Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

Imma do Des Moines as well cuz I butted in.

Des Moines, IA Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Hmm. Better than all of you guys by a tiny bit. But has a higher rate of violent crime than both Seattle or Portland.

Chance of being a victim of a violent crime in Des Moines: 1:141

In Seattle 1:152

In Portland 1:187

In Tulsa 1:91

7 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I know of an easy way to compare.  Let's Google the three cities you guys mentioned you lived near and compare.  Scrolling up I see Tulsa, Portland, and Seattle.  Lets look them up.

Hmm.  Tulsa is really bad: Tulsa Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Heh, Seattle sucks too:Seattle Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Portland looks to be the best- barely: Portland, OR Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Looking at the states Tulsa is far worst for violent crime and after a quick google- is Republican controlled. 

And if you read, at no point do I blame a political party.  I say high crime can be associated with policy and with poverty.  Seattle has plenty of money and poor policy, OK has lack of money and I have no idea about policy.  Since defunding the police and losing nearly half our force, and since prosecutors refuse to bring charges and judges won't give realistic sentences all types of crime have exploded.  You can see the crime rates rise since 2019.  No peer review necessary.  It's obvious.  Businesses are closing all over the city due to crime and unsafe environments for their employees and and customers. I don't need  a professor to tell me why.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

And if you read, at no point do I blame a political party.  I say high crime can be associated with policy.  Since defunding the police and losing nearly half our force, and since prosecutors refuse to bring charges and judges won't give realistic sentences all types of crime have exploded.  You can see the crime rates rise since 2019.  No peer review necessary.  It's obvious.

But crimes rose in cities that didn't defund too.  To do an experiment you need a control group to compare to.

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

But crimes rose in cities that didn't defund too.  To do an experiment you need a control group to compare to.

I don't.  It's obvious why our city is crime ridden.  Our anti-cop city council due to be re-elected or voted out in two years.  You are over intellectualizing this.  It's obvious. 

Edited by OverSword

https://abc30.com/armed-robbery-san-francisco-leica-store-union-square-sf-crime/12500539/

$178K WORTH OF CAMERA EQUIPMENT STOLEN IN ARMED ROBBERY AT SAN FRANCISCO STORE

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX) -- Hamid Moghadam knows about the city's crime problem all too well. The CEO of San Francisco-based Prologis was robbed at gunpoint outside of his home, in broad daylight.

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

What the heck. Chicago Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Chicago is more crime free than all of us.

1 in 103 chance of being a victim of a violent crime however.

Chicago pop 2.7 million

Seattle pop 700,000

There you go.  Numbers mean something but they don't mean everything.

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Chicago pop 2.7 million

Seattle pop 700,000

There you go.  Numbers mean something but they don't mean everything.

Exactly!  It's why I eyeroll when people say their town is so crime ridden because a store in a city of 2.7 million gets robbed and makes the news.

The per capita or per thousand rates that the site I linked shows a much more accurate picture of crime rate or individual risk than links to individual crimes.  A city can have 50,000 or 5,000,000 after all.

edit to add:  That being said, Seattle/Portland do suck for crime with their really low rankings.  Considering places like San Francisco and Chicago are better than them in that regards.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Imma do Des Moines as well cuz I butted in.

Des Moines, IA Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Hmm. Better than all of you guys by a tiny bit. But has a higher rate of violent crime than both Seattle or Portland.

Chance of being a victim of a violent crime in Des Moines: 1:141

In Seattle 1:152

In Portland 1:187

In Tulsa 1:91

Here is Albuquerque and Wilmington, DE  Both are supposedly safer than only 2% of cities (I find that hard to believe).  Notice Wilimington is 1/3 the size of Albuquerque by population but the crime rate for Wilmington is 16.54 per 1000 people and Albuquerque is 13.38 per 1000 people with fewer property crimes and a lot more violent crimes than Wilmington, but murders are over 3 times more in Wilmington.    

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nm/albuquerque/crime

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/de/wilmington/crime

50 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Thread based on an article by a person that runs peer review platform and his opinion about flaws 

That may be, but peer review is still the gold standard when seeking factual information.

And I have had a couple of article peer reviewed and am well aware of the process's shortcomings.

Doug

3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

That may be, but peer review is still the gold standard when seeking factual information.

The "gold standard" over the police departments and cities own stats?  Amazing. :rolleyes: Why are you too ridiculous to admit that policy affects crime rates?  Unbelievable.  Okay Doug.  Have it your way.  Government policy and shrinking police departments have no impact on crime rates unless a peer reviewed study says so.  I just can't with you anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

What color is the sky in your world?

Doug

The sky or the dust the sun reflects from during the day?

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Whatever you do, don't think for yourself, extrapolate existing facts to come to your own conclusion, use common sense, or simply admit it's a possibility.  Rather, wait for some anonymous expert to do a deep dive study and tell you what you believe.  

If you look at the top 10 most dangerous cities n America, they all have Democrat mayors.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2022/02/23/crime-in-america-study-reveals-the-10-most-dangerous-cities-its-not-where-you-think/?sh=1b99764c7710

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The "gold standard" over the police departments and cities own stats?  Amazing. :rolleyes: Why are you too ridiculous to admit that policy affects crime rates?  Unbelievable.  Okay Doug.  Have it your way.  Government policy and shrinking police departments have no impact on crime rates unless a peer reviewed study says so.  I just can't with you anymore.

Why can't you admit that "policy" is not political, but driven by money for the most part.  If a police chief is a crook you will have lazy and crooked cops.  If your mayor is a crook you will have all kinds of money being mis appropriated or city ordinances against the people (like ordinances that make it illegal to give someone on the street money).   Policy is a generic term and if you want to actually have a viable conversation you need examples of the "policy" that you are complaining about.   Someone already pointed out to you that Tulsa, a republican run city, has much worse crime than Portland or Seattle.

Edited by Desertrat56

21 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Here is Albuquerque and Wilmington, DE  Both are supposedly safer than only 2% of cities (I find that hard to believe).  Notice Wilimington is 1/3 the size of Albuquerque by population but the crime rate for Wilmington is 16.54 per 1000 people and Albuquerque is 13.38 per 1000 people with fewer property crimes and a lot more violent crimes than Wilmington, but murders are over 3 times more in Wilmington.    

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nm/albuquerque/crime

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/de/wilmington/crime

Their definition of "cities" basically includes all towns.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The "gold standard" over the police departments and cities own stats?

Yes.  Because cities often do not employ trained researchers AND because they look only at themselves and do not compare their stats with a significant number of other cities (Significant <30).

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Why are you too ridiculous to admit that policy affects crime rates? 

I believe that it does.  But I don't know how that happens.  And neither do you.

That's why I would like to see results from somebody who knows what he's talking about.

Doug

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

Forbes?  They just make up something and print it.  That's especially obviously when they start talking about climate change.  And that leaves me suspicious of anything they say.

Doug

17 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Why can't you admit that "policy" is not political, but driven by money for the most part.

Because of the defund the police policies enacted by my city council, the decimation of the police due to that and the associated rise in all crime across the board.  

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Because of the defund the police policies enacted by my city council, the decimation of the police due to that and the associated rise in all crime across the board.  

We did not get a defunded police force, they got more money in the last 2 years and our crime has gone up too.   Our murder rate is 4 times what it was 4 years ago, we even have citizens instead of police killing citizens.    Our city council actually has enacted some ordinances that got the city sued as it was against the tax paying population and their claim was they were trying to control the homeless population by fining anyone who gave anyone on the street money.   I could have seen my brother on the street and remembered I owed him money and stopped to give it to him and I would have gotten a ticket.    No one paid the tickets and a law suit was filed which made the council remove that stupid ordinance.   The city council is different than other local and state agencies as they onlly have a small jurisdiction and it is easy to get them to change anything you want them to change.   So get a petition and start going door to door to get signatures, I'm sure there are a lot of people who agree with you.

Edited by Desertrat56

10 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

And neither do you.

Oh, but in this case, yes I do.  It's because of our activist left wing defund the police city council.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Oh, but in this case, yes I do.  It's because of our activist left wing defund the police city council.

So sue the city and vote the b*****s out.   There are several ways to get rid of them, or to even nulify their ordinances.

** LOL   "b u g g e r s' got ****.   

Edited by Desertrat56

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

So sue the city and vote the b*****s out.   There are several ways to get rid of them, or to even nulify their ordinances.

** LOL   "b u g g e r s' got ****.   

The election doesn't happen for two years.  We tried recalling the main POS but she defeated recall by under 50 votes.  It's not easy to get an elected official out of office unless they break the law.  Poor policies are not cause.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1