Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

OK.  So I never trust Fox or CNN so I looked it up myself and according to the FBI (are they trustworthy?) that list is correct. But it makes no sense to me.   I do not see reports of rampant violence in this state, so is the local newspaper keeping them quiet or what?   I don't live in an expensive part of town either, I live in an old neighborhood that still has houses with big yards.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_violent_crime_rate

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh come on, where is Delaware in that list?    And how did New Mexico get to number 2?   And Alaska, really?   They are the largest state with the smallest population.   I think that list is someone's fantasy.   

It seems to come from FOX Carolina.  Here is something about cities, not states.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/most-violent-cities-in-america

The twenty cities with the highest violent crime rates (number of incidents per 100,000 people) are:

1. St. Louis, MO (2,082)
  2. Detroit, MI (2,057)
  3. Baltimore, MD (2,027)
  4. Memphis, TN (2,003)
  5. Little Rock, AR (1,634)
  6. Milwaukee, WI (1,597)
  7. Rockford, IL (1,588)
  8. Cleveland, OH (1,557)
  9. Stockton, CA (1,415)
  10. Albuquerque, NM (1,369)
  11. Springfield, MO (1,339)
  12. Indianapolis, IN (1,334)
  13. Oakland, CA (1,299)
  14. San Bernardino, CA (1,291)
  15. Anchorage, AK (1,203)
  16. Nashville, TN (1,138)
  17. Lansing, MI (1,136)
  18. New Orleans, LA (1,121)
  19. Minneapolis, MN (1,101)
  20. Chicago, IL (1,099)
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

OK.  So I never trust Fox or CNN so I looked it up myself and according to the FBI (are they trustworthy?) that list is correct. But it makes no sense to me.   I do not see reports of rampant violence in this state, so is the local newspaper keeping them quiet or what?   I don't live in an expensive part of town either, I live in an old neighborhood that still has houses with big yards.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_violent_crime_rate

Me either, and yet there area lot of sources out there, probably some of them use the same FBI statistics.  They do tend to be in agreement on a couple of issues.  Overall, violent crime rates in the US  have come down over the last decade even with a bump over the last two years.. Second, crime is not confined to blue states and cities as sometimes claimed.  Some of the highest per capita violent crime rates are in red states and cities. 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/crime-rate-by-state

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/13/most-dangerous-states-in-america-violent-crime-murder-rate/40968963/

It defies what we hear everyday.  Has the lie been repeated often enough that we believe it? No doubt somebody will have some insights. 

Here is the USA Today states on New Mexico.

2. New Mexico

• Violent crime rate: 856.6 per 100,000 people

• Total 2018 murders: 167 (22nd lowest)

• Imprisonment rate: 448 adults per 100,000 (23rd lowest)

• Poverty rate: 19.5% (2nd highest)

• Most dangerous city: Gallup

New Mexico's violent crime rate of 856.6 incidents per 100,000 people is the highest in the contiguous 48 states and second highest nationwide. There were 17,949 violent crimes reported in New Mexico in 2018, a 10.1% increase from the previous year and the largest increase of any state.

Crime tends to be higher in areas where large shares of the population are struggling. In New Mexico, which is one of only two states with a violent crime rate more than double the national average, 19.5% of the population lives below the poverty line

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It seems to come from FOX Carolina.  Here is something about cities, not states.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/most-violent-cities-in-america

The twenty cities with the highest violent crime rates (number of incidents per 100,000 people) are:

1. St. Louis, MO (2,082)
  2. Detroit, MI (2,057)
  3. Baltimore, MD (2,027)
  4. Memphis, TN (2,003)
  6. Milwaukee, WI (1,597)
  7. Rockford, IL (1,588)
  8. Cleveland, OH (1,557)
  9. Stockton, CA (1,415)
  13. Oakland, CA (1,299)
  17. Lansing, MI (1,136)
  20. Chicago, IL (1,099)

Yes, I looked up murders and New Mexico was 10th.   Very weird though because Wilmington, DE with a much smaller population has more murders than Albuquerque.   In 2017 it was more than double and that year even more than NYcity.   I like to blame all the midwesterners that have moved in but I am sure that isn't really it.  They are difficult and annoying but that doesn't mean they are more violent.   I guess some will blame the cartels because they have been watching those two shows that made Albuquerque famous, (and maybe taught a few people that New Mexico actuallly is part of the U.S.), but we don't see that much cartel violence either.   The gangs are bad, but not like L.A. 

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Me either, and yet there area lot of sources out there, probably some of them use the same FBI statistics.  They do tend to be in agreement on a couple of issues.  Overall, violent crime rates in the US  have come down over the last decade even with a bump over the last two years.. Second, crime is not confined to blue states and cities as sometimes claimed.  Some of the highest per capita violent crime rates are in red states and cities. 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/crime-rate-by-state

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/13/most-dangerous-states-in-america-violent-crime-murder-rate/40968963/

It defies what we hear everyday.  Has the lie been repeated often enough that we believe it? No doubt somebody will have some insights. 

Here is the USA Today states on New Mexico.

2. New Mexico

• Violent crime rate: 856.6 per 100,000 people

• Total 2018 murders: 167 (22nd lowest)

• Imprisonment rate: 448 adults per 100,000 (23rd lowest)

• Poverty rate: 19.5% (2nd highest)

• Most dangerous city: Gallup

New Mexico's violent crime rate of 856.6 incidents per 100,000 people is the highest in the contiguous 48 states and second highest nationwide. There were 17,949 violent crimes reported in New Mexico in 2018, a 10.1% increase from the previous year and the largest increase of any state.

Crime tends to be higher in areas where large shares of the population are struggling. In New Mexico, which is one of only two states with a violent crime rate more than double the national average, 19.5% of the population lives below the poverty line

This reminds me that in the 90's most of the violent crime was people from out of state killing each other.   Literally on the highway a lot of times. I haven't heard any stories like that lately.  Then sometime after 2010 3 state cops killed their wives in the exact same way (idiots!) and two even dumped the bodies in the same place.  Turned out they all knew each other and the first one was considered an accident until the second one happened, and the third one happened a week after the 2cnd so all 3 of them were investigated (because a reporter noticed and called their boss asking questions).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

1. St. Louis, MO (2,082)
  2. Detroit, MI (2,057)
  3. Baltimore, MD (2,027)
  4. Memphis, TN (2,003)
  6. Milwaukee, WI (1,597)
  7. Rockford, IL (1,588)
  8. Cleveland, OH (1,557)
  9. Stockton, CA (1,415)
  13. Oakland, CA (1,299)
  17. Lansing, MI (1,136)
  20. Chicago, IL (1,099)

The majority of them are democrat run cities.   Hmmm.

On 10/21/2022 at 2:35 PM, Tatetopa said:

That is the trope.  However, according to FOX Carolina, its kind of a mix of both persuasions:

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/10/18/sc-makes-list-states-with-highest-rates-violent-crime/

Below is the law office’s ranking of the top 10 states with the highest rates of violent crime for 2020:

1. Alaska
  2. New Mexico
  3. Tennessee
  4. Arkansas
  5. Louisiana
  6. Missouri
  7. South Carolina
  8. South Dakota
  9. Arizona
  10. Michigan

This list is per capita.  And if you look at these red states, you'll find at least one major blue city where the majority of the crime occurs.  Most states are red, but it is always the big blue city that controls the state.  If the dems can control 15 of the 25 most populous counties during an election, they can usually carry the victory.  But that is how Trump busted that strategy by winning more counties overall, something like 5 to 1.  Trump has broad appeal.  The democrats are only popular in a few counties and I think that is changing.  These big cities are how the poison continues to infect and infest this country.

Is this how you cover a mass murdering psychopath who mowed down 70 innocent people?

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.f37d4f571df6f340b6899f973118815f.jpg

Apparently It all started because the women were told that it costs $1.75 for extra sauce.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Confused 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:53 AM, Myles said:

The majority of them are democrat run cities.   Hmmm.

A desperate attempt to find somebody who will actually do something about crime.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Apparently It all started because the women were told that it costs $1.75 for extra sauce.

Each one of them deserves to be shot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

A desperate attempt to find somebody who will actually do something about crime.

Doug

The Dems have been failing at that for decades and even more so recently.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Media coverage …. Nil. 
Gender and race swap the groups, angry white fellas throwing stuff at a black teen … BAM. It’s mostly peaceful riots time stirred up by the media.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Dems have been failing at that for decades and even more so recently.

Then why do big city voters prefer Dems?

Doug

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Why indeed. Probably something to do with the sort of people that live in 'the big city'. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere

16 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

That is a great question.   If the party who is in charge is failing you, common sense would be to try another party.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Myles said:

That is a great question.   If the party who is in charge is failing you, common sense would be to try another party.  

Why do people vote against their own interests?

What do you do when one party is trying to govern and has policy ideas and programs, but the other can only say "No?"

I understand why rural voters are PO'd with Dems.  If the Dems would do something for rural people, they'd vote Democrat.  A small town dies when you close the school and the post office.  Rural folks are tired of seeing their towns die.

Of the 157 Representatives who voted to overturn the 2020 election, nearly all come from districts that are undergoing change.  Most of those districts surround big cities and have seen an influx of black and hispanic people, to the extent that whites now average 30% of the population in those districts.  Those districts have below-average incomes and above-average problems.  They have higher suicide rates, higher drug overdose rates and more alcohol-related deaths.  Both Dems and Rubs have ignored those districts and now the chickens have come home to roost.

Doug

I expect crime in Illinois will increase quite a bit as they are passing their law to be soft on criminals.  Making trespassing a class B misdemeanor means that police cannot force someone to leave a residence or business.  That is crazy dumb.  

Crime in Illinois could "spiral out of control" after a new law overhauling the state's criminal justice system goes into effect in January, the mayor of a Chicago suburb said.

"When I said that this is the most dangerous law I've ever seen, I believe that," said Orland Park Mayor Keith Pekau, who is running for Congress in Illinois’ 6th District.

The Illinois Safety, Accountability, Fairness and Equity-Today (SAFE-T) Act changes multiple parts of Illinois' justice system with provisions like ending cash bail; limiting how flights determine whether defendants are flight risks; and allows defendants under electronic monitoring to leave home for 48 hours before they can be charged with escape.

The legislation, which Gov. JB. Pritzker signed into law last year, will go into effect Jan. 1.

"I don't think we know what's coming from this," Pekau told Fox News. "I think we can project that if criminals are allowed to run free and police officers can't protect citizens, citizens are going to start protecting themselves and take the law into their own hands."

The 764-page SAFE-T Act passed both chambers of Illinois' legislature in seven hours with no formal hearings or debates and without input from stakeholders, three former Illinois justice system officials wrote in a Chicago Tribune op-ed.

"The whole thing is concerning to me because it was just a potpourri of everything, and it didn't bring into consideration law enforcement, judges or all the stakeholders in place," Pekau told Fox News. "It was basically to allow criminals to go free."

The law also implements a higher standard on when a defendant can be detained for several crimes, including second-degree murder, aggravated battery, arson and kidnapping. The new rule replaces cash bail with a judge's determination on the defendant's flight risk and risk to the public from the evidence prosecutors submit.  

In addition to eliminating cash bail, Pekau also highlighted how the law will drop trespassing from a Class A misdemeanor to Class B. He said police, as result, won't be able to physically remove non-violent trespassers from a property. 

In Orland Park, "our police officers would say if someone's trespassing, the best tool they have to get someone to leave willingly is to say ‘you’re trespassing, please leave or we will arrest you,'" Pekau said.

"Well, now they can't arrest, they can only write a ticket," he continued. "So, they get to stay in that business, on your property, at your house, etc."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/americas-most-dangerous-law-illinois-candidate-warns-anarchy-criminal-justice-overhaul

At least two thieves use a stolen Mercedes van to smash through front of LA Chanel store before running from an armed guard with loot - the second time in three months the same store has been burglarized

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11353279/Thieves-use-van-smash-LA-Chanel-store-second-time-three-months.html

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I expect crime in Illinois will increase quite a bit as they are passing their law to be soft on criminals.  Making trespassing a class B misdemeanor means that police cannot force someone to leave a residence or business.  That is crazy dumb.  

Crime in Illinois could "spiral out of control" after a new law overhauling the state's criminal justice system goes into effect in January, the mayor of a Chicago suburb said.

"When I said that this is the most dangerous law I've ever seen, I believe that," said Orland Park Mayor Keith Pekau, who is running for Congress in Illinois’ 6th District.

The Illinois Safety, Accountability, Fairness and Equity-Today (SAFE-T) Act changes multiple parts of Illinois' justice system with provisions like ending cash bail; limiting how flights determine whether defendants are flight risks; and allows defendants under electronic monitoring to leave home for 48 hours before they can be charged with escape.

The legislation, which Gov. JB. Pritzker signed into law last year, will go into effect Jan. 1.

"I don't think we know what's coming from this," Pekau told Fox News. "I think we can project that if criminals are allowed to run free and police officers can't protect citizens, citizens are going to start protecting themselves and take the law into their own hands."

The 764-page SAFE-T Act passed both chambers of Illinois' legislature in seven hours with no formal hearings or debates and without input from stakeholders, three former Illinois justice system officials wrote in a Chicago Tribune op-ed.

"The whole thing is concerning to me because it was just a potpourri of everything, and it didn't bring into consideration law enforcement, judges or all the stakeholders in place," Pekau told Fox News. "It was basically to allow criminals to go free."

The law also implements a higher standard on when a defendant can be detained for several crimes, including second-degree murder, aggravated battery, arson and kidnapping. The new rule replaces cash bail with a judge's determination on the defendant's flight risk and risk to the public from the evidence prosecutors submit.  

In addition to eliminating cash bail, Pekau also highlighted how the law will drop trespassing from a Class A misdemeanor to Class B. He said police, as result, won't be able to physically remove non-violent trespassers from a property. 

In Orland Park, "our police officers would say if someone's trespassing, the best tool they have to get someone to leave willingly is to say ‘you’re trespassing, please leave or we will arrest you,'" Pekau said.

"Well, now they can't arrest, they can only write a ticket," he continued. "So, they get to stay in that business, on your property, at your house, etc."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/americas-most-dangerous-law-illinois-candidate-warns-anarchy-criminal-justice-overhaul

It sounds like Mr Pekau might be telling a white lie

https://ilcourtsaudio.blob.core.windows.net/antilles-resources/resources/b3d911ef-bd4e-4263-b86b-0b16fe032ac9/Pretrial Fairness Act Release by Citation Flowchart and Implementation Considerations.pdf

Kathy Hochul self-sabotages campaign with telling response when GOP opponent confronts her about crime

During Tuesday's New York gubernatorial debate, Zeldin reiterated his pledge to declare a "crime emergency" if elected governor.

"The first day that I'm in office, I'm going to declare a crime emergency and suspend cashless bail and these other pro-crime laws," Zeldin said. "My opponent thinks that right now there’s a polio emergency going on but there’s not a crime emergency — different priorities than I’m hearing from people right now.

"Halfway through the debate, she still hasn’t talked about locking up anyone committing any crimes," he added.

Hochul responded that crimes have consequences in New York — but then she dropped an unforgettable line.

"I don't know why that's so important to you," she said of crime issues. "All I know is that we can do more."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/kathy-hochul-crime-debate

Now that's a politician that's in touch with the people.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zebra3 said:

Kathy Hochul self-sabotages campaign with telling response when GOP opponent confronts her about crime

During Tuesday's New York gubernatorial debate, Zeldin reiterated his pledge to declare a "crime emergency" if elected governor.

"The first day that I'm in office, I'm going to declare a crime emergency and suspend cashless bail and these other pro-crime laws," Zeldin said. "My opponent thinks that right now there’s a polio emergency going on but there’s not a crime emergency — different priorities than I’m hearing from people right now.

"Halfway through the debate, she still hasn’t talked about locking up anyone committing any crimes," he added.

Hochul responded that crimes have consequences in New York — but then she dropped an unforgettable line.

"I don't know why that's so important to you," she said of crime issues. "All I know is that we can do more."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/kathy-hochul-crime-debate

Now that's a politician that's in touch with the people.

She doesn't know why crime issues are important?   What a buffoon.