and oh so ‘clever’ imitations of what they see on ‘tv’!   People are even forgetting how to talk properly, using diction and enunciation .  Many speak in barely intelligible short slurs with blurred consonants.     …Pardon me!?? <_<

Just incredibly awful how bad things have gotten.  

Two juvenile brothers, aged 10 and 14, turned themselves into the Philadelphia Police Department's homicide unit on Monday for their alleged involvement in the murder of 73-year-old James Lambert, who was beat to death by a group of teens on June 24. 

No formal charges have been filed against the boys yet and their identities have not been released by police. 

Disturbing surveillance footage of the incident released by police shows the group pursuing the man on a street in northwest Philadelphia before striking him with traffic cones shortly before 3:00 a.m. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-juvenile-brothers-10-14-turn-themselves-beating-death-73-year-old-man

• Sad 2

I'm glad they caught the thieves.   

A commercial burglary incident led San Jose police to an underground bunker at a homeless encampment containing thousands of dollars in stolen items.

"The investigation led them to a homeless encampment," the San Jose Police Department said Tuesday on Twitter, adding that they located an "underground bunker" containing "approximately $100,000 worth of stolen goods."

Pictures included in the post show a bunker built into the side of a creek, with items recovered including dozens of power tools, construction equipment, and three shotguns accompanied by boxes of ammunition.

Police say the bunker was elaborate and was equipped with electricity, which they believed was "plugged into somebody else’s source."

Six people were arrested in the case on a "a variety of charges," while the items "will be returned to the victims, including the locally owned business."

The discovery has caused concern among local residents, who expressed fears that more such bunkers could be spread throughout the city and that their homes and businesses could be targeted in the thefts.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-police-discover-underground-bunker-stolen-goods-homeless-encampment

In term of the OP someone might want to 'up' welfare - or is that a vote looser?

35 minutes ago, ethereal_scout said:

In term of the OP someone might want to 'up' welfare - or is that a vote looser?

In the U.S. it is usually a vote looser, more jobs is a vote gainer.

• Like 1

Someones got their economics wrong.

The first rule of the free-market is make sure your customers have money. If you are a plumber how do you work for people with no money.

Higher welfare equals higher expenditure equals more economic demand equals more jobs servicing that demand.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ethereal_scout said:

The first rule of the free-market is make sure your customers have money. If you are a plumber how do you work for people with no money.

Higher welfare equals higher expenditure equals more economic demand equals more jobs servicing that demand.

But if everyone is geting welfare, then where is the money coming from?

• Like 3

Its printed.

TAP 1

Its the principal means of seeing to it that money is injected into an economy.

• Haha 2

Just over a week after being attacked in broad daylight in downtown Los Angeles, Olympian Kim Glass is using her voice to advocate for change in criminal justice policies.

On "America's Newsroom" Friday, Glass shared her recovery process while also advocating for justice for other victims of her attacker, a repeat offender. 

Last week, Glass was attacked with a metal bolt while walking by a homeless camp by 51-year-old Semeon Tesfamariam. He was a repeat offender out on parole despite felony charges in 2018 and 2019. 

"I think that we all deserve the opportunities of freedom, but not if you're a terror to society," Glass said. "History is repeating itself with this. He was let out on probation and he attacked someone else."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/olympian-kim-glass-pleads-la-crime-crackdown-attack-homeless-man

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

"I think that we all deserve the opportunities of freedom, but not if you're a terror to society," Glass said. "History is repeating itself with this. He was let out on probation and he attacked someone else."

We certainly agree on this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another one.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-thieves-steal-high-end-jewelry-smash-and-grab-mall

Three masked men in Florida were captured on video stealing more than $100,000 worth of jewelry in a brazen smash-and-grab at a mall on Tuesday, authorities said.

The theft happened just after 1:30 p.m. at the Diamond Galleria store at the Citrus Park Town Center, the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said.

The suspects entered the mall through an employee entrance on the building’s south side before making their way to the jewelry store, the sheriff's office said. 

I cannot believe how soft it has become on the penalties for crimes.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-hood-army-vet-gets-eighteen-months-prison-stealing-military-gear-embattled-texas-base

A U.S. army veteran who pleaded guilty to stealing $2.1 million worth of military gear from the embattled Texas base Fort Hood was sentenced last week to just a year and a half behind bars. 

Jessica Elaintrell Smith, 30, had already pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government in April. As part of the plea deal, another count on the indictment was dropped. 

Smith, along with co-conspirators Nathan Nichols and Brandon Dominic Brown, are accused of taking 68 PAS-13 scopes, 47 RT 1523 radios, nine AN-PSC 5 radios, four PVS-14 scopes, three-night vision devices, three AN/PRC 117 radios, two receiver/transmitters and one AN-VRC-90 radio sometime overnight between June 16-17, 2021. 

Jessica Elaintrell Smith, 30, was sentenced to 18 months in prison. 

10 career criminals racked up nearly 500 arrests since NY bail reform began

A small group of just 10 career criminals was allowed to run amok across the Big Apple and rack up nearly 500 arrests after New York enacted its controversial bail reform law — and most of them are still out on the streets, The Post has learned.

Stunning statistics compiled by the NYPD, and obtained first by The Post, show that the city’s alleged “worst of the worst” repeat offenders have been busted a total of 485 times since bail reform went into effect in 2020.

Two of the defendants are actually accused of embarking on lives of crime in the wake of bail reform, with one busted 33 times since 2020 and the other busted 22 times, all this year, the data ……

……The NYPD’s list of “notable” career criminals is topped by Harold Gooding, who’s been busted a total of 101 times, with 88 coming since bail reform was enacted…..

……He’s hit one location 20 times. The same location, 20 times.”Lipetri added, “And again, we’re talking about arrests here. We’ve arrested that individual 100 times. How many crimes do you think he really committed? Two hundred? Three hundred? A thousand?”“And guess what? He’s walking around the streets of New York City today, probably committing another crime as we speak,” Lipetri said.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/03/career-criminals-rack-up-nearly-500-arrests-since-ny-bail-reform-began/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

10 career criminals racked up nearly 500 arrests since NY bail reform began

A small group of just 10 career criminals was allowed to run amok across the Big Apple and rack up nearly 500 arrests after New York enacted its controversial bail reform law — and most of them are still out on the streets, The Post has learned.

Stunning statistics compiled by the NYPD, and obtained first by The Post, show that the city’s alleged “worst of the worst” repeat offenders have been busted a total of 485 times since bail reform went into effect in 2020.

Two of the defendants are actually accused of embarking on lives of crime in the wake of bail reform, with one busted 33 times since 2020 and the other busted 22 times, all this year, the data ……

……The NYPD’s list of “notable” career criminals is topped by Harold Gooding, who’s been busted a total of 101 times, with 88 coming since bail reform was enacted…..

……He’s hit one location 20 times. The same location, 20 times.”Lipetri added, “And again, we’re talking about arrests here. We’ve arrested that individual 100 times. How many crimes do you think he really committed? Two hundred? Three hundred? A thousand?”“And guess what? He’s walking around the streets of New York City today, probably committing another crime as we speak,” Lipetri said.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/03/career-criminals-rack-up-nearly-500-arrests-since-ny-bail-reform-began/

It well past the time to hold those responsible for this "bail reform" accountable. How about reckless endangerment for starters.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, ethereal_scout said:

Spoken like a true Scotsman. I know the benefit in Scotland is enough to buy heroin for the whole week!

And if you need a plumber after that, the good old English tax payer can just print the money to pay for the plumber!

What ever happened to personal responsibility? 

Seriously, in this crazy world of leeches and losers who raise the next generations of losers, we need drastic measures to stop the rot. I'd say anyone who presents themselves to a government agency and says "i need money to feed my kids" should be charged with failure to provide the necessities of life and have the kids given to someone who knows how to parent.

Why pay someone who doesn't know how to succeed in life to raise children? We already know the stats are bad. something like 75% of all rapists are from single mother welfare homes. something like 80% of all prisoners as well.

As a taxpayer, we are all paying for the destruction of our own countries. Give me their children and i will raise adults who contribute and who are ashamed of ever going to the government with a hand out asking for a hand out

• Like 1

There's a problem: poverty.

Poverty is the biggest driver of crime there is, money can simply be created. IT makes sense to do it in England because England has the Central Bank.

Is it your money? No - its te States, is it your food, no -it the farmers. So I don['t know why people get so upset at people not working for w while or for ever..

• Confused 1

People need to start shooting thieves.

Smash-and-grab robbers in New York City stole a large amount of high-end jewelry in a heist that was caught on video.

The robbery happened at Rocco's Jewelry in the Bronx on Friday at around 2:30 p.m. The business estimates that they lost $2.15 million worth of merchandise in the heist.

The jeweler, which is in the Fordham Heights section of the Bronx and a short walk away from Fordham University, was closed on Saturday while police investigated the scene.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/thieves-steal-2m-worth-of-valuables-from-new-york-city-jewelry-store-video-shows

7 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

So I don['t know why people get so upset at people not working for w while or for ever..

What? You think those of us who do work and struggle to get what we need and want should just quit complaining about people who Break the Law and take what they want?   How is that logical?  Are you one of those shoplifters that is the subject of this thread?

• Like 2

Report: 10 Criminals Arrested Nearly 500 Times, Thanks to New York’s ‘Insane’ Bail Reform

Many of those individuals remained on the loose, the outlet continued:

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2022/08/06/10-criminals-arrested-500-times-thanks-new-yorks-insane-bail-reform/

What a great use of resources.

37 minutes ago, Zebra3 said:

What a great use of resources.

Does it cost more than incarcerating them?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Does it cost more than incarcerating them?

I'm sure it does for the criminals victims.  

• Like 1