Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

There a security cam footage out there of a squabble between liquor store patrons that culminated with an innocent disabled bystander getting killed by vehicular manslaughter. I won’t post a link cause it’s an unpleasant video. Very senseless and brutal. 

Edited by el midgetron
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The New York Police Department is hoping the public can help find three men wanted for their participation in a baseball bat attack that took place during broad daylight hours.

Police say the suspects were arguing with a man just before 3 p.m. July 31 in the vicinity of Saint John's Place and Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn. One of the suspects was caught on camera battering the victim with a baseball bat.

The victim, identified only as a 31-year-old male, was taken to Kings County Hospital in critical condition

NYPD is asking for the public's help finding three suspects linked to a brutal assault with a baseball bat in Brooklyn.

• Sad 3

On 9/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, el midgetron said:

Do you have any info on this?  Was it just a robbery?   Seemed like they had planned to retrieve something.

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

Do you have any info on this?  Was it just a robbery?   Seemed like they had planned to retrieve something.

According to vidmax a 55 year old man had cash in a bag.

https://vidmax.com/video/214804-insane-car-chase-crash-and-armed-robbery-caught-on-video-just-down-the-street-from-gracie-mansion-nyc

The Toyota driver, who police said was 55 years old, stepped out of his car with his hands up and the armed man snatched a bag from inside the car, witnesses told The News.

Nour said the stunned victim told him there was cash in the bag.

Probably a local business owner taking deposits to the bank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Probably a local business owner taking deposits to the bank.

You are probably correct.  That is now a dangerous errand with the rise in criminal activity.    

• Like 1

This killer was released early:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Memphis murder suspect Cleotha Henderson served roughly 20 years of a 24-year sentence in state prison after the May 2000 abduction and robbery of the attorney Kemper Durand — but he was never granted parole, according to authorities and court records.

Henderson's sentencing documents noted that the court ordered him to serve "100%" of his 24-year sentence due to his violent criminal past under the Sentence Reform Act of 1989. His juvenile rap sheet already included five charges of aggravated assault, a rape charge after he turned 14, and the gunpoint kidnapping of Durand when he was 16.

The five aggravated assault charges came between September 1997 and October 1999. He had seven theft cases between 1995 and 1999, plus additional charges of evading arrest and trespassing. He was first incarcerated as a juvenile in 1997 after his fourth offense.

At 38, Henderson has spent more than half of his life in a Tennessee prison. If he had not been released early, he would have been behind bars on the day police allege he abducted and killed a Memphis mother of two named Eliza Fletcher as she ran her morning jogging route.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/eliza-fletchers-suspected-killer-cleotha-henderson-served-20-years-24-year-sentence-heres-why

• Sad 3

After some time they will realize that all that stuff that they hanker for is worthless.  

Just a personal experience, but this weekend while driving home with the wife and kids, just a half block from our house, was an apparent homeless man dragging a truck bed toolbox. "Apparently homeless" because you never really can tell, but he had long, wild, puffed out hair and beard, and we could tell the only thing he had on was pants. No shoes.

Wife called non-emergency and no one came to check. We thought maybe he'd "borrowed" the toolbox from an open garage nearby. But, we saw him again about three hours later and about five blocks away, still dragging the toolbox. Not sure where he was going, since he was heading further into the neighborhood and away from the outlets.

Point is, town is trending toward lawlessness. Neighbors just a block away had car prowlers. And nearby RVs have had the catalytic converters cut off and stolen. Police show up and just shrug. "File an insurance claim" is their go to now.

There's a huge homeless camp on the north side of town, but due to politics they're protected in that space. Not saying all homeless are criminals, but the correlation between none, and a lot, of homeless versus the crime rate recently, seems a direct correlation.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Just a personal experience, but this weekend while driving home with the wife and kids, just a half block from our house, was an apparent homeless man dragging a truck bed toolbox. "Apparently homeless" because you never really can tell, but he had long, wild, puffed out hair and beard, and we could tell the only thing he had on was pants. No shoes.

Wife called non-emergency and no one came to check. We thought maybe he'd "borrowed" the toolbox from an open garage nearby. But, we saw him again about three hours later and about five blocks away, still dragging the toolbox. Not sure where he was going, since he was heading further into the neighborhood and away from the outlets.

Point is, town is trending toward lawlessness. Neighbors just a block away had car prowlers. And nearby RVs have had the catalytic converters cut off and stolen. Police show up and just shrug. "File an insurance claim" is their go to now.

There's a huge homeless camp on the north side of town, but due to politics they're protected in that space. Not saying all homeless are criminals, but the correlation between none, and a lot, of homeless versus the crime rate recently, seems a direct correlation.

Your description makes me think a wife kicked her drunk husband out and the tool box is the only thing he could take with him, or he was living in his truck and it got repossesed but he was able to get the toolbox while the tow truck driver was hooking it up.   The biggest problem is you don't know what his circumstances were and he was doing no one any harm.   The fact that he was barely dressed and had no shoes indicates to me that something happened to him, not that he stole the toolbox.   We have a lot of homeless people in our city and they are not the ones perpetrating the looting, shop lifting and theivery with very few exceptions.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Your description makes me think a wife kicked her drunk husband out and the tool box is the only thing he could take with him, or he was living in his truck and it got repossesed but he was able to get the toolbox while the tow truck driver was hooking it up.   The biggest problem is you don't know what his circumstances were and he was doing no one any harm.   The fact that he was barely dressed and had no shoes indicates to me that something happened to him, not that he stole the toolbox.   We have a lot of homeless people in our city and they are not the ones perpetrating the looting, shop lifting and theivery with very few exceptions.   

Yeah. I mean, we didn't call the cops over and over, I assumed they either had already talked to him, or knew who he was by description. But it is annoying when you call only once a year and no one shows up.

Which city is that? I can look myself and confirm you have many homeless and zero offenders.

15 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Yeah. I mean, we didn't call the cops over and over, I assumed they either had already talked to him, or knew who he was by description. But it is annoying when you call only once a year and no one shows up.

Which city is that? I can look myself and confirm you have many homeless and zero offenders.

I did NOT say zero offenders, I said rarely is it a homeless person who perpetrates the crimes that are being talked about in this thread.   And even when they do it to get a night in jail, like some used to, it doesn't help because our jails are still full of drug laws offenders and there is no room for the murderers, so the days of the nice sheriff that used to arrest the few homeless on the coldest nights to get them fed and out of the cold are gone.   

I live in Albuquerque if you want to look up statistics and the crimes that are reported committed by the homeless are fighting with each other.   The previous Mayor built a tiny homes park for them and gave them a huge city park to spend the night in to get them off the street corners and out from under the overpasses, but the current Mayor wants to get rid of them without understanding how to do that in a manner that doesn't cause their lives to be worse than they already are, and since 2020 the homeless population had increased.   The current Mayor has changed the rules to get into the tiny homes so that only 2 of the 60 are occupied.   And now he has decided to shut down the park that they are staying in.   The reason for that park was to get the small neighborhood parks cleaned up for the neighborhood people to be able to use them.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

There is something in the air.  Walking past a popular burger joint with a walk-up window where people often stand around begging for money there was a crazy guy spazzing out, yelling and just being scary/weird.  As I walked by he took a swing at me, not a serious one (missed by a foot) but I figure this guy may sooner or later actually punch a random person.  A couple of days later I get on the train with my guitar and since I was only going one stop stand near the door to get off when we reach it.  I have my airPods in so can't hear much when I notice a guy standing across from me seems to be saying something to me so I turn off the music and ask what he said and he starts quoting Will Smith lines from I Am Legend.  I say, Yeah, cool movie.  I turn the music back on and I can see out the corner of my eye dude is yelling at me and the people sitting around me look scared so he must have been saying something pretty good, I ignore him and he punches my guitar case.  At that point I step up to the guy (I'm 6ft and 190 lbs) and yell right in his face I don't need no problems from him and to get the **** away from me.  He takes a step back and turns away from me, starts singing a Beatles song and slowly walks to the other end of the train.  It's getting scary out.  I blame the level of messed up we're at on the the city councils soft on drugs and crime policies. I hope one of them gets beaten by a demented homeless person before I do although I doubt they actually walk around in the city.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I did NOT say zero offenders, I said rarely is it a homeless person who perpetrates the crimes that are being talked about in this thread.   And even when they do it to get a night in jail, like some used to, it doesn't help because our jails are still full of drug laws offenders and there is no room for the murderers, so the days of the nice sheriff that used to arrest the few homeless on the coldest nights to get them fed and out of the cold are gone.   

I live in Albuquerque if you want to look up statistics and the crimes that are reported committed by the homeless are fighting with each other.   The previous Mayor built a tiny homes park for them and gave them a huge city park to spend the night in to get them off the street corners and out from under the overpasses, but the current Mayor wants to get rid of them without understanding how to do that in a manner that doesn't cause their lives to be worse than they already are, and since 2020 the homeless population had increased.   The current Mayor has changed the rules to get into the tiny homes so that only 2 of the 60 are occupied.   And now he has decided to shut down the park that they are staying in.   The reason for that park was to get the small neighborhood parks cleaned up for the neighborhood people to be able to use them.   

Portland is doing much the same. The city council talks a lot of trying to help, and allocating of money. But the reality is sweeps where they tow everything away, and tear down all the tents and cardboard houses. I think there's got to be a better way then simply taking their housing and making them sleep on the sidewalks. Trying to drive them off, rather then trying to fix their actual issues, IMHO. 

Mayor previously was super Woke, and allowed the city to go to hell. Now with lots of bad polling, and companies leaving the downtown, he's turned and become ferocious and ruthless. Typical politician trying to ride the trends.

Our jails are still full, even though they made drug possession none criminal. I'd agree to many recreational users have gone to jail/prison, bit I think the current trend in many places to not prosecute minor offenses has emboldened many... Including the homeless. 

I'd agree the homeless are doing crimes out of desperation, but I don't think we can simply ignore those crimes. The answer is to help the homeless... And sometimes that might be involuntary, IMHO. The craziest need to be institutionalized. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Portland is doing much the same. The city council talks a lot of trying to help, and allocating of money. But the reality is sweeps where they tow everything away, and tear down all the tents and cardboard houses. I think there's got to be a better way then simply taking their housing and making them sleep on the sidewalks. Trying to drive them off, rather then trying to fix their actual issues, IMHO. 

Mayor previously was super Woke, and allowed the city to go to hell. Now with lots of bad polling, and companies leaving the downtown, he's turned and become ferocious and ruthless. Typical politician trying to ride the trends.

Our jails are still full, even though they made drug possession none criminal. I'd agree to many recreational users have gone to jail/prison, bit I think the current trend in many places to not prosecute minor offenses has emboldened many... Including the homeless. 

I'd agree the homeless are doing crimes out of desperation, but I don't think we can simply ignore those crimes. The answer is to help the homeless... And sometimes that might be involuntary, IMHO. The craziest need to be institutionalized. 

I read an article on Portland the other day.  They were saying many people are selling their homes and getting out because of the amount of homeless camps near them.   The crime skyrocketed in those areas.  It makes sense.  Idle hands and all.  Also the desperation of them to get thing either for themselves or to sell.  

is Portland still trending down?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

The current mayor we had has been trying to get the homeless to leave since he got elected.  He even talked the city council into creating a city ordinance to fine anyone who gave someone money on a public street.  The police loved that because then they could just spend their days writing tickets for giving homeless people money.  The city got sued and the ordinance was dropped, but two shifty cops continued to write tickets for two weeks after they were told to stop.  I think they were reprobates enjoying harrassing people.    When the mayor got re-elected it was because the other two candidates that ran against him were worse, one claimed a "law and order" rule that would put all homeless in jail (so we have no room for murderers but he is going to put 2000+ homeless people in jail).  Idiot!   He had been sheriff but got busted and fired for embezzlement, which should have disqualified him from running for any other office, but somehow it doesn't.   The other guy was just a joe blo off the streets who also had his platform for running for mayor revolve around getting rid of the homeless, but he had no viable solutions.

We need to quit being afraid of people who find themselves in the situations and address each one based on their personal needs.   Difficult but the previous mayor we had did a lot to help.  He had two buses and let it be known all over that if people wanted to earn some money they could be at a specific place in the morning and the bus would pick them up, take them to a facility where they would be given breakfast, then divided up into work crews and taken around the city to fix things, clean streets, paint, what ever made the city look better.  They were paid 9 dollars an hour, fed breakfast and lunch and worked 6 hours.   Anyone could do this no questions asked.    He built the tiny homes village and had people living there who were willing.   There were some rules, but they were reasonable.  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I read an article on Portland the other day.  They were saying many people are selling their homes and getting out because of the amount of homeless camps near them.   The crime skyrocketed in those areas.  It makes sense.  Idle hands and all.  Also the desperation of them to get thing either for themselves or to sell.  

is Portland still trending down?

Here is a recent statistic...

Washington County, where I live, to the west of Portland... about 350 homeless. Clackamas county to the south of Portland 250 homeless. Multnomah County, including almost all of the City of Portland, 7000 homeless. 

The actual city has homeless everywhere. Every park. Every sidewalk downtown. Along the freeways. In the bushs of the offramps. Under the overpasses. Along the river front. Cardboard homes, tents, wrecked cars... everywhere. And where there's no tents/homes.... TRASH. Heaps and dunes made of trash. And what isn't buried in trash is covered in graffiti up to about twenty feet up.

The city has a heck of a deep hole to dig out of. Now that they've welcomed all these people, the city SHOULD figure out what to do about them. Most need lots of help. Many need mental Healthcare. They tried defunding the police and giving that money to help the homeless, but, IMHO, it was only enough to bring in more and enable the ones already here.

Here's a map. People are fleeing to the suburbs, as well as out of state. Oregon actually picked up a congressional representative, but if things keep up, that will flip back in a decade.

The circled areas are were most of the homeless are living. The downtown (small circle) and North Portland (bigger circle), which used to be the hip trendy part of town, but now is run down and crime ridden. Downtown in 2019 was still wall to wall people walking everywhere every day. Today, even after covid lockdowns ended, it is a ghost town on the streets.

Coincidentally, or not, the same two areas are where 90% of the Antifa rioting happened two years ago. So the areas were already being run down at that time. With businesses leaving due to six months of rioting. That the mayor allowed to happen.

Screenshot_20220908-101321_Maps.thumb.jpg.b7ae0a842e5d5de471571f1561ad8f13.jpg

You can see (marked home) I live way out at far western end of the metro area, and even here we have homeless wandering the neighborhoods.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Washington County, where I live, to the west of Portland... about 350 homeless. Clackamas county to the south of Portland 250 homeless. Multnomah County, including almost all of the City of Portland, 7000 homeless. 

The actual city has homeless everywhere. Every park. Every sidewalk downtown. Along the freeways. In the bushs of the offramps. Under the overpasses. Along the river front. Cardboard homes, tents, wrecked cars... everywhere. And where there's no tents/homes.... TRASH. Heaps and dunes made of trash. And what isn't buried in trash is covered in graffiti up to about twenty feet up.

The city has a heck of a deep hole to dig out of. Now that they've welcomed all these people, the city SHOULD figure out what to do about them. Most need lots of help. Many need mental Healthcare. They tried defunding the police and giving that money to help the homeless, but, IMHO, it was only enough to bring in more and enable the ones already here.

Here's a map. People are fleeing to the suburbs, as well as out of state. Oregon actually picked up a congressional representative, but if things keep up, that will flip back in a decade.

The circled areas are were most of the homeless are living. The downtown (small circle) and North Portland (bigger circle), which used to be the hip trendy part of town, but now is run down and crime ridden. Downtown in 2019 was still wall to wall people walking everywhere every day. Today, even after covid lockdowns ended, it is a ghost town on the streets.

You can see (marked home) I live way out at far western end of the metro area, and even here we have homeless wandering the neighborhoods.

It is sad to see a beautiful city go downhill like that.  Even worse that it was mostly self afflicted.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

The current mayor we had has been trying to get the homeless to leave since he got elected.  He even talked the city council into creating a city ordinance to fine anyone who gave someone money on a public street.  

That definitely seems excessive.

He had two buses and let it be known all over that if people wanted to earn some money they could be at a specific place in the morning and the bus would pick them up, take them to a facility where they would be given breakfast, then divided up into work crews and taken around the city to fix things, clean streets, paint, what ever made the city look better.  They were paid 9 dollars an hour, fed breakfast and lunch and worked 6 hours.   Anyone could do this no questions asked.    He built the tiny homes village and had people living there who were willing.   There were some rules, but they were reasonable.  

Sounds good, but it doesn't help a lot of them. A problem Portland has run into is that there are so many mentally ill on the streets. They refuse to work at all, and refuse the organized camps and tiny home villages. They'd rather live under a bush with zero rules and their shopping carts full of stuff. And there isn't just hundreds, but many thousands of these people. 

Edited by DieChecker

51 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

That definitely seems excessive.

Sounds good, but it doesn't help a lot of them. A problem Portland has run into is that there are so many mentally ill on the streets. They refuse to work at all, and refuse the organized camps and tiny home villages. They'd rather live under a bush with zero rules and their shopping carts full of stuff. And there isn't just hundreds, but many thousands of these people. 

Albuquerque also has two privately run (non profit) homeless shelters and a huge housing area for displaced women and children.   But it isn't enough.   The 58 empty tiny homes could be used to help but they are not.   It is a complex issue that takes the whole population to resolve, not just laws or bandaid type "fixes".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Coincidentally, or not, the same two areas are where 90% of the Antifa rioting happened two years ago. So the areas were already being run down at that time. With businesses leaving due to six months of rioting. That the mayor allowed to happen.

Hi Die

I live about a 15 minute walk from a transit station and one shelter drops the homeless off next station north so the ride down and wander the neighborhood. There is a bottle return near as well so do get quite a bit of traffic down the back lane that pick through for recycling. Most don’t cause a problem and many of them have passed by when I am working in the garage with the door open and can see a lot of my tools as well as product and have never had any of them try and break in.

Not sure if they were homeless or not but someone did come into the yard and stole my bikes so put a lock on the back gate.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zebra3 said:

I wonder which went downhill quicker or more significantly - San Francisco or Portland.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wonder which went downhill quicker or more significantly - San Francisco or Portland.  

Certainly wasn't the wheelchair people.

• Haha 2

The NYPD is searching for a suspect accused of sucker punching a 69-year-old bodega worker who tried to stop him from shoplifting

The attempted theft and assault happened on Aug. 8 shortly before noon in Long Island City. 

The suspect appeared to stuff items in his pocket and try to walk out of the store but was stopped by the elderly worker, surveillance video shows. 

The worker took the items back from the suspect and started to walk away but was struck from behind and fell to the ground. He was later transported to a local hospital in stable condition. 

Police are now searching for the suspect, who fled the store in an unknown direction after the assault. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-shoplifting-suspect-punches-69-year-old-bodega-worker-attack-caught-video